• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time |OT| Happy Endings Gone Forever More

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shot and scene - hell, the entire episode - were heavily set up to make us think he go through. To have Jefferson just appear randomly without any foreshadowing is all kinds of lame.

SuperPac

The shot and scene - hell, the entire episode - were heavily set up to make us think he go through. To have Jefferson just appear randomly without any foreshadowing is all kinds of lame.

Agreed on this. I thought he fell out a window, into the hat and back to fairytale land, and I wish they'd left it that way. Regina couldn't have found some other loophole in which to obtain a sleeping spell? My wife didn't even remember what'd happened to Jefferson. You figure if he had shown back up in town Emma would've arrested him.

Apparently this is a land with *some* magic when it's convenient. If there was magic in the items Regina brought with her then how is Mr. Gold's pawn shop not full of magical items since a lot of that stuff is from FTL? Or maybe he's merely hoarding items for when they become magical again?

As soon as
Henry showed up in that last scene I figured he was going to eat that turnover. The big question now is if they'll actually kill him off (by next season he's not going to look like Henry from this season, right?) or revive him next episode. It certainly would keep Emma there with renewed reason to take Regina down, but I wonder if the writers are brave enough to do that to the (largely female, I'm guessing) audience.

Jefferson's one of my favorite characters next to Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin so I'm glad he showed back up, however yeah, I wish there had been a little more circumstance to it.

Medalion

Banned
Magic does not exist natively in the "real world", only whatever magical trinkets she brought with her from the FTL. She used up the last of her magic to summon an Apple to do the Sleeping curse on Emma, the rest of the magic was her killing the first Sheriff by crushing his heart

Magic in the real world has to be tightly controlled... so the thing about that Mad Hatter hat not sending Jefferson back, fits as it should

Mr.Gold has no magic in the real world because he did not invoke the Curse so he had no control over the shit he could prepare to the real world

Agreed on this. I thought he fell out a window, into the hat and back to fairytale land, and I wish they'd left it that way. Regina couldn't have found some other loophole in which to obtain a sleeping spell? My wife didn't even remember what'd happened to Jefferson. You figure if he had shown back up in town Emma would've arrested him.

Apparently this is a land with *some* magic when it's convenient. If there was magic in the items Regina brought with her then how is Mr. Gold's pawn shop not full of magical items since a lot of that stuff is from FTL? Or maybe he's merely hoarding items for when they become magical again?

As soon as
Henry showed up in that last scene I figured he was going to eat that turnover. The big question now is if they'll actually kill him off (by next season he's not going to look like Henry from this season, right?) or revive him next episode. It certainly would keep Emma there with renewed reason to take Regina down, but I wonder if the writers are brave enough to do that to the (largely female, I'm guessing) audience.

They won't kill Henry. He'll revive when Emma kisses him.

Except true love's kiss. I mean, that's kind of how the story goes.

Henry dying would be pointless and the icing on the cake of a half season of broken promises.

Seriously. That's how Emma is going to believe. He'll be pronounced dead, she'll kiss him, he'll wake up. Otherwise, there's absolutely no reason for him to, as a character, have eaten the apple or, for the show, to have him eat the apple.

Medalion

Banned
The point is to get rid of an annoying character... I'd almost want Emma to eat one too cuz she's just awful sometimes, but I like Jennifer Morrison too much to see her go

SuperPac

So they run a bunch of tests on the turnover, it reveals nothing I'd imagine. Dr.Whale continues his incompetence treating Henry with nothing that'll work for the mysterious coma he's now in. Emma in desperation kisses Henry, he wakes up - will that be the shot that ends season 1? Or will there be something else/one more thing? Will we see Baelfire or perhaps a character from another land that wasn't FTL appear? (Like out of one of the other doors seen when Regina and Jefferson go through the hat?)

I'd love it if the kiss/Henry wake-up moment is halfway through the episode and that when things get really real. Saving it until the end feels too obvious. And it'd be great to at least get a vague hint of where this boat'll sail for next season.

Henry ate the apple turnover of death...ain't no coming back from that
Just to be clear, the apple
(and by extension, the apple turnover)
, doesn't kill. It puts you into a death-like state in which you are trapped forever within your nightmares
(this is how the Queen describes the apple to Snow right before she eats it in fairy tale land)

The point is to get rid of an annoying character

So, you would rather a major character who still has story be killed off for no reason other than you find them annoying? Let alone a child?

Are you also one of the people that goes on Hulu and complains about how Max is annoying on Parenthood?

So they run a bunch of tests on the turnover, it reveals nothing I'd imagine. Dr.Whale continues his incompetence treating Henry with nothing that'll work for the mysterious coma he's now in. Emma in desperation kisses Henry, he wakes up - will that be the shot that ends season 1? Or will there be something else/one more thing? Will we see Baelfire or perhaps a character from another land that wasn't FTL appear? (Like out of one of the other doors seen when Regina and Jefferson go through the hat?)

I'd love it if the kiss/Henry wake-up moment is halfway through the episode and that when things get really real. Saving it until the end feels too obvious. And it'd be great to at least get a vague hint of where this boat'll sail for next season.

The absolute worst thing that they could do is end on the cloud sweeping into town, and then next season is about the aftermath of "that storm". If they keep Emma in her current state of Jack for the entire series run...

Zalasta

True love's kiss in these fairy tales has always implied a romantic love. To now extend it to unconditional love between a parent and child seems to me a bit of a stretch and a plot convenience. Not to mention to break the spell requires magic anyway, and currently it does not exist.

True love's kiss in these fairy tales has always implied a romantic love. To now extend it to unconditional love between a parent and child seems to me a bit of a stretch and a plot convenience. Not to mention to break the spell requires magic anyway, and currently it does not exist.
Romantic love between the Huntsman and Emma broke the curse in the Huntsman's mind, allowing him to remember. It's happened at least once before.

Naka

So if Jefferson wasn't sent back to FTL where was he? Under his house or something? That really seemed out of the blue and poorly explained.

SuperPac

So if Jefferson wasn't sent back to FTL where was he? Under his house or something? That really seemed out of the blue and poorly explained.

One theory I heard on that is that it was like the keys and such that he put in the hat when he was with Regina that went in but didn't do anything — he may have gone into the hat, but that there wasn't enough magic to send him anywhere. So he popped back out/escaped.

Naka

One theory I heard on that is that it was like the keys and such that he put in the hat when he was with Regina that went in but didn't do anything — he may have gone into the hat, but that there wasn't enough magic to send him anywhere. So he popped back out/escaped.

Interesting. So either way they didnt really explain it in the show, it just kind of happened.

Medalion

Banned
Why is it so important for people to believe the Mad Hatter went through the Hat even a little bit? Sure they tried to make you think that, but I think some people are just grasping at straws...
The only controlled magic in the real world is or was in Regina's position.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This may already have been discussed, but how did the mad hatter get out anyway? At the end of his first episode, wasnt he trapped back in the original world making like, thousands of hats? and now he just strolls into regina's office? am i missing something.

My problem, to further explain it, is that if the show featured Regina's magical trinket throughout the season, it would have had more impact when she decided to use it. It represented both her love and last bit magic, so sacrificing it could have been a bigger deal to viewers had we actually seen that side of her. But no, its just randomly there.

I'm against lying to the audience with the August and Rump episode as well as the Mad Hatter. Unless there are clues that we can later think back on that ties it all together. But the Aug/Rump was a straight up lie. I get it, pinocchio etc. But you lie to the character, never the audience in those situations. I want to say "oh shit!" not "fuck this shit!".

They also treated hatter as if there was no mystery that they needed to explain. He came and did his thing without the suspense of "what/how/when the fuck?!". It was bad confusion, not the good kind that keeps you itching for more.

SuperPac

Very glad it got renewed! Curious as to where they'll take the show next season, but I'm sure we'll get a glimpse in the finale.

My problem, to further explain it, is that if the show featured Regina's magical trinket throughout the season, it would have had more impact when she decided to use it. It represented both her love and last bit magic, so sacrificing it could have been a bigger deal to viewers had we actually seen that side of her. But no, its just randomly there.

I somewhat agree, but I can't think of a point earlier where it would have made sense to show it purposely. I mean if you're thinking about it that way, then they could have introduced Mr. Gold burying the knife earlier to make digging it up have more impact - but they didn't.

I'm against lying to the audience with the August and Rump episode as well as the Mad Hatter. Unless there are clues that we can later think back on that ties it all together. But the Aug/Rump was a straight up lie. I get it, pinocchio etc. But you lie to the character, never the audience in those situations. I want to say "oh shit!" not "fuck this shit!".

I disagree here. They used misdirection in the narrative to make you think he was Baelfire, but in that episode they dropped a bunch of subtle hints—the donkey paperweight, the blue fairy's story of being separated from his father, that we hadn't yet seen Pinocchio in Storybrooke but had seen him during several FTL scenes, before they go into the shop August and Henry are shown next to stacks of wood, etc. To me it was an "oh shit!" moment that I hadn't thought of but that did make sense.

They also treated hatter as if there was no mystery that they needed to explain. He came and did his thing without the suspense of "what/how/when the fuck?!". It was bad confusion, not the good kind that keeps you itching for more.

I'm not sure what explaining the mystery of this gets you. You can believe he went into the hat but it didn't have enough magic to send him anywhere (a concept they introduced in the last episode, hence Jefferson's skepticism that any hat was going to work) or he didn't go through the hat and instead survived the fall and ran off. IMO, they don't need to explain this point. It isn't the kind of detail that would keep me itching for more. *shrug* Did you watch LOST, btw? Because if these details are going to hang you up you may have problems later if this goes in a similar direction. :)

Something that started bothering me recently about the show is why Regina cares about what happens to Henry so much. She's not his real mother. He doesn't seem to like her at all. But she clearly cares about him in some way - after the nightmare she had she went to check on him. She sacrificed the magic ring she had for him (partly). She hasn't done anything directly to interfere with him and his operation Cobra stuff. Is it just to use him as a pawn similar to why she might be keeping Belle in the hospital basement or is it real? If Henry is Emma and
Baelfire's
son, then it would give her some kind of chip to use against Rumple/Gold perhaps, but... otherwise it doesn't really make a ton of sense to me. Am I forgetting a detail where they explained this?

Medalion

Banned
Regina only cares about Henry because that is the life she wanted for herself in the "real world" after she created the Curse... she wanted a son, because no man in Fairy Tale land would want her to make her a child anyways, and every woman or most women want to live on through their children, like immortality

hmmmm

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Regina only cares about Henry because that is the life she wanted for herself in the "real world" after she created the Curse... she wanted a son, because no man in Fairy Tale land would want her to make her a child anyways, and every woman or most women want to live on through their children, like immortality

hmmmm

I'd want her, just sayin

Officially renewed

I understand that every network wants "That Show", but waiting until your entire season is wrapped before you renew is all sorts of stupid.

It doesn't produce good writing. It produces the exact opposite.

I'm against lying to the audience with the August and Rump

That wasn't lying to the audience. That was a character lying to another character. It was basically telegraphed as soon as Mr. Gold started assuming it was Bae that it wasn't Bae.

I dunno how this show can sustain itself now for multiple seasons. Where's the tension gonna come from? Guess I'll have to see how this season ends.

Ohwiseone

Nice twist the writers just put in there.

I read in an interview a few days ago that they have a timeline in the writers room for this show, would love to see it.

Ohwiseone

So wait, did they just retcon the entire first season with the purple smoke thing.

I wish I would of watched lost the girl who plays Belle is really pretty.

Arment

Hot damn that finale.

The smoke is magic. They'll still be in the modern timeline but now they have their memories and anyone who had magic (or is sustained by magic like Pinocchio) will now have it.

Rumpelstiltskin brought magic to the world without it. He has everything he ever wanted. His son is somewhere in the world. He has Belle back. And now he has magic. I wonder if it will corrupt his visage like in the fairy tale world.

The finale pretty much wrapped up the "curse" storyline...interested to see where the second season is going to go, especially with everyone remembering who they are already. I was expecting them to drag out character amnesia for at least another season, so good on them on taking risks and going forward.

Ahh man. Just looked at wikipedia...this was the last ep of the season...swear they said there was gonna be one more...now I'm bummed but I guess it makes sense with all the shit that went down tonight.

How did the curse end by Emma kissing Henry? I don't understand. And how does a love potion bring back magic when thrown into a well? Anyhow great finale, season and show.

Hopefully Emma isn't such a moron from now on.

Is August dead or did the removal of curse bring him back to life?

If the curse remains defeated it will be interesting to see the stories that take place but with the clock reverting back to 8:15 I think Gold resummoned it.

If true I don't think the curse effects Emma or Henry and thus they'll spend much of next season convincing people they're fairy tale characters.

Arment

True love breaks curses. Rumpelstiltskin threw that bottle of true love into magical water that will "return that which one has lost". I guess somewhere between there that returns something that everyone has lost, which is being in a world with magic.

I'm thinking everyone will remember Emma and Henry. After everyone's memories returned, the nun remembered that Emma kissed Henry. Belle mentioned she finally remembered, as if she recalled not remembering.

Pinocchio has to be back. He's (probably) Emma's love interest and we need the Gipetto reunion.

Ohwiseone

I now understand that it was magic he was releasing back into the world.

I wonder if that will do a "reset" back to fairytale time (With the castles and everything) or they will keep it in modern times.

I loved the finale, man They know how to write endings (the people from LOST).

I really don't understand how people were able to take this from 7 seasons of LOST.

That was the first time Emma kissed Henry? My point was how can her kissing him wake up the whole town when the curse has nothing to do with either of them since they weren't effected by it to begin with. If Granny wants to kiss Ruby to wake up sure...I don't see how the whole town woke up though when 2 people not effected by it kiss.

Arment

They could definitely keep it in modern times. There's still a lot of back story to cover. We don't know who Dr. Whale is still.

That was the first time Emma kissed Henry? My point was how can her kissing him wake up the whole town when the curse has nothing to do with either of them since they weren't effected by it to begin with. If Granny wants to kiss Ruby to wake up sure...I don't see how the whole town woke up though when 2 people not effected by it kiss.

Remember when Charming kissed Snow White? It had an effect on the whole kingdom. It did the same thing with Henry and Emma. Since she's the savior she can do that, I guess.

As for when they kissed before - I think she broke the curse while breaking another. It was like a shockwave.

The fairy tale characters knowing who they are in the real world takes a lot of the "magic" out of the show to me, so to speak. I don't think the magic cloud is a reset button (hoping it isn't a reset button, at any rate) so I'm wondering how they're going to balance the real world and the "flashbacks" to the fairy tale world. I think next season is going to probably be about relearning magic and figuring out why they didn't return to fairy tale world and are still in Storybrooke.

Remember when Charming kissed Snow White? It had an effect on the whole kingdom. It did the same thing with Henry and Emma.

Yes, it was in this ep but why does it have an effect on everyone? Remember the Sheriff kissing Emma. Only he remembered not the whole town.

Arment

Yes, it was in this ep but why does it have an effect on everyone? Remember the Sheriff kissing Emma. Only he remembered not the whole town.

I can only theorize that maybe it wasn't true love so it wasn't strong enough to break everything. I thought then that it was because she was special but then they started hinting at the power of love. The Huntsman remembering could be any number of things between a) her being the savior b) love c) enough of a +b to break it for him d) plot hole e) explained in the future

That's just my theory. I wish they were more clear about it, and maybe they will be.

The fairy tale characters knowing who they are in the real world takes a lot of the "magic" out of the show to me, so to speak. I don't think the magic cloud is a reset button (hoping it isn't a reset button, at any rate) so I'm wondering how they're going to balance the real world and the "flashbacks" to the fairy tale world. I think next season is going to probably be about relearning magic and figuring out why they didn't return to fairy tale world and are still in Storybrooke.

But what about the clock turning to 8:15 at the end? I think he resummoned the curse. When David looked up at the clock to leave it was 11 something AM...few minutes later magic cloud rolls in and it's 8:15. I agree knowing who they are takes a lot out of the show that's also why I think they're cursed again. Hopefully it doesn't effect Henry, Emma, August(if he's still alive). Gold and Regina won't be effected either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom