• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

nilbog21

Banned
I thought the performance from Kevin yu was fine.. I usually have a tough time with bad Performances, but he didn't strike me as remarkably bad. Same with his parents, not sure what everyone is complaining about.. They have like 4 lines?

The black chick on the other hand.. Just Horrible

Also, "carhuman".. I almost died laughing and I'm not sure why

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The black chick was hilarious. Her intentional dry way of speaking about serious events had me dying.

alternade

Just got through a few episodes of this. Incredibly unfunny. I never saw the appeal of Aziz's schtick even on parks and rec.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Just got through a few episodes of this. Incredibly unfunny. I never saw the appeal of Aziz's schtick even on parks and rec.
well even if you didnt like parks and rec his schtick isnt on display here, its pretty heartfelt a lot of it.?

dejay

Banned
I watched the whole series then as I was re watching The IT Crowd to help me sleep I realised that I laughed more in just one episode of that.

The show was cute in places but the cast can't carry what material there is.

dejay

Banned
Wait

People watched this for the comedy?

When it's marketed as a comedy and has reviews like "outrageously funny" and "very (very) funny" then yeah, I'm expecting a few laughs.

The observations are relevant with the social themes that were explored, but we're hit over the head with them and they don't really lead to anything funny story wise.

I feel if Aziz could actually act and commit to an emotional scene I'd take it more seriously as a drama. I wasn't invested in the Dev-Rachel couple because they never seemed that close, mainly because it was all very light and breezy. There was some definite potential, especially in the last two episodes, but it's let down by too many quips, goofy faces and lack of gravitas.

As it is, to me, it's too light for a drama and not funny enough to be a comedy.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
loved this show, watched Parents with my folks this weekend - hit extremely close to home

anyone got a gif of Aziz's reaction to taking a shot of tequila? i think it was with the married woman... shit had me dying

Bradach

It started off pretty funny then gradually turned into a drama. The last few episodes were boring and sad.

Arnold had some great lines.

I'd rate it 2 out of 5. I won't be coming back for season 2.

Davey Cakes

Wait

People watched this for the comedy?
More for the light heartedness, though it does get real at points.

I mean, with Master of None you're basically getting another show like Louie...to an extent.

It starts as a comedy and ends as a drama. Though it's never laugh-out-loud funny to begin with.

Arkeband

Banned
Manic pixie dream girls, man.

Eric Wareheim kept this watchable.
"Did you survive, pop-pop!?" had me falling over laughing.

CoolOff

I don't get the posts about Dev being infallible in the show. I feel like he is the one (ep. 9)
who is being the major jackass in the relationship.

mm04

I had never really watched Aziz really, prior to this. I tried to watch his stand-up to see what he was all about, but couldn't get into it. That being said, I really enjoyed this show. In a way, it reminded me of Louie in some respects. The last 2 episodes were really good. If you've ever been in that situation, it really hits home. Are you sure you've met the "one" and how things can just seem monotonous after awhile in a relationship. I was fine with the ending, too. I do hope there's another season, but if there isn't, I felt like it stood on its own just fine.

Manic pixie dream girls, man.

Eric Wareheim kept this watchable.
"Did you survive, pop-pop!?" had me falling over laughing.

Lol, i think she was a normal character with a good sense of humor. Wouldn't paint her as that tired ass trope.

But yeah, Warheim in this show was classic. His brand of humor is so unique, not many people could pull it off.

Davey Cakes

I watched the last episode this past weekend. Almost seemed like an abrupt ending considering what happened before.

Overall the season was a worthwhile watch. I'm not as critical of the bad acting and the lack of laugh-out-loud-funny humor as other people. Seems like an easy recommendation if you're a fan of Ansari.

Mikeside

Yeah, the last episode was really unsatisfying, especially so soon after a whole episode about their relationship breaking down & being built back up.

I look forward to season 2 after REALLY enjoying almost all of the first, but I'd love them to pretend the last episode didn't happen & go from there.

cabot

I smiled and chuckled mostly along to this show but it did have occasional hilarity.

I think it peaked at the 'SO YOU FUCKED MY WIFE?!' line.

The emotional stuff was mostly pretty good. I too feel the ending was sort of abrupt after the previous episode showing them to be in a good place.

I dunno maybe I just hold some sort of contempt for those people that would like to fuck off to japan and if they don't do it suddenly their life is meaningless.

GobFather

The first episodes was the "funniest".. tried to watch more but after 5 episodes, it wasn't entertaining at all. I had high hopes but, its not a good TV series.

The first episodes was the "funniest".. tried to watch more but after 5 episodes, it wasn't entertaining at all. I had high hopes but, its not a good TV series.
I felt the opposite, first episode itself was entertaining and funny but I wasn't crazy about it. By episode 5 it was hilarious.

Just finished it and I loved it. Acting was shotty in the beginning but it either got better or I just stopped caring. Loved the characters and loved how they avoided most tropes you'd normally find in a show like this. I also loved how it wasn't just a pure comedy and actually had a lot to say about certain subjects, subjects which I am surprised they actually tackled. I do wish his friends were in it more tho. Music and cinematography were fantastic, and Dev and Rachel have amazing chemistry. Really hoping there's a second season. It's been a while since a show has been able to resonant with me this much.

Makoto

Just finished it. The attempts at trying to make Dev and Rachel charming via the sarcastic banter were insufferable at best but whenever they did delve into the serious sides of their relationships, it was really interesting. This show's a bit weird, it's got the stink of a comedian's pet dramatic project where the comic is trying not to let their mainstream image override the more thoughtful stories they're trying to tell. I agree on the stilted acting. Even Ansari seemed like he was desperately holding back on the execution of some funny moments, perhaps out of fear of treading into Tom Haverford territory. For the most part, I think Ansari succeeded and I can understand why it's gotten the reception it's received.

Just started watching this show, really enjoying it.
The supporting cast of characters that play the friends are really enjoyable.

show has some cool music

Currently on the episode Hot Ticket, it's making want to watch Sherlock lol

Ragnaros

Banned
People are really saying that this show isn't laugh out loud funny?

5 minutes in we have a guy taking a one night stand to get Plan B in an Uber, saying its his treat while purchasing, and then grabbing a Martinelli's to supplement the purchase.

Its moments like this that make the show hysterical.

5 minutes in we have a guy taking a one night stand to get Plan B in an Uber, saying its his treat while purchasing, and then grabbing a Martinelli's to supplement the purchase.

I've watched 3 episodes straight, I've had a good amount of laugh out loud moments.

finalflame

Gold Member

Different people have different brands of humor. While I personally also found that scene pretty funny, many may not. I personally don't move a single face muscle for anything in any of the Monty Python films, but know people that can't stop laughing the entire time.

jtb

Banned
[flame emoji]

@AkilahObviously
Mindy Kaling predicted "Master of None"

CWctfwhXIAAHBvM.jpg

https://twitter.com/AkilahObviously/status/677560296433704960

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I watched it. It was nice.

Like some people mentioned, the acting's iffy at points but I didn't care after a while. Arnold and Brian are kinda annoying though.

Anyway, it was funny at points and I thought that most of the characters are good approximations of people you might really meet.
Not the best thing ever but I'd definitely watch the next season, which I assume starts with a timeskip and him back home, just like every other show that pulls this thing.

johnsmith

remember me
Just started watching this. Oh my god. The 2nd episode. Incredible. I have never in my life had such a personal connection to a television show. It was literally my life on screen. Every single scene in that episode was something I've lived through. I've always been a fan of Aziz, but this takes it to another level.

Yeah not getting the high praise this is receiving. Guess I am missing something. His parents were terrible, mistakes were made. Guess it's too hipster for me.

xrnzaaas

I just watched the first part of the season (5 eps) and it was awesome. The show basically succeeds where How to Make It in America has failed.

PS. Colin the Carman is hilarious. :D

huxley00

I watched it once and loved it. Watching it a second time, it doesn't quite hold up. It's a bit vapid and a little too 'on the nose'. Still enjoyed it though and will return for a second season.

xrnzaaas

The remaining five episodes were very good as well. I like that each episode is kind of a separate thing. It's not a show that follows one theme from A to Z, but throws around different stuff.

It was ok, not the the comedy version of the wheel the reviewers try to make it. I also think it went downhill with every episode. I wish it was darker.

border

I thought it was really weird that in Episode 1, Dev is fooled by the false facade of a happy couple and worries that he may be missing out on marriage/children, but is worried about sacrificing his life over to predictable routine.

Episode 10 - Dev is fooled by the false facade of a happy couple yet again, and worries that he may be missing out on marriage/children, but is worried about sacrificing his life over to predictable routine..

Doesn't seem like he's learned much of anything, especially given that wedding vows are some of the most polished, trumped up performances we ever give in our lives.

Top Bottom