• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

areal

What's the deal with Remote Play? Sounds like it works with PS1 games but not with all PS3 games. Is that right? What about PSN games?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Zwei said:
hmm.. Not seeing a huge difference, except for the colors being slightly more vibrant on the Vita.
The blurry handphone pic-quality is not helping anything - but Vita shots "seem" to be Dithering-free, which to me, is one of the top 3 problems with PSP game visuals.

But I'd like someone do a proper account of this - DC, surely you must own the entire PSN library by now, care to give it a whirl for less fortunate among us?
Most darker-looking games(or ports from big consoles) will usually do well to exhibit colors where dithering is at its worst.

jackdoe

The blurry handphone pic-quality is not helping anything - but Vita shots "seem" to be Dithering-free, which to me, is one of the top 3 problems with PSP game visuals.

But I'd like someone do a proper account of this - DC, surely you must own the entire PSN library by now, care to give it a whirl for less fortunate among us?
Most darker-looking games(or ports from big consoles) will usually do well to exhibit colors where dithering is at its worst.
I really, really hope you're right (and on first glance on those blurry phone pics, it surely seems so). And I agree. It definitely is one of the top three problems with PSP visuals.

Purexed

Banned
Thinking about pulling the trigger on an import PSV ar my local shop. Need to know one thing to determine if I should fork over the cash... If I connect my Vita to my PS3 could I copy psp games I have saved on my PS3 to my Vita without issue? Only scooping UMVC3 until the US launch if I do splurge tommorow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Went back with more cash and they still had games available.

Vita and games were tax included which wad a small but welcome surprise. Is that getting common in Japan or is it just for some things?

Not going to be doing much online as I'm in a house with no WiFi for the next two weeks..

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i went through a bunch of PSN games and all i get is 'can't play remote' over and over

tried a bunch of retail games, same thing - i fully expected this -not- to work, but thought at least a handful of titles would work. Horrible feeling it's just Lair again ;)

androvsky

Thinking about pulling the trigger on an import PSV ar my local shop. Need to know one thing to determine if I should fork over the cash... If I connect my Vita to my PS3 could I copy psp games I have saved on my PS3 to my Vita without issue? Only scooping UMVC3 until the US launch if I do splurge tommorow.
If you've installed the PSP games on your PS3, you'll have to download them again. The PS3 after 4.0 will only let you install games from their initial install bubble form (security crap), and you'll probably need 4.0 to connect to the Vita.

i went through a bunch of PSN games and all i get is 'can't play remote' over and over

tried a bunch of retail games, same thing - i fully expected this -not- to work, but thought at least a handful of titles would work. Horrible feeling it's just Lair again ;)
I'm sure for the moment it's the same games the PSP supported, maybe a couple more will get patched now the Vita supports dual-analog. Oh well, don't forget Pixeljunk Monsters...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

I think 22 talks about how to use remote play in his video on the top of this page, because the usual way gave him an error.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Went back with more cash and they still had games available.

Vita and games were tax included which wad a small but welcome surprise. Is that getting common in Japan or is it just for some things?

Not going to be doing much online as I'm in a house with no WiFi for the next two weeks..

Most price anywhere are tax included in Japan. That's the norm. See that little 税込み next to most prices? When it's not it usually has something like (+税xx円) next to the price.

jackdoe

Wouldn't they need to implement new firmware on the PS3 side as well to increase the range of remote play titles? I doubt firmware 4.0 did this.

Purexed

Banned
If you've installed the PSP games on your PS3, you'll have to download them again. The PS3 after 4.0 will only let you install games from their initial install bubble form (security crap), and you'll probably need 4.0 to connect to the Vita.

I'm sure for the moment it's the same games the PSP supported, maybe a couple more will get patched now the Vita supports dual-analog. Oh well, don't forget Pixeljunk Monsters...

Thx!

Jarmel

Banned
What do you mean when you say the controls are bad ?
Can you explain ? Aim is difficult ? Sticks are bad ?

Yea I saw your PM earlier and I was trying to figure out how to describe it on a technical level. I think part of it has to do with the limited range of the sticks and another part is the speed of the aiming( I have it on the highest sensitivity and it still feels sluggish).

Jarmel

Banned
What is the battery life (of course when playing a game and +Wifi and 3G)? Are there any answers to this question yet?

It's surprisingly good(not amazing though). I probably got a solid two hours on a not fully charged battery. No 3G though.

Laguna

Banned
It's surprisingly good(not amazing though). I probably got a solid two hours on a not fully charged battery. No 3G though.

That´s ok. Did you play some online-matches? (I´m not very informed in this front, so I don´t know how many online-games are available)

to be clear, I have to redownload PSP games in pre-install form to install them on the PSP/Vita? even when the installed form is unusable on the PS3 and only meant to transfer to the PSP?

might as well queue this stuff up.

Anyone knows if the game will detect PSP saves made while playing PSP off UMD? I have sealed DJ Max Portable 3, and I don't know whether I should:

1. Open it, play on PSP, transfer save in hopes it will run on PSN version with Vita.

2. Sell it, buy PSN version, play it, in hopes it will work on Vita (DJ Max has clusterfuck protection of its saves due to so many things requiring an unlock in-game).

3. Sell it, wait till Vita launches, buy PSN version, play it on Vita.

to be clear, I have to redownload PSP games in pre-install form to install them on the PSP/Vita? even when the installed form is unusable on the PS3 and only meant to transfer to the PSP?

Yes.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yea I saw your PM earlier and I was trying to figure out how to describe it on a technical level. I think part of it has to do with the limited range of the sticks and another part is the speed of the aiming( I have it on the highest sensitivity and it still feels sluggish).

Send some gaffers to Sony Bend's studio stat!

Laguna

Banned
Nope, also didn't have my wifi on the entire period so I'm sure that will factor in as well.

Will be interesting to see how long you can play online. I haven´t played online neither with DS nor PSP but MK7 spiked up my interest in handheld online-gaming.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm impressed with the battery so far. I've been using it off the charger for about 4 hours now and I still have a decent charge left.

You've been using it for 4 hours or gaming for 4 hours? Makes a world of difference, so I'd like details if possible 'cause 5/6 hours of gaming would make me happy.

Most user reports say around 3/3.5 hours with Wifi off and Uncharted, which would be pretty shitty :/

Jarmel

Banned
Send some gaffers to Sony Bend's studio stat!

I think that comment in the other thread about the inertia being a problem is also true as well. You really have to fight the controls. I'm trying with the motion controls for aiming activated and sadly it's easier to line up precision shots.

The controls are completely borked.

It would take me forever to search for it so I'll just ask. I bought a Vita today, I have a downloaded game and save files on my PSP that I want to move over. Is it possible? I can't seem to find a lot of info on it.

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I just want to move data from my PSP to Vita.

Man

@yosp posted a photo taken with Vita's front camera:

Ag0ognzCQAMGWKf.jpg

https://twitter.com/#!/yosp/status/147818903672864768/photo/1

The greatest.

If someone from J-GAF will have the time later, can we learn about PSP games using the second analog stick? I assume Monster Hunter, 3rd Birthday, Peace Walker will use that. I'm saying it because most likely PSP games will be dirt cheap/on sale come VITA launches, and for people that didn't play the game like me, that could be a great alternative to/after some launch titles.

It would take me forever to search for it so I'll just ask. I bought a Vita today, I have a downloaded game and save files on my PSP that I want to move over. Is it possible? I can't seem to find a lot of info on it.

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I just want to move data from my PSP to Vita.

4Gamer also did somewhat of a comparison of Type-0 on Vita and PSP. Instead of showing how the game's visuals change, 4Gamer tried to move their PSP Type-0 save file over to Vita after installing the Vita management app on their PC. You can read their exploits (in Japanese) here.

http://andriasang.com/comzee/vita_vs_psp/

http://www.4gamer.net/games/075/G007534/20111217013/

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If someone from J-GAF will have the time later, can we learn about PSP games using the second analog stick? I assume Monster Hunter, 3rd Birthday, Peace Walker will use that. I'm saying it because most likely PSP games will be dirt cheap/on sale come VITA launches, and for people that didn't play the game like me, that could be a great alternative to/after some launch titles.
I've tried Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and moving the camera using the second stick is definitely better than on the PSP. Of course, it doesn't feel like camera controls made for the analog stick from the start, but it's not half bad.

Jarmel

Banned
After playing some more, Uncharted visually is all over the place. When it looks good, it looks really damn good. However when it's bad, damn is all I can say.
20111217051401.jpg

20111217051407.jpg

Yes the birds look just as bad on the Vita. Look at the damn birds, they're literally nothing more than fucking pixels.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

You install the PC management software, put the save folders in the folder of your choosing, run "content manager" from the Vita menu and select the saves you want to move.

Raonak

Banned
After playing some more, Uncharted visually is all over the place. When it looks good, it looks really damn good. However when it's bad, damn is all I can say.
Yes the birds look just as bad on the Vita. Look at the damn birds, they're literally nothing more than fucking pixels.

Does it look bad in comparison to PS3 or PSP?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if the screenshot function is taking shortcuts wrt resolution or compression quality. That said, those shots looked a million times better on my tablet than they do on my monitor right now, so size does matter.

In any case, at any res up to 544p, I'm not sure HOW you expect relatively tiny objects at relatively large distances to resolve at anything more than a small clump of pixels :p

I've tried Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and moving the camera using the second stick is definitely better than on the PSP. Of course, it doesn't feel like camera controls made for the analog stick from the start, but it's not half bad.

monster hunter doesn't even have analog camera movement on systems with analog sticks (wii, circle pad pro), so i see it working just as well here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom