• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

W/ Bob & David |OT| Mr. Show is back. Netflix Nov. 13th (David Cross, Bob Odenkirk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
MZqUMAt.jpg

After being dishonorably discharged from the Navy Seals, Bob and David are back serving our country the way they do best -- making sketch comedy.

Release date: Hitting Netflix November 13th.

Links:

Reviews:

• Deadline:
    All four episodes of the half-hour show are going up on the steaming service on November 13, and if you loved Mr. Show With Bob & David on HBO back in the late 1990s, as I did, then you are really going to love W/ Bob & David. Having lost none of their absurdist wit, the busy Better Call Saul and Arrested Development actors are fantastically foul-mouthed funny and full of a spark that has actually become more nimble with age. Combine it with the soon-to-debut Master Of None from Aziz Ansari and more Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on the way, and Netflix is hitting comedy home runs long and frequently.

Cast:
David Cross
JdEpynB.jpg

Bob Odenkirk
SskOM8r.jpg

Promo pictures:

nicolajNN

I wonder, given the kind of show this seems to be, if they will add more episodes throughout the next year, because 4 half hour episodes is not very much

Anyway, never watched Mr. Show, but from the couple bits from this on Youtube I am very much looking forward to it

DrBo42

At first I was really upset to learn it was 4 episodes...then I watched the first one. It's real bad. Some of the concepts are good but good lord, the execution.

Salsa

At first I was really upset to learn it was 4 episodes...then I watched the first one. It's real bad. Some of the concepts are good but good lord, the execution.

show is bound to be divisive

its really reminescent of the original mr show, which means it sits at an even weirder place now in the current landscape of comedy where stuff feels very similar or hits kinda the same beats

what I always liked about it is just how absurd it gets and that's definetly here too. So far some sketches are noticeably better than others but I enjoy how it all comes together and to the degree of nonsense it goes. the 'live audience' also makes it feel out of time, just kinda like mr show never ended and its airing at that same date

also, I fucking love the intro. Bob showing that tim & eric producer side

Salsa

show is bound to be divisive

its really reminescent of the original mr show, which means it sits at an even weirder place now in the current landscape of comedy where stuff feels very similar or hits kinda the same beats

what I always liked about it is just how absurd it gets and that's definetly here too. So far some sketches are noticeably better than others but I enjoy how it all comes together and to the degree of nonsense it goes. the 'live audience' also makes it feel out of time, just kinda like mr show never ended and its airing at that same date

only similar thing in terms of humour style I could compare it too nowadays is something like the comedy bang bang TV show (not that surprising since scotty auks is a mr show alumn and has his hand in this new series too), which I love, and many people dislike or not find funny.

Absurd comedy where sometimes the fun comes from running way too long or deep with a bad joke till shit gets ridiculous.

also, I fucking love the intro. Bob showing that tim & eric producer side

Sanjuro

Just finished up. I thought it was great. Felt like Mr. Show never left.

Fifth episode is a documentary on the making apparently. Going to watch that later.

I'm not familiar with Mr. Show, but I guess I'll check this out. Odenkirk was funny in Curb your Enthusiasm and Breaking Bad / BCS.

knkng

Just finished episode 2. If you're not familiar with Mr. Show then this might seem like a bit of an oddball, but I'd say it's right in line with where they left off in 1998 (and they make it pretty damn obvious that's what they were going for). It's gonna be hit and miss for most people, but Mr. Show always was.

Also, I think the interrogation sketch from episode 2 is going to become a classic. Right up there with the lie detector and the audition sketches from Mr. Show.

Lie Detector

The Audition

obin_gam

Watching the first episode now. The laugh track ruins it completely. Do they get rid of it for the other episodes or is it always there? :/

Salsa

Watching the first episode now. The laugh track ruins it completely. Do they get rid of it for the other episodes or is it always there? :/

it depends on the segment

and many times its an actual live audience. they actually straight up leave the very few laughs some jokes that dont quite hit get, rather than just put more in there

this is how mr show was

knkng

It's shot/screened in front of an audience, so no. I'm not exactly sure how the laughter of a live audience can ruin it, but whatever.

obin_gam

It's shot/screened in front of an audience, so no. I'm not exactly sure how the laughter of a live audience can ruin it, but whatever.

Well first of all - laugh tracks in general feels like a thing of the past. Comedy has moved past that these days.

Secondly - Maybe it's just me, but the humor in this show is more "smile/roll eyes" than "lol", which makes the laughs feel plastered on instead of natural.

Tobor

It's a sketch comedy show. What sketch comedy show doesn't have an audience?

Monty Python had an audience. Kids in the Hall had an audience. Mr. Show had an audience. Saturday Night Live has an audience.

Salsa

the cunt sketch is brilliant

It's a sketch comedy show. What sketch comedy show doesn't have an audience?

Monty Python had an audience. Kids in the Hall had an audience. Mr. Show had an audience. Saturday Night Live has an audience.

the birthday boys is brilliant and doesnt have one, glad to see them work here after their show got cancelled :(

not disagreeing with you tho

knkng

Just finished episodes 3 and 4. The show was enjoyable overall, but it honestly felt like it was missing some of the "oomph" from Mr. Show, if that makes any sense.

For example, the "Cunt" sketch was a great concept, but it felt like it was drowned in poor timing. Each of the four scenarios should have been more rapid-fire, driving straight to the ultimate punchline. It should have played out more like "My Father Touched My Butthole", or something along those lines. Don't even give it the time to sink in, just go for it.

I also felt there weren't enough silly gags and punchlines. The shit that would come completely out of left field, like a knife through the throat of a fat kid, or a monkey named Dr. Baloney. It really felt like they were holding back compared to the old days, which is very unfortunate.

Well first of all - laugh tracks in general feels like a thing of the past. Comedy has moved past that these days.

Secondly - Maybe it's just me, but the humor in this show is more "smile/roll eyes" than "lol", which makes the laughs feel plastered on instead of natural.

I know a lot of people think this way, so I'm not trying to single you out or anything, but I just don't get it. There's an audience. They laugh. What does "comedy has moved past that" even mean?

obin_gam

I know a lot of people think this way, so I'm not trying to single you out or anything, but I just don't get it. There's an audience. They laugh. What does "comedy has moved past that" even mean?
it has moved to a point where the show creators trust their audience to make up their own minds when to laugh, instead of following a set "here is where you should laugh"

I'm not familiar with Mr. Show, but I guess I'll check this out. Odenkirk was funny in Curb your Enthusiasm and Breaking Bad / BCS.

The original run is still completely fresh. The references can be dated, but everything else is up to 2000s standards b/c they pretty much invented them with Mr. Show.

gonna watch this in a few hours. Not surprised at the reactions so far lol

here's what bob wrote about the "laugh track" on youtube:
Bob Odenkirk here. I asked for the upload, because this is how we made the show. With a live audience. No laugh track. this is just one scene that an audience experienced together, LIVE. No laugh track. Would never use one. I like sketch comedy with an audience. Did I mention that it's NOT a laugh track. Anyway, let me reiterate. Not a laugh track. Enjoy.

knkng

Edit: What Bob said ^

it has moved to a point where the show creators trust their audience to make up their own minds when to laugh, instead of following a set "here is where you should laugh"

Ok, but we're not talking about inserting laughter into The Flintstones or Scooby Doo. You're either suggesting that comedy can never be taped in front of an audience, or they have to build a sound proof wall between the audience and the performers. Even then it doesn't work with Mr. Show (or this new show), since there's usually a decent amount of audience interaction. I mean, the premise has always been that they are performing in front of a dinner club audience, and then it just spirals off into nonsense.

Mature

I'm bummed there's only 4 episodes since it seems like it's getting better as it goes (only have the 4th left).

The 5th Beatle sketch that devolves into a non-sequitur is 100% authentic Mr. Show concept and execution. Also, Tom Kenny brings as much energy as he ever has.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure how I feel about the show. It definitely feels like Mr Show, but I don't think it's that funny... at least not 2 episodes in anyway.

I thought some of the sketches fell flat, and some were left to linger too long, but there was some great stuff in there.

Hopefully this wasn't a one off thing. I'd love it if they could do 4 episodes a year.

Salsa

thankfully comedy doesnt have to "advance" and we can have several styles and types of things instead of just what you personally like. y'know

also kinda funny that you just completely disregard the fact that its a live show and the audience gives a very different feedback to the performers that make it just a completely different thing in like.. every aspect of the timing and even the quality itself

it's not a track for you to know when to laugh

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watched all four. I don't really know how I feel about the show - it has the same rhythms, but nothing was really laugh out loud funny.

It actually felt like that comedian thing where you can see the jokes and understand where it would be funny, but aren't able to express the actual emotion of laughter. :p

first ep starts off shaky, but i've laughed a lot during the first two eps

episode 2 also starts off rough, mostly cause I'm not really in the mood for a heavy handed terrorist joke tonight for some reason (though i liked the ending where they're giving notes.) Unfortunate timing there. rest of the episode has felt like classic Mr Show--a lot of the same comedic tricks, sketches flowing in and out of each other. Good stuff.

I thought I saw Tim Heidecker in the credits, is Eric Wareheim involved too? I see their influence a bit here...they had to have done the opening, it's just like the Awesome Show opening. It's cool that they get to work on the new season of the show that was a huge chunk of their inspiration.

edit: also for some reason I thought Tom Kenney and Jill Talley weren't coming back, so that's a pleasant surprise. I saw that one pic Paul Tomkins posted on twitter, heard the news, and pretty much tried my best to forget about it until today.

Sanjuro

Mr. Show I wouldn't call laugh out loud funny either at all times. It's weird humor before the Tim and Erics of the world took it further another step. Kind of funny their production company is handling it.

I'd say if you are familiar with and like Mr. Show, at the very least you'll feel welcome here.

Mr. Show I wouldn't call laugh out loud funny either at all times. It's weird humor before the Tim and Erics of the world took it further another step. Kind of funny their production company is handling it.

I'd say if you are familiar with and like Mr. Show, at the very least you'll feel welcome here.

oh right the Ab-so-lutely guy

Makes sense that they'd handle production. I hope they do more stuff for Netflix!

also this-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom