• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Master of None starring Aziz Ansari - Netflix Series - S1 out now; S2 coming in 2017

ryseing

Noel Wells is so adorable.

Anyway, between this and Modern Romance, Aziz has nailed what it feels like to be a 20 something in 2015.

"We can be shitty to people now!" So on point.

is this the show harris wittles was going to be working on?

He has story credits, so I'm assuming yes.

Dereck

Be a 20 something or older in 2015 and watch shit like Broad City and this.

What a time to be 20 something

....It feels good to be represented.

dankir

Just watched Ep 4 and 5 with the wife last night. Fucking hilarious.

Sometimes its pure comedy, sometimes its serious shit. I'm desi and I been through a lot of the stuff that's been depicted here.

Fantastic show. Just fantastic.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
what a bitter sweet ending. loved this show a lot. like a really great book. very calming.

Z..

"I'm not really sure what they think this cake is for" absolutely slayed me. This show is incredible...

Div3x

Neo Member
just finished watching episode 10, really didn't expect that ending.

spoilers end of season:
really expected him to go talk with Rachel and move with her to Japan after the talk with that other actor, im a sucker for good endings so im not sure if i prefer it over your typical love story ending but it was played out real nicely.

So it's Sunday. Tonight is Homeland
I just happened to start episode 5

WTF is that Carrie. Lol

Edit: cracking up. CarPerson Car human. Car man
Then followed by Banana Split scene.
It must be the new writer. But it's the most laugh I had

It's kind of silly to give my thoughts after the first two episodes, but, hey, it's the internet:

I really, really like this show AND I'm a bit let down because of all the superlatives being thrown at it. It's cute, it's funny, and it has messages, but it definitely has its shortcomings. For all the mentions of Louie this show has inspired, I was expecting a similar level of acting, and so far it's not even close. Dev's friends are absolutely terrible actors. I was also expecting a similar level of subtlety: Louie, the show and the comedian, often work with lots of small ideas, putting in a lot of effort to explore a certain point of view. So far, Master of None is happy just literally telling the viewer what it's about.

Having said that, I am still really enjoying it. I'm treating it like a cartoon, in the best sense of the word, and I still find it very cute and with relatable themes. There is plenty of room for many different kinds of show, and not everything has to be super cereal all the time. I'm just warning other big Louie fans not to expect the same level of mastery... maybe that's what the title implies :p

Walpurgis

Banned
I just watched episode 2. I really appreciate how the show isn't just comedy and actually has things to say. This was a lot better than the last episode (which I did like) and I could really relate to this one. My dad grew up in the jungle and now has a phone that talks to him...that really is crazy. What Dev's mom said about her experience when she first came to America mirrors what my mom said about her first days in Canada. She was basically left home alone while my dad worked and she couldn't really speak English so she was very timid. She learned most of her English from TV (Saved by the Bell, Golden Girls, Dallas, soap operas, etc.).

Even the racist experiences in the flashbacks were familiar. My mom was once accused of stealing by a racist worker in a super market. I guess the worker had seen other women that looked like my mom steal before. What that lady didn't expect was my mom had a much better command of the English language than those other women (she had lived in the country for a few years at this point), so my mom told her off. My dad also had a similar story. He fixed computers and had a client straight up tell him that he wouldn't leave him alone in the room with all of the computers because he's black and he'll probably steal everything.

Unlike Dev and Brian, I don't treat my parents like shit and have actually talked with them about their journey. Even so, I learn new things all the time. For example, I've noticed my dad has always had a funny way of pronouncing things, even considering that he came from East Africa. I found out that he learned English in the U.K. so he kind of has a British accent (we live in Canada). I also learned a few months ago that he was arrested and spent 3 weeks in a U.K. jail (illegal immigrant or something). It's just crazy the stuff that immigrants go through to get here.

And it's really great to have a show like this.

RC

Banned
Two episodes in and wow was that ever relatable.

Don't think I've ever said that about a show before.

Thought it was kinda funny that Rachel is pretty much the quintessential manic pixie dream girl. Looked up the actress, and turns out she does parodies of Zooey Deschanel for SNL lol

LionPride

Banned
Watching the Indian racism episode with my mom, she was devastated that Zach from Saved by the Bell made the joke. I love the show so far. That dad episode is gonna be me and my mom in 15 years

bounchfx

just finished it, loved it

finale:

i'm so fucking glad he didnt go to japan. as soon as I saw the flight thing I was thinking 'maybe he's going to chase her and cultivate the relationship and try to improve it', but then i saw the asians on the plane and thought there's no way.. this is pure misdirection. yup. so glad he's going to italy instead. that shit ran it's course and it's time for a new adventure.
Great show.

neshcom

Banned
In episode 3 and the show's been really dense in plot. Episode 2 felt especially heavy-handed. I'll try to give a few more episodes a shot, but it just doesn't feel all the way there. The show is gorgeous, but feels slow and sterile for as bright as Aziz acts. Dev feels so much like a cartoon and the people around him feel much more real and improvised.

Sami+

Just finished. Rated 5 stars.

... Man. I honestly got teary
at the excerpt from The Bell Jar, about the figs. This girl I'm seeing now, I like her a lot, and we've been having some really deep talks about our futures. Not together, we're not on that level yet, but just in general. I definitely am gonna watch this with her. She's talked about one of her greatest fears being chained down and stuck going through the motions of marriage and parenting. I understand it, but then, that stuff means a lot to me too.

I dunno. This show's real. I'm gonna be reflecting on it for a while. I love Aziz but I didn't expect something on this level from him.

she got annoying after that.
too nitpicky about everything
but good fit for Dev

who gets pissed about missing a niece's recital

I would, lol. I love my nieces.

Episode 8
That's heart warming. Really brought a smile

Edit:
she got annoying after that.
too nitpicky about everything
but good fit for Dev

who gets pissed about missing a niece's recital
is this about episode 9. But that episode kind of reflects a relationship episode theme. Condensed in an episode.

Nosgotham

Netflix has another standout show in its Arsenal I see. I just finished episode 10. Great season for sure. It's a bit heavy handed with how it explains some topics to the audience but the stuff dev says is just s fresh breath of air sometimes. The show got better with each episode too, which is weird.

Squire

Banned
Seven episodes in. I think it's phenomenal. It's insightful, diverse, critical, but not cynical. I think it's hilarious with a real heart. Please, please do a season 2.

BSherrod

I really enjoyed this, especially the second half of the season. To me it feels like a situation where the whole is better than the sum of the parts because the small quibbles I had at the beginning where forgotten by the finale. Hats off to Aziz for this.

RedAssedApe

Banned
wasn't a fan of the ending. although thats primarily because
i'm a sucker for happy endings
in any show with a romance component to it.

Hachimaki

Finished watching the season. Amazing show and great humor. I loved every episode with Arnold in it especially with the toy seal.

Stasis

Such a good show. I just blitzed through it, was up all night. Really didn't expect this as I'm not a huge Ansari fan. Well I wasn't before anyway, guess I am now.

Anyone know the name of the song playing in the finale when he's
packing/at the airport
? We don't hear much of it, but I'm intrigued... It's not on Tunefind either.

Top Bottom