• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity among US adults reaches all-time high, 40% of adults and 19% of kids

RDreamer

People here can be so ridiculously lazy. I was at an office where they had to change the way they notified departments of fire drills because people were so lazy. They used to tell them what hour they would happen, but since you can't use the elevator during the drills people would start wandering downstairs on the elevators and hanging out down there for the entire hour so they had to change it and not tell them when during the day it would happen.

I mean, yeah, 8 floors up isn't the most fun thing, but you're going down the stairs and it really isn't that bad. The fact people would hang around for an hour just because they might have to go down stairs really says something to me.

I think it's largely a spiraling problem overall. We build our country around cars so people aren't used to moving during the day, and so they grow to dislike it and move even less during the in between times like this.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No, I'm not joking.

[...]
Conclusion: Sugar, fat and salt all increase reward in certain foods which make us overeat. Sucrose on its own is not addictive. Fat on its own is not addictive. Salt on its own is not addictive.
They are obviously not at the same level of addictive as nicotine or heroine, or even alcohol, but that doesn't prove they aren't addictive at all.

I also never claimed that carbs are evil. They certainly can have their uses. They just aren't necessary or optimal for health for most people.

Carbs are necessary for most people, if only because animal agriculture is extremely destructive to the environment. If every person in the earth went on a ketogenic diet we'd need to decrease the population. We already can't sustain the current level of animal agriculture we have.

PerkeyMan

I'm glad you've decide on things that MIT and the CDC have spent over a decade studying. Maybe you should forward them that lit review and they can save billions with further studies.

How about you read what I post before you respond? Regarding your nice links to rat-studies. Nice argument from authority btw.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-016-1229-6

"Most of the evidence is limited to the animal neuroscience literature, and it is far from convincing"

"We find little evidence to support sugar addiction in humans, and findings from the animal literature suggest that addiction-like behaviours, such as bingeing, occur only in the context of intermittent access to sugar. These behaviours likely arise from intermittent access to sweet tasting or highly palatable foods, not the neurochemical effects of sugar."

"Given the lack of evidence supporting it, we argue against a premature incorporation of sugar addiction into the scientific literature and public policy recommendations."

I, sadly, thought it was actually higher. Our reputation overseas is certainly more along those lines. I've been told more than once while abroad that I must be Canadian because Americans are fat...
The definition of fat can include people who are overweight. This stat is just people who are obese. I'm pretty sure the amount of overweight and/or obese americans is pretty high.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Carbs are necessary for most people, if only because animal agriculture is extremely destructive to the environment. If every person in the earth went on a ketogenic diet we'd need to decrease the population. We already can't sustain the current level of animal agriculture we have.

Certainly a great many things about human society would need to change to accommodate. I think it's pretty clear that our current monocrop-focused farming isn't very sustainable, either, though.

Certainly a great many things about human society would need to change to accommodate. I think it's pretty clear that our current monocrop-focused farming isn't very sustainable, either, though.

A lot of our monocrop focused farming is a result of growing crops to feed cattle.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Pretty soon we’ll be in wall-E

funny-drive-thru-jokekyj1g.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The worst part is that from what I could tell from the article this study only counts BMIs over 30. I'm still 15 pounds over "normal" and don't count. The percentage of people who are overweight must be over 50%.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The worst part is that from what I could tell from the article this study only counts BMIs over 30. I'm still 15 pounds over "normal" and don't count. The percentage of people who are overweight must be over 50%.

71% of Americans over age 20.

Madness

It is over 70%. In ten years, America becomes a majority obese country, the first in human history and the world to have a majority population of people above 15 years of age be classified obese. That should be terrifying yet it goes unnoticed. The US elected perhaps the 3rd fattest President in history, one who need a golf cart to go a few hundred metres when other world leaders walk. Yet no one brings it up. People are told to ignore obesity altogether. 'Don't comment on someone's weight, don't bring up the fact they are morbidly obese, this costume is plus size not fat, he is husky not fat, she is curvy not fat' etc.

Haines

Banned
Went to theatre today.

My rule is to never buy popcorn combo bc of how expenisive it is for nothing in nutrition.

Me and my 4 year old boy went to a steakhouse b4hand and shared a meal instead.

Believe me, almost everyone in there had a combo.

Health is decisions people.

Besides the person with the thyroid problem which is a legit medical problem losing weight and going to the gym is extremely simple as long as you have the willpower to want to be healthier.

Start off with a healthy breakfast every morning which most likely will increase the chances of a healthy lunch and then cook your dinner every night. Very few eat healthy all day after starting with a McDonalds breakfast.

Blueingreen

emphasis of sugar in food, eating out culture, mammoth portions, culture of driving everywhere even if it's a 10 minute walk, "bang for your buck" culture, and the prevalence of a "fat acceptance movement" is going to be a recipe for disaster.

But the real issue is ignorance, everyone has a basic idea of the difference between healthy food and shit food, the information is everywhere people just choose to ignore it.

I fully believe that the gym/fitness culture is actively hurting us as well. It has become a badge of honor, an identity thing for a lot of people instead of being just a part of everyday life. It's easy for those that do not want to be a part of it to simply say 'that's not me'.

Look at Europeans and Asian cities. They simply walk and bike everywhere. It's not an 'activity'. It's not a 'thing'. It simply is.

I fully believe that the gym/fitness culture is actively hurting us as well. It has become a badge of honor, an identity thing for a lot of people instead of being just a part of everyday life. It's easy for those that do not want to be a part of it to simply say 'that's not me'.

Look at Europeans and Asian cities. They simply walk and bike everywhere. It's not an 'activity'. It's not a 'thing'. It simply is.

There are different types of gyms from hardcore roid monkeys to casual everyday person gyms, you just need to look for what you are looking for.

And yes people in Europe and Asia go to gyms too.

The biggest difference I found in Europe was in Holland and Belgium after driving around for 5 days I saw one McDonalds and that's it for fast food the entire time. They don't have restaurants like we do everywhere.

No amount of activity is going to solve America's problem. They would literally have to do hours and hours of hardcore/intense cardio to burn off their insane caloric surplus.

They need to go to the gym, sure. But by far the biggest problem is what they're eating, and the amount of what they're eating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
emphasis of sugar in food, eating out culture, mammoth portions, culture of driving everywhere even if it's a 10 minute walk, "bang for your buck" culture, and the prevalence of a "fat acceptance movement" is going to be a recipe for disaster.

But the real issue is ignorance, everyone has a basic idea of the difference between healthy food and shit food, the information is everywhere people just choose to ignore it.

I really don't think it's as clear cut as some people in this thread want to make it out to be.

I think most people think of healthy food as a bunch of boiled chicken breasts, flavorless salads, and dry granola bars. It's what you see in our media and advertising all the time. "Sub that burger and fries for the healthy option: a chicken salad!" Fuck that noise, salads are miserable.

The concept that healthy foods are unfulfilling and bland and that anything that tastes good is "bad" is pretty well ingrained in most people, I would bet.

Blueingreen

Because with a few exceptions American cities aren't pedestrian friendly, the overwhelming majority of American cities are built to facilitate private transport it's another reason why public transport is profoundly horrendous.

Visit a European city like Barcelona or Copenhagen well structured compact pedestrian friendly city then visit somewhere like L.A. or any other west coast, south western city a huge sprawling mess, everything is spread without reach and public transport is crap,and then it makes sense why everyone drives everywhere.

I really don't think it's as clear cut as some people in this thread want to make it out to be.

I think most people think of healthy food as a bunch of boiled chicken breasts, flavorless salads, and dry granola bars. It's what you see in our media and advertising all the time. "Sub that burger and fries for the healthy option: a chicken salad!" Fuck that noise, salads are miserable.

The concept that healthy foods are unfulfilling and bland and that anything that tastes good is "bad" is pretty well ingrained in most people, I would bet.

On one hand, that. On the other there are people that think a cake is healthy if you add some fruit slices, or that they'll lose weight if they add a protein or Slim fast shake on top of what they already eat.

These ideas are part corporate advertisement, part bad basic education, and part just personal delusion and stubbornness. There is nothing that will tackle all 3 things at the same time

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
On one hand, that. On the other there are people that think a cake is healthy if you add some fruit slices, or that they'll lose weight if they add a protein or Slim fast shake on top of what they already eat.

These ideas are part corporate advertisement, part bad basic education, and part just personal delusion and stubbornness. There is nothing that will tackle all 3 things at the same time

Yeah, or subbing out soda for healthy fruit juice. That one is starting to die off more and more in my personal experience, but still, people have a lot of really bad information ingrained in them by media, advertising, and "conventional wisdom." A little over six years ago I was just as misinformed, so I find it hard to blame each individual for not being more knowledgable. I'm just glad I started down the path of figuring this stuff out before my kids were born.

Lum1n3s

Question, one thing I noticed is that people should be more accepting of fat/overweight people. Is this where the problem lies? I see a lot of it on my FB and that big people should be okay with their weight. I can see as a nice encouragement but health wise should they be accelting of it?

leng jai

Went to theatre today.

My rule is to never buy popcorn combo bc of how expenisive it is for nothing in nutrition.

To be fair if you go to the cinemas and don't buy popcorn did you even really go?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, it's fair to say we have reached a point where an apple or an orange isn't considered a sweet and filling enough treat.

Not

Banned
Yeah, people in other countries don't have time to cook and don't get fat. It's gotta be our quick cheap food options.

Question, one thing I noticed is that people should be more accepting of fat/overweight people. Is this where the problem lies? I see a lot of it on my FB and that big people should be okay with their weight. I can see as a nice encouragement but health wise should they be accelting of it?
Either way, I see it as a distraction.

Of course we should not bully overweight/fat people. That's aside from the point. Yes, we should not be dicks to our fellow human being.

Either way, personally, while I'm mostly vegan now, I very much say as as someone who, especially on the parental side of my family, very much has obesity in my gene pool.

For me, the thing that began slow but sure change in my diet slowly towards veganism was not wanting to have the same end result as many of many of my parental relatives before me.

Greedings

I'd like to add that people need to drink more water. People tend to confuse thirst with hunger. Drink at least 14 glasses of water a day.

lol no. You don't need that much water.

This highlights one of the issues with nutrition, everyone has their own pet bullshit idea, likely taken from some guru who knows fucking nothing.

The definition of fat can include people who are overweight. This stat is just people who are obese. I'm pretty sure the amount of overweight and/or obese americans is pretty high.

Fair point. England has their fair share of 'heavyset' too, though. That's why my mind went more to the obese end of things.

BraXzy

That statistic is insane.

I recently watched the Parks and Rec episode about the size of fast food drinks and I wondered how over the top they'd actually even gone. Sizes over there seem crazy.

Infinite

do you become something like a sex god in the US if you have an average BMI?
Overweight men on average last longer during sex then fitter men

Went to theatre today.

How can you look at one night where people are enjoying themselves at a social event and conclude they are habitually making bad health decisions?

wazoo

How can you look at one night where people are enjoying themselves at a social event and conclude they are habitually making bad health decisions?

No generalization, I often allow myself extras at parties, this is not the reason why US is so fat.

Problem is for US, that people were taught that every day should be a party.

Cynar

Good and Cheap is my favorite cookbook (and it is free!) and shows you can feed a family healthy food for less than the cost of fast food.

The problem i think is time. If families are having to work two full time jobs to make ends meet you don't even have the 30 minutes a day it takes to make healthy meals or the energy/time to exercise.
There's always time. You just need an hour and a half and you can prep meals for the entire week.

Infinite

No generalization, I often allow myself extras at parties, this is not the reason why US is so fat.

Problem is for US, that people were taught that every day should be a party.
Perhaps but look at the posts I was responding to. How could he have safely concluding that everyone in the theatre he saw eating the popcorn combo are habitually making bad health decisions. He couldn't have and it's dumb for him to jump to that assumption.

Jasup

Because with a few exceptions American cities aren't pedestrian friendly, the overwhelming majority of American cities are built to facilitate private transport it's another reason why public transport is profoundly horrendous.

Visit a European city like Barcelona or Copenhagen well structured compact pedestrian friendly city then visit somewhere like L.A. or any other west coast, south western city a huge sprawling mess, everything is spread without reach and public transport is crap,and then it makes sense why everyone drives everywhere.

Of course the thing is that this didn't happen by accident nor is it just inherent progression. Sprawling cities are deliberately planned and built that way. There are ways to correct some of the mistakes made, but that really requires political will in the community to make changes.

A great read on why it's so easy to become obese in America:

https://www.vox.com/2016/8/31/12368246/charts-explain-obesity

Do you know what is the scariest sentence in that article for many people? It's this one:
But increasingly public health experts agree that we are not consciously choosing to overeat.
This is a bit of an anathema to the idea of self-determination, which is central in our modern thinking. It states that we are not in complete control of our lives but are subjected to external compulsions. That is frightening.

Madness

Overweight men on average last longer during sex then fitter men

Now I see why you have more posts than anyone in the thread. It is clear you are pushing your own narrative, otherwise you wouldn't have linked to an article full of half truths with little statistics to back up the claims and is very Pro-HAES. Do you want me to link you to 50 or so university studies on obesity and decreased testosterone levels and sperm counts, or obesity and erectile dysfunction, or how about obesity and the rise in asthma and diabetes. Do you know how much of a massive change it is when you go from obese to being fit? Overweight men is also different from Obese men. When you become fitter overall, you get tired less. But hey, keep doing you. At first I wondered what it was you were trying to achieve and now I realize it.

Infinite

Now I see why you have more posts than anyone in the thread. It is clear you are pushing your own narrative, otherwise you wouldn't have linked to an article full of half truths with little statistics to back up the claims and is very Pro-HAES. Do you want me to link you to 50 or so university studies on obesity and decreased testosterone levels and sperm counts, or obesity and erectile dysfunction, or how about obesity and the rise in asthma and diabetes. Do you know how much of a massive change it is when you go from obese to being fit? Overweight men is also different from Obese men. When you become fitter overall, you get tired less. But hey, keep doing you. At first I wondered what it was you were trying to achieve and now I realize it.
Why don't you take the time dismantle why the study is bullshit instead of coming at me with ad hominems and strawmen?

Please do link those (or the most important ones) because he's clearly cluttering this thread with a pro-HAES agenda.

Infinite

Please do link those (or the most important ones) because he's clearly cluttering this thread with a pro-HAES agenda.
My position in this thread his been clear since I entered it. Obesity is a societal epidemic and I clearly recognize that it's a problem for 40% of our population to be medically obese. Its one we won't solve by blaming solely on individuals. I happily bow out of it if you guys feel a way about my opinions and beliefs not lining up perfectly with yours and you guys want to resort to ad hominems and misrepresenting my positions.

Top Bottom