• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

Andre isnt actually retiring today. he is going to come out and say "While I am ready to retire I have one more season in me. Im ready for our last ride Houston!’

Savage walks in and
8icGan.gif

"I figured it would be fitting for a mediocre QB to let me down one last time! Go Texans!"

Top 5 in the league are Belichick, McCarthy, Tomlin, Carroll and Arians (Yes, in that order). Everyone else is a pretender. Payton is constantly overrated on these lists - Saints haven't done shit in years. Reid is too much of a perrenial bridesmaid to be top 5.

Maybe Reid would have won a SB if he was given a QB as good as fraudgers. It blows my mind to see McCarthy so high on these lists.

Bionic explain to me why this is a thing:

Through an obscure and rarely invoked Massachusetts legal principle called abatement ab initio, because Hernandez had not exhausted all his appeals on his murder conviction, that conviction is essentially now voided. The practical effect of this is that evidence from Hernandez’s criminal trial cannot be used in any potential civil trials against his estate.

How in the world can they have a system that rewards murders for killing themselves. This is insane.

Why would you think this?

They cannot use his conviction in that case as evidence in the civil case now. They will have to re-litigate the entire case again, only without Hernandez himself to testify. If you read that thread on his suicide it seems like lots of people in the media are saying that it will be very difficult for the family to win a civil judgment now. I really hope that is not the case.

What money do they have to get without this happening and from who?

I just read an atricle that said at the time of Odins murder Hernandez had close to $8m. The article did say that the family is claiming that they no longer have that money so I dont know what they could actually get.

BigAT

They cannot use his conviction in that case as evidence in the civil case now. They will have to re-litigate the entire case again, only without Hernandez himself to testify. If you read that thread on his suicide it seems like lots of people in the media are saying that it will be very difficult for the family to win a civil judgment now. I really hope that is not the case.

There was enough evidence to prove his guilt in a criminal court of law. The burden of proof in civil court is even lower than that. It's certainly harder for them now, but I can't imagine why it would be impossible.

Sanjuro

I just read an atricle that said at the time of Odins murder Hernandez had close to $8m. The article did say that the family is claiming that they no longer have that money so I dont know what they could actually get.

Well, he wasn't able to pay for his legal team during the last trial.

Patriots have refused to pay him the remainder of his salary due to his crimes. Not being convicted of anything would help the family recover the remainder.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jesus Christ, Trump is such a fucking awful speaker.

How did/does a single person think he's even remotely presidential?

EDIT: Why does he ALWAYS MAKE IT ABOUT HIMSELF?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I get that Kraft is old as hell and likely has no idea what's actually going on in the world but that was a disappointing speech.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Boston media pointing out a couple things:

- Trump made a point to single out black Patriots players a bit too obviously, as if to say, "See? Black players came!"

- Trump didn't mention Brady's name a single time, which means he likely is mad that Brady didn't go. He wouldn't miss an opportunity to name drop and talk about how close of friends they are. That's what he does.

bionic77

Bionic explain to me why this is a thing:

How in the world can they have a system that rewards murders for killing themselves. This is insane.
That is never the intention of any of these laws.

That is a weird law so off the top of my head I can't think of a reason for it other then judicial economy.

Top Bottom