• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The lack of leaderboards on the first OlliOlli killed any motivation I had to go for high scores. So glad we got them at launch for this game.

Also, this game needs an ultimate career score leaderboard. The lack of that kills motivation to go back and get good scores on those levels.

Shaneus

Has cloud syncing improved at all for this game? In comparison to the original, where it was all completely automated. I don't know which platform has the more recent save and it's frustrating.

Renpatsu

Just finished Titan Sky 5 Pro and cleared every challenge. I even made it into the Top 10 but some of you guys are too good ;)

Here's my run. I could add a few more spins and grind switches but it was already pretty intense :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJz2CIVM7I
That's a nice run. Good job.

Once I hit the ceiling optimising for spins and grind switches I began introducing 720 flips and Kickflip Underflips into my combos on a more consistent basis. I've just about hit the ceiling for that too though, but there's still so much room left to improve on.

Heel

Just finished Titan Sky 5 Pro and cleared every challenge. I even made it into the Top 10 but some of you guys are too good ;)

Here's my run. I could add a few more spins and grind switches but it was already pretty intense :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJz2CIVM7I

ib0Kifuca7XQmW.gif

Mr. Patch

I've been addicted to this game, but I can't consistently hit revert manuals for shit. I feel like that's been stopping me from increasing my scores.

Also, feel free to add me: MrPatch91

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've been addicted to this game, but I can't consistently hit revert manuals for shit. I feel like that's been stopping me from increasing my scores.

Also, feel free to add me: MrPatch91

This is where I'm at at the moment, just need to nail down those revert manuals and I'll feel much better about nailing those bigger scores a bit more consistently.

Also, the trophy for all skatepark levels didn't trigger for me yesterday after doing the revert manual one. I decided I'd try doing the spins one again and sure enough that triggered it, despite having already done them all. Bit odd but it was only a minute of playing to get it to work properly.

I really really wanna go for Plat on this game but shit that's gonna be fucking difficult.

noomi

This game does funny things to me, just got the the last section of the game after a grueling and frustrating previous stage.... love the challenge :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Well I've pretty much reached my limit. I can see myself getting to 45m at some point but that's about it. People keep coming up and overtaking me, and the scores above me are insane. I think I'm gonna call it quits. I feel good that I managed to get 4th place for a short time.

Stare-Bear

Banned
For anyone having trouble with revert manuals, the best way I can describe them is as follows:

1. Tap (don't hold!) both the r trigger and the x button at the same time on landing
2. Wait about half a second
3. Press and hold either left or right

Hope this helps! I can land them consistently using this method. My problems came when I continued to hold the trigger on landing, if you make a conscious effort to press and release both it becomes easier.

Are there any guides to scoring? Just like point values for individual tricks, that kind of thing.

Kelthink

Are there any guides to scoring? Just like point values for individual tricks, that kind of thing.

Little things:

1) If you've got enough space at the very beginning of a run, shift yourself into Nollie position (L+R), then do a Bigspin Heel/Flip into a revert into a manual. Bit of a meal, but always worth doing.

2) Always knock out the big tricks where possible (best ones being 720 Flip and Double Laserflip). Add spins onto these for more! They can be done going down slopes, not just off ramps.

3) Grind switches as much as. Try and do these immediately upon grinding. I presume the ones with both L+R (like Darkslide) are worth the most but that's maximum finger acrobatics.

4) Always do revert+manual. Not always possible, but mostly possible.

5) Nothing but perfect!

6) EDIT: More speed means more air also

There's probably other stuff too.

MrS

Banned
I am awful at doing tricks. Is there an idiot guide to doing tricks on this game? A YouTube video, perhaps?

SomTervo

So the OT title made me shrug and say, 'whatever, I've never broken a controller or anything on one, pah'.

An hour into OlliOlli 2 and the left thumbsticks on both of my DS4's are peeling off. Better finally work out how to fit on the add-on pads I got from GAME that time...

Shaneus

Shine3p and I were discussing this. I guess his hunch was right. I figured that you wouldn't be able to consistently trigger the glitch, but I guess I was wrong about that.
Shit, that sucks. At least you told roll7 about it in enough time that they got it patched this early. Suppose it's not too hard for them to find glitchers either, just look for people that have, say more than a 1080 on any combo run.

Kelthink

Shit, that sucks. At least you told roll7 about it in enough time that they got it patched this early. Suppose it's not too hard for them to find glitchers either, just look for people that have, say more than a 1080 on any combo run.

My brother and I came to the conclusion they could reset all scores. Which would suck, but I genuinely wouldn't mind if it gets rid of the fake scores. Might end up being the only way, too.

Renpatsu

If the devs can tell which scores are legitimate that's cool, I look forward to the fix.

In the mean time OlliOlli 2 just got its v1.01 update:
Cross save fix, Age rating fix, and Vita texture fix.

Shaneus

Texture fix? Hopefully that makes some of the visuals more obvious to see where to grind and where to manual. Always find it a bit tricky to track on the Vita.

Also hoping for a more fluid cloud saving method a la the first game.

Renpatsu

So some folks wanted to know how the scoring system works so I began working on that as a break from the leaderboard struggle. This is still a work in progress.

First of all the base score (I say base score, but there are times when it seems closer to a rounded off perfect score) of a given trick is always given in the right hand corner of tiny popout that accompanies each trick you perform. This also doubles as your estimated total combo score.

A trick's base score is affected by your landing, stance, spin, and the amount of air you get (speed does not seem to be a factor - you should use this to your advantage). Even within a Perfect landing there is still room for your score to slightly fluctuate based upon just how perfectly you land (similar to how some rhythm games have a percentage perfect mechanic)

Furthermore the more times you do a trick the more its base score decreases in increments until it hits a hard limit (this seems to be 75% of the base score). So for example a perfect ollie nets you ~189 points, the next ollie nets you ~185, one more ~181, all the way until ~144. It doesn't matter whether you do the same trick in succession or varied throughout your combo (even sloppy versions) as it is counted level-wide.

Now lets move on to the tricks. Wherever possible I have performed these tricks on level flatland.

Ollie/Heelflip/Kickflip (Notes: Ollie is naturally very quick and you can spin more than you otherwise could in a heel or kickflip)
Base score: 100+
Sketchy: ~71
Ok: ~94
Sick: ~142
Perfect: ~189

Frontside/Backside Shove-It
Base score: 300+
Ok: ~189
Sick: ~284
Perfect: ~378

Inward/Varial Heelflip/Hardflip/Shove-It Flip (Note: You'll notice that these tricks are performed in the same manner as the front and backside shove-it, albeit horizontally, and yet net you about double the points)
Base score: 700+
Ok: ~378
Sick: ~568
Perfect: ~757

Frontside/Backside 360 Shove-It/Laserflip/ 360 Flip (Note: I actually couldn't get the timing to land it just ok...)
Base score: 1000+
Sick: ~852
Perfect: ~1136

Dolphin Flip/ Anti-Casper Flip/Impossible
Sick: ~994
Perfect: ~1325

Frontside/Backside 540 Shove-It (Note: I found that at this point on level flatland you're either going to get a sloppy or perfect landing)
Perfect: ~1704

360 Inward Heelflip/360 Hardflip
Perfect: ~1514

Inward Heel Late FS Shove-It/Hardflip Late BS Shove-It (Note: Almost exclusively never ever use these tricks because the motion is so inflexible and the animation is too long - you probably won't be able to get a spin in, severely detracting from its usefulness)
Perfect: ~1893

Frontside/Backside Flip (Note: Technically Frontside/Backside Flip 180s as having the triggers held automatically begins the spin. This is the same for most trigger dependent tricks)
Sick: ~929
Perfect: ~1239

Frontside/Backside Heelflip (Note: If you land this perfectly perfect you will get 2000 points. I've listed 1975 because that is what I get when playing casually)
Ok: ~991
Sick: ~1500
Perfect: ~1975

Frontside/Backside Bigspin
Base score: 2000+
Ok: ~1382
Sick: ~2074
Perfect: ~2777

Bigspin Heel/Bigspin Flip
Base score: 3000+
Sick: ~2351
Perfect: ~3147

Double Heelflip/Kickflip/Shove-It Late Flip/Kickflip Underflip (Note: At this point these tricks really shouldn't or can't be performed on flatland. You will need some air or a bit of a drop to use them effectively. Everyone should endeavour to at least learn these tricks as their motions aren't too far removed from the basic tricks)
Base score: 6000+
Ok: ~3395
Sick: ~5093
Perfect: ~6791

Double Laserflip/720 Flip (Note: I actually think the 720 flip motion can be learnt fairly naturally compared to the double laser. I don't know if that is simply due to the placement of the analog stick lending itself that status)
Base score: 7000+
Sick: ~5433
Perfect: ~7244

That's enough for now. I haven't even gone into all the other tricks, stances and spins in detail yet.

Shaneus

I still can't get switch manuals happening consistently. I think once I get those going smoothly I'll be happy, but man it's frustrating when it only seems to happen half the time.

Nyx

Little things:

1) If you've got enough space at the very beginning of a run, shift yourself into Nollie position (L+R), then do a Bigspin Heel/Flip into a revert into a manual. Bit of a meal, but always worth doing.

2) Always knock out the big tricks where possible (best ones being 720 Flip and Double Laserflip). Add spins onto these for more! They can be done going down slopes, not just off ramps.

3) Grind switches as much as. Try and do these immediately upon grinding. I presume the ones with both L+R (like Darkslide) are worth the most but that's maximum finger acrobatics.

4) Always do revert+manual. Not always possible, but mostly possible.

5) Nothing but perfect!

6) EDIT: More speed means more air also

There's probably other stuff too.

This seems helpful!

One thing I'm having trouble with is the loss of speed when landing manuals.
Anything else to do about that besides landing normally and pressing x for some more speed?

AllGamer

Thanks Renpatsu. This will help a lot.

Btw, I finished rad mode yesterday and got the platinum trophy. My first platinum at that. Feels good :)

wouwie

Olli Olli 2 is pretty much a perfection of the first game. The manuals and ramps are a very nice addition. In fact, i had a hard time going back to the first game once i got used to them. The gameplay is solid and fun, there's a lot of content and the visuals are nice. The only thing that feels like a step backwards from the first game is the soundtrack. It's not bad by any means but the soundtrack in the first game was stellar.

Unfortunately, i'm pretty bad at this game. I even have trouble finishing the amateur levels. At the moment i'm stuck at the beginning of the 2nd level in the last world. But i do hope to get at least all the stars in the amateur levels at some point. It's not an easy game but it's so much fun that i don't mind at all, on the contrary.

Congratulations to Roll7 for an excellent game!

Matush

My whole PS4 progress was deleted, wtf?! :( I didn't upload any save to Online storage or cross-save, am I fckd?

I was missing like 5 amateur challenges.

wouwie

My whole PS4 progress was deleted, wtf?! :( I didn't upload any save to Online storage or cross-save, am I fckd?

I was missing like 5 amateur challenges.

I guess i spoke too soon about how good the game is. I have the same issue. Started the game today and it's starting from the first tutorial.

First i encounter a game breaking bug in Ori which means i can't continue and now my progress is wiped in Olli Olli 2...

Shaneus

Fuck, that sucks to hear! Are either of you playing cross-platform? I played on the PS4 last night briefly, synced and synced again on my Vita to download that progress. It all seemed to be there.

Obviously, make sure you let roll7 know. Not great :(

wouwie

Fuck, that sucks to hear! Are either of you playing cross-platform? I played on the PS4 last night briefly, synced and synced again on my Vita to download that progress. It all seemed to be there.

Obviously, make sure you let roll7 know. Not great :(

Nope, just playing on PS4. All went fine yesterday but when i started today, i was greeted with the first tutorial. I don't have a backup of my save file either. Apparently i'm not the only one reporting this. The developers have been made aware of the problem on Twitter.

I would recommend backing up save files though. I'm done with the game until the issue is solved.

Shaneus

Nope, just playing on PS4. All went fine yesterday but when i started today, i was greeted with the first tutorial. I don't have a backup of my save file either. Apparently i'm not the only one reporting this. The developers have been made aware of the problem on Twitter.

I would recommend backing up save files though. I'm done with the game until the issue is solved.
Can that be done? I wouldn't know how to do it with my Vita. Maybe I need to tinker with the PC content manager or something.

Dachande

Is anyone else still getting the "not connected" problem on PS4? I'm definitely connected to PSN system level, but Olli Olli 2 thinks I'm not, and when I go to "Connect" it brings up the "Please wait..." screen for a split second and that's it.

It's not to do with Cross-Save, I've tried the Reset Cross-Save option and it hasn't fixed anything. I've also tried resetting my data and that hasn't fixed anything either.

I swear, every fucking Olli Olli game has technical problems...

ZQQLANDER

Anyone have advice for doing a nosegrind+laserflip?

I'm consistently pulling nosegrind+nolli kickflip

Edit: Victiory is mine! Muahahahahaha! All amateur challenges complete, now for pro!

Finally completed the Amateur levels, haven't got all the challenges yet. Was trying to finish all the challenges as I went along but it got too frustrating, but I've only got about 20 left to do so hopefully it won't take too long now.

Also managed to top the daily grind board!
11 minutes after it reset...

What a fantastic game. Gotta be one of the most perfect sequels ever.

Downloaded this for free just because of PS+. Probably wouldn't have even looked twice at it otherwise. But I'm glad I did - this game is awesome and I'm pretty addicted to it. I was pretty shit at first, but on the last few runs I managed to do full level combos which I consider an accomplishment since I was faceplanting on stairs yesterday.

Dunno if I'll ever make 50 million but damn if the game isn't fun.

Matush

Despite my progress wipe, I've finally finished all amateur challenges, now onto Spots and completing Pro level, I don't see myself trying to go for Pro challenges, they seem crazy as hell.

Schlep

Really amazing.

I'm more at the, "let me burn a copy of this game to DVD so I'll have something to break in half" level.

Renpatsu

Really amazing.

I'm more at the, "let me burn a copy of this game to DVD so I'll have something to break in half" level.
It's not uncommon for me to restart over 50 times at the beginning of a spot if I don't get the timing or pull off the right tricks so that doesn't really change when you're near the top.

Top Bottom