• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

W/ Bob & David |OT| Mr. Show is back. Netflix Nov. 13th (David Cross, Bob Odenkirk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I thought I saw Tim Heidecker in the credits, is Eric Wareheim involved too? I see their influence a bit here...they had to have done the opening, it's just like the Awesome Show opening. It's cool that they get to work on the new season of the show that was a huge chunk of their inspiration.

funny cause its kinda the other way around, there wouldnt be a tim and eric without bob odenkirk. he literally put them on the map with their first show and producing / supporting everything they did. he's like awesome show's dad

absolutely certainly got big and theyre producing a bunch of cool stuff, but its like a hand washing itself

bob is all bob is life

funny cause its kinda the other way around, there wouldnt be a tim and eric without bob odenkirk. he literally put them on the map with their first show and producing / supporting everything they did. he's like awesome show's dad

absolutely certainly got big and theyre producing a bunch of cool stuff, but its like a hand washing itself

bob is all bob is life

yeah that's what I meant-- cool that Tim and Eric to work on the show that inspired them.

kris.

Banned
That sketch with the two cops interviewing a suspect had me rolling. These dudes are still fucking hilarious.

knkng

also this-

XmRCznz.jpg

Yeah, I thought that was cute. They also reference "baby loves head-rub" in that skit, which made me giggle.

KarmaCow

I'm bummed there's only 4 episodes since it seems like it's getting better as it goes (only have the 4th left).

The 5th Beatle sketch that devolves into a non-sequitur is 100% authentic Mr. Show concept and execution. Also, Tom Kenny brings as much energy as he ever has.

Yea that was my favourite of the bunch though I did like the first episode overall. The individual sketches fell kinda flat but the way it was stitched together was great. The behind the scenes of Odenkirk as the pope on an ATV was probably the best thing to come out of that episode. The way he delivers the line about eating garbage food, biting into a donut on a corndog and then immediately out of the shot spitting it out was hilarious.

as long as they still got doors, we'll still be around!

I thought it took off in the second episode and stayed pretty awesome after a sorta rough first ep. Those last two long sketches in the last episode were kinda amazing!

Baroni9

That definitely was more Mr. Show. My favorite sketch was probably the slave one, I loved all the trouble with the clips.

The hour long making of documentary was really cool. You really get to see their whole process.

It's also pretty crazy how they finally filmed something for Rooms: The Musical. I believe that was supposed to be a Mr. Show sketch for their fifth season that never happened. Here is an earlier, audio only version of the sketch.

Tobor

People should just leave their best work in the past.

No one ever rekindles it.

Fuck that.

This was brilliant. I watched it with some friends last night and we we were literally roaring with laughter. Much needed after the events of last night.

These new episodes are easily as amazing and funny as the old show. I'm dying for them to do more now.

Fuck that.

This was brilliant. I watched it with some friends last night and we we were literally roaring with laughter. Much needed after the events of last night.

These new episodes are easily as amazing and funny as the old show. I'm dying for them to do more now.
This

Every episode has had something we were dying of.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm glad I watched the rest. Here's how I would rank them:

1st episode: terrible.
2nd episode: decent.
3rd episode: really good. I completely lost my shit during the "Cunt" sketch.
4th episode: okay.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really liked it. I knew about Mr. Show, but didn't really watch it when it was on HBO.

The live audience did kind of kill it for me (my favorite sketches ended up being the ones that were pre-recorded).

I think that's just where comedy is now. Still really enjoyed it.

Socreges

Banned
I've never actually seen more than a couple eps of Mr Show. Was too young and never caught it on syndication. So it sucks that this was only 4 eps but at least I've got 5 (?) seasons of Mr Show now... just gotta find a way to watch them.

subrock

Loved the series, could definitely have used a longer run, but I think that's what David Cross was Hinting at in the making of. The show was riding on the success of this first run.

GC0YXB9.png

Oh my god, Shingy is actually a real person?

I enjoyed the show. It definitely had high points and lows, but that's how sketch comedy goes.

magnetic

The first episode was painful.

I loved Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman, I loved David Cross in Arrested Development, I love both on Tim & Eric, but this one felt like sketches with bad ideas that drag on for WAY too long.

But good to hear that the other episodes are better, will definitely watch all of them, I´m kinda used to good series making bad first impressions. Tim & Eric in particular can be absolutely awful at times, but then suddenly turn into complete brilliance.

I also simply like Bob and David.

ehhh - my first experience with this skit crew - pretty shitty overall. maybe got a dumb chuckle out of me here or there. nothing too good

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely adore Mr. Show, and I was pretty disappointed by this. There were so many lazy jokes and sketches with edgy, punching down humor that just... is so much less than what they're capable of. The c-word sketch was by far the worst, as I was desperately hoping that there was something more to it than David saying "cunt" over and over, but alas that was pretty much it.

You could get about an episode and a half of lower-tier Mr. Show material from the entire 4 episode run, and I spent the entire time hoping and waiting for things to click and get better. I've talked myself into the idea that if they do another season it'll be much better since they'll hopefully have more time and ideas, but I'm still pretty skeptical after this.

I quite enjoyed it. Yeah, it's not what it was 20 years ago, but I'm glad to have some new sketches out of these guys.

Just wanted to point out that Bob and David are both guests on this week's Comedy Bang Bang podcast, and the Bob part is really good anyway.

turnbuckle

Loved it, need more. I rarely even found mr. Show laugh out loud funny but was always entertained. Slow start but after the first episode it really picks up. Then ends way too soon.

Really hope they do more. A lot more

I absolutely adore Mr. Show, and I was pretty disappointed by this. There were so many lazy jokes and sketches with edgy, punching down humor that just... is so much less than what they're capable of. The c-word sketch was by far the worst, as I was desperately hoping that there was something more to it than David saying "cunt" over and over, but alas that was pretty much it.

You could get about an episode and a half of lower-tier Mr. Show material from the entire 4 episode run, and I spent the entire time hoping and waiting for things to click and get better. I've talked myself into the idea that if they do another season it'll be much better since they'll hopefully have more time and ideas, but I'm still pretty skeptical after this.

The making of (episode 5) when they're in the writing room looked painful, seemed to emphasize the lack of time they had to make it better.

I quite enjoyed it. Yeah, it's not what it was 20 years ago, but I'm glad to have some new sketches out of these guys.

Just wanted to point out that Bob and David are both guests on this week's Comedy Bang Bang podcast, and the Bob part is really good anyway.

Bob is always great on CBB, Cross has consistently come off as one of the more stuffy and reserved guests they've had on. The episode with Bob and Andy Dick was fantastic, some great improv from those two.

Glasshole

Banned
At first I was really upset to learn it was 4 episodes...then I watched the first one. It's real bad. Some of the concepts are good but good lord, the execution.

Just finished watching all four. Disappointed :(
Jimmy Saville reference in the final episode though. That was surprising.

Watching the first episode now. The laugh track ruins it completely. Do they get rid of it for the other episodes or is it always there? :/

Well first of all - laugh tracks in general feels like a thing of the past. Comedy has moved past that these days.

Secondly - Maybe it's just me, but the humor in this show is more "smile/roll eyes" than "lol", which makes the laughs feel plastered on instead of natural.

Watched all four. I don't really know how I feel about the show - it has the same rhythms, but nothing was really laugh out loud funny.

It actually felt like that comedian thing where you can see the jokes and understand where it would be funny, but aren't able to express the actual emotion of laughter. :p

This.

Watched all four episodes, didn't know Mr. Show, I had zero hype leading up to this because I didn't know it was coming, but damn. I love both David Cross and Bob Odenkirk, but this humour didn't really do it for me... At all. The jokes are really flat - like firehawk says, I get the joke - it's just not funny. The new years resolution? The cooking show? Know your rights? Didn't even smile to be honest.
But you know, everyone got different taste, and apparently quite a few people seem to enjoy the show.

Socreges

Banned
Hmmm. To me it was about the power of the word + the idea that you can never use it without repercussions. Taken to absurdity, as they do. I fucking loved it.

Also the country music video doesn't get enough love in here. I became a fan after seeing it a second time.... though I hate country music and its contemporary industry so of course I liked it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm. To me it was about the power of the word + the idea that you can never use it without repercussions. Taken to absurdity, as they do. I fucking loved it.

Also the country music video doesn't get enough love in here. I became a fan after seeing it a second time.... though I hate country music and its contemporary industry so of course I liked it.
Like, I expected them to actually show repercussions, rather than go for the one note joke a few more times? I think they could've had a decent sketch there, but it was underdeveloped and ended up just being bad.

The music video was one of my three favorite things in the season, and was definitely great.

brandtron8000

Neo Member
The cunt sketch is what I was referring to here:

I got lucky enough to see the final taping of this! So excited to see how it all comes together.

There was a pre-taped sketch they showed that had me rolling. Dino was in it and definitely gave me an "audition" or "pre-taped call in" type vibe in it's greatness.

It was a pretty awesome experience. I actually won the tickets on twitter:

https://twitter.com/brandtron8000/status/591472234012626946

I remember Scott Auckerman had a hard time getting "the sharks are circling" down and Paul F was amazing between everything, which you can see a lot of in the ep 5 doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom