• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

e_i

I remember playing the first game on the SNES. If you played against Princess Peach, she was brutal as an AI opponent. My sister and I used to call her Princess Butthead because of her assholery.

Shahadan

Got my ass handed online by a kid in a 50cc tournament lmao

Only the two of us online, I waited for him multiple times during the race to not be a dick, and on the final lap he fires 5 green shells at me and finishes 1st

:(

Ninja Dom

I remember playing the first game on the SNES. If you played against Princess Peach, she was brutal as an AI opponent. My sister and I used to call her Princess Butthead because of her assholery.

Yeah on 150cc she just used to activate her invincibility star all the time.

jts

...hate me...
how is rumble better? I haven't heart this.
It's fantastic. HD rumble offers a lot of depth to the vibrations which are very distinct to each situation. You feel the boosts, you feel the wheels spinning when you accelerate before the light turns green, you feel the hits, etc and they all feel different and accurate.

Needs to be experienced.

Protein

Banned
The MKOTKING is back!!! Thanks Roo :D

Here are some .gifs for some HYPE!]

giphy__1___1_.0.gif

This isn't even my final form.

daxy

It's fantastic. HD rumble offers a lot of depth to the vibrations which are very distinct to each situation. You feel the boosts, you feel the wheels spinning when you accelerate before the light turns green, you feel the hits, etc and they all feel different and accurate.

Needs to be experienced.

I feel like we're playing two completely different games. Literally do not feel any difference. Just plain 'ol rumble :U

phanphare

Banned

Needs to be experienced.

hype hype hype

after the Splatoon 2 testfire no game is scratching the hd rumble itch for me

Pastry

Banned
Am I the only one that has been thoroughly unimpressed with HD rumble? Maybe MK8 is where I'll finally notice it.

chekhonte

Needs to be experienced.

Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to experience it. I had no idea that they added that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
had a really great play session at lunch with a buddy.

2p split screen is, imho, an uncompromised experience. Neither of us was EVER struggling to see anything on the screen. If anything more incredible even needed to be said about this game.. it's that it is an amazing 2p multi-player experience on the go (undocked)

3-4p is a little tight. Still playable, still can be fun.. but definitely compromised in your ability to see stuff clearly on the screen. We said afterward.. like if we were standing in line needing to kill time and we had a switch and 4 controllers, it would be fine. But no way could we do like a 1+ hour play session straight on it.

but 2player split screen. holy shit is that going to sell some serious Switches.

Are there any restrictions to buying it from Amazon.jp?

amazon's eshop code? Not at all. That's what we played (on my US Switch/account)

RRockman

Banned

Needs to be experienced.

Oh good. Maybe now people won't be like "lol hd rumble is regular rumble" after it being used well in a mainstream game.

I feel like we're playing two completely different games. Literally do not feel any difference. Just plain 'ol rumble :U

Although this does worry me. Are you using joycons or procontroller?

Kinsei

Banned

Everyone has that one AI racer that hates them. For me it's usually Wario or Bowser Jr.

Am I the only one that has been thoroughly unimpressed with HD rumble? Maybe MK8 is where I'll finally notice it.
It's subtle.
I think the problem is the expectations are like this life-changing gaming sensation and that's not how it comes across even though it certainly adds to the experience if you care about rumble.
Plus, not every game has it if you think so.

Cizard

Are there any restrictions to buying it from Amazon.jp?

Just need a Japanese address on your account but any fake address will do. If you've bought japanese eshop credit from there before you should be good. After that your billing address can be whatever.

Luschient

Ahh dammit, I'll download this tonight. Wasn't going to get it since I had the WiiU version, all the DLC, and played the absolute shit out of it.

Game's too good tho', gotta get it again.

Everyone has that one AI racer that hates them. For me it's usually Wario or Bowser Jr.

In the old Mario Karts isn't there always a "hard" rival AI that's based off who you picked? Maybe this phenomenon is because most of us picked one or two characters all the time, so we only ever noticed the rival AI.

I always remember DK being kind of a jerk in Mario Kart 64. I pretty much always played as either Yoshi or Luigi, so DK might have been the rival to one of them, I guess?

Maybe I'm way off and I'm thinking of a different game.

So for the people using amazon japan to get a download code, I'm running into a problem where despite making a new amazon jp account, it says my region is set to the US and so I can't buy the code, how do I solve this?

jts

...hate me...
Well, plain old rumble would already be an improvement for me since I didn't have any rumble on MK8 (Wii U Pro Controller) :p

To be fair, the thing about Switch's rumble is that the motors are small so the vibrations can be tiny because of that. HD rumble would be better felt by everyone if it used with larger motors I reckon, but there are serious size limitations in a Joy-con.

Just need a Japanese address on your account but any fake address will do. If you've bought japanese eshop credit from there before you should be good. After that your billing address can be whatever.
What if I don't have credit? Do I just create a Amazon.jp account, do a fake address and then pay with my US credit card and use my US billing addesss?

linnu5

That Amazon.jp verification is taking way too long. I should've just waited for the US eshop release by now.

Almost hoping that it doesn't go through since they haven't charged my card yet.

ryushe

Wait, wait, wait... the digital version of this is 5,812 yen on Amazon.jp?

That's effectively $52.. the same as the Amazon Prime discount for physical.

Tempting..........

Moff

I'll probably go digital, does the switch have enough storage space for this or do I need to buy some extra card for more space?

gerudoman

Hmmm, I still don't know if I'll start with the 1P GPs or jump straight into the online. That's what I did with MK7, I even managed to snag a couple victories in tracks I had never raced before and it was an amazing feeling even if I had my ass handed to me quite a few times haha.

I did spoil myself watching a video with all the tracks but that was years ago, having the memory of a goldfish will come in handy for a change!

jts

...hate me...
That Amazon.jp verification is taking way too long. I should've just waited for the US eshop release by now.

Almost hoping that it doesn't go through since they haven't charged my card yet.
Took about one hour for me, saw an info on their website at some point that it can take up to 4. Probably just the worst case scenario.

I'm hoping I can just walk into a Best Buy or something tomorrow and pick it up, as I don't like to do the Pre-Order dance with people. Think I'll have any issues picking it up in store?

Top Bottom