• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

oh okay. so when nintendo does it, it's luck, but when sony does it, it's elbow grease and gumption!

i guess it's my fault. i never believed in magic.

Where did I say this? Is this some persecution complex because I didn't even hint at that being the case.

The problem with the new Ip's Nintendo created in the Wii era is that they weren't able to sustain them across generations. The Wii___ series completely collapsed.

Hence I said they should look into new IP's whose sales can be sustained. X seems like a good step for instance.

Or, more likely given their recent form, they will miss their forecast. I don't see Nintendo hitting 12m when they barely made it this year with a much stronger software line up.

Maybe they'll release the 2DS in Japan, along with announcing some high quality games during E3. Perhaps we'll see the third installment of the 6th gen. of Pokemon. Those two alone could do a lot, along with a portable Smash Bros (which I imagine the Japanese will eat up).

AniHawk

Nintendo is creating new IPs, but there are very few given the same budget and marketing push as their flagship mascot titles.

Sony on the other hand does this constantly with new IP, even for stuff with questionable mainstream appeal like Heavy Rain.

maybe not for a 2012 release of xenoblade, but they put effort behind their new ips. you had commercials of beyonce playing rhythm heaven, people playing wii sports, a push for elite beat agents, and even one ad for sin & punishment 2 (which wasn't a new ip, but god damn a television ad for sin & punishment 2?!)

A telling fact. In the last quarter Nintendo shipped just 70,000 Wii U units to Europe/other. Absolutely shocking.

Nintendo are basically dead in Europe. 550k units in a year is horrible no matter what spin Nintendo comeup with.
Maybe they'll release the 2DS in Japan, along with announcing some high quality games during E3. Perhaps we'll see the third installment of the 6th gen. of Pokemon. Those two alone could do a lot, along with a portable Smash Bros (which I imagine the Japanese will eat up).
Nintendo can't release the 2DS in Japan because it will eat into their hardware margins. Japan is the only country where they will record a decent hardware margin for 3DS and Wii U. The latter had painfully low volume so they must do everything possible to ensure that the first is not damaged.

Nintendo have nothing to fall back on. In previous troubled times Nintendo always had one division which was profitable, usually the handheld one, right now all of their business units are performing poorly or dreadfully.

Some Nobody

Good god, that is not what I said at all. I never said they didn't have a problem. I said that the problem was exaggerated by people here.

iefypFbisGvI4.gif

Not exaggerated at all. When you have the roadmap from other developers, you should be able to avoid those pitfalls. They're still churning out great games, but...not at a sufficient rate.

jvm

Gamasutra.
The name didn't help though, and more or less typified the socially disconnected beliefs that poisoned the design of this console in general.

I'd be willing to bet money that the gamepad idea came before the naming of the thing, but no one has any way to prove that

edit: actually, I recall an interview with a developer where he said when Nintendo was first shopping around their console to third parties, all they had was the gamepad and a power ceiling they wanted to stay within (ergo, the relative power of the console). Which to me, both predate the name. I'll see if I can find it

HowZatOZ

Banned
2DS has done reasonably well, I love my one and recommend it to any and all looking to jump into the Nintendo handheld world. I think the big problem is on first glance it looks terrible, but once you get your hands on it you'll find it really comfortable and perfectly fitted for everyday use.

On the Wii U front its clear the console just wasn't ready for this generation. Its behind the times in terms of technology, the screen while great to use is just an inconvenience in developing and there is just no third party support due to how behind it is. Why develop for old hardware when you have fancier ones?

I do still have a Wii U alongside my PS4, haven't thought to sell it and don't think I will just because I enjoy the actual games on the system (Pikmin 3 is just amazing, as is 3D World). It is a shame to see it doing so badly, but when you compare it to all their other past consoles it seems like a Nintendo trend. It really makes me wonder if Zelda will be held back for release on the new console (there is no doubt they won't make one more try) and whether it will just be Smash and Kart.

If they do go the new console route, I really hope to see a hybrid. If its one thing Nintendo can do well, is create amazing software for their handheld and home console systems, and to have both on my big screen would amazing. Capitalise on the dual screen system like the Wii U has, but just make it a smaller handheld version that you can pack up and move on the go, all while still playing console quality games. The Vita has shown a system like that can work well, and combining both markets could work better for the company.

The point is new IP's can do really well as Playstation has shown. 4 5+ million franchises in the space of 8 years. This is something Nintendo should look into; instead they reiterate the same franchises that might not sell well. I'm not talking about your sure fire successes like MK, Smash, Mario 3d etc. Stuff like DK which flopped iirc or Wii Fit U.
Yes new ip's can do well, my point is Sony has created all these new ips that sell well yet Nintendo has been using pretty much the same ones that have sold well if not better than these new ips. After awhile sony is forced to go such lengths because their IPs get stale.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That loss in cash and equivalents is staggering. They can't have another 2-3 years like that. Something has to change and fast.

Also, how has Iwata not been canned yet?

AniHawk

Hence I said they should look into new IP's whose sales can be sustained.

if you were talking about sustainability, i never saw it. all your wording pertains to the creation of new ips and them suddenly appearing out of thin air ('the wii happens' and 'hitting a goldmine').

then you stretch all the way back to 2005 as a recent example of a powerhouse new ip and i don't even know why. like why pick 2005 as your start date and start talking about sustainability when god of war has declined over the last several years as well?

HUELEN10

I'd be willing to bet money that the gamepad idea came before the naming of the thing, but no one has any way to prove that
Sure we do, it's just a bitch to search for nowadays, but it can be proven; tons of articles when the Wii came out, including maybe an Iwata asks, mentioned that they had a lot of ideas for the Revolution's controller, even one with a screen and/or stylus, but that might be too much like DS so that's why they opted against it.
wPE1Uaa.jpg

Here are other prototypes.

danmaku

Honestly, the fact that Mario Kart on Wii sold over 35 million units and that NSMBW, a core Mario game sold 28.65 million units (more than either Wii Fit version, or Wii Play) kinda made me think that they at least had some core exclusive-title growth that would stick around. Obviously, it appears I was mistaken.

My guess: they had fun with Nintendo games, but didn't see the "Nintendo difference". They were just games. Now it's cool to buy tablets, and they have games too. Maybe not the same exact games, but games anyway, and they're fun. Sure, they don't have Mario, but Temple Run is good enough.

I'm holding on to Pokemon Art Academy, Fossil Fighters, and Band Brothers P localizations as well as any two (three if we're lucky) of Rhythm Heaven, Metroid, Glory of Heracles, Seaman, Advance Wars, or a new retail IP.

How did Wonderful 101 sell?

Less than 100K WW, probably.

How did Wonderful 101 sell?

NPD: 8k
JP: 5k

Yes new ip's can do well, my point is Sony has created all these new ips that sell well yet Nintendo has been using pretty much the same ones that have sold well if not better than these new ips. After awhile sony is forced to go such lengths because their IPs get stale.

Keep the ones that sell well. Try new Ip's in place of the franchises that don't sell well or have low chances of selling well.

if you were talking about sustainability, i never saw it. all your wording pertains to the creation of new ips and them suddenly appearing out of thin air ('the wii happens' and 'hitting a goldmine').

then you stretch all the way back to 2005 as a recent example of a powerhouse new ip and i don't even know why. like why pick 2005 as your start date and start talking about sustainability when god of war has declined over the last several years as well?

Oh I see you saw the "hitting a goldmine" phrase and though that. My bad, that was the wrong phrase, that was entirely Nintendo's work not taking anything away from them there.

It was taken to show how 4 new IP's that sell very well were made in the span of 8 years. Or 3 from the start of this generation.

God of War is in decline? Lets see how GoW 4 does.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I can't understand why Nintendo isn't taking all of its potential on the table. Bring Pokemon MMo, A Mario 3D World multiplayer online, Zelda Online, Animal Crossing multiplayer Online, Mario Strikers, Mario Tennis, Xenoblade Online... All these games will make the diference as they become service games. They need to see that.

And bring all the major IPs outhere. Minecraft should be on WiiU, and if it can happen,then they should be putting their own take on the genre. Same with the great Shooters out there. They need to keep putting tiny teams developing family games for NintendoLand, that they're very important for the console.

So, these numbers look so wrong, I'm not sure I did it right. Someone double check?

Jan - Mar 2014 shipments
3DS total: 590K
of which 3DS: 60K
of which 3DS XL: 440K
of which 2DS: 90K

Can Nintendo really still be working through the holiday shipment of 2DS systems? Those numbers look wrong to me, but it's what I came up with from my spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdHpZWUxGWkxHQVlZN1FpTEpxNV9NUEE&usp=sharing

Will check back later.
Numbers are correct, as far as I can tell.

liger05

What exactly would it take for Iwata and others to get the boot?

How many fuckups does it require until the decision makers realise there is a major problem @ Nintendo.

This thread confirms many things for me.

-People really do think that they are smarter than the really are
-People jump to conclusion rather readily
-People hold on to those conclusions even if they have to gloss over certain facts

Sounds like nintendo is on the right path to me. Finally realistic about the WiiU and their losses are from their own cash injections. Still, im much much more intrigued to see what lessons (if any) they have learned and how these lessons will carry over to the WiiU's successor.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This situation can no longer continue, nintendo has to do something and its not going to be pretty.

The situation will continue because Nintendo are too arrogant and insular to do anything else.

So, these numbers look so wrong, I'm not sure I did it right. Someone double check?

Jan - Mar 2014 shipments
3DS total: 590K
of which 3DS: 60K
of which 3DS XL: 440K
of which 2DS: 90K

Can Nintendo really still be working through the holiday shipment of 2DS systems? Those numbers look wrong to me, but it's what I came up with from my spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXhc02VTSWzdHpZWUxGWkxHQVlZN1FpTEpxNV9NUEE&usp=sharing

Will check back later.

If you consider that Japan might have received nearly all of those XLs, (480k sold at retail in Japan q1) then 2DS could be the one that gets the highest restocks elsewhere. They obviously overshipped everything to a degree, next Q should look better.

The other part I don't understand is why they have been staffing up over the last few years but their output has decreased. They must really be struggling with HD development given that they have added around 1,000 people over the last 5 years and the games are still somewhere in the ether.

Sandfox

That loss in cash and equivalents is staggering. They can't have another 2-3 years like that. Something has to change and fast.

Also, how has Iwata not been canned yet?

A majority of that cash went to the Yamauchi stock so chances are it won't be dropping like that again any time soon.

Portugeezer

That 3.6 million forecast is good, in the sense that it means Nintendo accept Wii U as a failure and should move onto their next console ASAP.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo will focus on efforts that seek to stimulate the platform. By providing software that takes advantage of the “Wii U GamePad,” utilizing its built-in functionality as an NFC reader/writer, and adding “Nintendo DS” Virtual Console titles to the “Wii U” software lineup, Nintendo will seek to enrich the value of the “Wii U GamePad,” the most important differentiator of “Wii U,” and as a result expand the sales of the “Wii U” platform.

This is their plan? DS games on the VC?

What exactly would it take for Iwata and others to get the boot?

How many fuckups does it require until the decision makers realise there is a major problem @ Nintendo.

To be fair, the massive drop in cash is mostly due to the share buyback, not the bad sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Now that I think about it, last year, we knew about them not doing E3 press conference with Q4's investor meeting. This year, they've announced most of the details before the meeting, with the great Mega64 collaboration, but I think this investor meeting will go a little more on some details of their E3 plans.

I'm also expecting them mentioning Mario Golf as an example of their pricing / software plans for the future.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The other part I don't understand is why they have been staffing up over the last few years but their output has decreased. They must really be struggling with HD development given that they have added around 1,000 people over the last 5 years and the games are still somewhere in the ether.

I do find this rather intriguing as well. Maybe they are working on something else.

Top Bottom