• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Will Render at 600p

deepbrown

Dot50Cal said:
Can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully it wont be as noticeable as it has been on some titles.

Wait, why is a mac user touting superiority on a gaming forum?
Can we have a comparison to WipEout HD's resolution now please? :D

AlStrong

deepbrown said:
IW are frame-rate Nazi's. They want 60fps - they use a 600p engine to achieve it. There's also a matter of wanting 2xAA at 60fps too - and to get through the 360's EDRAM without tiling they'll need to target less than 720p.

Alternatively, they could have gone with something like 1280x1024 without MSAA, but that's a lot more pixel shading and hit to fillrate. FWIW, 1024x640 with 2xMSAA would have fit exactly too assuming the Z-buffer is the same res.

As someone pointed out above with regards to Mark Rein's comment on HDTV uptake, I'm not so sure it matters. They could just as easily be rendering 480p w/ 4xMSAA for SD output. It's been awhile since we've had a look at that resolution (it's what COD2 did, and yes the frame rate was a lot better).

deepbrown

AlStrong said:
Alternatively, they could have gone with something like 1280x1024 without MSAA, but that's a lot more pixel shading and hit to fillrate. FWIW, 1024x640 with 2xMSAA would have fit exactly too assuming the Z-buffer is the same res.

As someone pointed out above with regards to Mark Rein's comment on HDTV uptake, I'm not so sure it matters. They could just as easily be rendering 480p w/ 4xMSAA for SD output. It's been awhile since we've had a look at that resolution (it's what COD2 did, and yes the frame rate was a lot better).

Yep, they could have done that - bit like Halo 3. But that 600p enures their framerate.

Sure it has JUST as much to do with the PS3 as well - COD4 was around 50fps on PS3 and 60fps on 360 anyway.

Dabookerman said:
God.. some people are fucking stupid.
who? :/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
skybastos said:
if console version X was 600p and console version Y was 720p, this thread will be probably 50pages by now... wonderful world of hypocrisy :p
Wel.. we have 5 pages of 'PC Version is superior you silly console players' so its cool.

-viper-

Banned
Too bad. Call Of Duty games look far more blurry than other games (which are rendered at 720p). I compare RE5 with COD4 and it's day and night with the sharpness.

But 60FPS is cool.

AndyD

aka andydumi
-viper- said:
Too bad. Call Of Duty games look far more blurry than other games (which are rendered at 720p). I compare RE5 with COD4 and it's day and night with the sharpness.

But 60FPS is cool.

This.

High five to my other master race friends!! PC this time around, no question. Or maybe a cheapo version of COD down the line. Like COD4, there will be tons of used copies a few weeks after launch.

Facism

60fps is more important than 720p, they're doing the right thing.

Doesn't really matter to me in the end, i'll be going PC if i can get it for £30.

Duke Togo

Have fun explaining to your friends that you won't buy this because it only renders at 600p. For fucks sake. Only on Neogaf.

BeeDog

No real surprise, but it's still a bit of a shame since CoD4 has pretty lousy image quality (at least noticeable worse than other proper 720p games). But, to be honest, I don't mind it that much unless one version of the game is blatantly worse than the other (Ghostbusters, I'm looking at you!). 60 FPS helps. :D

butts

TheExodu5 said:
Why would PC gamers care about this? We're unaffected.

Actually we are affected positively by this because obviously they are pushing things with this game that the consoles cant do at 720, meaning more effects/better assets that we can take full advantage of at any resolution.

At least that's my interpretation.

As long as there is a lot of AA, I'm fine. Halo 3 and Bionic Commando are very offensive to my eyes for exemple. But I had no problem with the look of CoD4. As long as the framerate is rock solid it's not a big deal.

Duke Togo said:
Have fun explaining to your friends that you won't buy this because it only renders at 600p. For fucks sake. Only on Neogaf.
iceatcs: "i not buy it. 600p is more shorter than Killzone 2"

Friends: "Why do we hang out with this guy?"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So we've gone from complaining about resolution to picking on a deaf guy's English.

Can we get any more rock bottom in this thread?

jaypah

holy shit, there's a lot of junior members with nice rigs now. that's awesome for the sake of PC game discussion. now you guys can talk about some games instead of telling me how inferior i am! who am i kidding, when you buy a nice PC you buy the right to be a complete asshole so you'll do both. congrats anyway, that guy that used to sport the deer hunter avatar would be proud.

*edit- BORRYS was his name right? God, that was going to drive me crazy.

rpmurphy said:
Console vs. PC gaming wars will never die, will they? lol

war? surely you mean slaughtering, right? in that battle console gamers don't have a leg to stand on and PC gamers know this and tell me constantly. in related news, i'm surprised to not see brain_stew in here. of course i only read the first and last page though.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
console things are so curiously malleable when it comes to anything resembling standards.

you'll cry foul and lord your graphical prowess over waggling underlings, yet when your false prophet is bested by the mighty quake 3 engine, the broken record falls from the table, smashes into a thousand pieces and is promptly brushed under the carpet.

such an ignoble, wretched race.

Haunted said:
I'll take both, thank you very much.

The Call of Duty Engine is seriously showing its age, but being on the cutting edge of technology isn't as important (even in the very competitive realm of FPS games) if you've got such a huge brand name going.

pretty much

tbh, I've gotten to a point where, unless a game looks bad, I won't complain even if it doesn't look good. CoD4 and the videos of MW2 look good enough on the 360/PS3, resolution woes and all. I'm happy that this time around, I have a PC capable of running the game flawlessly.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ghst said:
console things are so curiously malleable when it comes to anything resembling standards.

you'll cry foul and lord your graphical prowess over waggling underlings, yet when your false prophet is bested by the mighty quake 3 engine, the broken record falls from the table, smashes into a thousand pieces and is promptly brushed under the carpet.

ghst
thanks for the laugh
(Today, 10:55 AM)

Tom Penny

PC owners FTW !! My old rig will easily get 60 FPS at much higher resolution and that mouse thing works pretty good for shooters too....

TheExodu5

Banned
butts said:
Actually we are affected positively by this because obviously they are pushing things with this game that the consoles cant do at 720, meaning more effects/better assets that we can take full advantage of at any resolution.

At least that's my interpretation.

Best thing about the 600p news is that the resolution did not drop since MW1. That means PCs shouldn't have any harder time rendering this game than with MW1.

The resolution doesn't necessarily mean we'll get better assets...in fact, I'm doubtful that would be the case. I don't think we really got better assets with MW1 on the PC.

-PXG-

Who the fuck cares? The game is going to run like a dream. Can any of you tell the difference between 600 and 720 anyway?

Uh......NOOOOOOOOO!

No you can't. Unless you're sitting an inch away from your screen, take a screen cap/ pause the game and using a magnifying glass, it ain't going too any different.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
ghst said:

b80gie.jpg

Top Bottom