• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

low-G

The
last boss
... What's wrong with these people ?
I can't even see my character.

I agree with this. A bit too much IMO.

Also, trying to control the chaos of this game to get a high score is really stressful. Not only do you have to have really fast reflexes, there's no panic button (bombs) like in practically every other game of this type including all those other Housemarque games. Imagine a bullet hell without a bomb... You also have to memorize all the hidden locations, and even spotting the locations when you know where they are generally is difficult in all this action. At least there's a shield power up, because ditching runs because of a single slight mistake in a bullet hell like this would be truly brutal.

Anyways, again really appreciating the cross platform leaderboards. Hoping to hold on to top 100 in the long run, already lost my top 50 placement.

hawk2025

This.

Game.

Easy arcade-style game of the year, but has it already jumped to the top 5 all around this year?

Yes, yes it has.

jmaine_ph

Man this game is freaking amazing. Didn't realize it was only 5 worlds but even playing at the second difficulty (I believe is Experienced" is kicking my ass. On to world 4 starting tomorrow. Gotta leave the game open or I'll have to start all over.

Tain

I'm running into a pretty awful bug on PC where the game accidentally displays terrain where there isn't supposed to be any (and vice versa). Like, I'll start Arcade mode and that little runway your guy starts on disappears almost immediately and I see lots of textureless gray terrain below. Once the level starts, the first enemies clip right through a big wall to get to me. I can walk right through it as well.

It seems that deleting my save file corrects it but it occasionally comes back.

edit: I suspect it happened because it didn't like something in my save file from the beta. It took some doing but I completely wiped my save file from Steam Cloud and restarted from scratch. The glitch hasn't happened since.

I'm running into this having never played the beta. Bummer.

So looking at some gameplay videos this is more like Resogun and is nothing like Alienation? I liked Resogun but I think I had a lot more fun with Alienation. May have been the loot hunter in me but I loved it. Any idea if they are working on something similar but maybe expanded and more in depth?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just finished the 5 world's for the first time on rookie, didn't have any issues with the last boss, in fact I didn't even die once, however, I expect the next difficulty level will be a different story.

What I like about Nex Machina is it doesn't have the slow ramp up of Resogun, always made restarting from the beginning kind of miserable when you want to jump right back into the craziness

Nex Machina starts fast right off the bat and only gets crazier

The biggest improvement over Resogun, period.

Making a mistake during Resogun's slow stage 1 buildup just makes you want to stop playing.

So looking at some gameplay videos this is more like Resogun and is nothing like Alienation? I liked Resogun but I think I had a lot more fun with Alienation. May have been the loot hunter in me but I loved it. Any idea if they are working on something similar but maybe expanded and more in depth?

It is basically Resogun on foot.

Rayderism

I am a weekend gamer due to work, but I just had to give it a quick run tonight. Played a few levels without sound and it seems pretty fun and the graphics are rockin'. Always enjoyed the Robotron style shooters. Definitely going to put in some quality time on this one this weekend.

Stevey

How do you earn the coins/medals you need to unlock stuff?
Been playing Arcade mode and don't have any yet.

How do you earn the coins/medals you need to unlock stuff?
Been playing Arcade mode and don't have any yet.

Not sure but I think it's a separate mode where it challenges you to score a certain amount of points to earn coins. Forgot what the mode is called.

----------

Might have to agree with the people saying it's better than Resogun. And Resogun was already great.

Matterfall probably going to deliver too.

AwShucks

I thought beating the game with no continues unlocked something? Or is that not on rookie difficulty? I did die a few times but never used a continue.

At the game over screen world 6 boss, experienced difficulty, about 60 credits left. Set the controller down for a second to rest my eyes, suddenly I'm back at the menu screen because apparently my allotted time to decide to keep playing is 3 seconds. Stupid as hell.

Boss is freaking hard, I'll get it next time. I gotta say I wish it were a bit more imaginative than "spam as much shit at you as possible" but whatever.

What am I missing?

I just cannot get more than 2.5mil in the first level of arena mode.
You're likely not chaining anything correctly. Multiplier (obviously) and especially Human combo are quite important: there's a bar to the top-right of the screen and a colored circle around the humans themselves indicating how much time you have left before the chain expires, so ideally you want to space them out as you're collecting them whilst fending off enemies. The last enemy of a floor / room will be indicated by a purple glow. Finding the secrets in the middle of doing the aforementioned is also a big boost in score.

You're likely not chaining anything correctly. Multiplier (obviously) and especially Human combo are quite important: there's a bar to the top-right of the screen and a colored circle around the humans themselves indicating how much time you have left before the chain expires, so ideally you want to space them out as you're collecting them whilst fending off enemies. The last one of a floor / room will be indicated by a purple glow. Finding the secrets in the middle of doing the aforementioned is also a big boost in score.

Yup, score multiplier, human combo, all secrets :D lot's to do and keep track of which makes replaying the same levels quite intense and hard to master for sure.

Love playing the 4 minute challenges, just got into the top 10 of the first level this morning...

danowat

Banned
You're likely not chaining anything correctly. Multiplier (obviously) and especially Human combo are quite important: there's a bar to the top-right of the screen and a colored circle around the humans themselves indicating how much time you have left before the chain expires, so ideally you want to space them out as you're collecting them whilst fending off enemies. The last enemy of a floor / room will be indicated by a purple glow. Finding the secrets in the middle of doing the aforementioned is also a big boost in score.

Thanks, man there is a lot going on at any one time!

What difficulty are arena levels at?.

danowat

Banned
Sure as hell is not rookie :)

This game is a fucking masterpiece, holy shit!! And hard as fuck!

Yeah, it's really good, I wish the player character 'popped' from the backgrounds a little more, so many cheap deaths from voxel confusion!

I played through the game on rookie just to unlock the levels, like the way each level chucks new challenges at you, although the boss battles are a little uninspired and samey, need to get through it on advanced now.

Yeah, it's really good, I wish the player character 'popped' from the backgrounds a little more, so many cheap deaths from voxel confusion!

I played through the game on rookie just to unlock the levels, like the way each level chucks new challenges at you, although the boss battles are a little uninspired and samey, need to get through it on advanced now.

Haven't played an arcade game this addictive in quite a while. My eyes were bleeding last night, I mean the amount of attention this game requires from the player is off the roof.

The old school design really suits it as well. I love the guys at Housemarque.

Anyway, I need practice for those harder difficulties, I feel they're gonna kick my ass.

olitheoblong

Neo Member
Loving this game. I found it best to keep playing same world, on world select over and over I can get to world 4 without losing more than one life now.

WillySJ3

Banned
At the game over screen world 6 boss, experienced difficulty, about 60 credits left. Set the controller down for a second to rest my eyes, suddenly I'm back at the menu screen because apparently my allotted time to decide to keep playing is 3 seconds. Stupid as hell.

Boss is freaking hard, I'll get it next time. I gotta say I wish it were a bit more imaginative than "spam as much shit at you as possible" but whatever.

Actually, it's 10 seconds for you to decide. Next time is better to pause the game. But yes, the boss is hard as hell, I still can't beat that shit.

EdLin

Neo Member
Great game. For those who are playing with a Steam controller, don't use the "recommended" settings, use the community template that has a lot less of a dead-zone. The dead-zone in the recommended profile makes it nearly unplayable if you use it.

meppi

Had a bit of a rough time getting into the game. Might have just been a case of being too tired when the game unlocked.

Then I spend all of last night playing it after it suddenly clicked.
This might be their best game yet. Absolutely brilliant.

JJShadow

Playing this right after waking up is definitely not a good idea lol

Also, just realized the game have unlockables to change your weapon beam color and even your character skin :O

Just did a run through arcade and loved it.

I say "a run through", I actually got to the final(I think?) boss and brought up the Steam overlay to do some chatting after a death, and then had the continue timer hit 0, so... oops.

This is one nice looking video game.

Edit: Oh, I'm not the first person on this page to have done the same. Learn from us, I guess, people!

MrS

Banned
Some scrubs ITT crying about Supreme AI on experienced. It can be done with just the Rocket Launcher and no power ups. Keep at it and you'll succeed.

Potential Game of the Generation right here though. It has supplanted even Resogun as the best shmup of recent times.

Top Bottom