• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How big is your collection? 0.0

Big enough to have one of these....
titanicmodel.jpg

and a bunch of these:

AoYz_mVCMAA-3pW.jpg

:D

GhaleonEB

I have never seen Titanic even though I'm well aware that it's the second highest grossing movie ever. Guess I'll get it on 3D Blu-ray.

It's one hell of a theatrical experience. If you have an aversion to 3D, catch it in 2D during the run.

Edit: Kagari, recommend me a couple of those books.

rataven

Big enough to have one of these....
novacrystallis.com/Titanic/titanicmodel.jpg

and a bunch of these:

p.twimg.com/AoYz_mVCMAA-3pW.jpg

:D
Dang Kagari! My dad's also a bit of a Titanic nut, so seeing your pics is like looking at his collection. His office could pass for a museum to the ship, it's crazy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari, what prompted your sickness? The Cameron film?

Was before that... I remember we had entire semester on it in English class in 7th grade... which was 1996 or so.

But I think the history is interesting. There's so much to it that it's almost unbelievable... but it really happened. I think a lot of people like the history because it reminds us of a time when life was more innocent... before the two big world wars, and when society was in a "golden age" of technological advances.

rataven

The part that always blew my mind was that the exact location of the wreckage wasn't even known until 1985. There's just something very sad in the idea that such a lively ship remained alone in the darkness for so long, waiting to be found.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The part that always blew my mind was that the exact location of the wreckage wasn't even known until 1985. There's just something very sad in the idea that such a lively ship remained alone in the darkness for so long.

There's a reason people say 'we know more about outerspace than our own oceans.'

StuBurns

Banned
Was before that... I remember we had entire semester on it in English class in 7th grade... which was 1996 or so.

But I think the history is interesting. There's so much to it that it's almost unbelievable... but it really happened. I think a lot of people like the history because it reminds us of a time when life was more innocent... before the two big world wars, and when society was in a "golden age" of technological advances.
It was a bizarrely ironic moment. A profound display of hubris and naivety. I guess it might generally been seen as a golden era, I think people romanticize a lot of periods, most notably the renaissance I imagine.

It's probably the most 'cinematic' event in recent history, an excellent choice for a drama epic.

GhaleonEB

There's a reason people say 'we know more about outerspace than our own oceans.'

I read over the weekend that only 10% of the ocean floor has been mapped, which utterly boggled my mind.

I'm in the mind for more accounts and background on Titanic; I've only read one book on the sinking. Any in particular on your shelf that you recommend?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It was a bizarrely ironic moment. A profound display of hubris and naivety. I guess it might generally been seen as a golden era, I think people romanticize a lot periods, most notably the renaissance I imagine.

It's probably the most 'cinematic' event in recent history, an excellent choice for a drama epic.

To quote Walter Lord's The Night Lives On:

...the Titanic must surely be the greatest news story of modern times: the biggest ship in the world, proclaimed unsinkable, hits an iceberg on her maiden voyage and goes down, taking with her many of the best-known celebrities of the day.

Add to that glamor, all the "if onlys" - if only she had paid more attention to the warnings she had received... if only the last warning had reached the bridge... if only the wireless operator hadn't cut off one final attempt to reach her... if only she had sighted the ice a few second sooner, or a few seconds later... if only there had been enough life boats... if only the water tight bulkheads had gone one deck higher... if only that ship on the horizon had come... if only, if only.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1869152/

Ignore the score. Everyone is comparing it to JC's Titanic.

Script is well written and the CGI is very good for a TV drama.

First episode is out on the interenets.

Watch it.

I watched it the other day. Not too bad for TV, special effects and all. I like that they're focusing more on the class struggles as well as more of the "historical" characters. Although... the actor Cameron got for Captain Smith is perfect and can never be topped.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1869152/

Ignore the score. Everyone is comparing it to JC's Titanic.

Script is well written and the CGI is very good for a TV drama.

First episode is out on the interenets.

Watch it.

Didn't like it. Script moved to fast, too many characters and the ship just looked cheap and unrealistic compared to the film (I know the difference in budgets, but Cameron did the ship so well nothing else looks right to me now)

GhaleonEB

To quote Walter Lord's The Night Lives On:

...the Titanic must surely be the greatest news story of modern times: the biggest ship in the world, proclaimed unsinkable, hits an iceberg on her maiden voyage and goes down, taking with her many of the best-known celebrities of the day.

Add to that glamor, all the "if onlys" - if only she had paid more attention to the warnings she had received... if only the last warning had reached the bridge... if only the wireless operator hadn't cut off one final attempt to reach her... if only she had sighted the ice a few second sooner, or a few seconds later... if only there had been enough life boats... if only the water tight bulkheads had gone one deck higher... if only that ship on the horizon had come... if only, if only.
That bolded bit has always amazed me. If she'd just hit the iceberg head-on, the compartments would have crumpled according to design and Titanic would have been okay. It's such an irony that attempting to avoid the berg is what sank her.

GhaleonEB

The soundtrack is up on Spotify and already sounds better then the CD I have. :D

Well, dammit. I was listening to the OST on the way to work today (and crying my eyes out in the process, probably not the best idea). If the sound quality really is that much better, I might have to spring. I did just get a raise, after all. Hmm.

strafer

Well, dammit. I was listening to the OST on the way to work today (and crying my eyes out in the process, probably not the best idea). If the sound quality really is that much better, I might have to spring. I did just get a raise, after all. Hmm.

Well I have kinda sensitives ears so I pick up on that very easily. :p

Solo

I disagree, he looks rather good in the upcoming The Great Gatsby movie.

pgGJt.jpg

He still looks good when he shaves that goddamn goatee off and gets in shape, but thats only 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time, he has the goatee and the pudge. His head also is getting fucking HUGE with age. It was like a fucking basketball in Inception.

To clarify, I don't think he is ugly. He's a handsome guy, and one of my favorite actors.

Winslet is just gorgeous, and I think she's improved with age since Titanic.

I think you're insane if you think Kate aged better than Leo. Have you seen The Reader? All my dreams shattered.

StuBurns

Banned
I think Leo still looks great. Slightly more weathered, better dressed does a lot for man.

Kate peaked with Eternal Sunshine for me, god damn...

If it helps, I hauled the family and myself there entirely because of you. I was the only one that wanted to go. :lol

The reissue of book is on the way. I've really missed having it, and anticipate I'm somehow find my original once it arrives.

Oh, you saw it in the theatre in 3D? I assumed you rented it on blu. Good effort! Redeemed.

GhaleonEB

Oh, you saw it in the theatre in 3D? I assumed you rented it on blu. Good effort! Redeemed.

Unfortunately, it wasn't in 3D. But we did go to the theater; it rolled through our local theater, which does a lot of second run films. It was just for one day, and I'd concluded Spielberg films generally should be seen that way. I'm glad I did.

StuBurns

Banned
I really regret not going to see TinTin. I saw the trailer and hated it, but of the people I've spoken to about seeing it in 3D at the cinema, it's been universal praise. As a 3D geek, I let myself down really.

I still can't believe you didn't have fun with it, Ghaleon. It was like the perfect Indy movie. Adventure and laughs and exotic locales as only Spielberg could creatively deliver.

You actually criticized the one shot action take for being too long. I couldn't believe my eyes. :(

GhaleonEB

I still can't believe you didn't have fun with it, Ghaleon. It was like the perfect Indy movie. Adventure and laughs and exotic locales as only Spielberg could creatively deliver.

You actually criticized the one shot action take for being too long. I couldn't believe my eyes. :(

I did have fun with it at times; at some point I'll post more impressions in the movie thread (edit: done). Sorry for the derail!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Because he doesn't like to be reminded of his teen hearththrob days and because him and Cameron clashed a bit. Cameron kind of took a few shots at him around Avatar's release too (about how he'd love to work with Winslet again), and I recall Leo not having nice things to say about Avatar.

You won't ever see him in another Cameron movie, that's for sure. Mutual dislike there.

That's too bad. I can understand him not wanting to be reminded of those days, especially given how weak of an actor he was back then (Titanic and Gangs of New York really show this) compared to what he's become . But problems with Cameron is unfortunate, would like to see them collaborate again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That's too bad. I can understand him not wanting to be reminded of those days, especially given how weak of an actor he was back then (Titanic and Gangs of New York really show this) compared to what he's become . But problems with Cameron is unfortunate, would like to see them collaborate again.

TBF even Kate had issues with Cameron. He really pushes his cast hard and in the case of the filming of Titanic, they would have to go through dangerous situations... namely when the ship was sinking in the corridors... iirc, Kate mentioned she nearly drowned in one of those scenes, and the chance of electrocution was very real.

Ashhong

TBF even Kate had issues with Cameron. He really pushes his cast hard and in the case of the filming of Titanic, they would have to go through dangerous situations... namely when the ship was sinking in the corridors... iirc, Kate mentioned she nearly drowned in one of those scenes, and the chance of electrocution was very real.

Yea but look what all that effort did for him. Launched his career!

Dead

well not really...yet
DiCaprio had a ton of Charisma in Titanic, I don't agree that he was just a pretty face. I'd rate his performance in Titanic as better than several of his post Titanic roles to be honest, not all, but some.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yep. Without Titanic's success I think Leo would be in a very different position today.

Well he and his agent were pretty smart. After Titanic, he didn't do much for the next 5 years. Then he did Catch me if you Can, and Gangs of New York, both showed improvement (though I'd still say he was weaker in Gangs of New York, but it might just because Gangs of New York had him acting against a bunch of top tier actors). Ever since that he's been showing great improvement. Give him credit for sticking with it, and not just disappearing like other young actors do.

GhaleonEB

DiCaprio had a ton of Charisma in Titanic, I don't agree that he was just a pretty face. I'd rate his performance in Titanic as better than several of his post Titanic roles to be honest, not all, but some.
Yup, his performance in the film is great. It's tough to play that kind of character well, and he helped ground the entire film.

Well he and his agent were pretty smart. After Titanic, he didn't do much for the next 5 years. Then he did Catch me if you Can, and Gangs of New York, both showed improvement (though I'd still say he was weaker in Gangs of New York, but it might just because Gangs of New York had him acting against a bunch of top tier actors). Ever since that he's been showing great improvement. Give him credit for sticking with it, and not just disappearing like other young actors do.

I think much of that growth came because he's been constantly taking challenging roles. Sometimes you could see the stretch (though I still need to see Gangs), but it's because of that stretch that he's become as great as he is. (I admired his work since Gilbert Grape.)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think much of that growth came because he's been constantly taking challenging roles. Sometimes you could see the stretch (though I still need to see Gangs), but it's because of that stretch that he's become as great as he is. (I admired his work since Gilbert Grape.)

Gangs is still good, and like I said, i think his weak performance might have just been because he was against Danial Day Lewis in top form. Just about everyone in the film got upstaged by him, Brendan Gleeson and Liam Neeson are the only other ones I'd say who kept up with him.

GhaleonEB

Gangs is still good, and like I said, i think his weak performance might have just been because he was against Danial Day Lewis in top form. Just about everyone in the film got upstaged by him, Brendan Gleeson and Liam Neeson are the only other ones I'd say who kept up with him.

Yeah, not many can hold their own with Lewis. Still, my point was that Leo has grown in part by being smart about picking his roles, which I think we agree on.

That gif in the op featuring the scene from a distance showing the signal flare is so eerie. The futility of it is haunting with that huge, dark ocean and that massive ship looking so insignificant. I actually kind of want to see this. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie in its entirety. I remember when I was younger that I used to watch the second VHS tape so much because I was so fascinated by the sinking.

Solo

GONY was Leo is his absolute most awkward youth ---> man transition phase. The goatee and the long hair didn't help, either. He looked much more convincincly adult by the time he did The Departed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom