• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

Toki767

well of course i want another 2d side-scroller by inafune and the more kickstarters from japanese game designers the better... but they really need to sort their shit and be more efficent like western indie developers...almost a milion dollar and a release date of 2015 for a 2d side-scroller? really ?

Western indie guys like Double Fine who got over 3 million for their kickstarter and still can't get their game out in a timely manner.

-MB-

Flatlining and hitting a stride are two different things. Wii U is surviving, and just barely

The majority of the hardcore crowd that wants to play a game like this will have moved on. It's already not going to have much visibility by the very nature of being an indie title.. Would've been smarter to go with PS4/XB1 while the platforms are young. They're especially catering to the hardcore and the competition pool is much smaller.

funny, coming from someone who also has Vita in the list of systems it should come to instead.

PsionBolt

Please, please let this project succeed and be great. I love it already.

Then once it does, kickstart a Not-Megaman-Legends project in the same universe. I'll support that one even harder.

wrowa

well of course i want another 2d side-scroller by inafune and the more kickstarters from japanese game designers the better... but they really need to sort their shit and be more efficent like western indie developers...almost a milion dollar and a release date of 2015 for a 2d side-scroller? really ?

You are aware that Spring 2015 gives them just a little over a year, right? That's hardly a long development, to the contrary.

Village

Inafune, please make a Not-Her version of this unused MML3 design:

oTcQeA9.jpg

Plz

I second this.

I'm kinda worried they might get hit with a cease and desist from Capcom. Game looks waaaay too similar to Megaman. So far at least.
Well, the title references Cyborg 009 at the same time that the game could play more like a mix of Rockman and Kirby. Not that it's very original what he's designing, but things ought to be okay.

casmith07

Backed. Only $5 for now. If it gets closer to being a Mac or Console release (since those are all I've got) I'll definitely spring for more of a donation.

Wish there were going to be 3DS/Vita versions, though.

Sorral

The soundtrack is so gooooood. Backed!

Man, I hope this turns out to be very successful.

I'd love a vita or a PS4 version though. Shahid went on a break from twitter for a week...maybe I should send him a tweet anyway, but might be annoying.

I don't understand, you have creative freedom outside of Capcom and you make the same game with a new name? I'm disappointed.

El Sloth

Banned
You are simultaneously the best and worst for reminding me of this. How this design lost is still perplexing.
The internet has bad taste, man. Don't forget about 2nd best girl!

Rawe8R8.jpg

Edit: oh damn, beaten. I see I'm not the only one that was massively disappointed by the actual winner.

Kikujiro

They didn't bother at all with the subtlety huh. Kinda surprised how derivative this is, from pretty much every perspective. Though I guess they are taking the skills a bit further, but still.

I actually really like this. It's like they are saying "this is what we want to make, while Capcom has the IP and won't do it, screw them".

This actually looks pretty fucking awesome and coming straight to PC? Definitely gonna put in $20.

Edit: The $40 tier looks too good.

casmith07

The soundtrack is so gooooood. Backed!

Man, I hope this turns out to be very successful.

I'd love a vita or a PS4 version though. Shahid went on a break from twitter for a week...maybe I should send him a tweet anyway, but might be annoying.

Does he respond? This is one that Sony/Shahid might want to moneyhat for a little Vita exclusive love.

Would be epic to get it cross-buy on PS4/PS3/Vita.

JordanN

Banned
I'm kinda worried they might get hit with a cease and desist from Capcom. Game looks waaaay too similar to Megaman. So far at least.

Regardless, I'm in for $60. Quite possibly the most thoroughly interesting kickstarter I've read.
For that to happen, Capcom has to acknowledge Mega Man exists. So Inafune is safe.

Sorral

I'm in for $20. Also tweeted at @giocorsi to see if he can fast track this to PSN, he DID say we should ask him for any game!

Ooooh, I almost forgot about that new third party production thing! I'm going to tweet him as well.

Does he respond? This is one that Sony/Shahid might want to moneyhat for a little Vita exclusive love.

Would be epic to get it cross-buy on PS4/PS3/Vita.

I didn't tweet Shahid. His last tweet is that he is on a break from twitter for a week.

jett

D-Member
Does 2PP have enough people to document this and DFA at the same time? I assume they'll be going to Japan for this one. Honestly this part of the KS intrigues more than the actual game since we rarely, if ever, see behind the scenes stuff in Japanese game development.

edit: oh nm, the documentary is just for the 2 million stretch goal, sux. I'll wait and see if it reaches that, then. :p And only three 30 minute episode? Eh.

vireland

I don't understand, you have creative freedom outside of Capcom and you make the same game with a new name? I'm disappointed.

I completely understand. Take something very loved, familiar, and that fans have been asking for and use that as a jumping off point into something that looks similar, but is new in alot of ways. It's good insurance for a Kickstarter. Also, having 8-4 involved is a huge plus.

I backed this immediately.

Kurod

Banned
Aaaand backed. I so hope this meets and possibly exceeds those stretch goals. This already looks wonderful.

Cartman86

Banned
We realize it can be hard to envision the project, since everything we’ve shown so far are mockups made for design documents. We do want to be clear this is no retro de-make; the fidelity we based our budget on to set our initial Kickstarter goal is for a game in-line with AAA current-gen console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U) 2D download titles. We can also safely say the plan is to use what is often called the “2.5D” setup: 3D models for characters and most objects, with the gameplay in 2D.

But maybe a better way of thinking about it is this: No matter what, Mighty No. 9 won’t be pushing the technological envelope of what the hottest AAA next-gen games are doing, but that’s not the point; the point is it’s going to look awesome—at least so awesome, in terms of both design and tech, that you won’t be thinking about how many polygons or shaders or GURPS or whatever that it’s pushing or not pushing. If you’re still wondering, you could look at the two developers working on Mighty No. 9, look at their previous games, look at the early art and overall production value you see evident on this page, and decide for yourself what they are capable of. Either way, we are confident that, if you were interested enough in the game to read this far into the page, you don’t need to worry about this.

They aren't targeting crazy next gen (whatever that would be for a 2.5 D game at this point). That being said this will come out on next gen consoles obviously.

BoSox06DH

First Kickstarter I'll bite on. And holy shit at how quick the money is racking up, everyone's thirsty for some not-Megaman action.

Squire

Banned
Why mention Vita and diss Wii U? They are both in the same situation lol

Sales-wise, of course. Sony's positioned Vita as a home for indie games though. Nintendo's not done the same for Wii U.

I mean, the proof is in the pudding. Are there as many indie games on or coming to Wii U as Vita?

wilflare

wonder how Capcom feels about this once it's become a success
(all that lost monies)

I'm getting this, brother is a big megaman fan!~

Tobe

look at what dota did with compendiums. im pretty sure that maybe give this game another month they get to the final stretch goal. tempted at the 250 tier. tho a sketch hand drawn by inafune at 500 is really tempting. there is already one dude backed for the create your challenge.

Top Bottom