• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

Squalor

I'm at episode 4 and I still can't decide if I like it or nothing. The acting is bad but in the most endearing of ways that I cannot take strikes against it.

I think my biggest issue with the show is I have no idea where it is going so far.
The only "bad" acting was from his parents, who aren't actors.

It's easy to get over it.

I'm at episode 4 and I still can't decide if I like it or nothing. The acting is bad but in the most endearing of ways that I cannot take strikes against it.

I think my biggest issue with the show is I have no idea where it is going so far.

Yeah, it took me a few episodes for it to click, but even now, I still "just" like it. I'd recommend it to friends, but I'm not gonna rave about it.

I felt Denise and Brian were really stiff in their first few appearances.

Eric was pretty stiff in early episodes, too, plus his character is pretty annoying until a few episodes in.

joeposh

I felt Denise and Brian were really stiff in their first few appearances.

Yeah, the acting in those group interactions in the first few episodes is pretty clunky and unnatural. The stories help compensate though, and they seem to get more settled in as the season goes on.

I'm really enjoying his book "Modern Romance"

It's a fun read if you enjoy the show and are in the target audience (e.g. mid-20s, college educated, casual tinder user, bar hopper type). Can relate a lot to the text message game lol.

Also, yeah Kelvin Yu is a baaaaad actor.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I should have known. I stopped halfway through the first episode. The first episode of any show that isn't Lost sucks. The second episode of this is brilliant.

J2 Cool

Why is his character so blindly rich?
Taking up weekend trips on days notice where he probably spent 2k and italy trips without hesitation while claiming his sickening job doesnt pay well.
really annoys me when his character is about self reflection about gender discrimination or ethnic diversity and never speaks how well off he is. Only complains he doesnt have a nicer apartment when his parents come over. Jesus christ.

Other that, enjoyed the series mostly. Likable but peaked with episode 2.

Fbh

Finished it yesterday.
It was pretty good. For me personally it gets a bit too dramatic towards the end. The second episode was my favorite, with a good mixture of comedy and commentary.

I liked it, well most of it. Acting was really stiff from time to time. Kelvin Yu especially was bad. Or maybe I just didn't like him, but his performance felt really akward. H. Jon Benjamin was for me the higlight of the show, such sympathetic character. Colin Salmon was also freaking funny, it was very over the top but still, funny.

I'm not sure if they were going for a type of character I don't get or if he was just terrible. I don't remember him from other shows/movies so I don't know if he is usually a good actor.
But some of his scenes here looked as if it was some random non-actor friend of Aziz who read his lines for the first time literally 2 minutes before shooting

Taking up weekend trips on days notice where he probably spent 2k and italy trips without hesitation while claiming his sickening job doesnt pay well.
really annoys me when his character is about self reflection about gender discrimination or ethnic diversity and never speaks how well off he is. Only complains he doesnt have a nicer apartment when his parents come over. Jesus christ.

I felt the same way, but he was given the tickets to Nashville, so that explains that.

But yeah, the whole "Just stop what you're doing and LIVE YOUR DREAM" is something that will always grate me, because it often comes from a place from privilege.

Also, like almost any show about a "struggling" 20-30 something year old living in NY, his apartment is bomb as fuck.

Firestorm

The point of Nashville tickets was that it was $50 round trip. It's like a bus ride from Vancouver to Seattle. He seems to be well off from his commercials to the point he could take a low paying job in The Sickening just to try and get exposure in movies. I don't think the show tried to make him seem poor?

Quonny

Just finished the first episode. It was interesting, but not very funny. At least until the end. The delivery of the "sorry, that looks disgusting" was so good.

Ashhong

He specifically says that the Nashville tickets were extremely cheap, and that his Go-Gurt commercials still pay for his apartment. Therefore any other acting gigs he's had since then have gone straight to the bank.

I think he also said in an AMA that they didn't want Dev to be the typical "struggling" actor in NYC

ATF487

I felt the same way, but he was given the tickets to Nashville, so that explains that.

But yeah, the whole "Just stop what you're doing and LIVE YOUR DREAM" is something that will always grate me, because it often comes from a place from privilege.

Also, like almost any show about a "struggling" 20-30 something year old living in NY, his apartment is bomb as fuck.

Just watched the finale, I wasn't sure that was the message really.

It seemed like it was more a comment on the selfishness and indecisiveness of some of our generation. Never wanting to commit, always leaving options open.
Like what the fuck is Rachel going to do in Tokyo? Or Dev in Italy? They're afraid of picking a fig!

Last two episodes did seem to have a totally different tone, not nearly as funny but I thought they were better than everything that came before it. That's the biggest comparison I see with Louie, it's pretty versatile and not always laugh out loud hilarious. Louie is more daring though

aerts1js

Finished the show. Not every episode was amazing but at its worst it was simply "good" rather than great. Loved the last episode and the fig tree comparison. I hope there is a second season but it would be fine if it just ended as is too.

Just watched the finale, I wasn't sure that was the message really.

It seemed like it was more a comment on the selfishness and indecisiveness of some of our generation. Never wanting to commit, always leaving options open.
Like what the fuck is Rachel going to do in Tokyo? Or Dev in Italy? They're afraid of picking a fig!

They're not afraid of picking a fig, they already picked a fig. Moving to Tokyo and studying pasta making in Italy are figs that are going to rot if they simply think about it and never grab it. Of course, it's not the only decision open to them, but it's the one they picked without being besieged with indecision. I don't think moving to Tokyo or Italy are decisions that leave doors open for them. They are expensive decisions from both a monetary and personal perspective. You leave your friends behind, your partner, your family to live on your own in a country you've never been. You can always move back, but you won't get back that time or money you've sunk into that decision.

Is it selfish? Yeah maybe. But if you're constantly worried about how living your own life affects other people's lives, then you'll never make any move without consulting every single person in your life.

I think the message is that it's okay to be selfish while you still can. When settle down with a partner and have kids, that's when doors close and you have a responsibility to other people. So while you're still free, go ahead and make some selfish decisions. The people in your life are all adults and they'll deal. Rachel moving to Tokyo obviously hurt Dev immensely, but Dev dealt with it and made a decision of his own to go to Italy.

But yes, obviously if you're not rich, you don't have the privilege to simply uproot your life and move to another country. But I think the message still resonates with people who aren't rich actors or music PR managers. It's about grabbing opportunities while they are still open to you.

Not

Banned
I liked it, well most of it. Acting was really stiff from time to time. Kelvin Yu especially was bad. Or maybe I just didn't like him, but his performance felt really akward. H. Jon Benjamin was for me the higlight of the show, such sympathetic character. Colin Salmon was also freaking funny, it was very over the top but still, funny.

Kelvin Yu was great. You might not be used to confident Asian actors so your brain tells you it's unnatural and even inadequate.

Or, you just don't know what good acting is in general.

Finished the show. I liked it a lot and I really enjoyed the overall message of the show.

There was so much I could relate to, especially episode 9. Some of those fights and conversations were straight out of my previous relationships.

The biggest negative for me were the acting of Devs parents and his friends. Arnold was great but everyone else felt kind of stiff. I also cant tell if Aziz is a good actor or not since he just seems to play himself. It would have been nice if Denise and Brian had more development as well.

Hazmat

Kelvin Yu was great. You might not be used to confident Asian actors so your brain tells you it's unnatural and even inadequate.

Wow, someone has a different opinion than you so you casually suggest that he might be racist. I didn't think he was very good either, and I guess that must be from the low opinion and expectations that I have of Asians.

Dmax3901

Y'all are too critical of the acting, it's fine for a show like this. Especially when this show does what it does with its subject matter.

There's a scene in this show where he hangs out in a bar with a bunch of female co-workers and doesn't make a move on any of them. I mean I don't think I've ever seen that.

Dragon

Banned
Y'all are too critical of the acting, it's fine for a show like this. Especially when this show does what it does with its subject matter.

There's a scene in this show where he hangs out in a bar with a bunch of female co-workers and doesn't make a move on any of them. I mean I don't think I've ever seen that.

Didn't he have a girlfriend at that point?

Cocaloch

He was my favorite character in the show, and I was pretty disappointed that he was missing in most of the episodes. That being said just leaping to anyone who disagrees that he is great is a racist seems a bit poorly thought out to say the least.

You've never seen a man not flirt with his co-workers? What?

I'm not even that much of a stickler for acting on this show like everyone else and I thought he stood out as pretty weak compared to the rest of the cast (not counting Dev's parents).

I'm Asian too and always love to see one of our own play a normal dude. But he's not exactly an example I'd point to if I were making a case for strong Asian actors.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Decent show so far, 4 episodes in. Does it ever not feel so safe though? It does have that Louie vibe to it, or at least like the were going for it.. but I sometimes everything feels too convenient to the situations happening.

Davey Cakes

I generally like the show so far, but last night I watched the Nashville episode and didn't really care for it.

The whole idea of a "day trip" to Nashville as a date was already a bit out there for me.

But, then you add in some of the more cute-but-cringe-worthy interactions between Dev and Rachel, as well as the two times the Dev majorly fucked up the date without much repercussion
(choosing to eat at a restaurant without vegetarian options, and then the whole white barbecue sauce situation)
and you get something that doesn't seem great to watch.

The "cheating" episode prior was definitely better. So was the first episode with Rachel.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Decent show so far, 4 episodes in. Does it ever not feel so safe though? It does have that Louie vibe to it, or at least like the were going for it.. but I sometimes everything feels too convenient to the situations happening.
Naw, the show never gets as dark or cutting as Louie in some of its crazier moments. But it's really just doing it's own thing for the most part.

Takuan

Finished the show over the weekend, enjoyed it overall. Favorite eps were Parents, Cheating, and whichever ep had him and his friend gunning for a role on a sitcom. I enjoyed the Rachel/Dev relationship and felt they had legit chemistry. I wasn't surprised at the ending because I'm familiar with Aziz's stand-up and his stance on settling down.

I think we just know what weak acting is. It didn't help that the character was absolutely squarish, but he could've made more of it than he did. We don't get much representation in Hollywood (and those who do are almost always Korean for some reason), so it kinda sucks that this was the best dude they could get.

The whole idea of a "day trip" to Nashville as a date was already a bit out there for me.

But, then you add in some of the more cute-but-cringe-worthy interactions between Dev and Rachel, as well as the two times the Dev majorly fucked up the date without much repercussion
(choosing to eat at a restaurant without vegetarian options, and then the whole white barbecue sauce situation)
and you get something that doesn't seem great to watch.
Which interactions in particular? Also, what repercussions were you expecting from the two flubs you mentioned? They were innocent and Rachel was already established as a really easy-going girl.

Davey Cakes

Which interactions in particular? Also, what repercussions were you expecting from the two flubs you mentioned? They were innocent and Rachel was already established as a really easy-going girl.
Pretty much any time the two do the "sarcastic joke" thing to one another. It was cute at first but it's starting to appear like a crutch. Like, everything has to be a light-hearted joke, otherwise the two won't get along. It's both sort of "forced" while also appearing relatively natural. I don't know, maybe it's part of their chemistry, which is fine.

As for the "flubs," I mean, I understand that Rachel is easy-going but the vegetarian thing painted her as a pushover. I just wasn't big on that.

I like the kind of relationship that's on display here. Don't get me wrong. But, maybe I'm just not convinced yet.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Pretty much any time the two do the "sarcastic joke" thing to one another. It was cute at first but it's starting to appear like a crutch. Like, everything has to be a light-hearted joke, otherwise the two won't get along. It's both sort of "forced" while also appearing relatively natural. I don't know, maybe it's part of their chemistry, which is fine.

As for the "flubs," I mean, I understand that Rachel is easy-going but the vegetarian thing painted her as a pushover. I just wasn't big on that.

I like the kind of relationship that's on display here. Don't get me wrong. But, maybe I'm just not convinced yet.

The irony is layered heavily into basically every social interaction in the program. Also, finish the damn show.

Banglish

I LOVE his mother's performance. It's so horrifying that it's engrossing.

That's possibly the best part of the show. The look on Aziz's face is like, I know this bit is almost impossible to swallow but please, put up with it. Also.. that ending. I was laughing so hard when I realized how "prejudiced" I am lol.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

Besides the interactions between Dev and his parents, I felt Dev and Rachel felt the most real.

I dated a girl where like 80% of our first few months together were kind of like Dev and Rachel. We were both very sarcastic yet unsure people with a pinch of silliness so the joking and goofiness helped us approach each other and get to know one another from a safe distance. It was only after a few months did we start getting real, kind of like how it happens in the show.

dcelw540

Man finished the show, please tell me there will be a second season that ending is depressing as hell coming from episode 9 :(

Top Bottom