• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None Season 2 |OT| Aziz Ansari's Show Finally Returns (May 12th - Netflix)

sk3

Banned
Just finished New York, I Love you.

I don't think I can handle this show if it gets any better. This is like curb your enthusiasm-tier 30 minute goodness.

LionPride

Banned
Why do you think Dev is terrible? I have to admit that Jeff broke my heart, I loved the interactions between him and Dev.
He was such a dick,
first off, it ain't cool to try and pry away an engaged person from their fiance, shit's not good at all. Then to say you felt used, never once trying to get Franchesca's persepctive on everything, he was the bad guy in his own story this go around.

jmood88

He was such a dick,
first off, it ain't cool to try and pry away an engaged person from their fiance, shit's not good at all. Then to say you felt used, never once trying to get Franchesca's persepctive on everything, he was the bad guy in his own story this go around.
You can't pry someone out of a relationship they want to be in and Francesca went out of her way to set up dates with Dev whenever Pino wasn't around. Like I said before, Dev didn't think about how hard it was for her but she also didn't think about Dev's side of things. And, it's not like he was just trying to prey on her simply because she was in a relationship, he genuinely loved her and she clearly felt similarly.

LionPride

Banned
You can't pry someone out of a relationship they want to be in and Francesca went out of her way to set up dates with Dev whenever Pino wasn't around.

It was still bad man,
personally, if I find myself attracted to someone in a relationship, I don't put myself in situations where anything could happen. No one in that triangle is really in the wrong except for Dev in my perspective. Pino needed to do better, but Francesca kept so much hidden from him then dropped it outta nowhere before they were supposed to leave. Dev with the whole used monologue come across as an asshole.

jmood88

It was still bad man,
personally, if I find myself attracted to someone in a relationship, I don't put myself in situations where anything could happen. No one in that triangle is really in the wrong except for Dev in my perspective. Pino needed to do better, but Francesca kept so much hidden from him then dropped it outta nowhere before they were supposed to leave. Dev with the whole used monologue come across as an asshole.
He had no obligation to save her relationship and she went out of her way to get together with Dev as often as she could. Neither one of them spent much time thinking about how the other felt but it wasn't because they were trying to be assholes about it.

rec0ded1

uuwbog5.gif

This intro needs to be put on youtube stat because I'm sick of going to netflix, launching and watching it multiple times a day.

You can't pry someone out of a relationship they want to be in and Francesca went out of her way to set up dates with Dev whenever Pino wasn't around.

Yeah, fault on both sides. Dev wasn't very empathic with the difficulty of her situation (or at least he is initially when he's talking to Arnold about it he appears to understand the situation, but when he gets frustrated and wants her to make a decision, he doesn't consider the difficulty of her situation much). On the other hand, Francesca engaged and often the pushing force while being engaged and in a relationship for 10 years.

Ledbetter

He was such a dick,

Well, for the first part, I actually agree with jmood88
Francesca should've never started to get more involved with Dev, specially when she started to feel confused
, but you're right with the part when
Dev refuses to listen to Francesca and starts being an asshole, I was like WTF you're doing Dev.

Totakeke

Pretty good season with some amazing episodes, but I can't ever get over Dev's seemingly unrealistic lifestyle and lack of any life issues other than what is currently being focused on the episode.

brau

Pretty good season with some amazing episodes, but I can't ever get over Dev's seemingly unrealistic lifestyle and lack of any life issues other than what is currently being focused on the episode.

After watching up to episode 9 today and having lived in NY i kept wondering. I had it pretty good there, but i never had a carefree kind of lifestyle that he seemed to have. Specially when as an actor it tends to be more competitive and hard. I thought to myself i never experienced NY like its represented in the show, with a seemingly big apartment, parties, and travelling abroad.

The show does a good job at making me miss upstate tho. Those reds and oranges are just simply gorgeous.

Also, Arnold is hilarious. I love Arnold.

This show makes me want to learn Italian better.

All in all, even with the nitpick i just wrote i love this show. Its well directed. Well written. Loved the Thanksgiving episode the best so far. Im kinda sad this season is almost over.

TheYanger

This fucking show man. Season 1 sucked me in with the on fucking point humor, and while it remained funny and season 2 is still funny, it's just SO MUCH MORE than that. Shit stays fucking winning. This is the most real depiction of a regular ass dude's life, despite being about a fucking actor with a successful career and all that.

I dunno, it's just so emotionally spot on.

Socreges

Banned
Love this show. Its sincerity is its greatest strength

Some of the stilted acting has been hard to watch, though. I'm assuming some of these people are friends or family that don't actually act because it's quite poor and isn't adding to the experience

(I still like his dad's 'character' - it works well)

Sami+

Ep. 4 (First Dates)

Damn white weed pen girl, fuck. You gotta choke at the last second? Second best after the really cool Indian techy girl, goes and turns out to be diet racist smdh.

Great episode, I love it so far!

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Incredible stuff. Thanksgiving and Amarsi Un Po were my favorites. Also, can't believe some of you people hating on Big Bud. He's fantastic.

Zero315

Banned
Just finished episode 5: Dinner Party

Omg that ending was a fucking punch to the heart. Then the text message came... Aziz was fucking great in that scene.

Dereck

I think a show like this could benefit from airing on an one episode per weekly basis.

One could call this season short, because it kind of is, it's a 10 episode season with every episode averaging in about 25-30 minutes without commercials. When you drop another season two years later, only for most people to watch the entire season in a span of about 4-5 hours, what one is essentially saying is that we waited two years to suck down an entire season in one day.

What I notice though, is that because of this many people may feel like the wait between seasons is unnecessarily long, or that the show wasn't long enough, or whatever.

I can't help but ponder on whether or not the show being released on a weekly basis would allow people to digest the show more thoroughly, episode by episode, instead of watching the entire thing in one day, generally liking it, and then moving onto something else while wishing that the show didn't take so long inbetween seasons. Some of us didn't watch the whole season in one day, I know, just speaking from a Netflixer's perspective.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
He was such a dick,

Yeah I wasn't feeling Dev's plight over Francesca either.
The ending to me felt a bit like The Graduate too, ambiguous as to whether its happy or not. Just as quickly as Dev and Franchesca fell into love, I feel they may quickly fall out of it. He also resorted to pity in that last heated conversation with her.

Skyzard

Banned
This is an amazing season that really resonated with me.

Just up to episode 9, wherre sunflower river blues plays...

Incredibly brilliant. All of it.

Auctopus

Just finished. Loved it.

I'm glad they ended the love storyline on a more realistic note (even though it had echoes of the previous season finale). Throughout the series, Dev always comes across the sort of perfect, progressive middle-man in each situation whom both parties like. The ending managed to show his shortcomings through a little selfishness and arrogance. By the way, I'm assuming that she chose to go back to Italy.

I thought the increased variety through the season really played to the show's benefit. It meant they didn't have to binge on characters and managed to deepen the bonds of some, like the Thanksgiving episode.

Always big love for Arne.

Note: the only episode I didn't enjoy that much was "First Dates" but that's only because it's literally Ansari's book "Modern Romance" in TV form. He just took all the anecdotes from that book and made them in to dates.

Tall4Life

After watching up to episode 9 today and having lived in NY i kept wondering. I had it pretty good there, but i never had a carefree kind of lifestyle that he seemed to have. Specially when as an actor it tends to be more competitive and hard. I thought to myself i never experienced NY like its represented in the show, with a seemingly big apartment, parties, and travelling abroad.

The show does a good job at making me miss upstate tho. Those reds and oranges are just simply gorgeous.

Also, Arnold is hilarious. I love Arnold.

This show makes me want to learn Italian better.

All in all, even with the nitpick i just wrote i love this show. Its well directed. Well written. Loved the Thanksgiving episode the best so far. Im kinda sad this season is almost over.
That is true, but it's sort of explained in that Dev is actually a pretty successful actor, at least successful enough to support his lifestyle. He gets all the money from the GoGurt commercials, he was the host of a show on FoodTV... Maybe Aziz felt that while he could've touched more on the struggles of being a starving actor, it wouldn't have really fit with the theme of the show which is more about his relationships with other people.

Cake Boss

Banned
Loved this season more than the 1st, it made me go back and watch the 1st season again. One of my favorite shows now.

God damn it this show makes me want to pack up and live a carefree lifestyle in Italy making random pasta with an old lady. This isn't how life works :(

phanphare

Banned
theory about the ending

they don't end up together. that last scene was francesca lying in bed at night awake reminiscing about the time they shared together. the night where they slept together was probably the most intimate moment they shared together. so in reality pino is asleep and francesca is awake feeling lonely, wondering what could have been and imaging herself in bed next to dev just like the night where they were snowed in. I also believe dev is awake in bed thinking about the exact same thing. when francesca turns her head to look at dev and they are looking at each other I think it signifies that their connection is strong enough that they can both feel each other's presence during that shared moment.

I came to this conclusion listening to un anno d'amore and looking up the english lyrics. here's a translation from the youtube comments that may or may not be totally accurate but also francesca does translate on the show while they're dancing so there's that too.

and at night
to don't feel lonely
you'll recall all your blissful days
you'll dream of all my kisses
and you'll suddenly understand
the meaning of a year of love
the meaning of a year of love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r21yAe13jlM

Cake Boss

Banned
She's with Dev now, I went back and watched that ending scene, I saw that she isn't wearing the engagement ring anymore while sleeping with Dev.

brau

That is true, but it's sort of explained in that Dev is actually a pretty successful actor, at least successful enough to support his lifestyle. He gets all the money from the GoGurt commercials, he was the host of a show on FoodTV... Maybe Aziz felt that while he could've touched more on the struggles of being a starving actor, it wouldn't have really fit with the theme of the show which is more about his relationships with other people.

I totally understand that. In order to make the show about what it is it omits on it. I think it works. But it did left me wondering about it. I think the show is better telling these stories than how its hard to be an actor in NY.

phanphare

Banned
She's with Dev now, I went back and watched that ending scene, I saw that she isn't wearing the engagement ring anymore while sleeping with Dev.

another reason why I think it's her laying in bed awake at night imaging herself sleeping next to dev. she's not necessarily reliving the snowed in night she shared with dev, she's imaging what it would be like if they could have stayed together

another reason why I think it's her laying in bed awake at night imaging herself sleeping next to dev. she's not necessarily reliving the snowed in night she shared with dev, she's imaging what it would be like if they could have stayed together

That would be a tremendous cope out. The whole point of that ending is to make you wonder how they got there.

As a newly single person, that
Tinder episode
hit me in the feels. That's legit my life at the moment.

phanphare

Banned
That would be a tremendous cope out. The whole point of that ending is to make you wonder how they got there.

As a newly single person, that
Tinder episode
hit me in the feels. That's legit my life at the moment.

yeah that Tinder episode was great. I am so damn bad with first date small talk. I've had more than a few dates like dev's second date with priya where every conversation was a struggle. ugh.

also the ending was purposefully ambiguous so I don't really think any interpretation could be considered a cop out

Mastronardi *heart eyes emoji*

she may have the best smile I've ever seen

she's also a great actor. she's probably 80% of the reason that whole story was so emotional. there were two bits with her in particular where I felt she really shined.
the first is when she's walking through the drug store being wowed by everything. the second is her and dev's last conversation and there's a moment where she's sitting on the couch and then she gets up, walks back, and turns around to talk. that whole sequence was really great. the progression of her thoughts and her movements leading into her standing and walking leading into her being able to turn and address dev. obviously she's great for the whole show but those two moments really stuck out for me.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I love how he just forgot about the
black chick
and goes after another
man's fiancee
. Dev's an asshole.

I don't see it like that. Especially when being single he knew her number was gone and that was it. Dev is just looking for love and to settle. It was dickish to go after Francesca but he felt something was there so we went after her.

Cake Boss

Banned
I don't see it like that. Especially when being single he knew her number was gone and that was it. Dev is just looking for love and to settle. It was dickish to go after Francesca but he felt something was there so we went after her.

Also when he was in Italy and during his friends ex wedding, his friend went up to him and said he met this really cool chick from New York,
and mentioned he should come and dance, also didn't this chick mention some type of party that she invited him too. I thought maybe he was go na find her there at that wedding.

Totakeke

It's not really about the starving actor angle, it's about him putting zero effort into his work while being successful at it and has no worries at all about maintaining his lifestyle other than spending a few minutes talking to his boss/manager and landing his next big gig. For a Master of None, he has a better life than most successful people. It's not what the show is about, sure, but it really breaks the illusion of selling him like an average guy in NYC. None of his friends ever seem to worry about work either, and his crush has a relationship issue revolving around her partner working too much and she isn't at all.

Miletius

It's not really about the starving actor angle, it's about him putting zero effort into his work while being successful at it and has no worries at all about maintaining his lifestyle other than spending a few minutes talking to his boss/manager and landing his next big gig. For a Master of None, he has a better life than most successful people. It's not what the show is about, sure, but it really breaks the illusion of selling him like an average guy in NYC. None of his friends ever seem to worry about work either, and his crush has a relationship issue revolving around her partner working too much and she isn't at all.

Agreed. The show is pretty good, but Dev is basically Aziz in this show, just replace actor with comedian and you've basically got what the show is about.

I'm definitely not saying that every show has to be about a starving actor/barista/whatever, but that's one thing that does break the immersion a bit. The fact that Dev never has to worry about anything career-wise makes it a somewhat self indulgent serial.

That being said, there are some great episodes, like the Thanksgiving one, but they come towards the latter half of the season.

Top Bottom