• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

y2dvd

I actually wasn't too fond of Aziz before this, but I finished binge watching it last night and absolutely adore this show. I'm surprised the first episode is getting a bad rap. It got me right away. I was dying when the little girl was just calling out people's ethnicities out loud haha!

Ep2 was totally relatable, me being a first gen asian and all. I didn't connect with my parents' past until my 20s and it was amazing to learn the hardships they went through.

I'm gonna rewatch the show and give notes on each episodes but yeah, totally more grounded than I expected which is a good thing.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
By the way, every time H Jon Benjamin pops up in some show as himself it's so hard to not visualize Archer when he's speaking.

Yeah his voice really doesn't match his appearance, it cracks me up every time.

Really enjoyed this show, I thought it captured modern dating unlike anything I've seen.

Quick

Banned
Episode 8 was pretty cool with Rachel's grandma.

Had a good laugh at a scene featured in the trailer:
The bit with Dev saying that he didn't expect Rachel's grandma to be cool with her dating an Indian dude, and her grandma's reply that just because she's old and white, he thinks she's racist.

kris.

Banned
I actually wasn't too fond of Aziz before this, but I finished binge watching it last night and absolutely adore this show. I'm surprised the first episode is getting a bad rap. It got me right away. I was dying when the little girl was just calling out people's ethnicities out loud haha!

I wasn't a huge fan of his stand-up or basically anything he'd done besides Parks & Rec before this. This show has changed some shit. I'm now reading his book Modern Romance and it's fantastic so far.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yeah his voice really doesn't match his appearance, it cracks me up every time.

Really enjoyed this show, I thought it captured modern dating unlike anything I've seen.

Guess you've never seen Jon Benjamin's stand-up. He's even funnier in that context, if possible. Saw him and Todd Barry (who plays Todd, the director of The Sickening) do a show for Sketchfest a few years back, and it was maybe one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

By the way, every time H Jon Benjamin pops up in some show as himself it's so hard to not visualize Archer when he's speaking.

it's hard not to picture archer, coach mcguirk, and bob belcher simultaneously when he's speaking

has he ever used anything other than his actual voice when it comes to voice acting? lol

Ashhong

Really? Ironically, both of them are portrayed the same age as I am right now, and I have serious doubts that a 60+ year old parent will slap upside the head of their 30 year old son. Yell? Probably. The disgruntled flashback of them knowing what they've been through and reflecting how different it is for their kids, much more conceivable.

I guess at 30 years old they would just yell. But they certainly wouldn't just be like "oh ok"

My mom was just yelling at me the other day about fixing her ipad, so I can relate lol

The money part does make it a little fantastical. You'd think a big part about a show based around young single people living in NY (especially one who is a commercial actor) would be monetary struggles, but somehow Dez is flying girls to Nashville on a first date. His dad is a doctor, right? Maybe he helps him out? Or maybe he's like Jerry on Seinfeld and just really well off.

giga

My mom was just yelling at me the other day about fixing her ipad, so I can relate lol

The money part does make it a little fantastical. You'd think a big part about a show based around young single people living in NY (especially one who is a commercial actor) would be monetary struggles, but somehow Dez is flying girls to Nashville on a first date. His dad is a doctor, right? Maybe he helps him out? Or maybe he's like Jerry on Seinfeld and just really well off.
I think the doctor angle is believable more than the actor struggling to get parts for commercials.

Seesaw15

To be fair Denise hooked him up with sweet $50 dollar tickets to Nashville.

Four episodes, down, pretty perplexed as to why this is thought highly of. Acting is extremely stiff, no chemistry, pacing is weird, story tension from characters acting like twelve year olds, lots of on the nose plot and delivery.

H. Jon Benjamin is episode 3 was probably the highlight so far.

Four episodes, down, pretty perplexed as to why this is thought highly of. Acting is extremely stiff, no chemistry, pacing is weird, story tension from characters acting like twelve year olds, lots of on the nose plot and delivery.

H. Jon Benjamin is episode 3 was probably the highlight so far.
Yea.. On episode 3 now and this show is geniunely terrible. It seems like it is trying to mimic the spirit and feel of Louie, but it lacks all heart, the writing is incredibly amateur feeling and everyone feels like they are just reading a script. None of the jokes ever really hit because of that.

I'm going to power through it cause I'm honestly at a loss on why people think it's great. Also my man Eric Wareheim is terrible so far and they keep trying to write him "random comedy" lines and it is cringey coming from the master of that stuff. Not sure how he let that crap be said.

(I was an Aziz fan before this as well...)

Hatchtag

Banned

He's 30, the son of a doctor, may have gone to college but probably didn't (his dad seems like he would have helped pay for it if he did), and has no kids or wife. It's plausible for someone to save like that and be decently off. Problem is, Dev doesn't seem like the saving type.

It's like if Parks and Rec didn't explain that Tom had terrible debt and often had to cry as a grown man in order to return things.

Burt

Oh god episode 5 fantastic that sundae

Edit: also, I was totally like "This
Colin Salmon
character is supposed to be a parody, I guess...? He totally reminds me of that dude from Resident Evil, though."

Mossybrew

Watched everything but the finale and I am really surprised how much this show has gotten under my skin. I just love spending time with an Aziz that feels more like a real person than Tom Haverford. Dude is funny and chill.

Only negatives are, I don't care much for the "issue of the week" episodes that seem a bit forced, and I'm sorry Eric Wareheim but after Tim&Eric's Awesome Show (Great Job!) he just pulls me out of every scene he's in. Bad casting IMO, show needs a more grounded actor in this role, too over the top.

Colin Salmon was probably the funniest role on the show! Hah

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I burned through Master of None this past weekend. It's a great show. Aziz was great and even though I'm older than the represented age demographic I could relate to a lot of it. I hope we get more of it at some point.

Stasis

Can anybody identify this poster in the back? I absolutely love it, but have no idea how to find it!

4oIn5DJ.png

I Googled for it during that episode! No luck, but now that I look at the pic I have some ideas. I'll check tomorrow.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first episode felt so "stand up routiney" with all the "kids suck" jokes, but the second episode felt like an actual TV episode. The first gen disappointment thing is so real. lol

Toothless

Finished the show today. The last two episodes fill tonally different than everything else, but the whole show was enjoyable. Aziz is a delight and I really liked the whole cast, despite a lot seeming unexperienced. Good stuff

Quick

Banned
Finished.

The final two episodes hit hard. Especially the finale. I need time to absorb it and I'll probably write more up.

Jake.

the only thing that bothers me is he plays a struggling comedian in the show, but lives in a crazy apartment that only a successful comedian (e.g. him in real life) could afford. it's kinda jarring.

His character here is more average Joe though so even though he does the same voice for everything I picture "Bob" more than anyone else

Also my man Eric Wareheim is terrible so far and they keep trying to write him "random comedy" lines and it is cringey coming from the master of that stuff.

The delivery is so stiff that I feel like his shots could have been filmed a week later and then cut in. It's really jarring sometimes when folks with real acting chops are juxtaposed against the folks just delivering lines.

Skyzard

Banned
Started out super strong, I dived through all the episodes so that might affect things but it got too heavy on
the relationship aspect
in later episodes for what I would have liked. But it was still very good overall, recommended it to my (UK) asian friends.

/blind opinion, time to read thread.

Just finished the Nashville episode.

It's a nice, easy to watch show with some genuine very funny bits. However, it's not on Louie level for me.

The acting and writing steadily improves with each episode. I really like the Rachel and dev chemistry. I'll keep watching.

Five episodes in, loving it so far. Such a charming show with some great lines and humour. Big fan of Aziz's general delivery as well.

In regards to the money situation people are talking about, he mentions early on that his Go-Gurt commercial is still running and making him money. He actually says its been paying his rent for years. Not having to worry about rent probably leaves a good bit of breathing space with the money he makes from the other gigs. Just a thought.

CloudWolf

I loved the episode with Colin Salmon. Reminded me a bit of Extras.

Also, what's up with H. Jon Benjamin suddenly doing all these non-voice acting roles? I mean, he's great, but with everything he says I'm expecting Archer to show up.

Quick

Banned
the only thing that bothers me is he plays a struggling comedian in the show, but lives in a crazy apartment that only a successful comedian (e.g. him in real life) could afford. it's kinda jarring.

He plays an actor in commercials.

He said that his acting gigs in commercials get him by (especially residuals from his commercials that are still on air), and being in The Sickening also got him paid. I didn't think commercials would net that kind of money, but it wasn't too jarring for me.

Hazmat

Yeah, it's just a thing in sitcoms. Everybody has great apartments, clothes, electronics etc and spends way too much money when they go out because audiences don't want to see someone with a crappy realistic life. I will admit though that I have no idea how much money an actor at his level makes.

I started this last night and made it most of the way through the second episode. It was just ok for me. I'm not a huge Aziz fan. Does it get better or is it the same stuff? I laughed a few times but not to where I was dying to see the next episode.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the season last night, really loved it.

I get why people want to compare it to Louie, but they're really nothing alike, aside from the fact that they're created by and starring a comedian.

Acting was really stiff from Dev's friends early on, but I thought they all improved as the show went on.

It got less laugh out loud funny as it progressed too, but that didn't bother me at all, and some of my favourite episodes were the "serious" ones.

number11

It started a bit meh.. Episode 3 is when it got better... But episodes 5/6 have definitely sold me on this show. I agree with whoever compared this to a Richard Linklater film rather than Louie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It started a bit meh.. Episode 3 is when it got better... But episodes 5/6 have definitely sold me on this show. I agree with whoever compared this to a Richard Linklater film rather than Louie.
It's clear that Louie wants to be Woody Allen anyway, so yeah. I suppose they're similar in terms of having a form of detachment that the characters experience while they go through their lives.

Top Bottom