• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

Q8D3vil

Sweet fx definitely fixed some blur issues for me, textures are actually visible now.
ill try it on my 4k tv later.

Agent X

I'm finally starting to develop some techniques for this game. I really adore the play mechanics for the secondary weapons. Once I started to learn how to utilize them properly, it added greatly to the enjoyment level.

I just finished playing a few minutes ago, and I got somewhere around 229 on the Arcade scoreboard at Experienced level. I haven't tried Rookie yet, but maybe I'll try it later and see if it helps me learn even more techniques.

played through on arcade on rookie to unlock the individual stages and this game is fucking incredible... you can really feel the eugene jarvis influence.

Yeah, there's a lot of Mr. Jarvis's fingerprints on this one. Some enemy movements and behaviors are reminiscent of Robotron: 2084 and Smash TV.

This may be stupid but how do you set a score on the leaderboards outside of Arena? My score for single world didn't register at the end?

The online scoreboards weren't working for me shortly after midnight (when the game first unlocked for play), but I haven't had any problems with them this evening.

Smokey

Going to stream for a bit. Might do Experienced 1cc or Veteran (trying to unlock Master).

Www.twitch.tv/espanajefff

You can enable or disable cross platform leaderboards. If you ever saw a symbol of a computer next to the date in the rankings, that means they got that score on Steam.

zkuh5.jpg

There's a little bar underneath the 5 powerups. That bar fills up when you kill enemies. When it's full, you'll gain a powerup or multiplier (if you've already gained all the powerups). If you get hit, you'll drop one of these powerups. Dunno if it's random or the last one you received.

Starting from the left, these are the powerups:

Weapon Range
Triple Dash
Shield
Dash Explosion
Weapon Spread

Weapon Range let's your bullets fly farther.

Triple Dash let's you boost 3 times. Since boosting replenishes so quickly, there's no reason you should be holding back. It gets you our of hoards and enemy bullet patterns.

Shield let's you take 1 extra hit.

Dash Explosion. When you dash, a small explosion happens when you stop.

Weapon spread makes you have a 3 way shot.

Going back to the above picture, the big, circular powerup can be 1 of the following:

Detonator
Laser
PowerShot
Rocket Launcher
Smartbomb
Sword

Personally (and from watching others stream) Smartbomb is the way to go. Press the trigger and a small radius of enemies die. Really helpful to get out of right situations.

The 2nd helpful one is the Rocket Launcher. Makes bosses much easier to deal with.

Before every boss battle, there's a powerup box in case you want to switch it up. You just have to wait till the powerup you want shows up. It goes in rotation. I'll use a smartbomb throughout the level them switch to the rocket.

The other ones aren't great, imo but maybe they'll be handy in certain situations. The Powershot has you charge up your gun and take out enemies in a straight line. The Laser makes you move slowww but kills quick.

Man, much thanks for this!

Are you using Sweetfx ?
Thanks for the drivers, didnt know they released new one for this game.

No I'm not. Going to check it out though.

Tried 4k via DS4 and averaged 106 fps.

epmode

Ah, OK. Can you beat levels in Arcade and save your progress, or do you have to go through the whole game in one fell swoop?

You have to do it in one go (allowing bookmark saves would make it much easier to cheat the leaderboards). The full playthrough is pretty short.

epmode

I'm running into a pretty awful bug on PC where the game accidentally displays terrain where there isn't supposed to be any (and vice versa). Like, I'll start Arcade mode and that little runway your guy starts on disappears almost immediately and I see lots of textureless gray terrain below. Once the level starts, the first enemies clip right through a big wall to get to me. I can walk right through it as well.

It seems that deleting my save file corrects it but it occasionally comes back.

edit: I suspect it happened because it didn't like something in my save file from the beta. It took some doing but I completely wiped my save file from Steam Cloud and restarted from scratch. The glitch hasn't happened since.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Man, this game. You're either in the zone or you're not, doesn't feel like there'll be any middle ground. It's great.

Got 127 medals to spend, bought a profile pic and debating about buying a new bullet colour but I wish you could preview it first. Little worried I'll waste my 100 medals on a colour I'm not happy with.

Btw, I know it's been said before but in case some of you have missed it at the end of each stage if you time your boost right to zip between the two circles just before you warp you'll get an extra 1,000 points.

J-Skee

This game is difficult but I like it a lot! Gonna be hard to get to the later worlds when I'm getting my ass handed to me just on the first couple of levels.

WillySJ3

Banned
Supreme AI
is kicking my ass. From 79 continues to 34 and I can't reach the final fase. This game is punishing.

Stormus

I'm confused. Is there a way to beat this game? I went through like 6 stages in Arcade; only died once. I notice it unlocked more planets. Is the 'Single World' more or less the campaign?

Supreme AI
is kicking my ass. From 79 continues to 34 and I can't reach the final fase. This game is punishing.

That boss is a pain. You NEED powerups for that fight. Triple Dash is a lifesaver.

There's a weapon box in the upper right hand corner but it's frustrating trying to get over there with all the crap around you.

I'm confused. Is there a way to beat this game? I went through like 6 stages in Arcade; only died once. I notice it unlocked more planets. Is the 'Single World' more or less the campaign?

There are only 6 stages but you can trigger something if you 1cc Arcade Mode.

This game takes Resogun and Assault Android Cactus, blends them up and cooks them down into an intense voxel madness syrup. Easily one of the best games I've played so far this year.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
For those of you that are interested here is an interview with Eugene Jarvis on the development of his first game Defender (starts at 3:10) and a bit about Robotron 2084 at 9 mins. The first 3 mins of the video is just talking about his quest to reach 1,000,000 points on Robotron 2084. I recommend the Defender interview as it gives a great insight into the development hell of arcade games when they were in their infancy and also an incredible insight into how popular arcades were.

https://youtu.be/Uv_sHdjaJpg

Elixist

great game. dont know if i personally like it better than reso so far, but its dope. happy to see they are getting a little top seller time as well

Am I missing something with the smartbomb? The blast radius seems so small. Why use it over the rocket launcher?
Smart bomb clears the entire area around you (more of a panic button), rocket launcher destroys stuff in front of you only

Also why are people spoiler tagging boss names, it's a twin stick shooter? I could see it tagging secrets or something but come on now

Spoiler: the final boss is probably going to be hard

BubbaMc

Need to manually enable vsync otherwise its juddery.

To my surprise not getting a perfect 60fps on an i7 with 1060gtx 1440p.

That's a bit worrying. In theory it should run 4k/locked 60 fps in your system.

I have 4690k with 980 Ti. I check my performance when I get back home.

This is what I was worried about. Arcade style games need to be fps locked imo, PS4 for me.

How is it on a gsync monitor though? Smooth or juddery?

Gitaroo

What's the best way to contact the dev, last boss is some real bull shit without any upgrade and shitty camera zoom. And you can't even see shit.

Is there any benefit to the sword beyond short cooldown? Really seems useless compared to the others, especially for bosses.....

Crowd control.

It was really potent for me when I had the triple dash and dash explosion upgrades. Dash straight into a group, wreck them and dash back out.
I definitely pulled off some dashing sword strikes that felt pretty rad, but I think so far I've just been relying on the more AOE explosive stuff (probably too heavily)

I'm sure everything has its place in the balance of things but man....as someone who hasn't really clicked with the sword yet it just feels like a huge mistake when I grab it lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Beat local coop with a buddy and most my deaths were because I couldn't keep up with what was going on the screen/lost sight of my character during the bullet hell voxel chain-reactions haha. What an intense ride this is! Love playing it on a proper gsync ips display as well.

Shaneus

Damn, I completely missed this thread, so I guess I missed the preorder. Really hard to justify dropping $30 on this, not sure what the discount was in Australia.

Might just suck it up and buy it on PC, but I have a feeling there are more people I'd want to compare scores with on PS4.

epmode

Damn, I completely missed this thread, so I guess I missed the preorder. Really hard to justify dropping $30 on this, not sure what the discount was in Australia.

Might just suck it up and buy it on PC, but I have a feeling there are more people I'd want to compare scores with on PS4.

It's still 20% off on Steam. 30% if you already own Outland. And leaderboards are cross-platform (I'm unsure if any consoles are left out).

For those of you that are interested here is an interview with Eugene Jarvis on the development of his first game Defender (starts at 3:10) and a bit about Robotron 2084 at 9 mins. The first 3 mins of the video is just talking about his quest to reach 1,000,000 points on Robotron 2084. I recommend the Defender interview as it gives a great insight into the development hell of arcade games when they were in their infancy and also an incredible insight into how popular arcades were.

https://youtu.be/Uv_sHdjaJpg

Even though Robotron is my favorite arcade game ever, I've never seen an interview with Jarvis. Thanks for the link!

Am I missing something with the smartbomb? The blast radius seems so small. Why use it over the rocket launcher?

Just about every 3 seconds you can use the smartbomb. It can be used on the offense by killing things around you or on the defense by stopping enemy bullets from hitting you. Like it was said, it's a great panic button lol.

What's the best way to contact the dev, last boss is some real bull shit without any upgrade and shitty camera zoom. And you can't even see shit.

Yea, when the boss has that square laser around you, there's no way to dodge that AND the other laser coming at you at the same time, unless you have triple dash. Even then, you're packining cause of all the shit around you and probably end up dashing into a bullet.

I think that 2nd phase is the only thing I have a problem with in terms of that fight. You wanna leave that square around me? Then at least take out the pink laser that's coming towards me. Has to be either or. Not both.

There should be a second or 2 of invincibility after you die. It's no fun spawning and immediately dying again.

Top Bottom