• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Persona" YouTube clips getting hit by copyright claims from... a Russian actress?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You say that when in a week's time we'll all be downloading devil summoning apps on to our phones.

Less humans on the planet due to being eaten by rogue summons is always a good thing. At least its better than "bad" viral marketing.

MAiKU

Neo Member
I actually just noticed she took down a majority of her videos as well.

Edit: Also, the options for reporting her are very limited, the options I get are

A user has stolen my videos
A user is revealing my personal information on the site
A user is harassing me on the site
A user is attacking or belittling a celebrity, country, or other YouTube user

And nothing comes close to my actual problem of having my videos taken down and my main account terminated falsely.

I would either do "A user has stolen my videos" because the result is kinda that, "A user is harassing me on the site" since that kinda works too (making a false claim and affecting your social experience on youtube), or "A user is attacking or belittling a celebrity, country, or other YouTube user" since Atlus USA and JP have their own YouTube accounts.

I actually just noticed she took down a majority of her videos as well.

Edit: Also, the options for reporting her are very limited, the options I get are

A user has stolen my videos
A user is revealing my personal information on the site
A user is harassing me on the site
A user is attacking or belittling a celebrity, country, or other YouTube user

And nothing comes close to my actual problem of having my videos taken down and my main account terminated falsely.

Can you still login and access your account? See if you can get to your copyright notices through here. http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_copyright

There's also http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_counter

They have this page for if you can't access your account. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57391?hl=en

In addition, if you don't already investing in an external HDD would be a good idea for situations like this. At least that way you still have all of your videos.

jaxword

it's quite strange that someone can lay claim to a single term without Youtube bothering to check whether this is a normal word or expression or something, and that it would insta-kill entire channels. Is the 'three strikes out' system per video or something?

Most people on the internet who moderate/control things have a similar "insta-kill" approach.

Think about the many forums that have had drama. Eventually a mod/admin just gets frustrated and does a "I don't care what this is about or who started this you're all banned" sweep. I, and I'm sure others have as well, have seen many "fights" online when one person is totally innocent but still gets taken out in the mass-banning of everyone whose username is in the thread.

Youtube moderators and admins are probably the same. Why bother sifting through the details for hours when you can click a button and make the entire problem go away?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It has nothing to do with moderation or administration or human man-hours and every thing to do with legal liability.

In the US, under the DMCA, if you are a website (which Youtube is), you are legally liable for copyright infringement that occurs on your site. It doesn't matter if a user uploads the data or if you do it yourself, makes no difference. You are legally liable. Viacom sued Google for a billion dollars a number of years ago because a bunch of people uploaded music to the site.

Providers have exactly one defence to this. The "safe harbour" provision allows you to to shield yourself against claims that you are legally liable. You qualify for this ONLY if you have an automated and easy process to report copyright violation AND you quickly block access to any material that a takedown notice is sent for. Providers MUST shoot first and ask questions later. They have no other option if they want legal protection. This is also why your ISP complies with idiotic copyright infringement notices it gets. Because it must.

mo60

This sucks.A bunch of youtube users got affected by something like this awhile and they managed to get their channels back. Lets hope everyone affected by this gets their channels back.

At least she's kinda cute... :p

Umm...

zelenin.jpg

Scary.

Maybe this is just a viral campaign for the next Persona game?

Strange Journey 2. Law end was canon end.

It's possible the SMT/Catherine videos have Persona tags.

Looks like they missed most/all SMT Main Series/All Spinoffs/Parody/etc videos tagged only in JP. Also, looks like channels that only have SMT Main Series/Non-Persona spin-off series LPs/Guides/etc weren't hit either.

Giolon

It has nothing to do with moderation or administration or human man-hours and every thing to do with legal liability.

In the US, under the DMCA, if you are a website (which Youtube is), you are legally liable for copyright infringement that occurs on your site. It doesn't matter if a user uploads the data or if you do it yourself, makes no difference. You are legally liable. Viacom sued Google for a billion dollars a number of years ago because a bunch of people uploaded music to the site.

Providers have exactly one defence to this. The "safe harbour" provision allows you to to shield yourself against claims that you are legally liable. You qualify for this ONLY if you have an automated and easy process to report copyright violation AND you quickly block access to any material that a takedown notice is sent for. Providers MUST shoot first and ask questions later. They have no other option if they want legal protection. This is also why your ISP complies with idiotic copyright infringement notices it gets. Because it must.

In a great twist, part of the reason Youtube prevailed in this case was that Viacom was found to have uploaded infringing content itself in order to file takedown claims against Youtube. It was delicious.

Still, someone needs to take this idiot down.

Kenka

Late to the news.

Idiotic.

I hope this case is dismissed as a sabotage attempt, which it feels like.

LIV Master

Neo Member
Well, for now she claims, that she has nothing to do with deleted videos, and that was a mistake, or virus, or hacking. She asks everyone to be nice and kind, and that she did everything she could to resolve the issue by writing and sending letters probably to YouTube administration. She also said, that she can't delete her account, because there are a lot of materials she needs for her job, but all of them was hide to private to avoid rude disscussions. Somehow so.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well after a total of 96 emails and them proving to me what they emailed youtube, we just have to wait and see what happens. I still don't know 100% why it affected all "Persona" videos though. It shouldn't even be that easy for someone to just claim the right to a name.
Edit: Her videos are set to private after she was worried about dislikes.
Hum. I wonder if she can ask anyone to have those deleted channels restored in some fashion. Though if someone already took one for the team with respect to counter-notifications, maybe they'd get their stuff restored? Who knows.

Hope she changed her password if she truly got hacked though.

It really shouldn't be that easy to have someone claim the right to one single word at all. Automation is an easy way for people to protect themselves fairly quickly because of what Stump said. The quick and dirty approach is efficient for them because no one want to be legally liable otherwise they'd be in a whole world of trouble. It's certainly an unsympathetic approach to people caught in the crossfire or wrongly accused of something like in this case. It's just irritating that no proof of ownership seems to be required in this case.

I honestly wish something can be done about this, but no changes will probably be made since YT's reporting system is substantially easier to use for people. :/

Aretak

Man, this sucks. I was wondering why my Persona playlist had been absolutely decimated. I assumed it was Atlus on a takedown rampage, but to find out it's not even them doing it is worse. Sadly, I have absolutely zero faith in Youtube to resolve this correctly, and it won't bring back the videos and channels that the owners outright deleted out of fear.

Why do people have to do shitty things like this?

Well, for now she claims, that she has nothing to do with deleted videos, and that was a mistake, or virus, or hacking. She asks everyone to be nice and kind, and that she did everything she could to resolve the issue by writing and sending letters probably to YouTube administration. She also said, that she can't delete her account, because there are a lot of materials she need for her job, but all of them was hide to private to avoid rude disscussions. Somehow so.
Oh she can't delete HER account because she has videos SHE needs.

Tamanon

Banned
So is Atlus going to shut down this Russian's youtube page for using the word Persona?

I think Atlus isn't getting involved in anything that might use lawyers until the Index nonsense is done. Probably just going to live with it for now.

kartu

Banned
Some random actress managed to shut down channels simply through claims? Does Youtube do actual research into the accusations people make?

Nope. One of my youtube videos (news from a non-russian channe showing nothing that was even remotely copirightablel!!!) was shut down by some Russian troll.

I've responded with "are you out of your minds" and they've restored it though.

Goon Boon

Banned
Is there some reason they can't charge a fee for fraudulent claims, and require payment info for being able to takedown?

mihon

This is so BS. Once I had my Youtube account banned 'cause of some anime OST videos. Since it was a sequence there were more than ten videos in a row and so I didn't have even 5 minutes to see what was going on (and delete the videos). So I guess Youtube really doesn't check for anything. If the claims reach certain amount, b-bye to your account. It is so stressful to get you account back (since you can't log anymore) it was easier to do another account. :/

PhoenonX

Neo Member
Has anyone seen any persona related videos get taken down since last night? Or are we safe now?

As far as I can see all the partner-related videos and lets plays appear to be save, unsure about any more of the not-mainstream accounts that have suffered because of this though at of late.

pariah164

From the Atlus USA forum:

We're aware of it and are looking to set things straight. No idea how soon to expect YouTube to respond and begin remedying things, so sit tight till then.

HOPE. :3

atomsk

Party Pooper
I'm wondering exactly how much was flagged, and how much people pulled, but yesterday when I first read the story doing a search of just "persona" got 4.4 million hits, now it's just under 4.2

PhoenonX

Neo Member
Yeesh, she's really saying a lot in her comment section right now, wish I could understand what she's saying because she's made like 15 or so replies the last few hours.

Glad that Atus is aware of this though. hope it gets sorted out and my account as well as everyone else's is back in order soon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeesh, she's really saying a lot in her comment section right now, wish I could understand what she's saying because she's made like 15 or so replies the last few hours.
She's been saying that she isn't at fault and that she's been hacked. And she's trying to get everyone to calm down and not be jerks to her. She's within her right to do that.

Second, if you've had a claim put against you, I think you should PM her on YouTube, nicely ask her if she could retract the claims on the videos (you must supply the video URLs to her) by using the information posted here: http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/ru/retractions.html. I've gathered that she doesn't seem to mind reading machine-translated stuff, so it's certainly worth a try.

This is batshit crazy! lets hope now Atlus are on the case something can be done....

but as a side note, know we know you can claim to own a word on youtube....what words can we report as owning so as to take down all their video's? Bieber? Tropes? anyone for mischief?

/sarcasm

PhoenonX

Neo Member
She's been saying that she isn't at fault and that she's been hacked. And she's trying to get everyone to calm down and not be jerks to her. She's within her right to do that.

Second, if you've had a claim put against you, I think you should PM her on YouTube, nicely ask her if she could retract the claims on the videos (you must supply the video URLs to her) by using the information posted here: http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/ru/retractions.html. I've gathered that she doesn't seem to mind reading machine-translated stuff, so it's certainly worth a try.

I've done it, I'm not sure what will happen though because I'm not even sure if retracting the claims that activated the third strike will bring back my account if it was my third strike.

Also I just realized I forgot to post a link to my original account at http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenonX in the PM I sent her on youtube, I hope that won't be a problem.

Lunar15

This explains why a lot of the Persona Music Live clips that had been up for over a year were randomly disappearing.

I wondered about that, but I figured that was more Atlus wanting to keep the live clips to a minimum so they could release a DVD or a live recording CD.

Things like this make me scared to use my youtube account as 3 strikes may kill my gmail (well it is a gmail that forwards to another account but I would like to keep it) and will kill my youtube subscriptions. I'm already on one strike (could get it to 0 if I just delete the offending videos, sorry SEGA that I was better at marketing videos than you...).

I wonder what large scale case it will take for Youtube to overhaul its ineffective and over zealous content ID system. There was I think a Dutch gaming site channel a while back that was claiming ad revenue on most videos of certain games because footage on their channel matched that of others (despite the footage being different).

Is there some reason they can't charge a fee for fraudulent claims, and require payment info for being able to takedown?
I hope they do. A common tactic copyright fakers are using is claiming content ID on public videos like NASA footage (or sometimes really niche things they do not have the right to), forcing adsense on them (this is one of the things copyright holders can do, much nicer than taking videos down) and claiming illegitimate revenue. The details of these people and their companies also seem rather made-up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh wow, she totally did. Huh.

Wait, wouldn't that mean that people who got their accounts screwed up are left in the lurch because of that?

Things like this make me scared to use my youtube account as 3 strikes may kill my gmail (well it is a gmail that forwards to another account but I would like to keep it) and will kill my youtube subscriptions. I'm already on one strike (could get it to 0 if I just delete the offending videos, sorry SEGA that I was better at marketing videos than you...).

I'm pretty sure that copyright strikes eventually expire after 6 months. I've got 2 strikes a long time ago on one of my YouTube accounts and it now says “(copyright strike expired)” in Video Manager, while I never deleted the video. And I kept uploading videos marked as “Matching third-party content” / “Video blocked in some countries” / “Video blocked worldwide”.

Here it says you need to complete the “Copyright School” which you probably already know.

PhoenonX

Neo Member
Oh wow, she totally did. Huh.

Wait, wouldn't that mean that people who got their accounts screwed up are left in the lurch because of that?

I seriously hope not, you shouldn't be able to claim a bunch of videos, screw over several accounts and then close your account for free.

Even if it's not her fault, still, wish I knew what to do but I guess I just have to trust AtlusUSA in getting this sorted out and hope my account gets out of the wreckage mostly unscathed.

BasilZero

I seriously hope not, you shouldn't be able to claim a bunch of videos, screw over several accounts and then close your account for free.

Even if it's not her fault, still, wish I knew what to do but I guess I just have to trust AtlusUSA in getting this sorted out and hope my account gets out of the wreckage mostly unscathed.

Do you have a YouTube partnership such as Fullscreen or Machinima?

PhoenonX

Neo Member
Nope, no partnership at all, I had about 1800 subscribers and almost 500 videos uploaded but I don't get paid at all for what I do.

Top Bottom