• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh come on, surely someone has killed the battery by now! How long does the thing last?

Reposted for great justice!

I need battery life tests, badly.

On varying levels of brightness (highest and lowest will do), with WiFi/3G on and off and with graphical intensive (Uncharted) and basic looking games (Lord of Apocalypse/PSP games). The best and worst case scenario at least (in between would be nice too!)

Also, how many apps can you have open while playing a game?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can answer the app thing going by the manual - six can be open. If you open a seventh, the first of the six will be closed. There are qualifications in the manual about the multitasking of the video app and browser - though in the latter case it's a bit obscure, says that some web content may not work while in-game.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
after watching the redsun stream, I want it soooo bad :|

Me too. I l was just watching the stream all day. Tomorrow I might go check if the system is sold out or not. I go to work everyday with a train for about 30 minutes and I always fiddle with iPhone or read a book. In that sense this would be a perfect fit.

Can answer the app thing going by the manual - six can be open. If you open a seventh, the first of the six will be closed. There are qualifications in the manual about the multitasking of the video app and browser - though in the latter case it's a bit obscure, says that some web content may not work while in-game.

Is that the same for when you are playing a game as well? Or just when you are on the Vita menu?

Also, what kind of app restrictions are in place for multitasking when a game is running? (I know there's some restrictions on the web browser when ingame for instance!)

Oh, and battery life...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is that the same for when you are playing a game as well? Or just when you are on the Vita menu?

Think it's six at any time...(that is, six including your game, with one game only at a time obvs)

Also, what kind of app restrictions are in place for multitasking when a game is running? (I know there's some restrictions on the web browser when ingame for instance!)

Think the restrictions are video app and web browser 'with some content not working ingame' - whatever that means. But that's just going by the manual...people with the system could confirm what the story is. Maybe was in the RSG stream, but I missed it :p

Eh, either way. If we don't know what settings they used then it's pointless.

We need a proper test with the best case scenario (lowest brightness, WiFi/3G off, Basic looking game) and the worst (highest brightness, WiFi/3G on, Uncharted being played)

onken

Well been fiddling with mine all day. OS is very slick, multi-tasking works great but no browser and game whyyyy.

Comfortable to hold but damn those sticks should have been up top instead, I'll get used to it I guess.

Uncharted looks pretty good but has its off moments. Looking forward to picking up a few more games over the next few days.

Battery is surprisingly good, been charging it off and on so hard to say but definitely seems as good if not better than my PSP 2000.

Happy with my purchase overall.

We need a proper test with the best case scenario (lowest brightness, WiFi/3G off, Basic looking game) and the worst (highest brightness, WiFi/3G on, Uncharted being played)

I may be being thick but there's no brightness setting that I can tell.

Wifi/3G are automatically turned off when one plays Uncharted.

We need another test with highest brightness, both wifi and 3G on (lol), Uncharted + 5 apps opened and a USB grill cooking your dinner :3

jiggle

iirc
they played dream club zero with plug off @ max bright
and mentioned it drained 15%

looking at the time posts were made about that game
that's around 40 or so/more minutes?

Wifi/3G are automatically turned off when one plays Uncharted.

Oh really? Is there no way to turn it on again afterwards, while still playing the game?

If that's the case then playing UMvsC3 online would make for the worst case scenario.

This happens for some 3DS games too. :( WHY?

That happens with OoT 3D and SF643D. Probably an experiment to see if people would rather save on battery life than have streetpass active. Thankfully Nintendo have given up on that idea since every game they've released since then doesn't turn off WiFi.

Majine

Banned
How is the touchscreen controls? Was kinda worried when they showed it a couple of months ago and the guy was more often than not having to do the same finger movements 2-3 times for it to go through.

Don't have access to PSN now, but I don't think it's bad, should be $20-25 tops. Then again PSP is dead in the West, so they cannot charge more.

It is also possible we might get some UMD passport thing like Japan did.
I don't have PSP, so DD is just as good.

Also, is it region free? Can someone from one region buy from other region? That is, can everyone buys the cheaply price US versions?

Hasn't Golden Abyss been in development for more than 2 years?

If the Uncharted tech demo plus the Vita unveiling is anything to go by, than I doubt it was more than a year and a half. The game during the unveiling was super rough, so the vision for what it is now probably didn't form until a bit after the unveiling I assume.

UC2 and 3 did get only like a year in a half of development but ND already had a grasp of the tech by number 2 so Sony maybe should have given Bend more time. ( It is a new platform after all)

Raonak

Banned
Are they restored when you quit the game?

I hope this occurs because of some technical issue, rather than trying to save battery.

Yep, technical issue, apperently wifi (possibly 3g too) turns off when motion sensors are enabled (which is the case with uncharted?)

Not sure if it's a glitch, or that it gets disabled so it doesn't interfeer with the magnetometer.

iirc
they played dream club zero with plug off @ max bright
and mentioned it drained 15%

looking at the time posts were made about that game
that's around 40 or so/more minutes?

If this is correct and the draining is kinda linear... 40 / 0.15 = 266 minutes = 4.43 hours?

4 hours and a half with max brightness playing 3D games would be very good. Not a really scientifically accurate measurement though.

Anyone got info on what you need to do to get 3G working?
I'm also curious if I have the option to wait on using 3G. I would like a 3G model, but may not start using it for until around 1-2 months later (just how I am). While I could just get WiFi, I sort of want the first edition bundle, and I rather just have the 3G in-case instead of not having it (I don't mind paying extra).

I don't have PSP, so DD is just as good.

Also, is it region free? Can someone from one region buy from other region? That is, can everyone buys the cheaply price US versions?

Yes, you can buy from another region's store, but you need to have funds in your PSN wallet. Most of online shops charge extra for that, however I'm sure some GAFer can help you: pay via PayPal, get the code, input into PSN, get money.

I plan on doing that since my main PSN account is US one, and I live in Europe. If you get Vita remember to buy PSN games using the same account you are using on your Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom