• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norm Macdonald Live (youtube, podcast, Amazon Prime) Season 3 |OT| The Book Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks no new episodes. What's going on?

Part of the Norm Macdonald experience is waiting an excruciatingly long amount of time for him to do anything.

That's the curse of Norm. He could have the funniest TV show on the planet, but he doesn't give enough of a shit to actually do it.

Tom_Cody

2 weeks no new episodes. What's going on?
The Norm subreddit has been melting down for the last few weeks.

It is confirmed that there are additional episodes that have already been shot but not released. The main theories are: 1) the show is being shopped around to streaming services (unlikely IMO given that it is already on Amazon) or 2) they simply want to space out the episode releases over a longer period of time in order to better help promote the book.

Darn thought this thread was bumped because there was a new ep. I have been chomping at the bit for new Norm stuff ever since I saw him live at SF last week.

He was amazing in person and definitely a great first stand-up experience for me. He had the best joke about Trump's pussy line that I've heard yet. It also helped that there was an insane Trump supporter there who yelled to Norm about a certain "old buck-toothed hag". Norm did a lot of good work with that.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Listening to the book on Audible and damn is it incredible. I just got past the part where the
ghostwriter talks about the first time he met Norm and his racist Eskimo joke, which of course was just an innocuous double entendre joke by Norm) The funniest parts about it were how you could tell that it was all written by Norm, as it is written in the exact way Norm always talks. That and the splendidly, splendidly, splendidly, etc. part had me rolling. The ghostwriter's voice on that part was too much)

Even though I have heard many of these stories told a dozen times, or more in some cases, they manage to come off fresh and still hilarious and interesting for the book.His Rodney Dangerfield story and bit had me rolling, especially.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
This is seriously Norm's greatest hits, the book. I 100% recommend getting the audiobook, it is damn near perfect. Norm's tale about Dave Attell ane Sarah Silverman, and all the stuff afterward had me absolutely dying.

Tom_Cody

Apparently he got Letterman and Seinfeld. Don't know when they'll start airing them again though.
Super exciting!

There are a bunch of confirmed recorded episodes (Mike Tyson is one) but no word of when they will air. I subscribe to the theory that they got some type of deal, and they're waiting to release them in a batch. It would make sense if its Netflix.

The Seinfeld one should be interesting considering he's brought up a number of times in recent podcast appearances and interviews how he's not a fan of his stand up style. Not sure if I expect him to be entirety respectful lol. If anything I'm hoping he isn't just to see if he can get Jerry to squirm a bit.

Fluvian

Banned
He also recorded an episode with Mike Tyson! I guess they hit it off working on Mike's cartoon together.
miXBrPxCgN_05lB8Oa_YaGjDNM5zuo53mHVH2P6DF2s.jpg

Theres a picture of him recording with Seinfeld too somewhere, the podcasts sub reddit is honestly much more active than this thread.

EDIT: Picture wouldn't post, heres a link to the reddit page i got it from.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NormMacdonald/comments/590thr/more_proof_that_the_mike_tyson_interview_is_a/

-MD-

Window

Have no idea if Norm was joking about Robert Blake cancelling but I wonder if Norm would be still chasing him up. I feel like that was one of those jokes I never understood whether it was circumstantial or Norm made it up completely.

Have no idea if Norm was joking about Robert Blake cancelling but I wonder if Norm would be still chasing him up. I feel like that was one of those jokes I never understood whether it was circumstantial or Norm made it up completely.

I always saw the interest in Blake as a joke but who knows with Norm.

Saw this from the subreddit, apparently Norm did a tweet storm last night about a "man" who was "grievously hurt" due to him not appearing on a podcast. People pieced together this was Greg Fitzsimmons who did a particularly nasty rant against him in 2009 saying things like Norm is mentally ill, the connection between Norm's tweets and the podcast in question is about this guy's wife saying she met him once and thought he was nuts and to avoid at all costs. So Norm seems potentially hurt by this, and Fitzsimmons comes out looking like an actual nutcase. So bizarre.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NormMacdonald/comments/5abel2/norm_tweets_about_fitzsimmons/

I was at a party at Sarah Silverman's a few years back. I was doing a show on Comedy Central at the time.

I was asked by a man to do a podcast and I agreed to do it.

Some time later I did the man's podcast and had a good time. He has asked me to do his podcast since, and other things, and I have.

Yesterday, a man played a tape of the man speaking about me on his podcast.

The man said the day after I had made my promise to him at Sarah's podcast, he had a famous man cancel and needed me that night.

He tried to get me but he couldn't. I wasn't available.Available the day after i had promised to one day be on his podcast. A promise I kept

When I spoke to him at Sarah's party I had my usual odd and incoherent voice and delivery.

The man said his wife had worked at a shelter for people who were mentally disturbed and the man said his wife had warned him.

The man said his wife had warned him that I was to be avoided at all costs but the man was too trusting and that was the story of his life.

So the next day, when the famous man had canceled on him on the very same day but in the sweetest of ways he decided to ask me.

But, no. I did not even return his call. He should have known, of course. From my disjointed affect at the party the night before.

After all, his wife had worked with the insane for some time in a shelter and should be able to spot a crazy person.

But the man was too trusting.

And the man's trusting nature was what allowed me to hurt him so grievously.

It was types like this man that types like me looked for. His wife had told him as much. But the man was too trusting. So he got hurt.

Good night.

The podcast in question, the rant starts at about 4:30: https://archive.org/details/GregFitzsimmonsShow06-30-09

Pretty good burn by Norm though.

Tom_Cody

Saw this from the subreddit...

...Pretty good burn by Norm though.
I'm sort of conflicted about this.

I actually used to listen to Fitzsimmons' podcast back then, after having enjoyed his guest appearances on other podcasts. He also does a show on Howard Stern's channel, and he definitely does more of an acerbic shock-jock persona on both the podcast and the radio show than he does on other podcasts/interviews (which I assume is his real personality). I mean, yes he was rude, but I think it was more just him telling a story as that character than it was an attack on Norm. And unfortunately Norm's tweet seem to come from the perspective that Fitzsimmons just made the statements yesterday, and not seven years ago.

Weird as Norm was on Greg's podcast just a few weeks ago.

edit: Just listened to the podcast rant... fuck I remember listening to that years ago now. Yeah, Greg is definitely one to lash out and has spoken at length about his anger problems in the past. I could see that beef being squashed in no time assuming Norm can forgive him.

Wow Fitzsimmons sounds pretty silly in that clip. How self centered do you have to be to expect someone to immediately acquiesce to your request one day after seeing them and them saying that they'll go on your show some time, all because your real guest cancelled last minute? I mean even someone not getting back to you that same day is not only not some terrible slight, it shouldn't even register as unacceptable.

As a non-regular yet longtime listener of Greg's podcast... I think for better or worse the dude forgets he's doing a show at times. He is ridiculously open about his personal life and doesn't always seem to realize that everything he says is out there forever.

Tom_Cody

Wow Fitzsimmons sounds pretty silly in that clip. How self centered do you have to be to expect someone to immediately acquiesce to your request one day after seeing them and them saying that they'll go on your show some time, all because your real guest cancelled last minute? I mean even someone not getting back to you that same day is not only not some terrible slight, it shouldn't even register as unacceptable.
Eh, I think he was just frustrated with the situation and was letting off some steam. But yeah, he said it, so he needs to deal with the consequences. Again, this was 7 years ago. It's kind of bizarre that such a relatively minor incident has been resurrected for discussion.

As a non-regular yet longtime listener of Greg's podcast... I think for better or worse the dude forgets he's doing a show at times. He is ridiculously open about his personal life and doesn't always seem to realize that everything he says is out there forever.
I think it's simply of consequence of doing a few hours of radio/podcast per week. You fill time with whatever is on your mind, and this can lead to over-sharing and venting as in this instance.

Someone on the reddit sub posted one of Norm's "The View" appearances the other day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2dDf41R0G8) and others mentioned another one that had never been seen online where he makes a crack about Bill Clinton murdering someone, well a user actually had this one on VHS and just uploaded it today. Walters gets so ruffled over it, it's wonderful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3PP_SWHUQQ

I guess it was a play on this Weekend Update bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJtVhMcEAig

As someone who rewatched almost every episode recently, the combination of the show returning after an extended hiatus and David fucking Letterman being a guest is almost too much to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom