• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

Firestorm

;___;

that jacket in the last episode

CR8rRteUYAAXG1R.png

B_0yxDmVAAA7zZ4.jpg

magnetic

Watched to ep 6 with my GF and we both really love it.

Aziz feels so much more like himself and not just a character he plays. He has a great sense of humor and I love how varied each episode is. The nashville episode was so incredibly charming I almost fell in love with Noel Wells by proxy - it felt so real and natural. Just a down-to-earth little episode with no huge twists or dramatic moments, and all the more heartwarming.

Then you have some social criticism thrown into it (racism, flaky personal relationships etc) that thankfully don´t feel too on the nose. It´s a great mix between observations, humor and heart.

I also liked every single character right from the start. Eric Wareheim feels a bit odd, but I think I like it that, that´s just the way I remember him from Tim & Eric.

Also: It really makes me want to visit New York - I grew up with the Hollywood Times Square stereotype of NY in my head that didn´t really intrigue, but the locations they show are very atmospheric so far. (But I assume that´s true for every single well-known place on earth - even Venice was very different from the stereotype).

I found his standup pretty unimpressive and even a bit try hard, but Master Of None is a big surprise hit to me. I... don´t want it to be over again so soon.

Alright I'm at episode 6 and it is getting better. It's getting less stiff... This seems like a show that could hit its stride in later seasons. Eric is a much better director than serious actor.

woodchuck

For everyone saying they hate his standup but enjoy the show, have you guys seen his latest standup special? His standup has completely changed compared to his earlier material. His latest standup deals with some of the themes mentioned in the show as well as his book such as dating in the modern world.

Firestorm

For everyone saying they hate his standup but enjoy the show, have you guys seen his latest standup special? His standup has completely changed compared to his earlier material. His latest standup deals with some of the themes mentioned in the show as well as his book such as dating in the modern world.
I wasn't a fan of his first routine I saw. I saw the one at MSG and liked it a lot more. Though I saw it a few days before Master of None so I felt like a lot of it was recycled.

Quick

Banned
Thanks to Master of None, I'm finally getting into Father John Misty.

I wasn't completely sold on the band until watching Hot Ticket.

It started a bit meh.. Episode 3 is when it got better... But episodes 5/6 have definitely sold me on this show. I agree with whoever compared this to a Richard Linklater film rather than Louie.

Alright I'm at episode 6 and it is getting better. It's getting less stiff... This seems like a show that could hit its stride in later seasons. Eric is a much better director than serious actor.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by episodes 1 and 2--thought they were really uneven, especially in humor and performances. I agree, Eric is one of the characters I'm hot-cold on, and I was really cold on him in those episodes.

It improves with episode 3 and maintains pretty steady. Not my new favorite show, but a lot to admire. I'd watch S2.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to Master of None, I'm finally getting into Father John Misty.

I wasn't completely sold on the band until watching Hot Ticket.

Oh, you're one of those people.

Just kidding Quick <3

I actually went back to him after the episode too but I still can't get into it

TMC

Started this last night and finished 5 episodes. Absolutely loving it. Really hope they do a second season. It was really cool that he got his dad for episode 2 as well.

I WANT CHEESY POOFS!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I really loved the presentation of every episode. The title card and opening credits plus the music, really well done every single episode

Yeah that was really great, credits went on a little long sometimes but the music was usually good enough that I didn't care.

Awesome show, finished it last night. Always good to see Eric Wareheim starring and directing he is great at both sides of the screen.

Futureman

I think I'm either 3 or 4 episodes in and I'm really loving this. Netflix absolutely slayed it with original programming this year and we still have the new Mr. Show premiering next week!

Eric's line in the one episode about a turtle coming out of a briefcase had my GF and I rolling.

kaskade

Finished the season. My girlfriend and I both loved it. We are a little younger than the shows leads but damn is it relatable. I loved that H. Jon Benjamin would show up and be almost a voice of reason a bit. Like hey, everyone has these thoughts. Can't wait to see more of it.

Futureman

I wonder what this was shot on? It almost has a film look at times to me, but I'm guessing that's just digital getting better through the years.

Meier

I get why people want to compare it to Louie, but they're really nothing alike, aside from the fact that they're created by and starring a comedian.

I don't really agree. My wife actually made the comparison independent of anyone else suggesting it and I was like yeah, I can see that. The fact it stars comedians doesn't really play into the similarity at all -- there's a very similar vibe and feel to the show.

I thought it was a little uneven to be honest, but very good just the same. Loved the Martinelli's line in the first episode.. felt like as it progressed though, it was a little bit less "Aziz" and more traditional. Obviously the episode with the parents was by far the highlight and that happened fairly early so it makes sense there was a little bit of a comedown after it (next best part was him and Eric Wareheim walking home from the bar with Don't Worry Be Happy while the girl has some slasher music going). A lot of bits were straight out of his standup which isn't that surprising, but took away some of their punch for me.

diaspora

When Dev talks about how he and his parents never talk about his love life and watching Rachel lose her shit was like re-living last year, damn.

edit: do white people talk to their parents about their boyfriend/girlfriend? Is that seriously a thing?

giga

When Dev talks about how he and his parents never talk about his love life and watching Rachel lose her shit was like re-living last year, damn.

edit: do white people talk to their parents about their boyfriend/girlfriend? Is that seriously a thing?

Some white people talk about their sexual experiences and partners with their parents, bruh. It's another world. My ex's dad even provides her with birth control, since he's a doctor. Shit is crazy.

I think I'm either 3 or 4 episodes in and I'm really loving this. Netflix absolutely slayed it with original programming this year and we still have the new Mr. Show premiering next week!

Eric's line in the one episode about a turtle coming out of a briefcase had my GF and I rolling.

eric is the fucking best

That Rachel girl and her legs, damn! Finished the season earlier today and I thought it was fantastic. Wasn't a fan of Aziz in Rec and Park but he was damn good in this, I'm glad I ended up giving it a try.

finalflame

Just finished the season last night and really hope they make a second. Man, the relationship themes they touched on in episodes 9 and 10 were absolutely spot-on. Love this show.

I'm three episodes in and so far I LOVE this show. Hilarious. The kids and immigrant parents episodes hit home for me.

Also I've never watched a show with so many references to things I grew up with. New Edition, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Emilio Estavez. It's usually a bunch of crap I've never heard of.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really agree. My wife actually made the comparison independent of anyone else suggesting it and I was like yeah, I can see that. The fact it stars comedians doesn't really play into the similarity at all -- there's a very similar vibe and feel to the show.

I thought it was a little uneven to be honest, but very good just the same. Loved the Martinelli's line in the first episode.. felt like as it progressed though, it was a little bit less "Aziz" and more traditional. Obviously the episode with the parents was by far the highlight and that happened fairly early so it makes sense there was a little bit of a comedown after it (next best part was him and Eric Wareheim walking home from the bar with Don't Worry Be Happy while the girl has some slasher music going). A lot of bits were straight out of his standup which isn't that surprising, but took away some of their punch for me.

I just don't see it. Outside of a few minutes in the entire season, the show was really grounded, compared to Louie which is almost always surreal.

Real talk time, I never knew until now, but Cartman impressions are an immediate turn off.

See, to me he'll always be Coach McGuirk.

To me he'll always be Bruce Willis.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I've always had a huge crush on Claire Danes, so that episode where she appears was a highlight for me.

Top Bottom