• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

Terrible draft, Texans got Hopkins out of it though and well that was it. Oddly enough most texans fans were clamoring for Patterson. Hindsight is almost always funny that way

We did! There are pictures of it on Watt's instgram account so Im surprised you did not see them since you follow him so closely
Lies. The only thing on watts account are pics of watt.

dionysus

Yaldog
Saints schedule looks about as weak as you can get. Bears, Bills, Jets, Rams and the NFC south I doubt is strong this year.

Also should get a decent amount of games broadcast where I am currently living.

Really hate the schedule this year, but I know why the NFL does it. The NFL does not want the perception of teams winning their division by week 8 or 9, which has happened the last 2 years for the Patriots (despite Miami hanging on throughout the year). The Patriots play essentially meaningless games (from playoff perspective) from week 1 - 8, and then week 10 - 17 play either division or conference rivals. There are three non-division games from week 10 - 17, and they're against Denver, Pittsburgh, and Oakland, arguably the three biggest threats to the Patriots outside their division.

I get why the NFL does it for ratings, but it imbalances the season so the first 8 weeks are packed with games with so few playoff implications, and then every week from Week 10 - 17 is playoff packed. I'd imagine other teams have a similar back-heavy schedule that makes no sense. It makes the NFL season play out like a college basketball or college football season.

Pepiope

People still care about 5" screens?

Phones are mostly good enough these days.

The things i care about are speed (unless you have a garbo phone pretty much all phones are fast these days) and battery life (which has not really improved much since the iPhone 4 came out). I like to have a slightly nicer camera but man we are probably at a point of diminishing returns.

Apple has a big enough base that they can people to upgrade on minor improvements and the camera but the other high end guys are getting killed because there is usually not a huge reason to upgrade. Going to catch up to Apple eventually too unless we get some new tech.
This is a 6.2" screen. I mostly browse the web and use video apps, so the display is the most important thing to me, and the s8+ has the best display on a smartphone. It's also a huge boost in battery. My s6 was terrible. I'd say Apple is playing catch up now.

Even with how bad the cap was this year, the Eagles were able to get the top FA WR, a WR to stretch the field, another DE to add to the rotation, and an up-and-coming DT who's frankly better than Bennie Logan. And next year there are going to be a bunch of retirements to free up space
They also got Warmack who could be a starter on the line.

bionic77

This is a 6.2" screen. I mostly browse the web and use video apps, so the display is the most important thing to me, and the s8+ has the best display on a smartphone. It's also a huge boost in battery. My s6 was terrible. I'd say Apple is playing catch up now.

Catch up to what?

The one thing that Samsung is ahead on that is actually substantial is VR. I tried it and find it shit on phones, but if you like that is definitely something you cannot get on an Apple phone.

Other than that there have been no real advancement in phones for years. The advancements are all minimal and do not contribute anything substantial to the user experience.

Most people use their phones to text, browse the net, and do some social media shit on it. Even the cheapest phone can do that 98% as well as the top of the line Apple or Samsung phone. For me I stick with Apple because I love being able to take calls on my computer and the way it handles texts on computer and phone. Obviously most people don't give a shit about either of those features. I use my phone for work and 90% of the use is checking my calendar, emails and making phone calls. It has not gotten much better at any of these things in the past 4 year (aside from being able to take calls automatically on the computer which is the greatest for me).

I know you got a hype ass phone that is beautiful and I am not trying to kill your buzz, but not much has changed with phones for years. That is why they are not selling as well as they used to.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just got a warranty replacement on my Nexus 5x. It's a dope ass phone. Hopefully in two or three years I can get another one.

Hindl

I sure hope so, especially since Stoutland is here and he's the one who made Warmack the top Guard prospect of possibly the decade. And getting prime Warmack and Lane out of that draft would be amazing. But generally once you're in the league you are what you are. I'm expecting him to carve out a niche as a backup G. If he can live up to his game coming out that would obviously be amazing since that would mean we'd conceivably only have a single tackle position being a weak point on the line for the next 3-4 years, but I'm not going to hold my breath

I need Dual Sim (The ability to carry two numbers on one phone) more than anything.

Oneplus 3 was my God tier phone for this purpose. Hurt like hell when I lost that phone. :(

I've ordered a (cheaper) replacement - The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Prime (what a mouthful). 250 bucks. Paying 8-900 dollars for phones is a suckers bet, especially considering the performance boost if any, is marginal at best.

Pepiope

Catch up to what?

The one thing that Samsung is ahead on that is actually substantial is VR. I tried it and find it shit on phones, but if you like that is definitely something you cannot get on an Apple phone.

Other than that there have been no real advancement in phones for years. The advancements are all minimal and do not contribute anything substantial to the user experience.

Most people use their phones to text, browse the net, and do some social media shit on it. Even the cheapest phone can do that 98% as well as the top of the line Apple or Samsung phone. For me I stick with Apple because I love being able to take calls on my computer and the way it handles texts on computer and phone. Obviously most people don't give a shit about either of those features. I use my phone for work and 90% of the use is checking my calendar, emails and making phone calls. It has not gotten much better at any of these things in the past 4 year (aside from being able to take calls automatically on the computer which is the greatest for me).

I know you got a hype ass phone that is beautiful and I am not trying to kill your buzz, but not much has changed with phones for years. That is why they are not selling as well as they used to.
The biggest change this year is aesthetic, but the display, Samsung pay, and fast charging are things I can't get on apple, and is why I made the switch. But different people like different things, that's cool. I'm constantly on my phone, so the changes are worth it to me.

Hindl

Thank the Dolphins for being total fucking morons in 2013

Already did

Eagles dodged such a fucking bullet. The Dolphins saved us from Chip drafting Dion Jordan. Lane's suspensions have been shitty but I think he finally figured it out, and he's one of the top RTs in the league when he's playing

Thank god. Assuming 2014 draft goes the same, Danny Watkins, Dion Jordan, and Marcus Smith being 3 out of 4 1st round picks in a row would've been disastrous

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pats did pretty damn well in 2013 if I remember correctly. Traded out of the first round and used the picks to get Logan Ryan and Jamie Collins.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also picked Harmon I believe.

2nd Round (#52 Overall) – Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Miss
2nd Round (#59 Overall) – Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
3rd Round (#83 Overall) – Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
3rd Round (#91 Overall) – Duron Harmon, SS, Rutgers
4th Round (#102 Overall) – Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
7th Round (#226 Overall) – Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois
7th Round (#235 Overall) – Steve Beauharnais, LB, Rutgers

The Patriots have also added a large group of undrafted free agent prospects.

Picks traded away:
1st Round – (Vikings – 2013 Picks)
4th Round – (Bucs – Aqib Talib)
5th Round – (Redskins – Albert Haynesworth)
6th Round – (Bengals – Chad Ochocinco)
7th Round – (Bucs, through Vikings – LeGarrette Blount)

BigAT

Eagles dodged such a fucking bullet. The Dolphins saved us from Chip drafting Dion Jordan. Lane's suspensions have been shitty but I think he finally figured it out, and he's one of the top RTs in the league when he's playing

I remember even at the time being pissed at the Dolphins. Jordan seemed like such an obvious bust and I was really hoping Philly was going to take him.

Duxxy3

Pats did pretty damn well in 2013 if I remember correctly. Traded out of the first round and used the picks to get Logan Ryan and Jamie Collins.

Even though they're no longer with the team, that was the best "pick" in the 1st round.

Unfortunately it's also the same draft where we took Aaron Dobson. He was a improvement over the likes of Chad Jackson, but he was still a big disappointment.
It looks like the Pats got back on track with Malcolm Mitchell.

bionic77

The biggest change this year is aesthetic, but the display, Samsung pay, and fast charging are things I can't get on apple, and is why I made the switch. But different people like different things, that's cool. I'm constantly on my phone, so the changes are worth it to me.
My eyes suck so that good of a display never made that big of a difference to me.

I just want good colors and clear text.

I guess if you edit a lot of photos that screen can come in handy (or some other use I cannot think of), but for most people I think even screens from a Samsung phone from 2-3 years ago or a budge phone from today are going to be good enough.

The Samsung pay I guess is their version of Apple Pay/Google Pay? Don't see what is different about but I will take your word for it.

And fast charging? Do you mean fast wireless charging? Because all phones can charge quickly now as far as I can tell as long as you have a powerful enough plug. But again maybe this is something different and novel that I am unaware of.

Pepiope

My eyes suck so that good of a display never made that big of a difference to me.

I just want good colors and clear text.

I guess if you edit a lot of photos that screen can come in handy (or some other use I cannot think of), but for most people I think even screens from a Samsung phone from 2-3 years ago or a budge phone from today are going to be good enough.

The Samsung pay I guess is their version of Apple Pay/Google Pay? Don't see what is different about but I will take your word for it.

And fast charging? Do you mean fast wireless charging? Because all phones can charge quickly now as far as I can tell as long as you have a powerful enough plug. But again maybe this is something different and novel that I am unaware of.
Fast charging is different from fast wireless charging, apple has neither. In a half hour I could charge my phone about 50% maybe more. Apple may add them both on the 8.

Samsung pay is different from apple pay and android pay. It's better. It doesn't use NFC, it mimics a magnetic swipe instead. You can use it anywhere you can swipe your card.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Apple sucks unless you're 100% bought into their ecosystem.

Android stuff plays nice with pretty much any setup, and has way better cheap options. Apple "cheap" options for phones are five years out of date.

bionic77

Fast charging is different from fast wireless charging, apple has neither. In a half hour I could charge my phone about 50% maybe more. Apple may add them both on the 8.

Samsung pay is different from apple pay and android pay. It's better. It doesn't use NFC, it mimics a magnetic swipe instead. You can use it anywhere you can swipe your card.
That sounds pretty cool.

Not sure about that fast charging thing. I can definitely get 50% in 30 minutes if I use an iPad plug on my iPhone and I have a plus.

Pepiope

That sounds pretty cool.

Not sure about that fast charging thing. I can definitely get 50% in 30 minutes if I use an iPad plug on my iPhone and I have a plus.
There is a video on YouTube comparing the s8+ and the iPhone 7 going from 0 to 100%

S8+ does it in 1h42m
7+ does it in 2h46m

Keep in mind that s8+ has a 3500mah battery while the 7+ has a 2900mah battery.

effzee

Even with how bad the cap was this year, the Eagles were able to get the top FA WR, a WR to stretch the field, another DE to add to the rotation, and an up-and-coming DT who's frankly better than Bennie Logan. And next year there are going to be a bunch of retirements to free up space

Or Dion ended up going to the wrong team. We never put into the equation the environment and how that hurt or helped the player.

I am glad the Eagles took Johnson but I'd like to believe Dion wouldn't be the same bust if he was on the Eagles.

Top Bottom