• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

ZeroX03

Banned
Is there a downside to using auto-accelerate? I'm enjoying it. My thumb isn't sore from holding down on accelerate!

Atheerios

How does it compare to the wiiu version .. Graphics, gameplay, controller? Thanks.

Same graphics but in 1080p.
Exact same gameplay with three differences:
- A new, third drifting level (purple)
- Auto steering (optional)
- Auto acceleration (optional)
Also a new battle mode.

And the controller... There's no gamepad... That's it.

ZeroX03

Banned
How does it compare to the wiiu version .. Graphics, gameplay, controller? Thanks.

Graphics are 1080p native in console mode. Single player is now solid 60fps. Otherwise no changes.

Gameplay is mostly the same other than double items and a third level of drift, and of course the new battle mode.

Controllers... are the Switch ones? There's no remapping. There's auto accelerate and handling assist.

VanWinkle

Via Amazon's live chat. :(

jwOfRll.png

I pretty much knew by now that I wouldn't be getting it tomorrow, but it still stings. I have Friday off so I was looking forward to playing it.

neurophd

I usually don't buy games digitally, but there are some exceptions where I PREFER digital: racing games, fighting games, and puzzle games. These are great games to always have on the console, ready to go at a moment's notice for a quick round or race. I don't like swapping carts in and out for these.

For example. I'll have a game like BOTW in my cart slot, and play some rounds of MK8D when I need a break from it. Once you get used to this, it's hard to go back to carts for everything.

I still buy RPGs and adventure games almost exclusively on carts, as I rarely replay those and I like the option of being able to resell them.
Thank you for your thoughtful response...you convinced me to go digital for MK8.

ubiblu

Via Amazon's live chat. :(

jwOfRll.png

I pretty much knew by now that I wouldn't be getting it tomorrow, but it still stings. I have Friday off so I was looking forward to playing it.

As an Australian, I just can't understand why GAFers continue to order games from Amazon USA and always get fucked over with Day One deliveries; all in the name of saving a few dollars.

Surely by now there is precedent to not use them if you have any real expectation of playing the game on Day One? The 30% discount is pretty sweet, but again, if D1 is important, why risk it?

I tried buying a $20 code on Amazon, but I hadn't used the card in so long that I forgot I got a new one with a chip and hadn't updated the expiration date.

Took 30 minutes for Amazon to finally acknowledge I updated the card info. Damn lol. At 12% download, you're all better than me already.

As an Australian, I just can't understand why GAFers continue to order games from Amazon USA and always get fucked over with Day One deliveries; all in the name of saving a few dollars.

Surely by now there is precedent to not use them if you have any real expectation of playing the game of Day One? The 30% discount is pretty sweet, but again, if D1 is important, why risk it?

Amazon Primer here. Ive ordered plently of games on amazon. Not a single one hasnt made it to my door stop on release day. Zero complaints on my end.

And Mario Kart 8 shipping confirmation first thing this morning.

VanWinkle

Surely by now there is precedent to not use them if you have any real expectation of playing the game on Day One? The 30% discount is pretty sweet, but again, if D1 is important, why risk it?

This is literally the first time EVER that a game I have pre-ordered from Amazon will have not come on release day. That's why I was so surprised. I didn't even realize that this was a widespread problem. It's never happened to me.

To speak of this game specifically, though, there is more reason. I wasn't going to get this game, as I couldn't justify paying full price since I already owned the Wii U version. However, I saw a couple of posts about people trading their copy in, which is something I never thought to do. I looked around at a few places and saw that Amazon would give me $25 for my copy, which is easily the highest I saw anywhere. So I went ahead and did that and it gave me a $25 gift card. So that, along with Prime discount, allowed me to buy the game at around $25 cash. THAT I could justify.

Atheerios

Because that rarely happens, and Amazon is simply the best retailer in the world, with unmatched consumer service.

conpfreak

This is literally the first time EVER that a game I have pre-ordered from Amazon will have not come on release day. That's why I was so surprised. I didn't even realize that this was a widespread problem. It's never happened to me.

Same for me. They never miss release day if I preorder. Sometimes I'd preorder a game right on the two day prime shipping window and get it on release day. Not sure what's taking so long, but luckily my zip code has same day shipping for items like this. Perhaps this will wind up as a same day shipment?

I had the same deal with Amazon, they said 5/2 was my delivery date.

I persisted for the last hour, and I now have a digital copy that I paid 36 dollars for... so I guess yay for that? I'm just dying waiting for this download to go through.

XaosWolf

ShopTo shipped it early but it is one of those that gets told to only deliver it on a certain day...
So bought it off the eShop to enjoy during my nightshift.

MAH BOI DRY BONES TEARIN' UP THE TRACKS ONCE AGAIN

jwk94

Didn't see this answered but how does playing with friends online work? Is there an invite system or is it like Fast RMX where you just have to trust that they'll join when you have a room going?

Time to smoke a bowl and enjoy my first multiplayer Switch experience. $60 for a game I already own has never felt sooooo good 😎

I haven't played the Wii u version, but I understand the codes in the OP are for private lobbies. Is there a cap to how many people join? Like if 200 of us all wanted to play together, the game auto divides us into groups?

Edit: I needed to read the OP a little more lol. You join lobbies within the larger room

styl3s

ShopTo shipped it early but it is one of those that gets told to only deliver it on a certain day...
So bought it off the eShop to enjoy during my nightshift.

MAH BOI DRY BONES TEARIN' UP THE TRACKS ONCE AGAIN
BONE SQUAD BABY

This download is killing me.

Waiting on Amazon to deliver my copy. I'm really excited. It's my first Nintendo kart game. I need friends on my Switch.

SW-0399-4204-7511
Name: s0uL

I need more Friends for this title when I wake up give me a list of requests please

SW-3443-8795-3698
name: naz

Added, here's also my FC if anyone wants to add me and play.
SW-1761-4276-1421
Name: Artemis
Excited to play on GAF room!

Added

Top Bottom