• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Warfare 2 Will Render at 600p

Goodness gracious the PC folk are getting agressive these days!

I guess threads like this are revenge for all the weekly "Is PC gaming dead?" threads that GAF had to put up with around when this current gen of consoles was launching.

I'm just a moderate COD fan (and I don't play it multi) so I'll probably wait for a Steam sale to pick it up cheap for the PC. However this is only if they don't gimp the PC version by removing the co-op splitscreen like with World at War. Someone needs to tell these devs that you can hookup PCs to TVs these days and stop removing splitscreen modes from PC versions. Being able to do the 42" TV and comfy couch with a PC doesn't do me any good if I can't play with another friend on the couch with me.

deepbrown

RoboPlato said:
How did they figure this out anyway? The 720p/60fps video of the multiplayer trailer isn't out yet and the other trailer was a noticeably older build. Besides, there are a ton of great looking games that don't run in HD (MGS4 is a big one) and MW2 will be 60fps anyway.
MW2 drops over 200,000 more pixels than mgs4. Think about the pixels! :lol

And it's counting pixels of in-dev footage. As said before, there's never been an upping of resolution for the full release.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I wonder how much more people will post the exact same reply to convince the two people in this thread that are genuinely pissed off because of the 600p.

Kibbles

Oh well, at least it doesn't have any aliasing, that's what I like about CoD4. Games like Halo 3 under 720p, combined with bad aliasing, so it could've been worse. Although after the backlash from the first game I'm surprised they would do this. WaW was 720p, was it not?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Haunted said:
Quoted for relevance.

If PC gamers are elitists, then standards have dropped. I'm not even sure why there's a beef.

Pein said:
lets be serious here, you'd need at least 5k

Yeah, you're going to need a 1200 watt power supply to run the unit.

Ceebs

Tom Penny said:
PC are too expensive. You could never get a PC for $399 that could run that game and look as good as the console versions !!!!
You are right...a $400 PC these days would make it look even better.

I can't tell if this post was sarcasm or not

KingFire

Banned
The average "hardcore" console gamer:
"Bah! I hate the Wii, it's not even HD"
*reads MW2 runs at 600p (almost SD!)*
"mmm who cares about HD?!!!"

I'll be playing this on my PC in 1080p at 60fps, hopefully IW will not fuck this up.

Come on guys let the PC dudes have their moment, they are still mourning over Rage being developed for consoles in mind more than PC's.

KingFire said:

I'll be playing this on my PC in 1080p at 60fps, hopefully IW will not fuck this up.
:lol

KingFire said:

god i hate when new jr's come along. it's the same bullshit from you guys

Nachkebia

Banned
OMG NOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

:spoiler I could not give a ugly rats ass what resolution it runs on, give me addictive game, thats all I need....

Mrbob

At least the game is running at 60fps. They could hit 720P if they bumped down the frame rate to 30. Many games have problems hitting 30FPS @ 720P on these consoles, which is the real shame.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Facism said:
You've also got to by a 360 controller, because mouse and keyboard just don't cut it for fast intense games like CoD.
Speaking of that. I really hope they support it this time.

Dra-Q

Banned
mysticstylez said:
Come on guys let the PC dudes have their moment, they are still mourning over Rage being developed for consoles in mind more than PC's.

and Crysis 2
and Mass Effect 2
and Dragon Age
and the Gears and War franchise
and and and...

Davidion

mysticstylez said:

Who wouldn't be disappointed about watering down a good game, really?

Ceebs

mysticstylez said:
All the "developed with consoles in mind" stuff just means I will not have to upgrade until they release new console hardware.

Chiggs

Gold Member
mysticstylez said:

Gosh, but in my copy of Game Informer it was mentioned that the game was being demo'd on a pc with a 360 controller. Hmm...wonder why they chose that version to show to the press.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Davidion said:
Who wouldn't be disappointed about watering down a good game, really?

it's okay to eat shit when it's the same shit everyone else is eating.

why it's such a rude and violent awakening when a member of the pc gentry saunters in sipping fine champagne.

Calcaneus

KingFire said:

My few problems with the Wii have very little to do with graphics, so yeah.

Pctx

Banned
mysticstylez said:
Yet plays the same across all platforms..... what's your point?

I think the fact that the higher resolutions on PC's are just one of the selling points of that version. Quite frankly with the mods and updates, I'm far more comfortable with the PC release than the PS3 or 360 version.

Dra-Q

Banned
belvedere said:
Wait a second...you really don't find this to be a good thing do you?

Of course it's fine. Why should developers waste their resources on the PC side, when they can make better games for the consoles or even handhelds. It's just a matter of time till PC ports of glorious console titles will be canceled, like the EA sports games this Year. No madden for you, sorry.

If a console game runs below HD ready resolution, it's the fault of the developer and not of the system. Look at Epic, Valve or now id with Rage - other leading console developers can to this impossible task.

goomba

Banned
Mrbob said:
Because the Wii does not have the horsepower to handle the complexity of the game.

resident-evil-4--20070922022855993-000.jpg

A majority of people who buy this game wont know, wont notice, and probably wont give a shit. Im sure Activision is really gonna care that some message board users wont buy their game.

dojokun

Banned
Chiggs said:

Gosh, but in my copy of Game Informer it was mentioned that the game was being demo'd on a pc with a 360 controller. Hmm...wonder why they chose that version to show to the press.
There's lots of reasons why a PC is easier to hook up to multimedia devices. Has nothing to do with the game itself.

goomba

Banned
Shining Sunshine said:
Are you saying a phone is better than the Wii? =O

Does it look better? No it looks terrible as its been cut back to very low spec hardware. You can scale any game to any hardware, its just a matter of the sort of cutbacks you need to make.. hence there's no reason for no Wii edition of MW2.

Chiggs said:

Of course it would be demo'd on a PC, its the easiest to develop for so the graphics engine is most likely the farthest along on PC.

What I was referring to is that the gameplay is being designed for console gamers first, hence the reason it was demo'd with a 360 controller.

Try again.

StuBurns

Banned
goomba said:
Does it look better? No it looks terrible as its been cut back to very low spec hardware. You can scale any game to any hardware, its just a matter of the sort of cutbacks you need to make.. hence there's no reason for no Wii edition of MW2.
This just is not accurate. You can't just 'turn-down' everything. The engine needs to be reworked and you'd need to redo pretty much every asset in the game.

The reason there isn't a Wii SKU is because they are already given a obscenely small time to produce three SKUs of a AAA game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Dra-Q said:
Of course it's fine. Why should developers waste their resources on the PC side, when they can make better games for the consoles or even handhelds. It's just a matter of time till PC ports of glorious console titles will be canceled, like the EA sports games this Year. No madden for you, sorry.

Dead man walking.

Could they have tweaked their old engine to a higher resolution while keeping the framerate? Probably. But their priorities are better spent creating the game that they want to make.

If you respect the developer, respect the way they use their resources. If they would rather focus their time and manpower on other areas of the game, then so be it.

After this thread closes expect a Halo 3 ODST thread because I'm willing to bet it's the exact same Halo 3 engine that runs @ 640p.

Don't know why this is such a big deal, there are shitloads of PS3 and 360 games that run in sub-HD or dynamically shift resolution. Unless you want to buy into another hardware generation or invest in a nice PC, get used to it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
mysticstylez said:
Of course it would be demo'd on a PC, its the easiest to develop for so the graphics engine is most likely the farthest along on PC.

What I was referring to is that the gameplay is being designed for console gamers first, hence the reason it was demo'd with a 360 controller.

Try again.

Okay.

"Gosh, guess I'll have to use my wireless 360 controller so I can play Rage at 1080p on my HTPC at 1080p with a generous amount of AA and AF. What's this? The game will probably be cheaper, too?"

Top Bottom