• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity among US adults reaches all-time high, 40% of adults and 19% of kids

Actually a good on-the-go solution is to split off some of your dinner for tomorrow's lunch; 2 meals for 1 prep. That way you don't have to spend an entire sunday on meal prep (that said I do know quite a lot of people who do this anyways).

lol, you're missing the point.

the type of brain that can actually accomplish boring shit like this in their life [much to their advantage] is definitely not common.

you're NEVER going to get me to do meal prep... EVER.

[i cook 99% of my meals, and i'm fit as all fucking hell, but your level of projection here is quite ignorant]

Sarek

Pretty incredible how many gaffers love jumping straight to the bootstraps argument when it comes to health.

As someone who was obese, and then lost a lot of weight, when it comes to your personal health it is pretty much all up to you. Sure you can, and should, educate people, but in the end everyone has to keep making the healthy choices daily themselves.

still hanging in there, 5' 10", 160lbs.
Whoa pretty much the same height weight.

Reading this I didn't want to believe it till I visited my relatives in the south/mid west. Possibly the nicest tallest and biggest people I have met that tried to stuff me with holiday foods. Not sure if that was how they ate everyday. When I got back to Cali I was craving greens and lighter foods.

Dice//

Banned
lol, you're missing the point.

the type of brain that can actually accomplish boring shit like this in their life [much to their advantage] is definitely not common.

you're NEVER going to get me to do meal prep... EVER.

[i cook 99% of my meals, and i'm fit as all fucking hell, but your level of projection here is quite ignorant]

The hell? I didn't mean anything rude and I'm sorry if it did. I was trying to be friendly and offer small advice not be intentionally ignorant about...something.
I definitely can't park it and cook all day, I do the thing I suggested the first time because I'm not much of a chef nor do I like the prep time for some meals.

Infinite

As someone who was obese, and then lost a lot of weight, when it comes to your personal health it is pretty much all up to you. Sure you can, and should, educate people, but in the end everyone has to keep making the healthy choices daily themselves.
As a society we set up an environment to make it easier for people to make good choices. For example we don't just let people drive cars and depend on them to be safe drives. We thoroughly educate on driving, mandate insurance, introduce all sort of traffic laws, and punish people who break while deterring others from doing so.

20 nuggets from Burger King is only $3 how can you say no to that

UK price for 20 nuggets at McDonalds is £5 or $6.60. We also have 20% VAT for fast food restaurants so without the tax it works out to $5.30.

Burger King have very few outlets here so I used McDonalds

well, after the apocalypse come and we have to turn to cannibalism, at least those who live in the US will have some easy prey to hunt for.

Ketch

damn, I honestly thought it was getting better.

do you think the idea of a healthy lifestyle is at least getting a lot more popular in the last 10 years?

maybe I just never noticed when I was younger.

I guess it's worth pointing out that unsurprisingly Michelle Obama's healthy school lunch program was rolled back earlier this year

Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue took steps Monday to roll back healthy school lunch standards promoted by former first lady Michelle Obama in one of his first regulatory acts.

In an interim final rule, aimed at giving schools more flexibility, Perdue and his department are postponing further sodium reductions for at least three years and allowing schools to serve non-whole grain rich products occasionally as well as 1 percent flavored milk.

Sodium levels in school lunches now must average less than 1,230 milligrams in elementary schools; 1,360 mg in middle schools; and 1,420 mg in high school.

Before Perdue’s rule, schools were expected to reduce sodium even further to average less than 935 milligrams in elementary schools, 1035 milligrams in middle school lunches and 1,080 in high school lunches by the week by July 1, 2017.
Further reductions were set to take effect by July 1, 2022.

The School Nutrition Association, which represents nutrition directors at schools across the country, was quick to praise Perdue. The group has been lobbying Congress for more flexibility in what the have called “overly prescriptive regulations.”

SNA claims less kids are buying lunch because they no longer like the food and schools are being forced to spend more money on lunches that largely end up in trash.

The former standards required all grains, including croutons and the breading on chicken patties, to be whole grain rich.

Health groups, meanwhile, claim the standards are working and that 99 percent of schools are in compliance.

“Improving children’s health should be a top priority for the USDA, and serving more nutritious foods in schools is a clear-cut way to accomplish this goal,” the American Heart Association CEO Nancy Brown said in a statement Friday ahead of USDA’s action.

http://thehill.com/regulation/healt...inding-first-ladys-school-lunch-program-rules

Sarek

As a society we set up an environment to make it easier for people to make good choices. For example we don't just let people drive cars and depend on them to be safe drives. We thoroughly educate on driving, mandate insurance, introduce all sort of traffic laws, and punish people who break while deterring others from doing so.

Of course, but for starters I live in Europe, and our approach to food in general seems healthier here compared to the US. Still we got our fair share of obese people. It is probably easier to keep your weight in control here, but even if you only eat the healthiest foods in the world you can still become obese if you aren't keeping yourself in check. No matter what the responsibility ultimately falls on your own shoulders.

Sunster

damn, I honestly thought it was getting better.

do you think the idea of a healthy lifestyle is at least getting a lot more popular in the last 10 years?

maybe I just never noticed when I was younger.

people buy low cal foods now but those are still high in sugar.

Infinite

Of course, but for starters I live in Europe, and our approach to food in general seems healthier here compared to the US. Still we got our fair share of obese people. It is probably easier to keep your weight in control here, but even if you only eat the healthiest foods in the world you can still become obese if you aren't keeping yourself in check. No matter what the responsibility ultimately falls on your own shoulders.

when 40% of your population is obese one can safely conclude its a systemic and societal issue. Personal responsibility alone literally can not address and solve such an epidemic. This is like looking at a problem like the average black family needing 228 years to reach the wealth of the average white family today and saying that black people are just lazy and dont work hard enough.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Among US-GAF, home cooking is a rarity. Where I come from, it's the norm and home cooked meals is what we eat 350+ days in the year.

Also, tax all the garbage.

Zoe

I guess it's worth pointing out that unsurprisingly Michelle Obama's healthy school lunch program was rolled back earlier this year

http://thehill.com/regulation/healt...inding-first-ladys-school-lunch-program-rules

“If kids aren't eating the food, and it’s ending up in the trash, they aren't getting any nutrition – thus undermining the intent of the program.”

SNA claims less kids are buying lunch because they no longer like the food and schools are being forced to spend more money on lunches that largely end up in trash.

This matches what I've heard anecdotally. Strict standards aren't going to work if the kids can still find ways around them.

KillLaCam

Banned
Here I am 5'9 and like 130. I'd like to be around 145 but I kickbox and have a SUPER fast metabolism. I'd have to eat sooooooooooooooooo much to gain anything.

Among US-GAF, home cooking is a rarity. Where I come from, it's the norm and home cooked meals is what we eat 350+ days in the year.

Yeah i eat at home for like 2 meals a week lol

Screw fat taxes

Cub3h

Banned
UK price for 20 nuggets at McDonalds is £5 or $6.60. We also have 20% VAT for fast food restaurants so without the tax it works out to $5.30.

Burger King have very few outlets here so I used McDonalds

BK are expanding quite a lot in the UK lately, and they do 9 nuggets for 99p with their app. Fast food can be super cheap here as well.

Not only is it a rarity, it is looked down upon. There was a poster shaming people who cook and telling them to leave it to the professionals only

I'm fit and I don't want to be paying no fat tax.

Yeah, we already pay too much fat tax in the form of healthcare premiums.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The solution that I arrived at for cheap, quality food was to buy a beefy fishing rod and head to the beach.
I can catch my own bait in about a minute with a lure and then reel in fish non-stop. Oceanic fish species are as dumb as rocks. I keep the ones that are easiest to debone, which tends to be the larger ones.

No. God no.

antonz

Healthy Food is viewed as a premium item even if its ingredients would be cheaper than the less healthy shit.

Therefore because its "healthy" that means prices for those items need to be increased several hundred percent which means people who more and more live paycheck to paycheck are priced into eating the unhealthy shit.

There is no single solution. You can blame sugar for a lot absolutely but there is a lot more to the problem than sugar. Industries actively work against the wellbeing of people and Government sits back and nods happily as those lobbying checks come in.

The government stepping in and subsidizing corn while issuing a bunch of bullshit nutrition guidelines is what got us here in the first place.

I'm like the least libertarian person out there, but the US government has been nothing but trouble when it comes to this issue.

120 at 5'7" is a perfectly healthy weight.

Just because they messed it up a long time ago doesnt mean they cant try again.

Fruit, Vegetables, Fish, and chicken should be heavily subsidized. You need to make it economically unviable for people to eat fast food and junk 3 meals a day, Soda, sweet tea, fruit juices, etc needs to be priced like wine.

Foods high in added sugar and sodium should be very expensive. Something they can only afford to eat once a week, if that.

Kas

Oddly enough, the area I live in isn't too heavy set, and I live in NH. Could be all the winter and summer sports, but I've also noticed a pattern as I interact with a good amount of both middle-class and borderline poverty people.

Somehow, a lot of your poorer people are usually heavier. Shocking, I know. But even back 3 years ago, when I was almost 300 pounds and we were so poor, there was barely any fresh food in the house. But a combo of me exercising, learning how to cook healthy from scratch, and having a job where I can afford all this healthy food made me down to 185. It's a combination of all numerous factors that affect the obesity issue in this country. You need a concentrated effort to fix all these at the same time

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

http://thehill.com/regulation/health...-program-rules
Obligatory
Simpsons_-_Republicans.jpg

This matches what I've heard anecdotally. Strict standards aren't going to work if the kids can still find ways around them.
Anecdotes vs stats?
Health groups, meanwhile, claim the standards are working and that 99 percent of schools are in compliance.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just because they messed it up a long time ago doesnt mean they cant try again.

Fruit, Vegetables, Fish, and chicken should be heavily subsidized. You need to make it economically unviable for people to eat fast food and junk 3 meals a day, Soda, sweet tea, fruit juices, etc needs to be priced like wine.

Foods high in added sugar and sodium should be very expensive. Something they can only afford to eat once a week, if that.
Fast food is already a terrible value. For example, a Big Mac meal costs $5.99. You can get a pound of chicken and a pound of potatoes for less than that.

I think raising the prices would just make poor people even more poor unless they are already motivated to change their diets.

Gallbaro

Banned
As someone who has lost 90 lbs, gained 80 pounds, then lost 50 pounds, over the course of a decade.

I am tall so I hide it well, but shit's had in the USA. Large, cheap portions everywhere. Food addiction is real.

Also when I am at my European office, the feeling of being full comes much easier than it does in the US. Cooking in animal fats probably helps as compared to the carcinogen that is vegetable oils.

Mental health is an aspect as well. I know that when I am real depressed, I tend to eat everything in sight. I gained a lot of weight when Trump won. I have since lost most of it, but up and down isn't good either.

Haines

Banned
Mental health is an aspect as well. I know that when I am real depressed, I tend to eat everything in sight. I gained a lot of weight when Trump won. I have since lost most of it, but up and down isn't good either.

Thats why people eat salty snacks. Anti depressants

As someone who has lost 90 lbs, gained 80 pounds, then lost 50 pounds, over the course of a decade.

I am tall so I hide it well, but shit's had in the USA. Large, cheap portions everywhere.

Yeah, I’m part of the lost 50, gained 40, lost 10 club. I need to get back to where I was near my low. It is just too easy to eat/drink poorly. I do a lot of my own cooking and shopping, but sometimes it is really easy to grab something bad. I’m also living in a new area and trying to get out and do stuff, but it seems a lot of the adult activities always seem to revolve around some sort of eating or drinking event.

Cappa

Banned
Aren't fast food chains like McDonald's etc doing really bad in the US thats why they're doing expansion in the middle east etc? Weird that obesity is going up.

entremet

Aren't fast food chains like McDonald's etc doing really bad in the US thats why they're doing expansion in the middle east etc? Weird that obesity is going up.
They’re still doing very well. McDonalds is just not growing at the rate the want. Infinite growth and all. Moreover, it faces more competition from Fast Casual chains like Chipotle, Five Guys, Panera, etc.

Madness

Wow, with a percentage that high and the majority of gaffers being from the US now I understand why the fast food threads get so many pages.

I had a thread earlier this year where the OECD predicted in 10 yeas, America will be a majority obese country, over 50% of all people aged 15+ will be OBESE. Not just and overweight but obese. Over 70% will be overweight.

To think this all happened in less than 3 decades. People eating 700 more calories per day now than in 1970. The glamorization and normalization of obesity with things like fat acceptance, BBW and plus size modeling. Fat is now called curvy, husky, plus sized, etc.

Donald Trump also reversed Michelle Obama's directives to reduce childhood obesity and junk food in schools.

Top Bottom