• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli 2 |OT| All it costs is your Dualshock 4

To play it on PS4 or PsVita?

I have mostly been playing it on the ps4 and switched to the vita this morning and all the timings are different and i'm finding it difficult to get perfect landings/grinds/manuals.

runs a dream on the vita and i think once i adjust to the timing differences it will be the best platform for the game

Shaneus

I know i wasn't a big rap for the soundtrack, but this track just slays me. Well done on the roll7 folks for picking music that isn't necessarily new, but fits the game.

Natels

I'm really enjoying this game. Completed all the Amateur tracks and some of the Pro and yesterday tried some spots.

Not bad, I guess...

wLSOnDk.jpg

Ocq08o4.jpg

k99umob.jpg

M7LOdt9.jpg

You guys can add me :)

Man. Having never played the first, I feel like I just climbed up Everest. Just finished the final Pro challenge! All wrapped up. What an amazing game. Might tackle hard mode, but I need a break from it for now.

I swear the Big Flip registers only 1/10th of the time. I have no idea what I could be doing wrong.

Also, no ghost downloading could possibly be the stupidest omission I've ever seen for this sort of game. Everything else is fantastic, of course. But wow, what a glaring omission.

sep

Aren't the controls...weird? Everytime there is a specific combination of tricks to pull off I waste an enormous amount of tries. Right now I can't for the life of me execute two boardslide to bigspin heel. The combination seems simple, but I always end up with a boardslide + something else. I tried everything, to press L twice, to keep it pressed, I tried on Vita, I tried with the dualshock.
The game is awesome, the other kind of challenges are fair, but I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Aren't the controls...weird? Everytime there is a specific combination of tricks to pull off I waste an enormous amount of tries. Right now I can't for the life of me execute two boardslide to bigspin heel. The combination seems simple, but I always end up with a boardslide + something else. I tried everything, to press L twice, to keep it pressed, I tried on Vita, I tried with the dualshock.
The game is awesome, the other kind of challenges are fair, but I feel like I'm wasting my time.

With some practice you'll be able to nail just about anything on command. I had the same issue at first.

Renpatsu

Broke the 40 million mark on the Ultimate Spots.
Another piece of advice. When you're trying to pull off a trick that requires the one of the triggers being pressed if you have both triggers held down it won't register even if you do the correct motion. Instead what will happen is that the game will defer to the corresponding trick without the triggers.

So a Backside Bigspin will become a Backside 360 Shove-It, or Impossible if you overshoot the motion.

Also in regards to what flips you can do on flatland. Even though it seems to be too long for it you can perform the Inward Heel Late FS Shove-It and Hardflip Late BS Shove-It on a flat just barely if you land it perfectly.

Natels

Im having a healthy competition with Renpatsu :)

There is one pro level I thought I was first for sure, guess who was first... And only got third

Quick question on controls, how are you supposed to do tricks out of grinds? Let's say I press and hold left on the left analog when I hit a rail, unless I'm misunderstanding I have to hold left to continue the grind.

If I let the stick go back to neutral I just ollie or nollie off with no trick. I've tried doing stuff like pressing left to initiate the grind, than rotating the stick around before returning it to center and sometimes that gives me tricks, but not every time. For example if I'm doing the left grind, move the stick quartercircle counterclockwise, and then return to neutral, I get a Laser flip.

What am I not getting about this? I've pretty much nailed getting perfect launches, using manuals and timing landings and stuff, but doing tricks out of grinds eludes me and there's no tutorial on it.

Renpatsu

Quick question on controls, how are you supposed to do tricks out of grinds? Let's say I press and hold left on the left analog when I hit a rail, unless I'm misunderstanding I have to hold left to continue the grind.

If I let the stick go back to neutral I just ollie or nollie off with no trick. I've tried doing stuff like pressing left to initiate the grind, than rotating the stick around before returning it to center and sometimes that gives me tricks, but not every time. For example if I'm doing the left grind, move the stick quartercircle counterclockwise, and then return to neutral, I get a Laser flip.
While you're grinding returning your stick to the neutral position will only cause you to ollie out (as you're aware). So instead you'll find that you don't start tricks at the neutral position while grinding, but with the stick held in the direction mid-trick.

This is why while grinding if you let go while you're stick is held to the right you'll do a kickflip or if held to the left a heelflip. You don't need to consciously move the stick back to the neutral position.

A laserflip works like the heelflip except your do a half-circle motion and let go at the 3 o'clock position.

Generally speaking you should be doing these motions quickly or they won't register.

Edit: You will also automattically ollie out if you reach the end of a rail. You must finish your motion and trick out before then in order to perform other tricks.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Broke the 40 million mark on the Ultimate Spots.

Another piece of advice. When you're trying to pull off a trick that requires the one of the triggers being pressed if you have both triggers held down it won't register even if you do the correct motion. Instead what will happen is that the game will defer to the corresponding trick without the triggers.

So a Backside Bigspin will become a Backside 360 Shove-It, or Impossible if you overshoot the motion.

Also in regards to what flips you can do on flatland. Even though it seems to be too long for it you can perform the Inward Heel Late FS Shove-It and Hardflip Late BS Shove-It on a flat just barely if you land it perfectly.

Damn, you make my 7th place seem so far away.

theaface

Just got the platinum trophy. Said it before but it's worth saying again - what a fantastic game. It's tightly designed, challenging and has an excellent and fair learning curve. It improves on the original in every way I can think of.

For those querying the controls and their success rate pulling of certain tricks, stick with it. It may sound harsh to say, but it's you, not the game - the controls work excellently when mastered.

Big props to Roll7 for making a superb game. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for their future titles.

souffe

Neo Member
This game has changed my entire view on simplistic looking indie games, I'm addicted, Olli Olli is my crack, I'm not even particularly good at it, but it rekindled this old spark in me that was created when I first played sonic on the master system and tried to blaze through amazing, vivid, colorful levels to the best of my (very limited)ability, brilliantly catchy songs in the background eating a bowl of cereal while my brother plays his turn, both sitting on the floor like 2 feet away from the tv.
I seriously love this game so much that I recommended it to my cousin last week and now we are constantly trying to beat each others scores, we're both kind of obsessed, I just bought the order 1886, shadow of mordor, the evil within and assassins creed Unity this month, but I can't tear myself away from this, every minute of my free time now goes into this (literally since I also have a vita)

Since I never really payed attention to these kind of games, what other games feel/look like olli olli, any recommendations ?
Please, a ravenous hunger within me has awoken.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
Still trying to finish up the amateur challenges. Got maybe 3 left total, and they all involve doing some kind of trick that I'm struggling to get the timing down on.

lol the Platinum on this game is exclusively reserved for NeoGAF members :p I feel like everyone here has it, but my trophy % says 0.1.

theaface

Since I never really payed attention to these kind of games, what other games feel/look like olli olli, any recommendations ?
Please, a ravenous hunger within me has awoken.

Hotline Miami, for sure. It has a pixel art aesthetic, great soundtrack, high score chasing, fast and skillful levels that have that 'just one more go' quality. Obviously it's quite different in terms of genre, but there are a lot of parallels.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hotline Miami, for sure. It has a pixel art aesthetic, great soundtrack, high score chasing, fast and skillful levels that have that 'just one more go' quality. Obviously it's quite different in terms of genre, but there are a lot of parallels.

I never liked score chasing in Hotline Miami because to be honest I just didn't understand the scoring system. I'd go though levels at super speed maintaining a combo and still somehow get a shit score.

lt519

Finally beat all the amateur challenges!! Vita was definitely the way to go. Knocked out all the Pro levels in like an hour (just completion). Looking at the challenges I'm not going to bother. I finally got the hang of spins though.

I'm surprised to see the leader board extend to only like 250 people on Titan Sky pro, have that few people actually completed all the amateur challenges?

lcap

Guys, any tips on grinding with enough speed on Titan 4? I made it two or three times by pure luck, but most of the time I just fall down near the end (I know I have to perfect grind on the spaces in between throughout the grind, but it's not enough).

newjeruse

Finally beat all the amateur challenges!! Vita was definitely the way to go. Knocked out all the Pro levels in like an hour (just completion). Looking at the challenges I'm not going to bother. I finally got the hang of spins though.

I'm surprised to see the leader board extend to only like 250 people on Titan Sky pro, have that few people actually completed all the amateur challenges?
The amateur challenges are really hard for some of us. I've beaten all the amateur levels and basically come to grips with the fact that I'll never finish all the challenges.

lt519

The amateur challenges are really hard for some of us. I've beaten all the amateur levels and basically come to grips with the fact that I'll never finish all the challenges.

Oh it is no knock, it took me the full two weeks and some serious practice to get the amateur challenges done. I had to expand my skill set gradually to incorporate ways to get the multiplier and base score up. I almost gave up several times. It amazes me people can even do the pro challenges.

It's unfortunate the pro levels unlock on completing all the challenges, it takes a lot of the game away from people and the pro levels actually aren't any more difficult than the amateur ones.

It was just surprising to only see 250 people world wide scoring on pro. I guess GAF is a bad sample set, we probably make up half of those.

Guys, any tips on grinding with enough speed on Titan 4? I made it two or three times by pure luck, but most of the time I just fall down near the end (I know I have to perfect grind on the spaces in between throughout the grind, but it's not enough).

Your speed leading into that section matters as well not just perfecting the grind themselves. Try and make sure you are perfect on the few moves leading to the grind. Land as far into the grind as possible too, if that makes sense

The precision and perfection required for some parts of amateur is absurd. It nearly broke me.

stopthenadness

Neo Member
Hey guys, can I get a video of you guys getting 1 mill or something on a daily grind?? I can't believe those short levels and people are able to score 1 mill+ o.0 or spots etc.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hey guys, can I get a video of you guys getting 1 mill or something on a daily grind?? I can't believe those short levels and people are able to score 1 mill+ o.0 or spots etc.
Revert manual whenever possible, make sure you're grind switching and pulling spins in midair to get a bigger combo. When you have room try to go for bigger tricks. The tricks that require clockwise and counter clockwise in one motion are the highest scoring tricks but also take the longest to execute.

So I went to Rezzed on Saturday and spoke to one of the guys who works at Roll 7 who was showing off Not A Hero, congratulated him on the Bafta, and even mentioned how I did a bit of QA for OlliOlli PS4 and Not A Hero for them. Showed him my watch face as a little shout out to them:

nDyIPaM.jpg

He immediately asked if he could take a picture of it, I wished him all the best for Not A Hero and he gave me a free T-Shirt that they were selling!

QOj7YU7.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
And now the battle to retain 4th place begins. Damn you RaymondTerrific!

Well never mind that. No way I'm getting that back now. What's up with the leaderboards by the way? First RaymondTerrific was nowhere and all of a sudden had 43m. Then he gains another 3m inside 10 minutes? Bullshit. Unless he's just getting this on his first finishes of spots. In which case all of you are fucked and he's gonna go to number 1 very quickly.

Renpatsu

And now the battle to retain 4th place begins. Damn you RaymondTerrific!

Well never mind that. No way I'm getting that back now. What's up with the leaderboards by the way? First RaymondTerrific was nowhere and all of a sudden had 43m. Then he gains another 3m inside 10 minutes? Bullshit. Unless he's just getting this on his first finishes of spots. In which case all of you are fucked and he's gonna go to number 1 very quickly.
Many people high up on the leaderboards haven't actually done all the spots yet. Shine3p is actually taking his time and he hasn't done them all yet.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
We're all victims the game of war, man :'(

I'm coming for you Renpatsu!
How did you get so high so quickly? You were nowhere a very short time ago.

Do you have any idea how hard I worked to get this high? And then you just take it like it's nothing? I'm gonna go cry in th corner now.

Kelthink

How did you get so high so quickly? You were nowhere a very short time ago.

Do you have any idea how hard I worked to get this high? And then you just take it like it's nothing? I'm gonna go cry in th corner now.

I've literally just been doing spots. Hadn't finished them. I have now and I'm trying to steal the thunder from shine3p.

Also, there's definitely some bullshit in some of the scores. Like, literally impossible without cheating. I'm talking about cantfindagood1 on the first level.

EDIT: I ain't catching you Renpatsu. Damn!

Donos

Manuals make this way harder for me than OlliOlli 1. I only manage to do them like 30 % of the time. After the first 5 lvls you need to combo with manuals to even get near the points/combos who are necessary. Got pretty far in OlliOlli 1, even without spins.

Top Bottom