• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Because sports are more important than politics. Duh.

Hey hey lets pit sports vs politics bro.

Lets no go there

But I do agree that its difficult to keep up but this thread could survive too.

Also you guys do a great job of updating and keeping political novices like me informed.

I don't post often but I am always watching. Always reading.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
obamaproblemsunderstands_1-30-12-2.png

if only the electorate was regular folks and not old white retired racists with cognitive dissonance.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Newt Gingrich is now claiming that he won't attend any presidential debate moderated by a reporter.

Don't worry, Newt--I highly doubt you'll have that problem.

Jackson50

Hopefully, people will stop speculating about the possibility of a late entrant. It was too late months ago. And it certainly is now. Granted, such nonsense has diminished since Romney recovered from his loss in SC.

Also, few days ago I projected Romney might eclipse his margin of victory in NH given the trends; a bold projection, yes. The point estimate in Silver's model has now surpassed 15%, although the projections are dispersed considerably.

Newt Gingrich is now claiming that he won't attend any presidential debate moderated by a reporter.

Don't worry, Newt--I highly doubt you'll have that problem.

Maybe if Newt just bothered to do some opposition research he would be better prepared. He can't just wing it anymore against RomneyBot v2.0.

Puddles

Banned
Fucking Bob Dole had to fuck the Democrats over from beyond the grave.

It was pretty amusing seeing the Republican "establishment" going hard after Newt, but damn I really wanted him to get the nomination.

I suspect that when he came out and said that nominating Newt would hurt Republican chances all the way down the ticket, that put more than a few people into Romney's camp.
Gingrich had been sinking long before Dole decided to say anything. I don't imagine that he made that much of a difference.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Per CNN.

Senate to consider implementing the Buffet tax rule. Obama wants income over $1 Million to be taxed no less than 30%.

The latest PPP poll is showing a late resurgence by Newt in the last couple of days. Probably too late to close the gap especially with all the early voting. But if Newt can finish within a margin of 4-6 points, he can claim a moral victory and continue on decent footing. Particularly since the Mitten campaign has been doing quite a bit of gloating the last several days.

Very interesting. Good enough for a separate thread imo. I wonder why people actually stick closer to religion when in college, then if they never go to college? I didn't see that one coming.

I'm a bit unsure about the wording in that report. I mean when I read

64 percent of those currently enrolled in a traditional four-year institution have curbed their attendance habits. Yet, 76 percent of those who never enrolled in college report a decline in religious service attendance.

I get the impression that 64 percent of those enrolled in college basically stop attending religious services. On the other hand, 76 percent of those who never enrolled are merely reporting a decline in their attendance, not necessarily completely stopping.

Wilsongt

PoliGAF I have a question for you.

So, I was thinking in the shower about something. Right now, most of our politicians and those in congress and all make a lot of money and a lot of them are currently in the pockets of richer people or were born with silverspoons in their mouths.

Do you think it would do any good to actually have more elected people in congress who know what it is like to be part of the middle class or poor class? Those who don't make a lot of money, aren't CEOs of big companies, those who used to work for "job creators" who fired them and are now making record profits? Those who are on the direct receiving in of the ass raping that Congress dishes out daily?

What are your opinions on that? Do you think something of that nature would honestly work if it were possible for people to be elected based on their merit and their ideals and now how many money they can spend on campaigning?

GhaleonEB

The latest PPP poll is showing a late resurgence by Newt in the last couple of days. Probably too late to close the gap especially with all the early voting. But if Newt can finish within a margin of 4-6 points, he can claim a moral victory and continue on decent footing. Particularly since the Mitten campaign has been doing quite a bit of gloating the last several days.

Agree. In particular, keeping it relatively close will make a big difference in the delegate count.

The South Carolina GOP just released their totals:

With 100% of 2,117 precincts reporting, the statewide primary winner was Newt Gingrich. Gingrich won 11 at-large delegates with 40.43% of the vote. Mitt Romney finished second, winning no at large delegates with 27.85% of the vote.

Gingrich also won two delegates in each of the following Congressional districts: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th (for a total of 12 delegates). Romney won two delegates by winning the first Congressional district.

The total allocation of South Carolina’s 25 delegates is as follows: Newt Gingrich 23, Mitt Romney 2.
So long as Newt gets a decent share of Florida's delegates, the totals are going to remain close.

Anyone have an updated delegate count?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Based on what, though? He was absolutely shredded in the debates.

Mike M

Nick N
Agree. In particular, keeping it relatively close will make a big difference in the delegate count.

The South Carolina GOP just released their totals:

With 100% of 2,117 precincts reporting, the statewide primary winner was Newt Gingrich. Gingrich won 11 at-large delegates with 40.43% of the vote. Mitt Romney finished second, winning no at large delegates with 27.85% of the vote.

Gingrich also won two delegates in each of the following Congressional districts: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th (for a total of 12 delegates). Romney won two delegates by winning the first Congressional district.

The total allocation of South Carolina’s 25 delegates is as follows: Newt Gingrich 23, Mitt Romney 2.
So long as Newt gets a decent share of Florida's delegates, the totals are going to remain close.

Anyone have an updated delegate count?

Isn't FL winner-take-all?

I'd fire up a separate thread for the news if I weren't swamped. Ezra Klein has a post about it here.

From Ezra's blog: "When Freddie and Fannie’s huge investment portfolios profit, it helps reduce the potential burden on taxpayers." That is wrong. If Freddie and Fannie can be considered part of the government since the conservatorship, then Freddie's and Fannie's profits don't reduce the burden on taxpayers, they are taxes. A government "profit" is always a tax, because people have to pay for that profit.

This is why people lamenting the fact, for example, that the post office doesn't make a profit are idiots. Especially given that these are usually the same people who staunchly oppose taxes.

So the fact that "[making a profit] has been a priority for FHFA under Edward DeMarco’s leadership" reflects that Edward DeMarco is a goddamn fool.

So no surprise, I guess, that he is defended by the likes of the Wall Street Journal op-ed page.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Do you think it would do any good to actually have more elected people in congress who know what it is like to be part of the middle class or poor class? Those who don't make a lot of money, aren't CEOs of big companies, those who used to work for "job creators" who fired them and are now making record profits? Those who are on the direct receiving in of the ass raping that Congress dishes out daily?

What are your opinions on that? Do you think something of that nature would honestly work if it were possible for people to be elected based on their merit and their ideals and now how many money they can spend on campaigning?
This is how the system should work, but as you've noted, right now you need to be a pretty well off person to even have a shot on the state or federal political stage. Judging a candidate by the merit of their platform should be the focus when evaluating a representative, but we really need to focus on enacting a worthwhile and lasting barrier between money and political candidates before we can even start down that road. It's a really tough problem because those in power to enact those kinds of changes through legislature have a vested interest in making sure the status quo continues. All I can say right now is we need to make the public at large convinced that such a barrier between politics and money is the only sensible thing to do if we want to retain any notion of an equitable democracy and that the system as it stands now is not tilted in their direction.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh wow, this isn't one bit surprising, but still:

Newt, who avoided Vietnam with student and marriage deferments, resisted taking a job. During his college years, Newt called up his father and stepmother to ask for financial help. His stepmother, Marcella McPherson, can still hear his exact words: “I do not want to go to work. I want all my time for my studies…Bob Gingrich told me he will not help me one bit. So I wondered, would you people help me?” Big Newt began sending him monthly checks.

Dolores Adamson, Gingrich’s district administrator from 1978 to 1983, remembers, “Jackie [Gingrich's first wife] put him all the way through school. All the way through the P.h.D…He didn’t work.” Adds Adamson, “Personal funds have never meant anything to him. He’s worse than a six-year-old trying to keep his bank balance…Jackie did that.”

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/01/30/414199/gingrich-refused-work-student/

But it's the poor kids who don't know the meaning of hard work, eh Newt?

All I can say right now is we need to make the public at large convinced that such a barrier between politics and money is the only sensible thing to do if we want to retain any notion of an equitable democracy and that the system as it stands now is not tilted in their direction.

And then get them on the streets demanding it. No system can resist a mass movement that is big enough. Whole governments can be, and have been, made to fall. And all we want is a little electoral reform. But still, the organizing work must be done. Until then, we get nothing.

tomorrow we have to present a persuasive oral argument on a topic of our choosing. i was having a hard time selecting a topic that i'm interested in that is not too controversial/wonkish (i was going to argue why government debt doesn't matter but i don't want to confuse the idiots in class). i finally figured it out: i am going to argue why a permanent space colony is a good idea. thank you based gingrich.

Is big oil reving up to artificially raise gas prices, something that will kick Obama out of office?

The USA is extracting more oil than ever before, but by raising gas prices, oil companies get to hear more calls for "less regulation! more drilling!" and get themselves a nice oil-baby in office.

In California, the average price for a gallon of regular gasoline has risen another 3.3 cents in the last week, to $3.747, according to the AAA Fuel Gauge Report. That's 39.1 cents a gallon higher than the old record for Jan. 30, set just last year.

Nationally, the average is $3.429, up another 4.3 cents over the past week. That's also 33 cents a gallon higher than last year's record for the date.

Meanwhile, fuel supply sources continue to shrink, particularly in the eastern U.S., negating at least some of the effect of continuing low demand for gasoline in the U.S. In its most recent weekly petroleum report, for example, the Energy Department noted another refinery that was set to close.

"On January 18, Hess announced the closure of its HOVENSA joint venture refinery in the U.S. Virgin Islands, a major source of product supply to the East Coast," the Energy Department said. "That planned closure follows on the heels of the idling of two refineries in the Delaware Valley by Sunoco and ConocoPhillips and announced plans by Sunoco to idle another refinery in the region by mid-2012."

The Energy Department added, "The complete idling of the three refineries would collectively cut as much as 50% of current East Coast refining capacity."

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-gas-prices-20120130,0,3885077.story

(Idiotic) people already are blaming Obama for high gas prices. The oil companies know that a new record of $4.60 a gallon this summer means Obama is dead in the water.

Democrats lead Republicans on Rasmussen's generic ballot 41-40, for the first time since 2009.

So when will the pundit class entertain Republicans losing the House as a realistic possibility?

Democrats lead Republicans on Rasmussen's generic ballot 41-40, for the first time since 2009.

So when will the pundit class entertain Republicans losing the House as a realistic possibility?

lol republicans are fucked because they are losing in a generic ballot poll by one point a year before the election? come on mang.

Mike M

Nick N
Is big oil reving up to artificially raise gas prices, something that will kick Obama out of office?

The USA is extracting more oil than ever before, but by raising gas prices, oil companies get to hear more calls for "less regulation! more drilling!" and get themselves a nice oil-baby in office.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-gas-prices-20120130,0,3885077.story

(Idiotic) people already are blaming Obama for high gas prices. The oil companies know that a new record of $4.60 a gallon this summer means Obama is dead in the water.

Not sure if serious...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
And then get them on the streets demanding it. No system can resist a mass movement that is big enough. Whole governments can be, and have been, made to fall. And all we want is a little electoral reform. But still, the organizing work must be done. Until then, we get nothing.

Exactly. I'm hopeful on this issue because it really cuts across the bitter partisan divide that exists in the country right now. I just don't think enough people know how bad the situation is yet. Hopefully it gets more attention in the general election as SuperPACs go wild.

lol republicans are fucked because they are losing in a generic ballot poll by one point a year before the election? come on mang.

1) Not fucked, but losing their grip a little at the moment. Ras has a pretty severe Republican bias, so either the generic ballot is even worse for the GOP or they put out this scary poll to put the fear of God into the party.

2) Nine months, not a year. A lot can still happen but we're not waaayyyy out of election season anymore either.

That would have made for an interesting thread james.

Tin-foil-hat threads are frowned upon. Even if theyre right.

Also, by keeping the big exclusives in this thread, we build up the brand. Let the people know that if they want the scoop, they must post in the poligaf

Plinko

This is legitimate. Unless the U.S. does something about the refinery closures we're screwed. The demand is VERY low in the U.S. right now and prices are still outrageous. This is without any constant threats from Iran affecting gas. Anything big will tip the scales well over the $4 mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom