• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

MaLDo

The game has a mild framepacing issue on pc. It can be completely fixed using a 60 fps limit with RTSS. This way is silky smooth.

About the blurriness, I really doubt that the ps4 version is sharper. I think is a temporal AA doing his work, but can be alliviated with downsampling and lumasharpen filter (I've used SweetFX for that). Comparisson:

1080p
01o0uyf.jpg

1620p
028lu86.jpg

2160p
03v6ug7.jpg

2160p + Lumasharpen
04zpu1f.jpg

Gif 1080p vs 2160p + Lumasharpen

05cxu0l.gif

Smokey

The game has a mild framepacing issue on pc. It can be completely fixed using a 60 fps limit with RTSS. This way is silky smooth.

About the blurriness, I really doubt that the ps4 version is sharper. I think is a temporal AA doing his work, but can be alliviated with downsampling and lumasharpen filter (I've used SweetFX for that). Comparisson:

1080p
01o0uyf.jpg

1620p
028lu86.jpg

2160p
03v6ug7.jpg

2160p + Lumasharpen
04zpu1f.jpg

Gif 1080p vs 2160p + Lumasharpen

05cxu0l.gif

So it's uncapped as the devs said, but is essentially "built" to run at 60? Getting worried about these blur complaints on PC.

drotahorror

I hope they fix alt tabbing and borderless window on PC, pretty damn quick.

Alt tabbing out of Fullscreen does this-
Puts into windowed mode.
Have to press the minimize button to look at another tab.
You then have to go to options, turn it to window mode, apply, then back to fullscreen, apply.

borderless window does this

Notice the weird thing on the right side, and the bottom of the tabs in windows 10 on the lower part of the screen. Not to mention it's chopping up the left side of side of the screen.

Stevey

I've been playing it at 144hz and not noticed any framepacing issues, and I'm normally pretty sensitive to stuff like that.
I also sit 2 foot away from my 24" 1080p monitor and it doesn't look blurry to me.
It's too fast paced to notice in motion, but it does look blurry in those static screens.

MaLDo

The low res textures collaborate making the game more blurry yet.

066fuca.jpg

My opinion: the game is amazing and I can not stop playing.

Really liked it, cleared rookie arcade mode on Pro and was silky smooth and looked nice HDR enabled. Compared myself to other players and oh boy... Hard game.

Good lord is this the hardest Housemarque game to date? The jump in difficulty between this and Alienation is quite drastic, it is quite harder than Resogun too.

I can not stop playing this game. I am in work right now, and I am thinking about playing this game. I want to go home and play this game!

Well done Housemarque, can't wait for Materfall.

danowat

Banned
Good lord is this the hardest Housemarque game to date? The jump in difficulty between this and Alienation is quite drastic, it is quite harder than Resogun too.
It's proper bullet hell at times, i find the level layout a bit restrictive though.

Looks absolutely sublime on ps pro in hdr and 4k.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How do the ranks work? Do they update only with earned medals, while the currency is gained no matter what?

This game seems crazy hard since there is so much going on and trying to remember to trigger all the secrets before killing the final enemy is tough.

Shinjiru

Well this game is awesome. It's basically Resogun on foot with different stages.

I didn't look, but I hope it has an endless mode. Or maybe as DLC as Survivor is the best part of Resogun.

Survival Mode is my favorite part of Resogun, too. I hope there is something similar in Nex Machina.

I've had a pretty bad experience with this so far; blurry graphics and it slowed my PC to a crawl when I exit it. It's a shame since the game itself is fun, but my PC doesn't seem to like this game. I was told my rig would run it fine too, but I'm not so sure on that now.

GTX 1050 Ti
i5-3570k
8 GB RAM

MadMod

I'm guessing they'll add online coop. But for now it's great, I'm really enjoying it. A big Resogun vibe to it, which is also great as I got a plat for it.

epmode

Quick question: does this play better with mouse + keyboard or controller (xbox)?

I can't imagine that it would be better with a mouse. Pinpoint accuracy isn't really required.

No online co-op is a huge bummer

I'm not sure how such an intense game would even be enjoyable in co-op. There's already so much going on in single player that co-op must be unreadable.

(but yeah, it would be nice to have the option for online co-op)

Ravelle

Yeah, this isn't the type of game I should be playing right before bed.

Need to be well rested to play this because it was an overload for the eyes.

Gustavoh

Neo Member
Just got the game and finished a rookie-level run. Game is awesome and beautiful to look at -- even though it is a little blurry, which can indeed be mitigated by Reshade/SweetFX.

It is also harder than Resogun. As others have mentioned, it does get pretty crazy right from outset.

Maxed out at 4K DSR, I did get a few drops below 60 fps on my 6700k@4.5 and GTX 1070 rig, mostly during the level changes but also a couple during gameplay in the latter worlds.

Just 1cc'ed Experienced.

This game is no joke! Relentless.

Died on the 5th world of Veteran. Need a break for food then back at it!

There's so much to memorize: secret exits, secret humans, enemy patterns, hidden extra lives. Insane!

Smokey

PC here:

Got home and completed the first stage. I'm happy to say I didn't really notice too much blurriness, game looks awesome. I'm playing at 1440p with a 1080ti, and I avg'd 191 fps lol. Will cap at 142 to get max out of Gsync. Plays great with a Xbox One controller.

Few things -- How do you take advantage of the power ups, like the triple jump? Secondary weapon is right bumper, but I'm collecting additional stuff during play and don't know how to use it?

e: PC Nvidia players -- Make sure you're using the latest driver, which is Game Ready for NM 382.53.

hawk2025

Not as good as super stardust in my view. It's an OK game.

The pacing alone makes it better than SSD in my view.

There's zero downtime in starting a new game, because it already starts on fire. Not so with SSD.

Curious on what the resolution is on the Ps4 Pro. It doesn't quite look native 4K, but pretty close?

epmode

The pacing alone makes it better than SSD in my view.

There's zero downtime in starting a new game, because it already starts on fire.

Yep. This is my biggest problem with modern arcadey games. They take too goddamned long to ramp up. I often wind up closing the game rather than starting a new game as soon as I die. Super Stardust is guilty of this for sure.

Gitaroo

That last boss is some proper bullshit without upgrades.

Yup, on top of the retarded camera zoom to the boss with remaining enermies running around is some real bullshit. Your standard shot can't even reach the boss if you try to distar yourself. I just want to play a twin sticks shooter and have some fun man, no interest in score chasing or leaderboard. Resogun was great fun and challenging but since Alienation I think I am running out of patient with Housemarque games, Dead Nation is still my favorite.

Check out the graphics options if you haven't, some really dumb filters in there. I'm curious if the Grayscale is a rib on Hatred, seems like it

Honestly my biggest complaint about Nex Machina is that enemies blend into the background sometimes and that is the fucking worst. Was hoping screen options would allow for more higher contrast stuff but it's basically joke stuff

Going to stream for a bit. Might do Experienced 1cc or Veteran (trying to unlock Master).

Www.twitch.tv/espanajefff

You can enable or disable cross platform leaderboards. If you ever saw a symbol of a computer next to the date in the rankings, that means they got that score on Steam.

zkuh5.jpg

There's a little bar underneath the 5 powerups. That bar fills up when you kill enemies. When it's full, you'll gain a powerup or multiplier (if you've already gained all the powerups). If you get hit, you'll drop one of these powerups. Dunno if it's random or the last one you received.

Starting from the left, these are the powerups:

Weapon Range
Triple Dash
Shield
Dash Explosion
Weapon Spread

Weapon Range let's your bullets fly farther.

Triple Dash let's you boost 3 times. Since boosting replenishes so quickly, there's no reason you should be holding back. It gets you our of hoards and enemy bullet patterns.

Shield let's you take 1 extra hit.

Dash Explosion. When you dash, a small explosion happens when you stop.

Weapon spread makes you have a 3 way shot.

Going back to the above picture, the big, circular powerup can be 1 of the following:

Detonator
Laser
PowerShot
Rocket Launcher
Smartbomb
Sword

Personally (and from watching others stream) Smartbomb is the way to go. Press the trigger and a small radius of enemies die. Really helpful to get out of right situations.

The 2nd helpful one is the Rocket Launcher. Makes bosses much easier to deal with.

Before every boss battle, there's a powerup box in case you want to switch it up. You just have to wait till the powerup you want shows up. It goes in rotation. I'll use a smartbomb throughout the level them switch to the rocket.

The other ones aren't great, imo but maybe they'll be handy in certain situations. The Powershot has you charge up your gun and take out enemies in a straight line. The Laser makes you move slowww but kills quick.

Q8D3vil

PC here:

Got home and completed the first stage. I'm happy to say I didn't really notice too much blurriness, game looks awesome. I'm playing at 1440p with a 1080ti, and I avg'd 191 fps lol. Will cap at 142 to get max out of Gsync. Plays great with a Xbox One controller.

Few things -- How do you take advantage of the power ups, like the triple jump? Secondary weapon is right bumper, but I'm collecting additional stuff during play and don't know how to use it?

e: PC Nvidia players -- Make sure you're using the latest driver, which is Game Ready for NM 382.53.

Are you using Sweetfx ?
Thanks for the drivers, didnt know they released new one for this game.

MrS

Banned
Finally beat the final boss on Experienced with like 8 credits left. Rocket Launcher but no power ups. Bullet hell indeed. What a thrill!

JJShadow

Bought this today and holy fuck, this game is really amazing, such an overload of color, explosions and music for my senses. Loving it so far but I'm so bad at it, I'm having trouble to finish a run without running out of lives in Rookie mode lol

Top Bottom