• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity among US adults reaches all-time high, 40% of adults and 19% of kids

We need to better educate people on nutrition. We need to start in elementary school. Just by cutting soda out of your diet will automatically get you to lose weight from that change alone. We also need to stop telling fat people that they are beautiful because if they feel comfortable while not being able to walk without losing their breath, they will never get healthier. PLUS, I feel if you are considered obese than by default all medical co-pays should be double or triple in cost, all medical procedures should cost double or triple, all medications should automatically cost double or triple, and the same for any surgery. Really show that being obese is a detriment to the health system because it is. It is easier to eat unhealthy than healthy so that simple fact alone proves it is all a choice!!! You chose to eat garbage and refuse to exercise, no one is going to feel bad for you when you develop the list of health issues that comes with being obese.

In the mean time, I will continue to fat shame and make it known how repulsive obese people look- I don't go out of my way to do this, if I'm with some friends and I say something, you might be able to hear it which is the point. And I hope the trend continues that healthier people get the raises or promotions over the obese person. I've yet to meet an obese person who wasn't lazy and a slob in other aspects of their life.

Get help.

Clefargle

I'm glad to move to EU from the US. Broke my high calorie lifestyle and I've lost a lot of weight since coming over and biking/walking everywhere

Nikodemos

I didn't notice that you'd bolded a part of the original post and, for a moment, seriously thought you were calling black women lazy.

Gave me a right good shock that did :p
Calling people 'lazy' is a cheap excuse.

And, as with everything else in the United States nowadays, cheap = garbage.

The amount of posts blaming everything but people choosing not to be active and choosing to eat more than they need to is hilarious.

Can't make people do the right thing.

How do you make time to work out or eat right when you work either two jobs or one job that's 10 hours per day, and have to spend time with your wife, kid, and pet?

One of those things are going to give.

Plum

The only post that needs to be made. People are fat because it's the life style they choose. Simple as that.

People are poor because it's the life style they choose. Simple as that.
People are alcoholics because it's the life style they choose. Simple as that.
People are drug addicts because it's the life style they choose. Simple as that.

I can go on if you want.

"If only people were more active" mostly misses the point. It's not generally exercise that's the problem it's almost entirely dietary.

Yeah you can't lose the 1000 calories surplus you have by exercising.

We need to better educate people on nutrition. We need to start in elementary school. Just by cutting soda out of your diet will automatically get you to lose weight from that change alone. We also need to stop telling fat people that they are beautiful because if they feel comfortable while not being able to walk without losing their breath, they will never get healthier. PLUS, I feel if you are considered obese than by default all medical co-pays should be double or triple in cost, all medical procedures should cost double or triple, all medications should automatically cost double or triple, and the same for any surgery. Really show that being obese is a detriment to the health system because it is. It is easier to eat unhealthy than healthy so that simple fact alone proves it is all a choice!!! You chose to eat garbage and refuse to exercise, no one is going to feel bad for you when you develop the list of health issues that comes with being obese.

In the mean time, I will continue to fat shame and make it known how repulsive obese people look- I don't go out of my way to do this, if I'm with some friends and I say something, you might be able to hear it which is the point. And I hope the trend continues that healthier people get the raises or promotions over the obese person. I've yet to meet an obese person who wasn't lazy and a slob in other aspects of their life.

You have a very big problem, sick help.

"Those poors they are so unmotivated to earn money"

Well this is a place where a large majority of people believe that financial success is completely divorced from motivation and personal responsibility.

Suggesting that some (not all) from lower income groups might not be doing everything they can to improve their health or income status would probably be met with a dismissive suggestion that the poster simply hates poor people.

Would no amount of those 40% of Americans benefit from taking initiative to be more active or tracking their calories on a freely available application that works on a device that almost all Americans have?

For the people who are saying they don't got time should invest in meal prep

Basically you do your food for the week in one day then put them
In microwave containers and put them
In the fridge and freezer so it ain't cutting into your time during the week to cook food

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It entirely misses the point. A hard workout you are lucky to burn 1k calories. You can eat 1k in calories worth of junk food in a couple minutes. Exercise makes you healthier but it’s not a big factor on your weight.

Then why is the US so much worse off than other countries? Basic Human nature doesn’t vary country to country. There have to be external influences.
I mean the average workout doesn't burn anywhere near 1000 calories.

Hell I walk to get everywhere in the neighborhood I live in and even going four miles a day doesn't burn all that much.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Well, that same "lazy" person probably busts their ass working a job or two, managing a home, and raising children.

Not sure why you’re attacking me - I’m agreeing with you. And I’m not talking about a “lazy” person, I’m talking about an actual lazy person.

I mean the average workout doesn't burn anywhere near 1000 calories.

Hell I walk to get everywhere in the neighborhood I live in and even going four miles a day doesn't burn all that much.
Yeah, especially if you are a woman/smaller in stature. And even if it did it wouldn’t be enough to counteract a bad diet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean I think there's still personal accountability there.

I got fat because I stopped giving a shit about whether I was unhealthy and unattractive. I lost 40 pounds and am still cutting them down by actively caring about healthy lifestyle choices.

That said there are certainly environmental factors considering the relative ease in obtaining calorie dense food.

How do you make time to work out or eat right when you work either two jobs or one job that's 10 hours per day, and have to spend time with your wife, kid, and pet?

One of those things are going to give.

Family walks are good. The dog even enjoys them.

If you're working 10 hours a day, surely there's another 6 that aren't taken up by sleep. Even cut that in half for a commute and 3 hours is enough to prepare a healthy cheap meal and go for a walk together. It actually would probably be beneficial to the family as a whole.

Infinite

Well this is a place where a large majority of people believe that financial success is completely divorced from motivation and personal responsibility.

Suggesting that some (not all) from lower income groups might not be doing everything they can to improve their health or income status would probably be met with a dismissive suggestion that the poster simply hates poor people.

Would no amount of those 40% of Americans benefit from taking initiative to be more active or tracking their calories on a freely available application that works on a device that almost all Americans have?
First of all, who are most people here? I haven't seen any argued that financial success is COMPLETELY divorced from motivation and personal responsibility just the same as no one in this thread is arguing that the obesity epidemic has zero to do with those two things. I believe you're attacking a straw man here.

So you propose to systematically eliminate obese people for being obese? What kind of mentality is that? That's just disgusting.

RDreamer

Pretty incredible how many gaffer love jumping straight to the bootstraps argent when it comes to health.

It's strange, especially when you consider gaffers seem to understand statistical mitigation with regard to gun control.

Obviously people can pull themselves up with their bootstraps and become healthy. They can, but when you have 40% of the population not doing that then it's no longer an individual problem. It's the country's problem to try and solve. 40% tells me it's something systemic.

Angry Grimace

I don't buy the argument that someone "doesn't have time" to eat healthier. You can eat the same things you eat now, just less of them. The problem is that people literally pay no attention to portions which is why a tracking app is so helpful.

Infinite

First of all, who are most people here? I haven't seen any argued that financial success is COMPLETELY divorced from motivation and personal responsibility just the same as no one in this thread is arguing that the obesity epidemic has zero to do with those two things. I believe you're attacking a straw man here.

Not sure why you’re attacking me - I’m agreeing with you. And I’m not talking about a “lazy” person, I’m talking about an actual lazy person.
I think we agree? But I'm just adding that that mythical lazy fatass is probably taking care of their responsibilities they set themselves up with.

I got fat because I stopped giving a shit about whether I was unhealthy and unattractive. I lost 40 pounds and am still cutting them down by actively caring about healthy lifestyle choices.

Same here. I stopped caring about my health (and really just stopped paying attention to my health/diet) and gained a lot of weight. Once I decided to count calories and pay attention to what I was actually eating not only was it eye opening to how bad my previous diet was but the weight also started coming off.

StAidan

Not exactly an obesity story, but...

When I got married almost a decade ago, I was basically at my ideal weight of 150lbs at 5'9" height. In the years that followed, I ended up in a slow decline in health that I largely attribute to poor eating choices (even though my family eats far healthier than the average American diet). At the beginning of this year, I had a definite "dad bod" at 175lbs. I wasn't happy about it or anything, but I was definitely lazy about making any positive changes. I made all the usual excuses about not having time, not having money, etc., but looking back on it now, the most important barrier was me.

In March, the catalyzing event occurred. My dentist informed me of a cavity, the first I'd ever had. Now, this by itself was somewhat of a wake-up call about how I was destroying myself (being overweight was only one problem I'd developed). However, my wife -- who is one of these staunch whole foods advocates -- was also adamant that I attempt to remineralize my tooth through diet changes rather than getting my cavity filled (obviously what my dentist wanted).

Long story short, my diet changes partly involved the 100% elimination of sugar, and probably 90-95% of grains that had been in my diet before. Over the course of 6 months, not only did my tooth heal itself, I lost all 25lbs of blubber that I had gained, and to speak in generalities, many of my other health problems have cleared up too.

Now that I have a certain amount of dietary freedom again, I like being able to partake in a bowl of ice cream occasionally. But the most important thing is that I've formed new eating habits -- a course correction, of sorts, that has led me to a new normal. My inclination is no longer toward the stuff I was eating before.

All that to say, while American obesity is certainly not a single-factor issue, I do believe the dominant factor is our culture itself -- combined with humanity's natural inclination to resist changes that upset our day-to-day lives in any significant way.

How's the rest of the world fighting this problem?

Not eating like Americans?

[it's quite easy]

In all seriousness though, this is quite concerning...

It seems mostly tied to the North American ideal of convenience though, we eat out for convenience [and when you eat out folks, your portion size, salt levels, and fat levels are WAY higher than they should be - 8 years in the restaurant industry TRUST me], and when we eat in we ALSO eat for convenience [take away / take out, frozen foods, processed foods, soda, etc].

If you can get a handle on cooking for yourself, and not eating foods made mostly of sugar and/or highly processed flour [ie - processed foods], you can probably beat obesity pretty easily.

Oh, and walk for 15/20 minutes twice a day, or even better, lift weights for 30 minutes 4 days a week [then you'll be ripped].

I just want this to end honestly, obesity is the saddest epidemic - makes humans collectively look like fucking idiots.

Long story short, my diet changes partly involved the 100% elimination of sugar, and probably 90-95% of grains that had been in my diet before. Over the course of 6 months, not only did my tooth heal itself, I lost all 25lbs of blubber that I had gained, and to speak in generalities, many of my other health problems have cleared up too.

YES DUDE!

grains = carbs = sugar.

we eat WAY TOO MUCH FUCKING SUGAR in general, and by that I'm mostly referring to grains [bread, i'm looking at you mother fucker].

this ONE change [or two changes, depending on how you look at it] is guaranteed to get people on the path to a healthy weight.

and yeah, it IS a cultural problem, much like you say - one created by the work-too-hard and as a result have no time for cooking North American lifestyle / ideals / culture.

It entirely misses the point. A hard workout you are lucky to burn 1k calories. You can eat 1k in calories worth of junk food in a couple minutes. Exercise makes you healthier but it's not a big factor on your weight.

lol, wtf is this bullshit?

exercise is 50% of the equation, diet is the other 50%.

it doesn't fucking matter how many calories you burn DURING your work-out, it's the lingering caloric burn that a proper workout initiates throughout the rest of your day [meaning, immediately and long after your work-out] that really makes the difference.

this is why science has moved away from suggesting cardio as a regular form of exercise, because traditional cardio ONLY burns calories while you're at the gym, whereas weight-lifting and interval training [a form of short-burst high-intensity bouts of cardio] cause your metabolism to burn away at your energy LONG after your work-out is technically over.

again, i just have to lol at this comment, fucking LOL.

Infinite

I don't buy the argument that someone "doesn't have time" to eat healthier. You can eat the same things you eat now, just less of them. The problem is that people literally pay no attention to portions which is why a tracking app is so helpful.
It's easier to control portions and what you put in your food when you buy things fresh and cook it yourself. I'm not convinced that the person who's working a 10 hour day, driving back and forth to work, and raising kids is gonna have the time to consistently cook a meal every night

Nikodemos

Now that I have a certain amount of dietary freedom again, I like being able to partake in a bowl of ice cream occasionally.
But the thing you and many others overlook is that, 50 years ago, that bowl of ice cream did not contain roughly 50 grams of sugar. It only contained about 25.
So you could eat that ice cream bowl more than just 'occasionally'.

If people were to eat foods prepared to their original 1950 recipes they'd be absolutely shocked at how different those taste.

Angry Grimace

The problem isn't that "there's too much sugar/salt/fat/carbs" -- it's calories.

Set a number and don't go over it. You can still eat whatever you want. People like to make it complicated or to believe there's some "food hack" out there.

It's easier to control portions and what you put in your food when you buy things fresh and cook it yourself. I'm not convinced that the person who's working a 10 hour day, driving back and forth to work, and raising kids is gonna have the time to consistently cook a meal every night

You don't need to cook a meal every night. Don't eat the entirety of the thing you bought.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I think we agree? But I'm just adding that that mythical lazy fatass is probably taking care of their responsibilities they set themselves up with.

I dunno, there’s plenty of them who don’t. But you’re right, it’s facetious to generalise.

I still think that there’s a trend between education and health, but one doesn’t necessarily cause the other.

Plum

If this is what being thin turns you into then I'm deleting My Fitness Pal right now.

Infinite

The problem isn't that "there's too much sugar/salt/fat/carbs" -- it's calories.

Set a number and don't go over it. You can still eat whatever you want. People like to make it complicated or to believe there's some "food hack" out there.

You don't need to cook a meal every night. Don't eat the entirety of the thing you bought.
Every night, every other night every two nights every week. What ever.

RDreamer

What kind of wacky bubble do you live in? I've met a lot of obese people that worked their fucking asses off in other ways. Hell, for a lot of them that's why they were obese. They used food to comfort after putting in their two jobs worth of work.

Dice//

Banned

Ignoring the stupid shit about paying premiums for surgeries because you're overweight; fat shaming is still incredibly hurtful and send an awful message. Furthermore the reasons for going "body positive" is because some people weigh little, some people weigh more (yes obesity is unhealthy), but it's about the stuff you can't really change or the fact we only really find "one shape" acceptable when bodies are much more diverse.

Also you haven't really presented a solution besides being a dick when there are way better solution to this ongoing issue.

Bodybuilders dont cook every day, they cook a weeks worth of meals in one go.

Lord Fagan

What the fuck is this fascist noise?

Holy shit I rarely get this triggered but I'd knock you the fuck out if I was chilling with one of my overweight friends and overheard you randomly fatshaming people.

Angry Grimace

I once wrote a joke essay in undergrad about how we could solve the drug problem by putting all drug offenders in jail for 20 years for every offense. I knew it was ridiculous I just thought it was funny.

That's what this post feels like.

StAidan

But the thing you and many others overlook is that, 50 years ago, that bowl of ice cream did not contain roughly 50 grams of sugar. It only contained about 25.
So you could eat that ice cream bowl more than just 'occasionally'.

If people were to eat foods prepared to their original 1950 recipes they'd be absolutely shocked at how different those taste.

Oh, no doubt. One related anecdote: My wife makes birthday cakes from scratch for our kids, sweetened with a bit of raw honey rather than straight sugar, and while everyone in our house *loves* it, my kids' little friends flatly refuse to eat the stuff. Like, it's plenty sweet to me and my kids. But other people just can't stand it.

Another side note, many people I know have complimented me on my weight loss, and I'm always happy to relate the story to them. But you know what? Not one of them is interested in going through that change themselves. Like I said, as a rule, folks are inclined to stay whatever course they're in right now. Too much effort to change.

Dice//

Banned
I can't think of a worse argument for why regulations such as the sugar tax are bad than "they treat adults like children!!!"

My main takeaway point is that if trends continue and people (or adults) can't control themselves then it might be wise to step in on a federal level and impose laws against incredibly unhealthy diets.

I used kids because it's easier to live in their mentality and enjoy eating a sleeve of cookies, but it just doesn't work as you get older and realize what you eat has an impact on your body.

But I knew saying "kids" would upset people, but here we are and the problem is getting worse and that'd be the opposite of how to advertise a new campaign (or whatever) to introduce food legislation... but bad foods have their hooks in us, and 'growing up' doesn't really seem to make us that much wiser about it, especially in the face of food companies still ramming high-sugar/fat/starch foods into our diets.

Have these soda taxes actually accomplished anything?

If anything the campaigns against smoking should be a model. They seem to have been effective in slowly reducing smoking rates.

The problem.is that there is not just one culprit in obesity. It's a total lifestyle change. Unlike quitting smoking it is not just simply "quit cheeseburgers" or "quit soda" that will fix it.

This is true, warnings don't always work and folks can still be a little oblivious with how much it affects them. Then I thing I said about about eliminating giant sizes still applies though; no one needs 40+ ounces of soda.
And yeah what you're saying is fine, lifestyle is important (park further away, take a walk, hit the gym, smoke less, i dunno, take two steps at a time than walking one a time, whatever), but I feel it's also important to realize how important diet is; yes lifestyle change is important, but please don't underestimate the importance of a changed diet in that role. Unless you're bulking up, a diet change and eliminating foods high in fat and sugar or at least curbing it is going to be one of the main ways to slim down.

I eat cheeseburgers, I just don't go for two patties.
I eat ice cream, but I don't get the large cone.
I drink soda, but usually I just split a can with my boyfriend instead on pizza nights.
Etc.

Plum

Nah that's just a strong case of being a jackass with lack of empathy and potential sociopath sprinkled on top.

People are assholes whether they are thin or overweight.

Ha, I wasn't meaning to imply that I thought all thin people were like that, and I don't think that when I've lost the weight I'd be like that. I just hate that most fat shamers are those who have more than likely never felt what being obese actually feels like, it's just despicable behaviour to me to think that 'shaming' is a valid way to fix this issue.

BajiBoxer

Banned

You're just doing something that is completely ineffective (and probably makes the problem worse) while making others feel bad. Why?

Got to move.
I've eaten pretty shitty all my life but I've had jobs where I'm moving more than half my day and have always exercised for 20-30 min 3 times a week and have stayed petty lean. That is until recently when I got laid off and the depression that came with it has me working out once every couple of weeks instead if I'm lucky. Same shitty diet with much worse results.
Not telling people what they don't already know. Huge portions and low nutrition values everywhere but we just don't move enough. Whoever is reading this probably works at a desk all day and I bet nearly all your friends do too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Everyone is well aware of which foods they should eat and which they shouldn't.
Almost every food available has the guided daily amount listed on it.

The truth is people are becoming increasingly obese due to unhealthy food tasting good and general laziness with regards to exercise and food preparation (easier to buy takeaways and microwave meals than cook your own).

No, actually, most people have no idea which foods they should eat and which they shouldn't. Sure, everyone knows that fast food is supposedly a bad thing, but they have no idea why. Most people think fat is scary and whole grains are healthy. It's complete insanity. Your point about "guided daily amount" being listed on everything is part of the problem. Before obesity was a thing, no one counted calories or cared about daily servings or doing any other kind of calculations for their daily intake of food. They just ate things that didn't make them fat in their daily life.

You are pretty sure, and pretty wrong.A combination of bad carbs, bad fat and salt is the problem. Not one particular macronutrient.

Eating higher quality foods will obviously benefit everyone, but in our current environment, simply reducing carb intake will dramatically improve health for almost everyone who has any degree of overweight or obesity.

This is wrong and the sooner people realize it the better. We do not eat calories. That's simply a unit of measurement of potential energy as measured in a calorimeter. It says nothing about what happens to the food when it enters our bodies. We are not furnaces. We eat nutrients, not calories.

Got to move.
I've eaten pretty shitty all my life but I've had jobs where I'm moving more than half my day and have always exercised for 20-30 min 3 times a week and have stayed petty lean. That is until recently when I got laid off and the depression that came with it has me working out once every couple of weeks instead if I'm lucky. Same shitty diet with much worse results.
Not telling people what they don't already know. Huge portions and low nutrition values everywhere but we just don't move enough. Whoever is reading this probably works at a desk all day and I bet nearly all your friends do too.

Moving isn't burning nearly enough calories to be effective by itself.

You might have had a reasonably bad diet coupled with a fast metabolism which allowed you're exercise to put you on a caloric balance. That must've been a couple of hundred calories in excess at the most.

If you're eating more and worse than that, exercise won't be as effective and will only partially offset that excess of calories.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In the UK, McDonald’s made some pretty big changes to menus over the past 10 yeas or so - seemingly in response to a desire for more healthy options.

Things that never used to be on the menu - pure orange juice, water, porridge for breakfast, fruit bags or carrot bags as sides for happy meals, salads. Yes they still sell Big Macs but at least they’re offering a broader choice than they used to.

So while I'm sure fast food giants are at least somewhat responsible due to the cheap and easy availability of unhealthy food, you also have to look at the local market - if it wasn’t wanted they wouldn’t be making it.

No, actually, most people have no idea which foods they should eat and which they shouldn't. Sure, everyone knows that fast food is supposedly a bad thing, but they have no idea why. Most people think fat is scary and whole grains are healthy. It's complete insanity. Your point about "guided daily amount" being listed on everything is part of the problem. Before obesity was a thing, no one counted calories or cared about daily servings or doing any other kind of calculations for their daily intake of food. They just ate things that didn't make them fat in their daily life.

Eating higher quality foods will obviously benefit everyone, but in our current environment, simply reducing carb intake will dramatically improve health for almost everyone who has any degree of overweight or obesity.

They know pizza, burgers, fried chicken, soda, and cookies are bad for them. They know fruits and vegetables are good for them.

People can download MyFitnessPal and have a pretty good idea of what they need, the problem is that they dont care. Fat, sugar, and salt taste good and they'll keep earing it until they cant afford it anymore.

If the government doesnt step in the obesity rate will continue to rise.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Isn't the problem that fast food is cheaper than actual fruits and vegetables?

If some guy can go buy a burger and fries for $2, vs spending $10 having to buy all the ingredients to make a salad, then where's the incentive in eating healthy?

And with cost of living going up, with wages going down, the trend will only continue where people don't have time to cook proper meals because they're working more hours at a job.

I think this is basically it. I love the small organic grocery store in town (not that I’m all organic or anything) but if I were to get groceries there it’d be $200 a week. Even at the regular store we spend $80 a week or so. If I went to McDonalds every day I could spend like $30 a week on food.

Top Bottom