• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
i think louie does the 'issues' stuff far better and with more nuance. with aziz the guy always gets ahead of the situation immediately, man is literally infallible in this whole show. and so it just ends up feeling like an afterschool special lecture type of series.

like in the elders episode he's the one who takes the girl's grandma out to dinner. in the immigrant parents episode he's the one who suggests they spend some time with their parents, the feminist one has him championing for equal opportunities etc. etc.

fun show but man dude gassed himself up a lot in this season. it's a great concept but i hope he changes this up if there's another season.

but that's not the point or goal. The message is almost always that "it's easier to talk the talk than walk the walk".

For example, in the feminism one, he loses his job and never really agrees with his GF, but realizes he's a dick for missing the broader point.
In the Indians on TV one hehe revealed he cared more about his pride than representation.
With the parents one, he ate his words pretty quickly and backpedaled after one dinner.

Just because the show is positive in tone doesn't mean it's an after school special. You can find after school specials on youtube if you wanna see the difference.

As far as comparing it to Louie is concerned - I don't really see the point or value. I don't feel like their goals are similar at all. Louie isn't the story of a socially well adjusted guy trying to be good to people around him.
You gotta judge art on it's own merits at some point.

hmm, i see your point. that makes more sense. can't believe my mind shut out the end-points of those episodes, now that you mention it there was a lot of backpedaling in the parents and indians in hollywood episode lmao.

Sami+

Some white people talk about their sexual experiences and partners with their parents, bruh. It's another world. My ex's dad even provides her with birth control, since he's a doctor. Shit is crazy.

Whaaaaaat

Damn that's crazy to me LOL

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
hmm, i see your point. that makes more sense. can't believe my mind shut out the end-points of those episodes, now that you mention it there was a lot of backpedaling in the parents and indians in hollywood episode lmao.

Don't get me wrong. The show definitely has a POV and can be a bit pat, just saying it's not super cut and dry.

JTripper

Just finished the season and loved it. Everyone is talking about the Parents episode but really the highlight for me was the last 5 episodes or so. The ones starring Dev and Rachel primarily were great and I found them to be funnier too.

Nashville, Mornings, and the finale were my favorites. The finale also hit harder than I expected it to.

cocopuffs

Banned
oh my god just watched the fifth episode (where he sleeps with the married women) and that was the funniest shit I've watched in a while.

i liked the show but that episode really was the funniest so far. so far aziz ansari struck gold.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked it! It came out of nowhere for me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
oh my god just watched the fifth episode (where he sleeps with the married women) and that was the funniest shit I've watched in a while.

i liked the show but that episode really was the funniest so far. so far aziz ansari struck gold.

yeah, definitely my favorite episode

Yeah, Aziz doesn't write Dev as anywhere near infallible. Dude is a super self-centered dipshit a lot of the time. Someone earlier called out the fact he speaks maybe 5 sincere sentences over the course of the entire show.

A lot of the comedy in the show factors that in, even if its not necessarily the point. But his shallowness is definitely pointed out, and more often than not it gets his ass in trouble.

Its just that his insincere, shallow ass ALSO happens to have some decent insights fall out of that ass every now and again.

Its a REALLY good show, but I think the only reason people are comparing it to Louie instead of Girls is because Aziz is a man. This show is way more indebted to Lena Dunham than anything else.

M3z_

I find the comedy in the show to be very muted. It's a show I watch and think "that was cute" or what have you but rarely find myself just flat out laughing. Also while I almost always agree with the political point of view or social point of view that the show clearly leans on, I can't help but feel like the message is super forced and hamfisted. I am constantly feeling like I am being proselytized to about values I already have. While I commend a show for trying to shed light on a variety of issues I think doing it in this way is just 100% a means to preach to the choir. If you really want to open up people's minds and get them to consider new ideas you can't just shove it down their throat, you have to try and frame it in a relatable way and inject so cleverness in how you do it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Show is mostly Gaf OT threads spun out into 20 minute television. Acting is stiff but there's some nice moments.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
10 is heavy stuff, it's pretty nuts how much stronger 9-10 are than all of the rest.

i think louie does the 'issues' stuff far better and with more nuance. with aziz the guy always gets ahead of the situation immediately, man is literally infallible in this whole show. and so it just ends up feeling like an afterschool special lecture type of series.

I agree. Nothing wrong with the subject matter. It's the writing. The good thing about this show is how the bad writing makes me feel really smart.

I really liked this show. I agree with a lot of the criticisms people have been posting but there's still something really fresh and enjoyable about every episode. Can't wait to see what direction they go in next time.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I totally identified with the whole "my parents don't know about you thing."

My wife's parents didn't know about me till I went over to tell them we were getting married...after dating for 8 years.

We white people are just so much more open about that kinda thing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Whaaaaaat

Damn that's crazy to me LOL

Yeah, I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever talk to my parents about any relationship stuff. They're already a shining enough example of what a relationship shouldn't be like. I have nothing of value to learn directly from them, let alone the awkward factor.

magnetic

Somebody with experience please make a gif from the mornings episodes where she mocks him by imitating how he rubs his eye during sex. Such a great moment of comic relief during a very tense episode.

And I like the metaphor during the last episode where he has to check dozens of review sites just to get a dumb taco and then ends up not getting any, and how it is a foreshadowing (is that the right term?) of things to come. I think we are a particularly indecisive generation, with massive analysis paralysis and always wanting to keep all our options open.

I'm also starting to wonder if I find Rachel really that adorable or if she almost intentionally fills this role of "quirky indie girl" - leather jackets, managing indie bands, upbeat sense of humor, relatable and attractive in a non-intimidating way.

She feels almost too perfect for the late-20s, early-30s urban alternative crowd, if that makes sense, which is why the last 2 episode made such an impact on me.

I also absolutely love the voice of Jon Benjamin. Time to watch Bob's Burgers.

This is letterboxed. I'm out.

I don't mind watching letterboxed (I usually forget about it after a couple of minutes) but can someone tell me why they went with a letterboxed format? It's a TV show made for TV, so why not film it in a format that fits the screen?

I did see a tweet where Aziz boasted about the show being filmed in anamorphic, but what is the advantage of that?

Dereck

I'm also starting to wonder if I find Rachel really that adorable or if she almost intentionally fills this role of "quirky indie girl" - leather jackets, managing indie bands, upbeat sense of humor, relatable and attractive in a non-intimidating way.
Diet Zooey Deschanel

Just watched the first episode. Loved it. I'm a big fan of this style of comedy. And the kids were great/hilarious.

Edit: And Eric! I had no idea he was in this.

golem

I don't mind watching letterboxed (I usually forget about it after a couple of minutes) but can someone tell me why they went with a letterboxed format? It's a TV show made for TV, so why not film it in a format that fits the screen?

I did see a tweet where Aziz boasted about the show being filmed in anamorphic, but what is the advantage of that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...z_ansari_and_alan_yang_from_master_of/cwyadj1

Alan Yang said:
From the beginning, we wanted it to feel less like most of the single camera comedies that are out there and more like a loose, personal, realistic comedy from the 70's. A big part of that was the look of the show. We'd definitely like to thank our DP Mark Schwartzbard, who is supremely talented and maybe even a better guy than he is a DP if that's possible, along with James Ponsoldt, who directed episodes one and three, is an unbelievable director, and maybe even a better guy than Schwartzbard if that's possible.

We pushed really hard for the anamorphic aspect ratio. We did a camera test where it was Aziz's stand-in Danny looking through some papers. With the regular aspect ratio, it looked pretty boring. But then with the anamorphic ratio, we were like, "What's Danny looking at? That shit looks interesting as hell!"

foxtrot3d

Banned
Started it and finished the show today, AMAZING. I think episode 2 was my favorite as a first-generation American but the show was great all around. It's so great it almost doesn't need a second season but I will watch the hell out of one if it happens.

Exactly, I don't really get the comparisons to Louie to me they are totally different shows. I love the "Parents" episode so much because at the end his father, after all the thought and effort Dez puts into his guitar lessons gift, decides to cancel all the classes and play games on his iPad. That was just so realistic to me so on many different levels that I loved it.

Spinluck

How can you say that Aziz is infallible on the show?

It's clear his character is a dick at the end of the first episode. Even when he attempts to mean well, he comes off as a dick in a lot of situations.

Nether!

Watched this last week, loved the show.
I can understand why people might not care for it, but it felt very genuine to me - I felt like a lot of love was put into making this show.
I look forward to more if it's to come.

valeo

I like Aziz. I love shows like You're the Worst. However, I didn't really like Louie despite liking Louis C.K general...and I don't really like this show so far. I've watched two episodes. Does it get better?

It's almost too laidback. Like they just randomly got their cameras out and decided to start filming something without any planning whatsoever. The acting feels very stilted. Like there is a weird pause between each conversation.

I'm really surprised that I don't like it at all. I laughed maybe once.

Ogni-XR21

Finished it yesterday, really liked it.

I did not pay 100% attention, but was Ladies and Gentlemen the only one not written by Ansari and Yang? That one had a few jokes that were a bit too 'on the nose' for me. Other than that I found all the episodes great.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I like Aziz. I love shows like You're the Worst. However, I didn't really like Louie despite liking Louis C.K general...and I don't really like this show so far. I've watched two episodes. Does it get better?

It's almost too laidback. Like they just randomly got their cameras out and decided to start filming something without any planning whatsoever. The acting feels very stilted. Like there is a weird pause between each conversation.

I'm really surprised that I don't like it at all. I laughed maybe once.

I love the show, and it gets batter after episode 2 in my opinion, but the acting and pacing issues remain for me thrrough the show. I found them easy to forgive.

The laidback and natural vibe... I dunno. That's just the tone of the show. It's difficult for me to understand how that's a weakness rather than the show's voice , but it never turns into Arrested development or anything, no.

Dice//

Banned
Great show.

Insightful, funny, poignant, goofy, etc. I'd love to see a second season. It definitely caters to the twenty-something crowd, so I can't say it's a fast/easy recommendation for all; it's pretty close to Azis' stand up as well... but for the most part, I do like the observational humour -- it's pretty spot on (or a great exaggeration when it needs to be)

Silly minor point: I also loved the generally diverse cast, growing up in the GTA of Canada I actually feel a bit weirder when shows/films have an all-white cast... :p
Denise and Anush go for my favourite non-mains. Denise especially being an "ok" actress but getting a ton of great one-liners.

Papadums!!!

I'm still watching this... At episode 7. Laughed twice. I'm just so fascinated with why people think this is good, so I can't stop. But I figured it out. It's PolitcallyCorrect the comedy. It's like a comedy if it was designed to be nonoffensive or shocking and removes all subtlety so it's all inclusive. Which is fine, but it's just a boring drama at that point with poor writing and bad acting. I'm still going to finish it though! (Episode 5 wasnt so bad)

Also. I love Eric Wareheim. He is fucking terrible in this. He's not meant for these roles and the "random" comedy he does is an insult to his craft.

Edit: omg there is a literal feminist episode now. I can see why people like this... :|

Yeaa. I'm at this and really want a live feed of people watching this episode that enjoy it... It's completely pointless, not charming and not relatable at all. First date, flying to another state? Staying in a upscale hotel? He's real struggling. So humorous.

Wareheim is completely out of place in this agreed, though it may surprise you to know he directed four episodes of this, so I'm guessing he doesn't think its beneath him. Doesn't seem like a "get paid" kinda guy either, but it is weird just the same seeing him so involved with something like this.

I had to take a week break from the show cause it was mostly boring me, but I guess I appreciate the light hearted warmth to the humor coming back to it now, doesn't need to be as edgy as something like Louie. Its fine for what it is, a nice wind down to the evening kinda show.

How dare he date that half Hispanic half Tunisian girl

that relationship is too real for tv even with it's Louie level of him trying to ruin it a bit

I liked it, well most of it. Acting was really stiff from time to time. Kelvin Yu especially was bad. Or maybe I just didn't like him, but his performance felt really akward. H. Jon Benjamin was for me the higlight of the show, such sympathetic character. Colin Salmon was also freaking funny, it was very over the top but still, funny.

There were a lot of moments I found really touching. At the end when you find out he's
actually going to Italy rather than chasing after Rachel in Japan
I teared up instantly. It set me up so well to expect his character to develop in one way, only to completely 180 on the entire purpose behind the trip. For whatever reason that hit me pretty hard.

Also, the funniest line of the entire series for me has to be:

"You cut in front of me at the ice cream shop."

"So you fucked my wife?!"

It's funny even without context, but within the episode it was an absolutely perfect joke.

master15

Only watched two episodes and while I like some of the premises, I admit I've never been a big Aziz fan (thinking of the last few stand-up specials I've seen of his). Does the show's quality dramatically improve?

Lots of terrible acting with none of the laughter and pathos I've come to expect out of god-tier comedy like CYE, Larry Sanders Show and Peep Show.

Need to know if I should keep plugging forward...

Only watched two episodes and while I like some of the premises, I admit I've never been a big Aziz fan (thinking of the last few stand-up specials I've seen of his). Does the show's quality dramatically improve?

Lots of terrible acting with none of the laughter and pathos I've come to expect out of god-tier comedy like CYE, Larry Sanders Show and Peep Show.

Need to know if I should keep plugging forward...

Id watch another 2. It definitely gets better and episode 4 was my favourite.

Squalor

Finished the series last night.

It was amazing.

The first three to four episodes are quite good (funny, incisive), but then at some point in the back of the season, it just becomes great.

I'm at episode 4 and I still can't decide if I like it or nothing. The acting is bad but in the most endearing of ways that I cannot take strikes against it.

I think my biggest issue with the show is I have no idea where it is going so far.

Top Bottom