• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny launches new show KF Games Daily w/ Andrea Rene and Danny O'Dwyer

mrk8885

Banned
Colin was fucking clueless about the industry. Thankfully he longer covers it.

You can dislike his politics and world views, but saying that he's "clueless about the industry" is a completely ridiculous statement. Says much more about your own bias then it does about Colin.

Poutine

Banned
Danny and Andrea are cool but both of them combined cannot add up to the wealth of industry knowledge as Colin. Colin gone from Kinda Funny is similar to Jeff Gertsmann disappearing from Giant Bomb.

Colin was absolutely right in his beliefs against Andrea about the mobile gaming industry.

You can dislike his politics and world views, but saying that he's "clueless about the industry" is a completely ridiculous statement. Says much more about your own bias then it does about Colin.

Clueless might be a bit hyperbolic but a lot of Colin's insight and insider information over the last couple of years is typically ripped right out of threads here on gaf.

Danny and Andrea are cool but both of them combined cannot add up to the wealth of industry knowledge as Colin. Colin gone from Kinda Funny is similar to Jeff Gertsmann disappearing from Giant Bomb.

Colin was absolutely right in his beliefs against Andrea about the mobile gaming industry.

Lol, not even close. Colin Moriarty stans really hold that dude up on the highest of pedestals.

jon_dojah

Banned
I liked Colin's insight on the industry but comparing him to Jeff Gerstmann is INSANE.

What did he say? Missed that one.

Nowhere close to Jeff but he was Kinda Funny's Jeff. And its a big blow to KF to lose someone like that. No one else there fills those shoes. The numbers on Patreon reflect that.

Oregano

I liked Colin's insight on the industry but comparing him to Jeff Gerstmann is INSANE.

What did he say? Missed that one.

The entire industry is biased towards Nintendo and rates their games higher to help them sell games, no one would have cared about Splatoon if it was a Sony system.

Also everyone is lying about liking Breath of the Wild.

The entire industry is biased towards Nintendo and rates their games higher to help them sell games, no one would have cared about Splatoon if it was a Sony system.

It's like you opened the door to my mind and it came rushing back. I won't miss moments like that. That's for sure.

Axass

Lol what? This guy was paid to express his thoughts about gaming?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

lol great insight should have provided the wikipedia source for that as well.
------
Changes sound cool but as a recent returnee I was still happy with the content.
That said I'm glad people that seem to have fallen out because it has gotten stale seem to be happy with these changes. Wish them all the best.
Also I'm never going to say no to more Danny.

Maybe rotate in more minorities.

As a minority myself I can get behind this. Not once did I ever think after seeing/hearing years of Beyond /GoG that "hey we need a Black or Hispanic person on the podcast" but they're are minority personalities I'd like to see on the show. Jose Otero from IGN comes to mind, Miranda Sanchez as well. More involvement from women besides Andrea Rene would also be cool.

Lothars

Nope Colin leaving the games industry is the best thing to happen in a long time. This show sounds great and I will watch it since both Andrea Rene and Danny o'dwyer are fantastic.

I've seen the episodes with them on together and the most egregious thing to happen with them was a disagreement on mobile games that dragged on because they were both arguing different points.

It's more just body language, long silence kinda thing. I'm good at reading people; seeing them perk up, simmer down, regress etc to/from conflict and stronger stances for civility's sake. It felt like when two non-friends hang out with their mutual friend, and haven't learned to get along with each other yet, or just don't.

That's what I meant by palpable tension. They never actually said anything out of turn to the other that doesn't belong in a podcast discussion or disagreement. Whatever anyone else ITT is talking about, that's their view on things, not mine.

Every episode of the gamescast where Andrea or Danny were guests and Colin was still a part of KF, they destroyed Colin in virtually every argument they had. Both of them have more knowledge than Colin, especially in the last few years, and that was evident whenever they had a disagreement. You need to rewatch those episodes if you really think that Colin is more knowledgeable than Danny or Andrea.

mr_chun

Good to see they're pretty much completely overhauling KFG. I don't think they realized how much that channel hinged on Colin. XOXO and Colin Was Right were must-watch shows for me and, while the Gamecast always kinda sucked because of the format, I watched it for Colin. Without him, the whole channel was pretty much dead to me.

Bringing in Danny and Andrea is an A+ move. Not sure if they can stretch that kind of content into a daily show -- might have been better as a weekly podcast -- but I like the move nonetheless. Will watch.

Reformatting the Gamescast to be more like Beyond is the best decision they made, IMO. Will definitely give that show a second chance.

Terrell

Nowhere close to Jeff but he was Kinda Funny's Jeff. And its a big blow to KF to lose someone like that. No one else there fills those shoes. The numbers on Patreon reflect that.

Oh, the numbers for his Patreon reflect something, alright, but not what you think it does.

DeaDPo0L84

My biggest problem with KF is the video titles very rarely reflect the meat of the discussion within said video. For instance they had a video recently titled "Evil Within 2 at e3 2017?" with a 17 minute length. I got excited as a fan of Evil Within to hear these guys go back and forth for 17 minutes concerning Evil Within....nope. They basically just said "yea it sold well so it'll probably be there, okay moving on". That was when I decided im done with them until they can better structure actual topics into a conversation rather than a tagline.

I dont like what kf has become since colin left, like colin and greg were always very insightful and i enjoyed hearing them discuss games togeather. I was really exctited
For kf because i was hoping it was gonna be a small scale just a couple guys shootin the shit about games and life thing like giant bomb is, instead now they just seem really focused on becoming youtube celebreties and hanging out with rooster teeth (i cant stand them) but i get that this is subjective. i used to like beyond and kf, but now they are not for me.

Tankard

As a guy who followed them since Beyond early/middle days, this is hilarious to read. Almost as hilarious as the "we know a lot more about Playstation than everyone else" narrative, they just had the best PS centric podcast, doesn't mean they know it all, they just liked to sell this.

Bulby

Hope it goes well. The gamescast has been some scraping the barrel/ filler shit for a couple months now. Used to tune in everyday.

They definitely need some diversity in the line up and games being played.

Hasney

I'll give it a shot, but I'm bummed that Tim isn't the host and Greg is on the rotating chair. I get the feeling I'd like that setup way more.

Doesn't appeal to me at all. 5 days a week is way too much so I'll just never end up listening. Once a week for 60-90 minutes would be perfect. Like PSILY was.

phanphare

Banned
curious to see how this turns out

once a week seems way too often though, seems like once a week would be preferable and then they could just keep the morning show intact

Zedark

Cool, Danny O'Dwyer is a great mind in gaming. Looking forward to listening to his opinion on topical stuff again!

Past

I don't know much about Andrea Rene and Danny O'Dwyer, but please tell me they play games regularly. My major gripe with KF right now is that no one in the company play games except for Greg & Tim and both of them barely even play these days. Seems like they're more interested in hyping games rather than actually playing them.

*Tin foil hat time*

I honestly think he's onto something somewhat here. I don't fully agree with the Splatoon thing because it's a great game, but I could imagine something like ARMS releasing on PSN and it getting massively ignored -- even if it got very strong review scores.

I also think this works two ways: games like Puppeteer, LittleBigPlanet, and Tearaway would be much more appreciated if they had Nintendo on the box IMO. I was playing the Robot Rescue demo in The Playroom VR recently, and I couldn't help but think if it was the EXACT same experience with the character model swapped to Mario, people would be going absolutely mental over it.

I dunno, I didn't hear Colin's argument so I don't know how forcefully he put it across, but there is a nugget of truth to that line of thinking IMO -- no matter how small.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't think any of this has to do with critics actively trying to help Nintendo sell games. That part's certainly nonsense.

itshutton

Saw those hosts coming, but surprised it's daily. I'm a bit worried it means more rambling nonsense and less topical discussion like there used to be.

*Tin foil hat time*

I honestly think he's onto something somewhat here. I don't fully agree with the Splatoon thing because it's a great game, but I could imagine something like ARMS releasing on PSN and it getting massively ignored -- even if it got very strong review scores.

I also think this works two ways: games like Puppeteer, LittleBigPlanet, and Tearaway would be much more appreciated if they had Nintendo on the box IMO. I was playing the Robot Rescue demo in The Playroom VR recently, and I couldn't help but think if it was the EXACT same experience with the character model swapped to Mario, people would be going absolutely mental over it.

I dunno, I didn't hear Colin's argument so I don't know how forcefully he put it across, but there is a nugget of truth to that line of thinking IMO -- no matter how small.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't think any of this has to do with critics actively trying to help Nintendo sell games. That part's certainly nonsense.

The world isn't blowing up about arms though. From everything I've heard the gameplay is fine but the final game lacks more content than splatoon 1 at launch. Robot rescue has gotten a ton of hype from the people who have played it but not that many people have Ps vr so it doesn't seem super hyped up. You might be right about the three exclusives you mention but I think it has more to do with knowing your audience. Playstation gamers don't love platformers the way that nintendo ones do. That's obvious. Also worth mentioning that you can put Mario in literally anything and it will get more attention.

I don't really understand KF Games Daily being the evolution of PS I Love You XOXO.

PSILY was a spiritual sucessor to IGN's Podcast Beyond. A playstation-focused show that was more structured and took on the PS related news of that week. While this new show will have the same news-style segment and will be hosted by two people it doesn't feel like an evolution of the previous show the way Greg had set it up previously.

To me this feels like a show they already had planned and with Colin's exit and the death of their previous show they decided to sell it not only as a daily gaming podcast but also "The successor to PSILY" It's pretty clear this show exists because of them rebranding the Kinda Funny Morning Show and them wanting a gaming equivalent.

Basically I don't see how the successor to their Playstation Podcast is a Livestreamed Gaming News Podcast that's posted 5 times a week at half the length.

As for the show itself,

I have qualms about the show's format and how it's gonna get made. Livestreaming it will make the video quality take a hit in most areas. I also don't really see the point in streaming it. There's no focus on their donations and they usually field questions from their forums. I have to assume it's streamed live because it's easy to rip a vod from twitch and upload it so they can avoid the effort that comes from editing footage/audio, rendering and uploading. It also being daily and 45 minutes long doesn't seem great. Seems too short and it being daily is gonna lead to droughts when it comes to news which may become a problem.

That said it makes sense. They need to grow the KFG's brand and a daily gaming news podcast will do wonders for that. It'll be a more fresh and topical version of what the Gamescast is right now and it'll have some much needed fresh blood with Danny and Andrea joining in. While I roll my eyes at this being a continuation of the things Greg did with Beyond and PSILY I do have some excitement for this.

Here's hoping it a good listen/watch during the week.

I'm kinda looking forward to it being streamed everyday, Love the interactive nature of Twitch. It's also been months since Kinda Funny has streamed a good gaming discussion on their Twitch channel. I was disappointed when they bailed on doing a GDC stream this year considering how hype their GDC show was when they first started out.

Nesther

Great news, going to give KF another shot now that Danny is involved. Although I'm not too sure about Tim being involved. He's already a full part of Gamescast which I dont enjoy at all.

GlamFM

Banned
Just watched the first episode and resubscribed to their patreon.

Nice and positive vibes for a change now that this horrible person is gone.

Top Bottom