• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

As of this morning, the plan is for Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks for the WWE Raw Women's Championship inside Hell in a Cell to close out tonight's Hell in a Cell pay-per-view.

Unless there is a last minute change, this will be the first time in the WWE PPV history that a women's match will close a pay-per-view broadcast.

As I wrote several weeks ago, there was no excuse for this match not to close the show. Kudos to WWE and the women involved for changing the game.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=105661

Ithil

Hosted by the idiot known as Byron Saxton and Mick Foley in not wanting to upset his cash cow mode? Should be exciting stuff happen.

Let's remember Bryan on the most recent Talking Smack

"3 Hell in a Cell matches. More is more? Is that the phrase? More is more? More is better? There's more that's better? Do you know what I think they should do, is they should make it 4 hours, maybe 5 hours. With 6 Hell in a Cell matches. Yeah, no, I- and, and the winner of all 6 Hell in a Cell matches gets to be champion of the galaxy! That's what I want to happen."

"And you get the championship when Triple H just comes out and beats up everybody else and then puts you on top of then. That's how you become Universal Champion."
Big Burial Bryan casually and politely insulting everyone is half the reason to watch Talking Smack. What are you supposed to do with Saxton?

Tagyhag

Big Burial Bryan casually and politely insulting everyone is half the reason to watch Talking Smack. What are you supposed to do with Saxton?

"W-wow what an awesome RAW tonight!"

"And to the g-general manager of Smackdown, you're a poopyhead!"

"Now let's say hello to Roman Reigns as he explains why he's the top dog of the men's division."

The thumbnail for the Universal title match promo is Big Nose and #PhilanthropyIsFuture. Fuck RAW.
But how else would you know who the true main characters of Raw are?
e43be26af6.png

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
It's not just that, I've been looking forward to all the SD PPVs. I just give no shits about this.

Well, SmackDown puts on a good show week to week. Raw doesn't. The last Raw PPV was Clash of Champions, which was trash, too.

It's a gimmick PPV, which is hard to get excited for, too. None of these matches feel like they need the cell, but here we are with three of them. I guess the closest is the women's match, but they're not even billing that as a blood feud and more of a "first time ever" gimmick.

Basically, yeah, who cares.

Kinda lame if true.

Women finally main eventing a PPV should be a significant moment that is built as such. Not something done randomly with no reason for a feud that will probably keep going for another 3 months.

If this match built as the blow off between Sasha and Charlotte and the feud was super hot then yeah. Go for it. But right now the feud is lame. The matches are meh and the build has been more about bragging about how awesome it is to be in a cage then the actual rivalry

The funny thing about this whole "women in the main event" thing is that I'm easily more excited about the Becky/Alexa match in Glasgow than I am for the HIAC match tonight. And I fully expect that match to be the main event of that Smackdown show. That feud and match feels important not because they've constantly told us it's important, but because they've actually put in the work and told the story to make it feel important and like it matters.

"Willingness to tell the story" vs. "throw everything at the viewer at once and tell them how they should feel" is the key difference that makes SD just a more enjoyable show to watch.

Rodeo Clown

I had to look it up because I couldn't actually name one other match in this card besides the "main events" and good lord. Six man cruiserweight tag, another boring ass New Day match, Enzo and Big Cass vs the Club, TJP vs Kendrick, Bayley vs Dana.

Gross.

The funny thing about this whole "women in the main event" thing is that I'm easily more excited about the Becky/Alexa match in Glasgow than I am for the HIAC match tonight. And I fully expect that match to be the main event of that Smackdown show. That feud and match feels important not because they've constantly told us it's important, but because they've actually put in the work and told the story to make it feel important and like it matters.

"Willingness to tell the story" vs. "throw everything at the viewer at once and tell them how they should feel" is the key difference that makes SD just a more enjoyable show to watch.

Yeah.

Becky and Bliss totally are not as talented as Sasha and Flair but god damn if that feud is not miles better thanks to better straight forward good guy vrs bad guy booking and a complete lack of Stephanie McMahon / Mick Foley sucking the life from it.

Can't wait for the backstage interview with Sasha where she says that "this is for all the little girls who wanted to be in a cell when they grew up"

Yeah.

Becky and Bliss totally are not as talented as Sasha and Flair but god damn if that feud is not miles better thanks to better straight forward good guy vrs bad guy booking and a complete lack of Stephanie McMahon / Mick Foley sucking the life from it.

I'd argue Becky is just as talented as them both, but I know that's an unpopular opinion.

Either way, there's no reason that SD should have the more interesting women's division as a whole given the talent disparity. It's why I'm hoping beyond hope that Asuka ends up on SD.

Rodeo Clown

Yeah.

The part where Shane and Bryan are rarely on SmackDown proper helps that show so much. (I mean, Shane has a real job, so it's not like he can be there week to week, but still.) The stories feel a lot more organic and straightfoward and are actually about the wrestlers, a really weird concept for Raw, which is still totally about Steph and Hunter first and foremost.

Do you think they'll surpass the most horrid spot in HiaC history tonight?
I am of course referring to having someone's head shoved up Big Show's Arse.

And by reliving this PPV I have been reminded of THE HIGHLANDERS
I'M ROBBIE!

Top Bottom