• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

lt519

Knocked out two more Titan Sky challenges last night. Getting my spins down too, probably a couple more nights of practice and I should have it done.
I'm still doing amateur ):

Auctopus

I have one more AM challenge on Titan 5 then I've gotta clear up Pro. I've done a substantial amount of PRO already and have felt less struggles than I did in the AM challenges, the challenges are more fun too.

Yet to actually complete a run of Titan 4/5 Pro. Getting manny pad pops on the former is very satisfying but the end is crazy.

Wow, the one thing stopping me from getting all amateur challenges done, is a 62x combo on Titan 5... Wat!?

just completed all the amateur challenges. this one was the last one i did. you can get an exact 62x combo if you spin two times between every jump, and do your grind switches on every rail. The combo starts after the first "area" that makes you stop your combo from before (the drop with the stairs).you can also throw in a couple revert manuals just to be sure.

seabass0

Wow, the one thing stopping me from getting all amateur challenges done, is a 62x combo on Titan 5... Wat!?

I just need that and the 50x on Titan 3. I'm going to do those 2 challenges at some point here, but I just don't see myself being capable of doing the Pro challenges.

Renpatsu

Is RaymondTerrific here? I'm number two on Titan Pro Spot 2 and I have no idea how he got number one.
Sorry, number three now.

There are areas in that level, two specifically (and potentially more I have to workshop it) where you can grind twice. In addition maximising the amount of spins you do in the level is likely crucial to adding to your overall combo counter.

Swhalen

Is that the one with the grind tunnel where you've gotta hop and hit two more perfect grinds? That one took me a while.

The second level on the Carnival is a noticeable difficulty spike as well.
What on earth. I'm trying to do the big spin flip and crooked grind on Aztec 3 and every time I so a big spin flip it's a 180 big spin flip and doesn't count, I can't figure out why I can't do it.

noomi

It's far simpler than that. Just do the following within the game itself:

1. For the first time you use cross-save, select 'Reset cross save'. This is because of a minor bug that is being patched out, otherwise you wouldn't need to reset.
2. Select 'Sync cross save' on the PS4.
3. Select 'Sync cross save' on the Vita.
4. Profit.

Obviously reverse the PS4/Vita as appropriate.

Having played on both, I would personally recommend playing on the Vita over the PS4. The lag input is less, the controls are slightly easier, and it's more forgiving on the Vita's thumbstick that the DS4's rubber.

I'll try this out, thanks :)

Is that one person who is always first in the daily grind (rayflip or something) glitching to get those scores? I mean, they consistently get over 1 million points, which would be super impressive if glitching wasn't involved.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
RAD mode done. Just gotta do the spots and find the hidden dev team now. Whilst the overall game is harder than the original, RAD mode is without question easier. It doesn't have anything bullshitty like that one Junkyard Pro level in the original.

Renpatsu

Is that one person who is always first in the daily grind (rayflip or something) glitching to get those scores? I mean, they consistently get over 1 million points, which would be super impressive if glitching wasn't involved.
Many of the people who are at the top of the leaderboards most of the time having been at the top since the original game. More than likely they've just had a lot of practice.

lcap

Dont know if has been asked before, do I need to complete all the pro challenges to get the 100% completion trophy?

theaface

Dont know if has been asked before, do I need to complete all the pro challenges to get the 100% completion trophy?

Yep, all 250 challenges across Amateur and Pro amongst other things.

I've just got the very last level on Titan Pro to do before it's on to RAD mode.

Renpatsu

Go into the Profile option in the main menu of OlliOlli2 and it'll show your current completion percentage across several of the categories that go into that 100% completion trophy.

Edit: Compared to the first game where Rad mode made up a lot of the challenge, in OlliOlli 2 Rad mode is kind of relaxing compared to some of the individual challenges in some levels.

seabass0

Just beat all of the Amateur challenges!! YES.

Not sure if I've got it in me to do the Pro challenges, but I think I'll give it a shot.

Got to say that I'm loving this game more and more, the more I play it.

I've only played on Vita so far, but once you get past the steep learning curve and odd controls, it's great.

Been playing a lot of indie games lately with learning curves, and have been loving it.
The past few years I've played games that play so similarly to each other, that they're easy to get into. However, once one gets over the hurdles of the weird controls/button sequencing in games like this, it gives the game a unique feel.
Not saying either design strategy is better, but I've liked this. I don't find it that difficult, either.

Had to stop playing a bit (my left thumb was protesting for sure all last week lol) but I'll probably be jumping back in again.

I've also been switching between the first game and this and despite fundamentally being the same, it's amazing how fast you miss being able to manual as I kept wanting to do it in the first game.

Still, roll7 has become one of my favorite indie developers in recent times thanks to the OlliOlli series.

One more thing, I thought the instructions were kidding when to make sure the tv is in game mode when playing on the PS4 but when playing at a friend's house and it wasn't, holy crap my timing was terrible. Switched to game mode and all was good again. I do prefer the lower travel of the Vita sticks though so it'll most likely be my OlliOlli machine for a good long while.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Haha sorry guys

VFLBgTV.jpg

Ketch

I have a real problem consistently landing manuals... am I just bad, or is there a trick to it I don't know?

Renpatsu

Haha sorry guys
I'll be right back. I've got things to take care of...
Edit:
Edit Edit:
I have a real problem consistently landing manuals... am I just bad, or is there a trick to it I don't know?
Just make sure you're pressing the X button and pushing the analog stick left or right at the same time. You can't hold them back beforehand in preparation and then press X. Beyond that it's simply a case of synchronising your left and right hands to get the timing.

theaface

All challenges in Amateur and Pro done, and all Amateur RAD mode courses done too. Just need to finish up Pro RAD and collect some developer heads, and the platinum trophy is mine!

Such a phenomenal game. It's insane to me that something of such quality and that is brand new is part of the IGC.

This game would be exponentially easier if the landing a trick and grinding command were the same.

But then it would probably make the game too easy

myco666

This game would be exponentially easier if the landing a trick and grinding command were the same.

But then it would probably make the game too easy

That would be too easy since some grinds are really close to ground. I would like if there was dedicated grind button so that I wouldn't accidentally press x when I wanted to grind. Dedicated revert button would be nice too.

Renpatsu

It also sorta wouldn't make sense. The X button to land is distinctly differentiated from the analog stick which encompasses all the tricks which includes grinding.

I also feel slightly sad that the game doesn't unlock another super duper hard torture mode world a la Super Mario 3D Land after completing the game.

I can't do a Five-o to a Laserflip it's doing my head in.... :-(

It looks like the kind of game i'd want to 100% (and I do want to 100% it), but I can't do that no matter how I try o_O

and if I can't do that 'simple' thing so early on, how on earth would I do the pro stuff :(

any tips, guys?

Number45

Same here, basic tricks are just not easy for me to combo even though I have the other timings down at the moment.

In the thrall of Velocity2X at the moment, but I'm going to return afterwards. Tried to juggle both games, but the gameplay for both is so intense I can't easily switch between them.

Is it just me or do you also get a little dizy after stopping a session of OlliOlli ?

Like the picture on the screen is moving but it actually isn't ?

I must be going crazy lol.

OST in this game is amazing.

myco666

It looks like the kind of game i'd want to 100% (and I do want to 100% it), but I can't do that no matter how I try o_O

and if I can't do that 'simple' thing so early on, how on earth would I do the pro stuff :(

any tips, guys?

What trick do you get when you try to do laserflip from five-o? I usually practice the flips on flat so that I know the correct motion and then apply it to the grind. Also doing the laserflip before the grind ends is better than trying to wait to the end since you will most likely get ollie if you wait too long.

Renpatsu

any tips, guys?
The order of those tricks sets up the motions for you so let's break it down.

First you want to land a Five-o grind by holding the analog stick to the left.
Next you want to perform a half-circle motion as if you're pulling off a fireball in Street Fighter. So from the first position (with the analog stick pointed to the left) curve the stick down and to the right and then simply let go to perform a Laserflip.

If you let go early you'll pull off a Varial Heelflip instead.

Same here, basic tricks are just not easy for me to combo even though I have the other timings down at the moment.

In the thrall of Velocity2X at the moment, but I'm going to return afterwards. Tried to juggle both games, but the gameplay for both is so intense I can't easily switch between them.

I've platinumed both Velocity games (which are fucking amazing btw), but this laserflip thing is totally impossible to do!!!

Funny thing is, when I go to the tricks menu for how to do the tricks, there's a star next to laserflip, which means I pulled it at least once but probably just out of sheer luck and not knowning what the fuck am doing. lol

What trick do you get when you try to do laserflip from five-o? I usually practice the flips on flat so that I know the correct motion and then apply it to the grind. Also doing the laserflip before the grind ends is better than trying to wait to the end since you will most likely get ollie if you wait too long.

A heelflip or an ollie :lol

God, I really suck at this game :p

I think my problem is that I can't land a trick after a grind... maybe I'm not 'getting' how to do that.

while I grind I just do the left stick in the motion that is described in the tricks manual or do I have to go 'up' first and then do the stick motion?

The order of those tricks sets up the motions for you so let's break it down.

First you want to land a Five-o grind by holding the analog stick to the left.
Next you want to perform a half-circle motion as if you're pulling off a fireball in Street Fighter. So from the first position (with the analog stick pointed to the left) curve the stick down and to the right and then simply let go to perform a Laserflip.

If you let go early you'll pull off a Varial Heelflip instead.

I get the Five-o and all the other grind tricks with no problem. The problem is with doing the flip trick afterwards.
I will try what you just said, seems like I might have 'got it' now.

Thanks for all the tips and help guys!!! :-D

Top Bottom