• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

Been working on taking pictures of the Secret Exits.

World 1 (imgur was giving me problems)
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=7dua8.jpg http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=slu8m.jpg http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=vnuoz.jpg

World 2:
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/XLXVg

World 3
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/JLGrk

World 4
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/L4yUX

World 5
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/XfSEt

World 6
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/kRf7J

There is 1 exit in each world that takes you to 2 secret levels. Beat the first secret level and automatically be taken to the next.

Pre-loaded this last night. Can't wait to get home and start blasting some robots tonight. Just listening to the soundtrack today is getting me super pumped. Thanks to the folks here who points out that it's available on Spotify.

nikos

This game is godlike. Reminds me of Super Stardust, which is one of my favorite series. This is what I was hoping Alienation would be. Online co-op would have been amazing, but it's still incredibly fun alone. I'll have to have a friend over.

Now I have to decide whether I should continue playing on PC or PS4. 4Kish res/HDR/larger screen/trophies vs 144Hz montior. I think I'm swaying towards PS4, especially for the trophies.

This game is godlike. Reminds me of Super Stardust, which is one of my favorite series. This is what I was hoping Alienation would be. Online co-op would have been amazing, but it's still incredibly fun alone. I'll have to have a friend over.

Now I have to decide whether I should continue playing on PC or PS4. 4Kish res/HDR/larger screen/trophies vs 144Hz montior. I think I'm swaying towards PS4, especially for the trophies.
I have a 4k tv and 1440/165 monitor hooked up to my PC. I will always go higher refresh for more responsive controls.

zoodoo

Holy shit!!

Amazing game. I played a bit this morning before going to work and beat the first 2 bosses. How do I destroy the yellow boxes?

I am going to finish the game on experienced first then straight to the highest difficulty.

drotahorror

Been working on taking pictures of the Secret Exits.

So far, I have World 2, 3 and 4

World 2:
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/XLXVg

World 3
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/JLGrk

World 4
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/L4yUX

There is 1 exit in each world that takes you to 2 secret levels. Beat the first secret level and automatically be taken to the next.

Nice. I see the person on the top of the leaderboards has 6 secret exits for the first world. I just spent a good amount of time shooting everything in every level but only found 1.

Is there some other criteria for beating the secret level? I beat it I guess but it just put me back on the track to the next normal level.

And I just now looked at your pictures and realized that the secret exits are terminals.

Se_7_eN

Housemarque is such an incredible studio... I don't think there is a single game of theirs I haven't enjoyed, and usually I wouldn't even consider buying the style of games they create.

drotahorror

So found all the secrets in world 1 and secret humans. I'm still missing 1 beacon though. I wish I could watch the PS4 guy on the leaderboard.

Theblacksnakes has got to be a dev or something. I don't see how they could find all the secrets and stuff w/o some trial and error, and they hardly have any deaths.

Ashtar

So I played a bit this morning prior to work
Played on easy, had a lot of fun
Do you have to beat it all in one sitting ?

drotahorror

No achievements on PC? what? Resogun was the first game I ever platinum'd, was really hoping there would be achievements for PC. It actually never crossed my mind that there wouldn't be. There's even trading cards.

*MMk, now I have achievements for some reason, after restarting steam.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Playing this on a good gaming PC on a 4K OLED is pretty damn sexy. Blowing shit up into tiny little voxels never gets old. I love that Housemarque style.

low-G

Huge fan of Robotron 2084 & twin stick shooters generally (but only if they're great).

I'm in love with this game already.

There's different styles of dual stick shooters, and for competitive scoring I can see this is memorization / plan based, in a good way. Although it's going to be hard for me to keep a whole run in my head while also performing and not dying.

Very very cool game. Love that PC has crossplatform leaderboards with PS4 and PC version has replays so there is no doubt about cheating. Excellent implementation.

Again, wow, really in love.

Also, I think they took the best bits out of Resogun for this game. So great.

Holy shit!!

Amazing game. I played a bit this morning before going to work and beat the first 2 bosses. How do I destroy the yellow boxes?

I am going to finish the game on experienced first then straight to the highest difficulty.

Use a power up/skill on it.

Vertti

Doesn't seem to support direct input which means no local co-op with my wii u pro controller adapter. Any workarounds?

GPU usage is really high in 4k and frame rate drops under 60. Dissapointing. I have 980 Ti.

The game itself seems pretty cool fortunately.

EDIT. At least 1440p is rock solid 60 fps and doesn't look that much worse.

Miker

I'm getting 1440p60 on a GTX 1060 but can't push it any farther and keep 60 fps. That said it's got some sort of post-process anti-aliasing that makes it blurry regardless, so I can't actually tell much of a difference between 1440p and 4K.

drotahorror

Doesn't seem to support direct input which means no local co-op with my wii u pro controller adapter. Any workarounds?

GPU usage is really high in 4k and frame rate drops under 60. Dissapointing. I have 980 Ti.

Did you try pressing Tab on the control screen? It picks up my DS4.

Pretty dumb you have to press tab at the keyboard screen to change inputs. I figured it would automatically pick up a controller.

Q8D3vil

Game is ugly and blurry as fuck on pc, im going to refund it.
I'll see the ps4 hdr version in my friend house in 2 days, might buy it on that if it looks good.

Something happened with the speaker in my DS4 while playing this. There was a sudden loud noise and now the volume is much lower and there is a bit of crackling.

It isn't the same playing without the voice coming from the controller.
Sounds like you blew out the speaker in the controller.

Wozman23

In the beta I favored the rocket launcher and didn't really familiarize myself with the weapons, but I'm really enjoying the detonator, powershot, and laser more. The detonator might be the most fun since there's that extra layer of secondary trigger timing to play with.

My only complaint thus far - aside from the fact that the game is tough as nails - is that I wish there would have been a way to cycle through the weapons you pick up instead of only being able to have one. I've been trolled by the seeming useless Sword a few times.

I also like that the smart bomb is basically a nod to what's to come with Matterfall with its blue effects and "Smart" moniker.

Vertti

Did you try pressing Tab on the control screen? It picks up my DS4.

Pretty dumb you have to press tab at the keyboard screen to change inputs. I figured it would automatically pick up a controller.

Xinput works fine but mayflash adapter supports only one controller with it. Dinput supports up to 4 controllers but doesn't work with this game.

Should be easy update but maybe someone knows an even easier workaround.

scitek

Game starts off strong with the first stage, then the second stage is terrible. Super restricted areas ruin the fun.

EDIT. At least 1440p is rock solid 60 fps and doesn't look that much worse.

Why not use a custom res like 1800p if you are dropping at 4k.

Ozium

played through on arcade on rookie to unlock the individual stages and this game is fucking incredible... you can really feel the eugene jarvis influence.

I'll see the ps4 hdr version in my friend house in 2 days, might buy it on that if it looks good.

I see a bunch of complaints on the Steam forum saying the game is blurry. Can people who own this on Steam comment on that?

emalord

One question for anyone thinking the Topic deserves: the director of NexMachina is the same director of Resogun which is not the director of Alienation
Do you agree with Housemarque publishing under a "collective name" or the single director should deserve more praise?

(Western companies in general have the same approach, not many Michel Ancel around the world, Japanese are more willing to reveal directors' or producers' names but still I'd like to know your opinion)

Miker

I see a bunch of complaints on the Steam forum saying the game is blurry. Can people who own this on Steam comment on that?

It's definitely blurry. An older Digital Foundry piece on it says that it's due to their temporal AA solution, which I guess is overly aggressive with blur. Not sure how it looks on PS4, but I imagine it'd look similar.

Q8D3vil

I have acer predator 1440p ips gsync monitor and the game looks washed up and blurry. Texture and models are fucking ugly as well.
Pc version must busted since everyone here seems to love ps4 version.
Anyway, i was willing to wait for then to patch hdr on pc, but it seems that it is unlikely to happen based on their steam comments.

It's definitely blurry. An older Digital Foundry piece on it says that it's due to their temporal AA solution, which I guess is overly aggressive with blur. Not sure how it looks on PS4, but I imagine it'd look similar.

I have acer predator 1440p ips gsync monitor and the game looks washed up and blurry. Texture and models are fucking ugly as well.
Pc version must busted since everyone here seems to love ps4 version.
Anyway, i was willing to wait for then to patch hdr on pc, but it seems that it is unlikely to happen based on their steam comments.

Damn, sucks to hear. :( I have the ROG Swift 1440p/TN/144 hz gsync, so I imagine it will look similar to your Predator.

Could you let us know how the ps4 version is when you check it out?

shmoglish

"Ok I am going to play one or two matches in Nex and then finish Gears 2/start with Gears3"

Yeah... things that dont work:plans like this and me tomorrow.

I know this means nothing right now and everyone here is maybe in the top 10 on the higher difficulties already, but place 125 in experienced feels so good. And god, rushing through the levels and discover new secrets feels amazing.

I may not be good in games like this but I have to say, Housemarque always delivers. Thank you.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The mouse support is awful in case anyone was wondering. No reticule and the directional indicator is at the player which makes it feel like a very inefficient analog stick

Top Bottom