• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson50

Complaining about it is only going to make Evilore more annoyed...
Right. Let's just accept our consignment to GAF's hinterland. It's not that bad. The regulars still frequent, and we can promote the thread in the specific OT threads.
That, and it doesn't matter who leads across all states. If Obama nabs every swing state but one, what does it matter if Romney is leading overall by one point?
True. Although I understand the rationale behind clustering states, it does not enhance our understanding. States typically share a general shift. Nevertheless, their outcomes are also influenced by idiosyncratic factors that diminishes the value of clustered polling.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rick Santorum: Colleges diminishing faith.

Rick Santorum makes the claim that 62% of kids that enter college with a faith based conviction leave without it. I'm not sure on the validity of that claim, but awesome if true.

Mock if old.

So I wonder "how" he thinks colleges are going about doing this to their students? And why doesn't he just simply believe that it's the students that are losing their faith on their own?

House of Ras

Obama approval
Approve - 51
Disapprove - 47

Obama 47 Romney 41

Hm, guess they're already going into "The election's close, time to stop rigging the results" mode.

Jackson50

Hm, what's the fundamentally underlying difference between "must carry" and an individual mandate?
So I wonder "how" he thinks colleges are going about doing this to their students? And why doesn't he just simply believe that it's the students that are losing their faith on their own?
They indoctrinate students with radical left-wing concepts such as "reason" and "critical thinking" thereby undermining our principles of discrimination and bigotry.

Diablos

A functional congress would have gotten stuff done, like a budget, real health care reform, campaign finance reform, filibuster reform, etc. Not saying they couldn't do anything, but having control of all branches of government and not getting crap done is hilarious. Voting them out was a referendum on them, frustration about the economy, and the lack of the hope and change that got them elected.
Yeah, I didn't say they were the most ideal ever. But they were far, far better than the Tea Party literally holding the country hostage during the debt ceiling crisis, acting like economic terrorsits. Far better.

I disagree about the Florida poll. Romney right now is bombarding Florida with ads, yet he is down against Obama who hasn't been campaigning at all. I would say that is a pretty good sign. Things can change of course, but it makes me feel better.
It's early. He's advertising for the primary. Can independents vote in the GOP FL primary?

There is no way Obama is going to carry Harrisburg, or anywhere else in the mid state for that matter.
Well, he got Dauphin and Centre county which are in central PA, and a lot of other important counties like Erie and Allegheny.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/individual/#mapPPA

RDreamer

Rick Santorum: Colleges diminishing faith.

Rick Santorum makes the claim that 62% of kids that enter college with a faith based conviction leave without it. I'm not sure on the validity of that claim, but awesome if true.

Mock if old.

I think this has been posted in the thread before. I said it then and I'll say it now: Pieces of shit like Rick Santorum diminish faith. I went to a private Christian college and I came out less faithful than when I went in. I also had a friend that started out pretty faithful and the arrogance and assuredness of the Lutheran teachings at that place drove him into Atheism.

One burning question I have is, what has "shameful" begun to mean to AM radio conservatives? I see it thrown around on Facebook about Obama not putting his hand on his heart during the national anthem and other equally SERIOUS issues. Is it becoming code for something?

I think this has been posted in the thread before. I said it then and I'll say it now: Pieces of shit like Rick Santorum diminish faith. I went to a private Christian college and I came out less faithful than when I went in. I also had a friend that started out pretty faithful and the arrogance and assuredness of the Lutheran teachings at that place drove him into Atheism.

Where is he getting the statistic that 62% of college students lose their faith? I know that a lot of people turn atheist in college, but that number seems too high to be true.

Diablos

One burning question I have is, what has "shameful" begun to mean to AM radio conservatives? I see it thrown around on Facebook about Obama not putting his hand on his heart during the national anthem and other equally SERIOUS issues. Is it becoming code for something?
Oh yeah, can't forget about these fuckers. They'll be back. No worries. -_-

LOL, Santorum is such an idiot, blaming college for diminishing faith.

I have to say, taking part in voting his stupid ass out of the Senate in 2006 was about as exciting as voting for Obama.

RDreamer

Where is he getting the statistic that 62% of college students lose their faith? I know that a lot of people turn atheist in college, but that number seems too high to be true.

I've tried googling to see if I could find a study like that, but I can't come up with anything.

I did find this interesting paper, though.

So what can be said about the religiosity of today’s young adults? As we might expect, recent data from the Add Health study reveals that nearly 70 percent of all young adults who attended church at least once a month during high school subsequently curtailed their church attendance. Contrary to our own and others’ expectations, however, young adults who never enrolled in college are presently the least religious young Americans. The assumption that the religious involvement of young people diminishes when they attend college is of course true: 64 percent of those currently enrolled in a traditional four-year institution have curbed their attendance habits. Yet, 76 percent of those who never enrolled in college report a decline in religious service attendance.

This was the picture a the top of a cnn article

newt-on-the-moon-2.gi.ju.top.jpg

In all seriousness I hate that he is being mocked for this. If it were Obama proposing it I bet people would be all over this.

In all seriousness I hate that he is being mocked for this. If it were Obama proposing it I bet people would be all over this.
I completely agree. Even though it reeks of hypocrisy over spending/cutting government coming from a Republican, space exploration has been left in the dust after Soviet Union disintegrated. Props to Newt for sticking to his guns. Obama and democrats have no love for space exploration at all. I want my fucking moonbases and dudes landing on Mars.

ToxicAdam

Just herd mentality. Words get repeated so much among people of similar thinking that they don't have any meaning at all. If I had a nickel for everytime 'disgusting' was posted on GAF, I'd be a SuperPAC contributer. The same word being used to describe a CEO making 20 million or a husband decapitating his child.

I was checking out Community to organize some multiplayer games and read some game |OT|s, thought why not stop by the US PoliGAF thread and see what you guys think of Obama's chances this year. After this it's back to Off Topic to read the UK PoliGAF thread.

ToxicAdam

Actually, that's a pretty good idea. We should just invade the UK thread and take it over until they shut it down.

#occupyUKthread

Just herd mentality. Words get repeated so much among people of similar thinking that they don't have any meaning at all. If I had a nickel for everytime 'disgusting' was posted on GAF, I'd be a SuperPAC contributer. The same word being used to describe a CEO making 20 million or a husband decapitating his child.
CEO making $20 million isn't disgusting. CEO making $20 million while cutting benefits and pensions of his employees, shifting their jobs to India, serving his customers shit-tacos or sharting on collective bargaining issues is disgusting.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I was listening to some lady on the radio on Saturday and was actually getting angry at what she was saying. I mean, pieces of human garbage like Mark Levine and Laura Ingraham are bad enough, but this lady was spewing verbal diarrhea like no tomorrow. People that must listen to these people to take them seriously are a serious threat to the stability of america and its politicians.

Mike M

Nick N
Right. Let's just accept our consignment to GAF's hinterland. It's not that bad. The regulars still frequent, and we can promote the thread in the specific OT threads.
Except when the thread for the primary gets locked the day before the election...

That's because Newt is a visionary, and people just don't understand genius. Sure, poverty is on the rise, the working class is stagnant while the rich are getting richer, 20% of veterans returning from overseas can't get a job, and Republicans are putting the deficit on the backs of the middle class. We need to do something to show just how great this country is.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Except when the thread for the primary gets locked the day before the election...

That thread wasn't really about the primary. It was the debate, and then it was everything else.

I am planning on making a primary thread if no one else does tomorrow morning just to track entrance/exit polls, campaign speeches, etc.

Because it was going off the topic of the Florida primary. I'll make another thread for results and such tomorrow morning.

I am one hundred percent certain that Newt would have seen fit to keep his mouth shut about moon bases if he wasn't campaigning in Florida.

That thread wasn't really about the primary. It was the debate, and then it was everything else.

I am planning on making a primary thread if no one else does tomorrow morning just to track entrance/exit polls, campaign speeches, etc.
I will cut you.

KtSlime

I completely agree. Even though it reeks of hypocrisy over spending/cutting government coming from a Republican, space exploration has been left in the dust after Soviet Union disintegrated. Props to Newt for sticking to his guns. Obama and democrats have no love for space exploration at all. I want my fucking moonbases and dudes landing on Mars.

I don't think he gets mocked for wanting to do it, I think he gets mocked for his completely unrealistic timeline and plan. I think we should set up a colony on the moon, simply for the practical experience - we have to improve our understanding of space travel and construction sooner or later to ensure the survival of our species, I vote for sooner. However 8 years is laughable, I mean side splitting let me catch my breath laughable.

I'd be willing to listen to Newt and his desire of build a moon colony - if he got some scientists, from like NASA, to work on a basic plan. "OOoh, moon, oooh lets build on it, yeah, Amurika!" isn't worth my or anyone elses consideration.

Haha. True I see "disgusting" around a lot, though I think that's more of an exaggeration of term rather than a completely odd derivation of a term's meaning.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Make sure to link your primary thread in here to improve the chances of it being found and used :(

I will, every PoliGAF-themed thread should link back to here, and I will continually update the OP to add ongoing relevant threads to the theme, like the Obama thread, Romney thread, primary and debate threads.

The moon is just about the worst place imaginable to talk about creating any kind of permanent structure. It's under constant assault by all kinds of debris and is too far away from the Earth. It's foolish to start setting timelines for permanent structures on the moon until we've figured out how to protect ourselves in that kind of environment, which is decades and decades away.

GhaleonEB

I'm busy with close week at work, but I didn't see this in my skim of the thread just now.

http://www.propublica.org/article/freddy-mac-mortgage-eisinger-arnold

Short version:

Freddie Mac, the taxpayer-owned mortgage giant, has placed multibillion-dollar bets that pay off if homeowners stay trapped in expensive mortgages with interest rates well above current rates.

Freddie began increasing these bets dramatically in late 2010, the same time that the company was making it harder for homeowners to get out of such high-interest mortgages.​

Which happens to be in direct conflict with their charter to make home ownership more affordable. The NPR report this morning on the way into work had me yelling at my radio.

I'd fire up a separate thread for the news if I weren't swamped. Ezra Klein has a post about it here.

I'm busy with close week at work, but I didn't see this in my skim of the thread just now.

Short version:

Freddie Mac, the taxpayer-owned mortgage giant, has placed multibillion-dollar bets that pay off if homeowners stay trapped in expensive mortgages with interest rates well above current rates.

Freddie began increasing these bets dramatically in late 2010, the same time that the company was making it harder for homeowners to get out of such high-interest mortgages.​

Which happens to be in direct conflict with their charter to make home ownership more affordable. The NPR report this morning on the way into work had me yelling at my radio.

I'd fire up a separate thread for the news if I weren't swamped. Ezra Klein has a post about it here.

Now that is definitely disgusting.
: D

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

Short version:

I did post that earlier, sorry dude, but it was before Evilore closed the other thread, bringing everybody else over. Crazy stuff, eh?

Diablos

What was Newt thinking when he promised a moon base at the end of his second term?

-Extremely cocky to assume you are getting the nom, winning the GE, and a second term this early on.

-Of all the issues in FL that Newt needs to capitalize on to best Romney, he says stuff like that? No wonder he's losing ground...

ToxicAdam

One of the reforms that Obama (and Congress) should have passed was forcing F&F to remove themselves from being a publicly traded company. Their charter is too important to also have to worry about the whims of stockholders and profits.

But unfortunately, the one party interested in financial reform was also the one who would seek to keep the standard quo.

What was Newt thinking when he promised a moon base at the end of his second term?

It's an idea that Newt has always championed and he just decided to use it to pander to Florida (who recently lost some jobs affiliated with the space industry).

The media has really overblown it, but that's politics.

Really, it's smart not to talk politics with people you know, especially at work.

While we were doing our duties closing the store, this guy I know, who's a Ron Paul supporter, starts telling me that Obama's stimulus gave money to big banks, the stimulus didn't work and is considered the biggest failure of any president, Obama received donations from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, and that the auto bailout failed.

Oh, and he reads Bernie Goldberg's books.

The misinformation out there. It boggles my mind.

Supporters of Newt said:
“When Obama knelt with the Muslims of New York City, I knew we had something bad going on — he really scares me,” Tina Skipper, a retired schoolteacher in Jacksonville, told TPM at a Gingrich town hall. “Romney’s a good candidate, so is Paul, but they’re not strong enough to counteract Obama. Gingrich will say what’s really going on and not flinch.”

“The threat from Muslims — I think the others shy around it,” Eileen Loney, an accountant also attending the event, TPM.

SMH.

Really, it's smart not to talk politics with people you know, especially at work.

While we were doing our duties closing the store, this guy I know, who's a Ron Paul supporter, starts telling me that Obama's stimulus gave money to big banks, the stimulus didn't work and is considered the biggest failure of any president, Obama received donations from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, and that the auto bailout failed.

During a fairly benign conversation with a co-worker about the economy, I mentioned how the wealth gap was widening. He asked where I heard such a thing... he said I was wrong. I mean, it's common knowledge, but I told him I learned it in school, which I think I did at some point. He looked really uncomfortable all of a sudden, got really tense and said I was an indoctrinated, brainwashed Liberal.

Door2Dawn

Banned

Well, isn't that true?

Partof that is true

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Snoop Dogg endorses Ron Paul

Well, chalk it up--Paul is the GOP nominee. Nobody influences the angry old white man party more than a black rap star who smokes weed.

WillyFive

Newt had a good idea, problem is that we know it's not possible to do it as he said, so he's literally just spewing out crazy plans and dirtying the name of the space program even more.

The last thing Nasa needs is an image of being a crazy endeavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom