• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is the next Twitch Marathon

Heel

RUINED

meQVUocl.jpg

D-Pad

Having had to put down my cat (of 14 years) yesterday, that last episode (with the fish's death) had me all choked up. Mr. Rogers why!! T nT

I always wanted to see his trolley picture in the background up close. This is the best I can get, and I had to make it from one photo with good detail but poor colors combined with another photo with better color but lacking detail and using a third photo as proportion reference. The search continues.

KAVdWpY.jpg

If you were in any doubt that Mister Rogers was a living saint, read this piece on him back from 1998.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a27134/can-you-say-hero-esq1198/

...Then the car stopped on Thirty-fourth Street, in front of the escalators leading down to the station, and when the doors opened—"Holy shit! It's Mister Fucking Rogers!"—he turned into Mister Fucking Rogers. This was not a bad thing, however, because he was in New York, and in New York it's not an insult to be called Mister Fucking Anything. In fact, it's an honorific. An honorific is what people call you when they respect you, and the moment Mister Rogers got out of the car, people wouldn't stay the fuck away from him, they respected him so much. Oh, Margy Whitmer tried to keep people away from him, tried to tell people that if they gave her their names and addresses, Mister Rogers would send them an autographed picture, but every time she turned around, there was Mister Rogers putting his arms around someone, or wiping the tears off someone's cheek, or passing around the picture of someone's child, or getting on his knees to talk to a child. Margy couldn't stop them, and she couldn't stop him. "Oh, Mister Rogers, thank you for my childhood." "Oh, Mister Rogers, you're the father I never had." "Oh, Mister Rogers, would you please just hug me?" After a while, Margy just rolled her eyes and gave up, because it's always like this with Mister Rogers, because the thing that people don't understand about him is that he's greedy for this—greedy for the grace that people offer him. What is grace? He doesn't even know. He can't define it. This is a man who loves the simplifying force of definitions, and yet all he knows of grace is how he gets it; all he knows is that he gets it from God, through man. And so in Penn Station, where he was surrounded by men and women and children, he had this power, like a comic-book superhero who absorbs the energy of others until he bursts out of his shirt.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
erander45: "back in my day this was photoshop, we called it woodshop:

lmao.

Laws00

Is it me or is this marathon not as popular as it could/should be?

I didn't come in at the beginning but I've seen the stream at like a consistent 3k something.

I don't know if it might have slipped below that but I thought the numbers would be at like 4K to maybe 5k throughout this.

Brandson

I wish there was a way to just buy or stream on-demand all the Mr. Rogers episodes for my kids. Getting this and Sesame Street in Canada is cruelly difficult.

Ferrio

Banned

I didn't come in at the beginning but I've seen the stream at like a consistent 3k something.

I don't know if it might have slipped below that but I thought the numbers would be at like 4K to maybe 5k throughout this.

Ya it's awfully low, which is a shame. Highest I saw was 10k near the beginning, now it hovers between 1500-3000, with spikes to 5000.

Laws00

See this gets me worried if they do a :

bill nye the science guy

reading rainbow

magic school bus

and they might not be popular too

Only other PBS show I think would be successful would be Arthur I don't know about Sesame street or Muppet Related stuff that might be hit or miss

batfax

Only other PBS show I think would be successful would be Arthur I don't know about Sesame street or Muppet Related stuff that might be hit or miss

There are like 4,000 episodes of Sesame Street.

That would be the greatest marathon of all time.

edit: Another guest star episode. This time with Julia Child... and Smokey the Bear!

Permanently A

Bob Ross was the first one and so it had popularity boost for that, including the fact that watching him paint was very chill and with the chat memes it was a very funny experience.

Power Rangers was cool because of the nostalgia and there was actual storylines and stuff.

Mr. Rogers is a great show, but its a children's show. Its not really engaging to watch for long periods of time, for me anyways.

I second the idea of an Arthur marathon. Plays into the nostalgia and the show is actually still interesting to watch for older audiences. There's no action or anything but the storylines were actually remarkably interesting now that I think about it.

why is Mister Rogers such a good dude? how?

That was his vocation. His purpose. To live a life of love, peace, and service to others in the footsteps of Jesus as he actually was portrayed in the New Testament of the Bible. Not the fake Supply Side Jesus that the bigoted half of America now follows.

Ferrio

Banned
lol it looked like Lady Aberlin (the real one, allegedly) got into the chat right as they were skeeving on her in a bathing outfit.

Ya she pops in. I guess she said that chat shouldn't act any different with her being there. From what I've seen her say it sounds like it's doing some good to her self esteem, she claims she's a very shy person.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chat going in on Fred using "Yellow People" at the time for talking about making baskets.

Ferrio

Banned
Final classic episode playing now, 3 year hiatus after this one. This episode makes me think they didn't know it would come back, they're pretty much saying farewell.

nasax

Lady(Betty) Aberlin replied directly to me in the chat and I felt like a rockstar. That made my freaking year!

Top Bottom