• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That list is a ship of dreams, taking us all to our restful sleep.

If even half that stuff came out in the first few years I'd be so happy.

The other half of course are the games promised by the western Developers. :lol

Instro

EatChildren said:
So, what E3 no-show games from our big ‘ol list of 3DS games do you guys expect to make an appearance?

*list*

Im guessing we will get a bunch of trailers from alot of the japanese devs, but the games will be far off. Im hoping Level 5 shows something of that Time Travelers game too.

Also heres hoping for a 2D Metroid and Castlvania.

i don't care about the launch drought, i specifically need a 3DS before i go home for christmas so that a) i can use it on the 15 hour flight and b) i can be like LOOK AT ME I HAVE A 3DS in front of the unwashed denizens of europe

totally worth it!

Bizzyb

Banned
Stage On said:
I hope it's going to come this year.

I mean seriously knowing it's coming soon who is going to spend money on ds instead of a 3ds now? I was thinking of getting a newer ds to replace my fat in august because the battery is nearly dead but it didn't make sense to spend the money on that when I could wait a little while longer and get the superior system I'd want anyhow.

I've got good news and bad news....

I think Nintendo is going to be happy with PSP/Wii levels of graphics while third parties are going to want to stand out.

Which is, quite honestly, a fantastic idea.

Most of the best looking games on the Wii were made by Nintendo. They knew the hardware inside and out and could produce good looking games for it that were usually of incredibly high quality. They hit that ceiling and the ceiling means that 3rd parties couldn't overcome it.

Now, Nintendo is releasing games that third parties can easily outdo. They can compete with Nintendo on their own systems by virtue of the fact that Nintendo is not making the prettiest games on it.

Stage On

Bizzyb said:
I've got good news and bad news....

Well at this point it could go either way still and we won't know for sure until Nintendo tells us.

I'm trying hard not to get too hyped up just in case.

ShockingAlberto said:
Now, Nintendo is releasing games that third parties can easily outdo. They can compete with Nintendo on their own systems by virtue of the fact that Nintendo is not making the prettiest games on it.

That's never happened, and I don't expect it to. When Resident Evil is finally playable is will look comparable to Kid Icarus.

My big hope for third parties is that they actually show up with original games. It could be a problem if they just see 3D + Portable and think that's enough to resell their same ol' console games like MGS3 or Street Fighter 4. I don't want to see 3D Ports become the new Waggle Ports.

edit: and same goes for Nintendo with OoT, StarFox, and whatever else. Bring on stuff like Steel Diver.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I just hope its not too much of a port machine. I'm happy Resident Evil is a new game, not so much that Metal Gear Solid is a re-worked release of 3. Same goes for Ocarina of Time. They'll be great time killers especially during the launch period, but I dont want to see third party 'big franchise' support boiling down to ports.

GCX

ShockingAlberto said:
I think Nintendo is going to be happy with PSP/Wii levels of graphics while third parties are going to want to stand out.

Most of the best looking games on the Wii were made by Nintendo. They knew the hardware inside and out and could produce good looking games for it that were usually of incredibly high quality. They hit that ceiling and the ceiling means that 3rd parties couldn't overcome it.

I'm sure EAD will produce some games that push the system to its limits. Nintendo knows all the tricks 3DS has to offer because they have developed the entire system. That's why they have the upper hand compared to many 3rd parties, like with every console they've released.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am expecting Nintendo to show more of its Original titles at the coming show. They don't like showing their hand to soon, and most likely at E3 they weren't sure which games would be done at launch, so they showed off the obvious stuff.

antonz

GCX said:
I'm sure EAD will produce some games that push the system to its limits. Nintendo knows all the tricks 3DS has to offer because they have developed the entire system. That's why they have the upper hand compared to many 3rd parties, like with every console they've released.

Nintendo will without a doubt eventually tap the full power of the system but initially Capcom will win the power usage war. They have the HD engine already set for use on the 3DS etc.

Nintendo is going to have to develop a new engine instead of using rehashed old ones

Gravijah

EatChildren said:
I just hope its not too much of a port machine. I'm happy Resident Evil is a new game, not so much that Metal Gear Solid is a re-worked release of 3. Same goes for Ocarina of Time. They'll be great time killers especially during the launch period, but I dont want to see third party 'big franchise' support boiling down to ports.

Eh, it's near launch. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Gravijah said:
Eh, it's near launch. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If Wii taught us anything, it's that the level of third-party support at launch could very well set the stage for the entire generation.

antonz

Freezie KO said:
If Wii taught us anything, it's that the level of third-party support at launch could very well set the stage for the entire generation.

The DS is practically the most successful video game device ever. the 3DS is its successor. the 3DS is literally the PS2 of the Handheld Generation. Support is guaranteed. Launch plans are already 100 times better than DS launch plans

GCX

Freezie KO said:
Ports are pretty normal for a system launch though. It's almost impossible to get big new AAA games ready for launch so ports are an easy way to fill the gaps. That's why StarFox and OOT exist on 3DS.

Freezie KO said:
That's never happened, and I don't expect it to. When Resident Evil is finally playable is will look comparable to Kid Icarus.
MGS3 alone looks better than Kid Icarus.

Hell, the original MGS3 looks way better than Kid Icarus.

Freezie KO said:

My big hope for third parties is that they actually show up with original games. It could be a problem if they just see 3D + Portable and think that's enough to resell their same ol' console games like MGS3 or Street Fighter 4. I don't want to see 3D Ports become the new Waggle Ports.

edit: and same goes for Nintendo with OoT, StarFox, and whatever else. Bring on stuff like Steel Diver.
...a 3D port of a 2D DS tech demo Nintendo never considered good enough to actually release?

So darn excited! No bars though:^/
Q4UwO.jpg

Dreamwriter said:
...a 3D port of a 2D DS tech demo Nintendo never considered good enough to actually release?

Nintendo's always experimenting with new gameplay or game concepts. When they release it is up to them. Either way, it's a new game that plays completely new.

3D means nothing. Steel Diver is a 2D game played on a 2D plane. Always was.

ShockingAlberto said:

Will Nintendo be content with that though? It's not like Nintendo hasn't gone head to head with the best of 3rd parties, umm, with the SNES and NES (yeah, closest examples I could think of that weren't single games), nor have they as you mentioned avoided great looking games before. I could see Nintendo sticking with cartoony graphics, though much better than what we've been seeing after a year or so, while 3rd parties flee from cartoony graphics as they have like they're a cross shaped stake made out of garlic. Which I agree would be great, I really can't wait for a single system that combines great Nintendo games with great 3rd party games (yes I'm a 1 non-PC console and handheld cheapo these days).

Then again I could just be arguing semantics by changing or slightly modifying some of your terms.

Freezie KO said:
Nintendo's always experimenting with new gameplay or game concepts. When they release it is up to them. Either way, it's a new game that plays completely new.

3D means nothing. Steel Diver is a 2D game played on a 2D plane. Always was.
But your rant was about porting old 2D games to 3D, which is exactly what this is - heck, it's a port of a tech demo shown off before the DS's release 6 years ago, so it's not even taking advantage of the 3DS' graphical abilities, unlike games like Street Fighter IV. I'm not saying it's bad - I enjoyed playing the demo at E3, and the 3D effect was cool. But it's exactly the thing you were complaining about.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Will Nintendo be content with that though?
They've been very content making subpar graphics for their Pokemon games - it's not even about them being "cartoony", when the first GBA Pokemon games came out, they looked like GBC games with a few more colors, while Golden Sun looked amazing yet still cartoony. Nintendo didn't care.

szaromir

Banned
Freezie KO said:
DS had pretty poor piss launch line-up, yet it picked up steam from thirdparites as time went on. Why 3DS would be different?

oh my god is that Iwata posting from the past to back up my point?!

http://www.ripten.com/2010/06/22/ni...opment-costs-3d-console-consideration-lbd416/

I think it’s ok to see a broad range in development costs from title to title. I believe it’s possible for developers who have great ideas to be able to find ways to develop those ideas at a relatively low cost and make the resulting game a hit due essentially to the quality of the ideas.

On the other hand, I believe there will be developers who will use a similar amount of resources to create games as if developing for a home console, and such games also would result in satisfaction to our consumers.

I see the possibility for a broad range of software development costs to increase the possibility of satisfying Nintendo 3DS owners and really appeal to a very broad audience. That would be the ideal situation for Nintendo 3DS. We intend to exemplify this with our first-party titles.

THANKS, IWATA

Dreamwriter said:
But your rant was about porting old 2D games to 3D, which is exactly what this is - heck, it's a port of a tech demo shown off before the DS's release 6 years ago, so it's not even taking advantage of the 3DS' graphical abilities, unlike games like Street Fighter IV. I'm not saying it's bad - I enjoyed playing the demo at E3, and the 3D effect was cool. But it's exactly the thing you were complaining about.

Five sentences with an edited-in sixth sentence is a rant now? Man, I haven't been keeping up with forum decorum.

Anyway, 128 Marios was a tech demo at one point. It later became a basis for both Pikmin and Galaxy. A lot of things are tech demos before they're fleshed out to full games.

Sure, Nintendo showed a submarine game at the launch of the DS. It's one of the rare times that we got to see behind the curtain. Regardless, we never got the game, and we don't know how much it was ever fleshed out. It can't be a port if we never got it. It's just the game.

Graphics aside, there's really not much of a substantive difference between the DS and the 3DS, so I'm glad we're getting an original IP, developed in-house, with brand-new gameplay ideas. I'm sorry if you can't see how that's different from a port of Street Fighter 4. Not even close to "exactly the thing was complaining about."

Now that's a rant. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Meh, I think Nintendo's showing of 3DS games look pretty great so far. Nintendogs + Cats looks gorgeous with its fur shader, and in general leaps and bounds over the DS version, Kid Icarus looks fantastic on the technical front in my opinion, Star Fox looked good, and pretty much everything else looked exactly as expected. Pilot Wings looked like a downscaled version of Wii Sports resort, nice and clean, and I didnt even think Mario Kart looked all that bad (though my standards are low after the ugly Wii character models).

Maybe they looked worse at E3, but most of what we've seen looks fine. Typical Nintendo, with a mix of art styles, and different styles of games for the system (see: Steel Diver). Nintendo wont just be pushing super realistic high detailed games like what we've seen of Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil. We're still going to get stuff like Pilot Wings, using the very clean art style of the Wii Sports games.

Dreamwriter said:
They've been very content making subpar graphics for their Pokemon games - it's not even about them being "cartoony", when the first GBA Pokemon games came out, they looked like GBC games with a few more colors, while Golden Sun looked amazing yet still cartoony. Nintendo didn't care.
Well yeah, not all (or most) Nintendo games are system maxing affairs.

ShockingAlberto said:
oh my god is that Iwata posting from the past to back up my point?!

http://www.ripten.com/2010/06/22/ni...opment-costs-3d-console-consideration-lbd416/

THANKS, IWATA
Sounds like he's saying Nintendo intends to lead with a wide range from high end show pieces for uebergamers to lower end affairs for others, and everything in between. Well, certainly seems like I was off anyways. Though I would definitely agree Nintendo will be outclassed in showpiece games for a year or 2.

Soneet said:
It's not often I see you fail at reading comprehension. It's nice to know you too, are just a human. "We intend to exemplify this with our first-party titles." means they'll do the full range themselves, from Brain Training to Mario Galaxy.
I'm not saying they will only do low-budget titles.

I am saying they built the system with third parties doing the high budget stuff in mind.

Of course they'll still do the big stuff, but it won't be common. Meanwhile, on the Wii, the system was so limited that Nintendo did the best and the best third parties could do is as good as Nintendo.

GCX

ShockingAlberto said:
Of course they'll still do the big stuff, but it won't be common.
So they'll continue to operate just like they've been doing for the past 20 years, aka release one or two big-budget AAA games per year?

GCX said:
So they'll continue to operate just like they've been doing for the past 20 years, aka release one or two big-budget AAA games per year.
Right

But at the moment, they have games they have revealed, and they look graphically below the par that third parties are setting. That is new and different on Nintendo systems.

In other words, it is a fantastic idea because third parties can build up a base as being the graphical powerhouses on the system. They previously could not.

The closest was Rogue Squadron on the Gamecube, but that was a game where the developers basically worked side-by-side with Nintendo and then no one followed up until Melee had already established Nintendo dominance on the console.

Log4Girlz

Well the n64 and gamecube were a bit strange architecturally from what I've read. The 3DS seems like the most convential hardware they've ever made, with modern shaders and whatnot. So in a sense 3rd parties have a leg up on experience.

seady

GCX said:
Ports are pretty normal for a system launch though. It's almost impossible to get big new AAA games ready for launch so ports are an easy way to fill the gaps. That's why StarFox and OOT exist on 3DS.

I miss those days when system had amazing launch titles that define the system and are still remember many years later. Super Mario 64, Halo, Super Mario World etc.

Wii Sports is a good example too but in a slightly different way.

ShinNL

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm not saying they will only do low-budget titles.

I am saying they built the system with third parties doing the high budget stuff in mind.

Of course they'll still do the big stuff, but it won't be common. Meanwhile, on the Wii, the system was so limited that Nintendo did the best and the best third parties could do is as good as Nintendo.
No, they're saying everyone can do all budget-sized projects, both third-parties and themselves. Really, nothing is changed here when it comes to Nintendo's own software. Also, you're being inconsistent with your previous posts.

"They can compete with Nintendo on their own systems by virtue of the fact that Nintendo is not making the prettiest games on it."

Saying this is like assuming Wii Sports is all we had for the Wii. You're taking (wrong) conclusions just from Sakurai's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom