• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Set for March 2012 in Japan

Maybe the Three Musketeers level was the only way they could think of to put Mickey and friends into the game because there's some stupid story conceit or something that prevents the characters from just being in the game. Like it's about dreams and Nomura's characters becoming more powerful so he just jammed all of the big Disney characters who would get in the way of that into one world. I mean, Disney would probably not be happy if Mickey Mouse and co. were not in the new Kingdom Hearts, so they have to go somewhere. Still, that's a dumb theory. Nomura could just have Mickey pop up at the end and dispense some sage wisdom or just have the standard Magical Kingdom level, but maybe he wanted to do something new or, shit, he actually really liked that direct to DVD Disney movie. Whatever. At least it isn't Agrabah or Halloween Town for the umpteenth time.

Fady K

Since this thread is now here can someone help me out with this Kingdom Hearts inquiry:

I am planning to play through the series throughout 2012. I have only finished the first one, but I managed to snag:

1) Re: Coded
2) Re: Chain of Memories
3) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
3) Kingdom Hearts II
4) Birth by Sleep.

And I am thinking of playing it in that order. Can a poster tell me if this is a good idea? Some people recommended that, for the sake of saving time, not to bother with Re: Coded at all as it is a major rehash of much of the games before it.

Any recommendations? Much thanks guys :)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Since this thread is now here can someone help me out with this Kingdom Hearts inquiry:

I am planning to play through the series throughout 2012. I have only finished the first one, but I managed to snag:

3) Kingdom Hearts II
4) Birth by Sleep.

And I am thinking of playing it in that order. Can a poster tell me if this is a good idea? Some people recommended that, for the sake of saving time, not to bother with Re: Coded at all as it is a major rehash of much of the games before it.

Honestly I would just play Kingdom Hearts II and Birth by Sleep because I'm not too fond of the other handheld games, but maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this question.

Fady K

Honestly I would just play Kingdom Hearts II and Birth by Sleep because I'm not too fond of the other handheld games, but maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this question.

Thanks for the info. The Chain of Memories that I have is the PS2 one btw, not the Gameboy Advance one, so I would like to play that.

I have heard dull things about Re: Coded and 358/2 days, however I would not mind playing through them if they are not too long.

weeaboo

Mother of god, I need this game in my life.

Am I the only one who thinks that they will use all the TWEWY models in this game to make TWEWY2?

Neki

Hmmm...I may skip Coded...do I miss any story bits if I do?

Yes the PS2 one looks quite different than the GBA one.

I just think Coded is a re-hash of Kingdom Hearts I, so you shouldn't be missing much. glad you're playing BBS last though, pinnacle of the series right there.

Hmmm...I may skip Coded...do I miss any story bits if I do?

Even the most significant events in Coded are almost meaningless. I advise you to pretend Coded never existed.

After playing 2 go straight to BBS and be prepared for the most convoluted explanation for some of the major characters existence.

On topic: Tron Legacy. hnng

Fady K

It's not a rehash of KH1 at all.

You've played the series right duckroll? Can you give me your input on whether any of the following are not worth playing at all if I want to know about the story more?

(I plan to go through them in this order)

ReCoded
Re: Chain of Memories
358/2 Days
KHII
Birth by Sleep

duckroll

You've played the series right duckroll? Can you give me your input on whether any of the following are not worth playing at all if I want to know about the story more?

(I plan to go through them in this order)

ReCoded
358/2 Days
KHII
Birth by Sleep

If you're playing for the story, you're doing it wrong. :p

Fady K

Even the most significant events in Coded are almost meaningless. I advise you to pretend Coded never existed.

After playing 2 go straight to BBS and be prepared for the most convoluted explanation for some of the major characters existence.

On topic: Tron Legacy. hnng

Hmmm...may skip Coded, especially if it adds little to a convoluted plot >_<

dqvdqv

Neo Member
ReCoded
KHII
358/2 Days
Birth by Sleep

I would change the order to this instead. Recoded storywise is passable save for the secret ending (which you can easily youtube).

You'd probably enjoy 358/2 more after playing KH2.

duckroll

I'm trying to play them by "chronological order"of the story - with the exception of Birth by Sleep as it looks like the best one so I'm saving the best for last :D

Then you should play Re:Coded last? BbS is the first chronologically, and Re:Coded is the last (until KH3D).

Luthos

I haven't played any of the portable KH games, so these topics just make me long for KH3.

Though if there's one I'd like to play it's Birth by Sleep. I don't have a PSP though. =\

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'll buy this, if it continues to demonstrate of having a good gameplay. Who cares about the story, in this case :p

(I'll see however some snippets about it, because so far my experience with the brand has been the beginning of KH1)

Plasma

Banned
Will I have to play any previous entries in the series to get the story?

I've played Kingdom Hearts 1 though I never got around to finishing it but I did like what I played of it.

Famassu

Going by BBS...October release date for us?
Depends. If it's like Birth By Sleep & KHI (in addition to localization, there's more polish, they've rebalanced some moves & added content), then it might take a bit longer. If it's like KHII and the other games with no additional content & stuff, then it might be a late Q2/early Q3 release..

duckroll

Depends. If it's like Birth By Sleep & KHI (in addition to localization, there's more polish, they've rebalanced some moves & added content), then it might take a bit longer. If it's like KHII and the other games with no additional content & stuff, then it might be a late Q2/early Q3 release..

I think it'll be more obvious when the game will be released depending on when they actually announce it. Recently they announce KH titles about 6 months or more before they release them.

358 Days was announced in Dec 2008, and it was released in Sept 2009.

BbS was announced in March 2010, and it was released in Sept 2010.

Re:Coded was first shown in English at E3 2010, and it was released in Jan 2011.

The KH3D tech demo shown at E3 2010 definitely doesn't count, since it wasn't a part of S-E's actual booth that year, and it was something Nintendo put together themselves. Until S-E formally announces it for NA, and starts a marketing effort for the game, it's not coming out anytime soon.

If I had to guess, I'll say it's a holiday season 2012 release in English.

The Lamp

3) Kingdom Hearts II
4) Birth by Sleep.

Play RECoM, its very important to the KH2 story line and it introduces many elements usef later in the series. The battle system is love/hate it, but I think its very fresh and strategic.

Then play KH2 and then BBS (, its more satisfying to play the prequel after you know most of whats going on)

Then, if you want, Re:Coded and 358/2, but if you don't like t those you can just as easily look up the plot synopsis for those titles.

Axel is in KH3D. Also Terranort and Vanitas. The video is supposedly awesome. Shiki from TWEWY is also in.
Tron Legacy is in, Pete and Maleficent return, and Axel is back is Lea. Rhyme from TWEWY confirmed, as well as Xion and Roxas.

Really now, Joshua or GTFO!

FSLink

Banned

3) Kingdom Hearts II
4) Birth by Sleep.

Go this order:

ReChain of Memories
KH2
KH 358/2 Days
BBS
ReCoded

Feel free to skip 358/2 Days if you don't like it, it's pretty agreed upon that it's kinda lame. ReCoded is pretty solid gameplay wise despite the KH1 worlds rehashing since it uses a watered down version of BBS's battle system. ReChain of Memories is a lot of fun too but I know that some people dislike the card system, so feel free to skip that as well if it ends up not being your thing. If you care a bit about story, ReCoM leads straight into KH2 so that's why I recommend it first. Then again, story in KH is really wacky and over complicated so that really doesn't matter too much, but I feel gameplay wise that this is probably the best order to do it.

Really the only essential ones in the series are KH1, KH2 (and KH2 Final Mix if you can get a copy, there's a translation patch for the menus too), and BBS.

Really now, Joshua or GTFO!
Josh is in.

Fady K

Then you should play Re:Coded last? BbS is the first chronologically, and Re:Coded is the last (until KH3D).

Thanks for the info bro :]

Play RECoM, its very important to the KH2 story line and it introduces many elements usef later in the series. The battle system is love/hate it, but I think its very fresh and strategic.

Then play KH2 and then BBS (, its more satisfying to play the prequel after you know most of whats going on)

Then, if you want, Re:Coded and 358/2, but if you don't like t those you can just as easily look up the plot synopsis for those titles.

Sounds good, thanks for the recommendations The Lamp :D

Go this order:

ReChain of Memories
KH2
KH 358/2 Days
BBS
ReCoded

Feel free to skip 358/2 Days if you don't like it, it's pretty agreed upon that it's kinda lame. ReCoded is pretty solid gameplay wise despite the KH1 worlds rehashing since it uses a watered down version of BBS's battle system. ReChain of Memories is a lot of fun too but I know that some people dislike the card system, so feel free to skip that as well if it ends up not being your thing. If you care a bit about story, ReCoM leads straight into KH2 so that's why I recommend it first. Then again, story in KH is really wacky and over complicated so that really doesn't matter too much, but I feel gameplay wise that this is probably the best order to do it.

Really the only essential ones in the series are KH1, KH2 (and KH2 Final Mix if you can get a copy, there's a translation patch for the menus too), and BBS.

How long are Coded and 358/2 Days btw? (Not mastering it, just playing through the main story)? Again, I'm not only in it for the story, the gameplay is my driving force of course. I heard how after the first game the story starts getting far too convoluted (very unfortunate as I felt the first game had a lot of promise in that department. I was 16 at the time anyway :p).

duckroll

How long are Coded and 358/2 Days btw? (Not mastering it, just playing through the main story)? Again, I'm not only in it for the story, the gameplay is my driving force of course. I heard how after the first game the story starts getting far too convoluted (very unfortunate as I felt the first game had a lot of promise in that department. I was 16 at the time anyway :p).

358 Days is fucking painful. If you can soldier through it, I think it's fairly long. I played like 2 hours of it and it didn't feel like I made any progress at all. It's a very grindy repetitive piece of shit. Mission based.

Re:Coded is a short game, and much more varied. It's about 10 hours long, but at least the minigames and variety keeps it going.

The Lamp

358 Days is fucking painful. If you can soldier through it, I think it's fairly long. I played like 2 hours of it and it didn't feel like I made any progress at all. It's a very grindy repetitive piece of shit. Mission based.

Re:Coded is a short game, and much more varied. It's about 10 hours long, but at least the minigames and variety keeps it going.

As I've said, 358/2's combat system was a major improvement over KH2 (it was actually strategic, and its only natural evolution was the eventual utter joy that was BBS' combat system), and its mission-style gameplay makes it easy to play in short bursts, which is good for a portable like the DS. The story was negligible, unless you were super interested in how Sora/Kairi/Roxas were all connected, and Xigbar's deeper connection to Xehanort, and it rehashed KH1 worlds. But it was okay overall, I'd say.

Also the Kingdom Hearts story is neat-o. KH1 was super memorable for me; the ending is one of my favorites in gaming history.

Ironically, I'm not interested in 3D for the story. They seem to be done delving into new plot arcs until KH3, they're just trying to fill up ambiguous plot holes with complex filler at this point.

Berordn

Ironically, I'm not interested in 3D for the story. They seem to be done delving into new plot arcs until KH3, they're just trying to fill up ambiguous plot holes with complex filler at this point.

KH3D actually seems like it's trying to address and clear up more plot holes than it's opening. It's should be setting the stage for KH3 and maybe addressing some of the points surrounding BBS Part 2. But with how convoluted the story is, that doesn't really matter, this still seems to be the next major point in the plot overall.

Fady K

That about settles it then, if I can't stomach more than an hour or two of 358/2 I'll put it down. Didn't know it was mission based and a grindfest. Thought it was a full on adventure for the DS. Coded's length sounds promising :D Thanks for the info duckroll.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tron Legacy? :/ When they said every Disney world in the game would be new, I had hoped they would be totally new. I guess TL technically IS new, but it's going to be so similar to the existing Tron world. Let's hope they make it different enough.

Tron Legacy? :/ When they said every Disney world in the game would be new, I had hoped they would be totally new. I guess TL technically IS new, but it's going to be so similar to the existing Tron world. Let's hope they make it different enough.

The Tron world was already awesome. Now, it's that again, but with Daft Punk (I hope). ALL IS WELL

Mpl90

I want so much to see the trailer, since it has been described as INCREDIBLE. It's not yet on YouTube, gah.

Famassu

I want so much to see the trailer, since it has been described as INCREDIBLE. It's not yet on YouTube, gah.
We should be getting it in the beginning of next week (they'll upload it to the game's official website) if what I've read is right.

Mpl90

We should be getting it in the beginning of next week (they'll upload it to the game's official website) if what I've read is right.

I was talking about "illegal" upload, from who is at Jump Festa :D
Videos almost immediatly cancelled from the face of the Earth :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh, it's a portable KH game, it may well as be KH4 but re-using worlds is par for the course. Disappointing, yes, but should be expected. I'm still waiting for them to break out the Pixar and Muppets worlds.

It's a portable, but it's still mainline. I hold it to the same standards as I would a console KH. I didn't expect them to use "same-y" worlds because they said they would all be new. It's not a big deal, but I hope someone asks Nomura/whoever why they chose the worlds they chose.

Famassu

I was talking about "illegal" upload, from who is at Jump Festa :D
Videos almost immediatly cancelled from the face of the Earth :p
Ah. Well, we can hope that Square Enix uploads the trailer ASAP on monday morning, which could mean we don't have to wait for much more than maybe 30 hours. That's bearable ;p

It's a portable, but it's still mainline. I hold it to the same standards as I would a console KH. I didn't expect them to use "same-y" worlds because they said they would all be new. It's not a big deal, but I hope someone asks Nomura/whoever why they chose the worlds they chose.
Tron & Tron: Legacy are two different movies, so yes, it is a completely new world. And it seems they are doing something different with the Legacy world in 3D (there's some kind of on-rails shooter segment). If you count that as recycling, then KHII had recycling with Hercules, Hollow Bastion, Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Nightmare Before Christmas, while BBS reused Peter Pan, Hollow Bastion & Hercules. So it's not something the console KHs avoided.

With "all new worlds" they pretty much meant no reusing old locations like the handheld KH games other than BBS did. They might still have related worlds (like Peter Pan worlds of KHI & BBS) or old worlds which have been changed/expanded significantly (Hollow Bastion/Olympus Coliseum).

Top Bottom