• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

HiResDes

Acting is actrocious, and all of the Indians have it worse than black people shit has rubbed me the wrong fucking way. Fuck outta here with that

zeioIIDX

I can't get over Tickler's Drummies, Sarah Tickler, and Tickler's signature white BBQ sauce. I don't know why the fuck "Tickler's Drummies" is so damn funny to me but it is. Must be the way Aziz says it lmfao.

finalflame

Gold Member
Acting is actrocious, and all of the Indians have it worse than black people shit has rubbed me the wrong fucking way. Fuck outta here with that

pdZFiYm.gif

However, even though I did really enjoy the show, I also found that there was indeed terrible acting in certain scenes. Not sure if that was a specific style they were going for, or if the lack of experience on the part of some of the actors just came through.

HiResDes

Show is a comedy, calm down.

The episode where he tries to act high and mighty and has Claire Danes fawning all over him and he's unwilling to fuck her out of some apparent moral high ground that seemed devoid in all of his sexual encounters in the past also pissed me off.

giga

The episode where he tries to act high and mighty and has Claire Danes fawning all over him and he's unwilling to fuck her out of some apparent moral high ground that seemed devoid in all of his sexual encounters in the past also pissed me off.

Which previous sexual encounters?

jtb

Banned

Yeah, the show insulates Aziz's character from any kind of moral criticism way too much for my tastes. There's so much moral hedging, whether it's the Indians on TV or the Claire Danes ep. I wish he had attacked these questions more head-on because his insistence on this good guy persona ends up turning those scenarios into pretty bland comedy.

(And I get that a huge part of his comic persona is the whole "wow! a minority who's aggressively normal!"and I understand why he can think that's a valuable viewpoint to have when there's so little diversity on TV but he kinda ends up dodging the very questions he's asking)

HiResDes

Yeah, the show insulates Aziz's character from any kind of moral criticism way too much for my tastes. There's so much moral hedging, whether it's the Indians on TV or the Claire Danes ep. I wish he had attacked these questions more head-on because his insistence on this good guy persona ends up turning those scenarios into pretty bland comedy.

(And I get that a huge part of his comic persona is the whole "wow! a minority who's aggressively normal!"and I understand why he can think that's a valuable viewpoint to have when there's so little diversity on TV but he kinda ends up dodging the very questions he's asking)

This is what I was trying to get across, but couldn't have said it better even if I were sober.

jtb

Banned
wow, I hate this "straight guy's guide to feminism" episode. the first ep I haven't enjoyed in any capacity, other than shitting on the G train (which is awful)

particularly disappointing considering it's right after the super charming Nashville ep

Firestorm

Do you have an example of the questions he's dodging?

And yes, this is one of the very few shows about a second generation (South) Asian characters which is why many of us found it very relatable.

This post is hilarious knowing your history

wow, I hate this "straight guy's guide to feminism" episode. the first ep I haven't enjoyed in any capacity, other than shitting on the G train (which is awful)

particularly disappointing considering it's right after the super charming Nashville ep

freaking awful. thought the train arrest was funny but everything else was just basura. i really enjoyed this series but that episode was a damn mess.

from his girlfriend being offended at such a non-incident to aziz's tendency (in the entire series) to always have the moral high-ground in all issues being discussed in the show, it was most apparent in this one though. would have been nice to give him at least one flawed or unpopular opinion.

edit: uh des indians definitely have it far worse than black people in hollywood right now. but then again it's more a matter of time. years ago black people were treated exactly like this in entertainment.

Firestorm

freaking awful. thought the train arrest was funny but everything else was just basura. i really enjoyed this series but that episode was a damn mess.

from his girlfriend being offended at such a non-incident to aziz's tendency (in the entire series) to always have the moral high-ground in all issues being discussed in the show, it was most apparent in this one though. would have been nice to give him at least one flawed or unpopular opinion.

edit: uh des indians definitely have it far worse than black people in hollywood right now. but then again it's more a matter of time. years ago black people were treated exactly like this in entertainment.
What non-incident? She was right in that situation. The dude blew 'em off and only put his attention on the men in the room. Her boyfriend ridiculed her instead of listening to her when she said "This is a thing that happens to me repeatedly on a consistent basis." He didn't exactly have the moral high ground in that scene.

What did you dislike about it?

LakeEarth

The show had a rough start, but the intro to the second episode kept me watching (ding ding). I just love Aziz's dad. And now I'm in the mid-season and seeing the brilliant episodes I've heard people raving about. The married woman episode had me rolling so hard.

Soundtrack is on point.

Blader

What non-incident? She was right in that situation. The dude blew 'em off and only put his attention on the men in the room. Her boyfriend ridiculed her instead of listening to her when she said "This is a thing that happens to me repeatedly on a consistent basis." He didn't exactly have the moral high ground in that scene.

I think the "I wanna fuck your face" instagram comment actually gets the same point across way better than that scene.

jmood88

I think the "I wanna fuck your face" instagram comment actually gets the same point across way better than that scene.
No, it doesn't. The Instagram comment is an easy thing for Dev to look at and say, "wow, that's shitty" but the handshake thing shows how there are things that seem like non-issues but get extremely annoying when they constantly happen and, as he ended up saying, it was something that he hadn't even considered before he kept blowing her off for being upset about it.

Firestorm

I don't think they were anything close to the same point. The second started with a more subtle form of sexism that adds up over time and the point of it was more around Dev's insistence that Rachel was just overreacting instead of taking a few minutes to think about the fact that she and the Denise were both saying that it was a common thing they experienced all the time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

With respect to the "feminism" episode, the episode makes an interesting point about how it's easy to just vomit up opinions about women's bodies and representation in the media and so forth. Hell, the show is written by two men, starring a man, and many of its episodes is directed by a man, so there has to be some kind of self-awareness of the fact that they are perpetuating the very problem that they are bitching about.

That plays out in the show itself via the fact that Dev loses his job. That it's easy to pay lip service to equality, but the reality is that as bearers of male privilege, you are going to have to acknowledge that opportunities will be afforded to women at the cost to men - in this case, if the problem is that there are too many commercials featuring male actors, then if you start having more commercials with female actors, there are just going to be fewer opportunities for men. And he has to navigate whether or not he is supposed to feel bad about losing his job.

It's great that the only reward he gets is this shitty sheriff's star, because it's a symbol of his "activism". You have to realize that saying these things may lead to a better place, but there aren't any real tangible rewards for having these points of view. It's the right thing to do and that's it. There's no financial reward, no real acknowledgement of a sacrifice being made, just the satisfaction of knowing that you are on the right side of history.

That's why these episodes are interesting. It's not just that women are people too, or that old people are people too, or that Indians should be on TV more. It's much more nuanced than that.

Blader

No, it doesn't. The Instagram comment is an easy thing for Dev to look at and say, "wow, that's shitty" but the handshake thing shows how there are things that seem like non-issues but get extremely annoying when they constantly happen and, as he ended up saying, it was something that he hadn't even considered before he kept blowing her off for being upset about it.

But that's my point. Because the reason men might frame the handshake snub at a dinner as a non-incident or something unintentional is because so it's so under their radar that it would never occur to them as being a deliberate action (and clearly it doesn't to Dev, hence their argument). While strangers leaving face-fucking comments on a woman's instagram much more easily leaps out as a stark contrast in the way women are treated compared to men over totally innocuous things.

No it's not on the same level of nuance (insofar as it's not nuanced at all), but if the issue is men don't notice this kind of shit, then a more obvious example (e.g. "I wanna fuck your face" on instagram) helps shine that light on it first.

jmood88

But that's my point. Because the reason men might frame the handshake snub at a dinner as a non-incident or something unintentional is because so it's so under their radar that it would never occur to them as being a deliberate action (and clearly it doesn't to Dev, hence their argument). While strangers leaving face-fucking comments on a woman's instagram much more easily leaps out as a stark contrast in the way women are treated compared to men over totally innocuous things.

No it's not on the same level of nuance (insofar as it's not nuanced at all), but if the issue is men don't notice this kind of shit, then a more obvious example (e.g. "I wanna fuck your face" on instagram) helps shine that light on it first.
But again, the point wasn't just that women go through shit sometimes, it was that sexism manifests itself in ways that men can't always understand or see and to not be dismissive of a complaint because it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Greddleok

I gave this show a fair chance. 7 episodes, then I got sick of it. It's so ham-fisted. Just slap me in the face with the theme of the episode why don't you?

Bleh, started out entertaining, quickly started to feel like I was getting lectured at.

Maximus.

I really did not like the show for the first couple of episodes and took a few days off from watching it. Jumped back in and really like it now. Show hit its stride, acting seems to have gotten better by using better actors and better plots. Had me laughing a lot at certain parts.

Finally finished it this evening. The soundtrack was on point all the way through, and man did that last episode really make me think. Overall I really like it - I've liked Aziz's move from traditional observational comedy with bits of more heavy/thought provoking issues to now having the thought-provoking stuff at the forefront. He did it with his stand-up specials and this show seems like the obvious clue that it's the direction he wants to keep going. The shift has caused less laugh out loud humor, but it makes for a damn enjoyable show.

Does anyone know what kind of chair Azis has in his apartment? The sweet leather modern one. I want one but have no clue how to search for that style haha

I'm still watching this... At episode 7. Laughed twice. I'm just so fascinated with why people think this is good, so I can't stop. But I figured it out. It's PolitcallyCorrect the comedy. It's like a comedy if it was designed to be nonoffensive or shocking and removes all subtlety so it's all inclusive. Which is fine, but it's just a boring drama at that point with poor writing and bad acting. I'm still going to finish it though! (Episode 5 wasnt so bad)

Also. I love Eric Wareheim. He is fucking terrible in this. He's not meant for these roles and the "random" comedy he does is an insult to his craft.

Edit: omg there is a literal feminist episode now. I can see why people like this... :|
I have the opposite opinion to many here. Felt the show went downhill as it went on and it started with the Nashville episode.
Yeaa. I'm at this and really want a live feed of people watching this episode that enjoy it... It's completely pointless, not charming and not relatable at all. First date, flying to another state? Staying in a upscale hotel? He's real struggling. So humorous.

Epcott

Loved the show. The fig tree parable hit close to home, it sums up the problem with modern dating in a nutshell (as did that jab at the "free dinner" daters). Season felt like it went by so fast.

Yeaa. I'm at this and really want a live feed of people watching this episode that enjoy it... It's completely pointless, not charming and not relatable at all. First date, flying to another state? Staying in a upscale hotel? He's real struggling. So humorous.
They never even pretend that he's a struggling actor, where did you get that? He did plenty of commercials for brands like Wendy's, and did you see where he lives? He's not super rich but he's well off, this isn't your standard "struggling actor tries to survive" show. The rest of your post also proves that you don't really get why people like the show.

Singher

Neo Member

What did you hate about it? I had the EXACT same argument with me ex girlfriend that Rachel and Dev had. I think that a lot of men tend to see big obvious act of sexism but are completely unaware of the subtle acts, like some men not shaking a women's hand in a crowd of men. I think that it's great that the show brought these kinds of issues up.

I talked to my ex about this episode and she said that it's great that awareness of these issues is being shown to a big audience and that it really shouldn't matter if two straight guys wrote it.

Corpekata

Banned

Uh? His opinions in that episode are the flawed ones. The entire episode's arc is about him recognizing the faults he has.

Corpekata

Banned
Does anyone know what kind of chair Azis has in his apartment? The sweet leather modern one. I want one but have no clue how to search for that style haha

I don't remember where exactly but he answered a question about in that reddit AMA. Someone poked fun at the show for him having that chair as it is really expensive but he responded it's a knockoff.

They never even pretend that he's a struggling actor, where did you get that? He did plenty of commercials for brands like Wendy's, and did you see where he lives? He's not super rich but he's well off, this isn't your standard "struggling actor tries to survive" show. The rest of your post also proves that you don't really get why people like the show.
Eh I guess you're right, they never play him up like he's fully struggling. I guess the wealthy, succesful actor angle is just not that appealing.

But yea, episode 7... Yugh. So hamfisted, we get it. I was pretty accurate in describing it as, "pc the comedy". I can see why people like this now though.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I really like this show. It's human and sweet in a way that smart comedy rarely has the balls to be. There isn't a lot of cynical bite or evil/stupid people. It's mostly just people who resemble people you might know exploring love and life in a pretty honest way.

The Feminism thing is interesting, because it cuts all kind of ways subtly, but at the end of the day listening to eachother's experiences and trying to grow is the only clear positive.

But yea, episode 7... Yugh. So hamfisted, we get it. I was pretty accurate in describing it as, "pc the comedy". I can see why people like this now though.

KuGsj.gif

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
FYI, actors in national-level commercials probably aren't struggling financially.
They aren't rich, but they aren't starving... well... maybe not in NY or LA, but here in Dallas being in a national ad can give you some financial freedom over time. He'

Eh I guess you're right, they never play him up like he's fully struggling. I guess the wealthy, succesful actor angle is just not that appealing.

Yeah maybe this show just isn't grimdark and edgy enough for you.

i think louie does the 'issues' stuff far better and with more nuance. with aziz the guy always gets ahead of the situation immediately, man is literally infallible in this whole show. and so it just ends up feeling like an afterschool special lecture type of series.

like in the elders episode he's the one who takes the girl's grandma out to dinner. in the immigrant parents episode he's the one who suggests they spend some time with their parents, the feminist one has him championing for equal opportunities etc. etc.

fun show but man dude gassed himself up a lot in this season. it's a great concept but i hope he changes this up if there's another season.

Don't get mad at me if you are paying closer attention to the plot than the subtext homie.
Noo, I just thought it was super not subtle. It's kind of only pandering to those with those views, which isn't bad, just a bit cheap and loses it's impact (for me at least).
Yeah maybe this show just isn't grimdark and edgy enough for you.
Nah maybe you're right. I'll try not to crap up this thread with my negativity so much, I know that can be obnoxious.

There were still some great moments and pieces in the show and I will complete it!

Eames chair and ottoman. They cost $5000.
Fuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i think louie does the 'issues' stuff far better and with more nuance. with aziz the guy always gets ahead of the situation immediately, man is literally infallible in this whole show. and so it just ends up feeling like an afterschool special lecture type of series.

like in the elders episode he's the one who takes the girl's grandma out to dinner. in the immigrant parents episode he's the one who suggests they spend some time with their parents, the feminist one has him championing for equal opportunities etc. etc.

fun show but man dude gassed himself up a lot in this season. it's a great concept but i hope he changes this up if there's another season.
Yesss! Thank you for putting it in a better way than I can. His character is pretty close to devoid of any flaws.

Top Bottom