• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strimei

We need the goddamn Senate. They're going to block indefinitely if we don't get it.

I admit to not knowing all the rules and such but surely there's some ability to ram someone through at some point if they hold out too long, right? I remember something about recess appointments. They gotta go on break at some point (god knows it seems like they're always on a damn break).

NeoXChaos

I thought you needed 60 votes to get rid of the filibusterer? What good does getting rid of it if the House stays Republican?

Good thing Mike Lee won't have the chance because the Dems will have the Senate.

Though this just seems like he's more ready to rebuff Obama like the punk ass he is than anything else.

Revolver

Um... wow, they really try to own up to every piece of bad press they get, don't they:
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/786733379567820800

The bottom fell out long ago but I heard a new low on talk radio today. A woman caller was talking about Trump's Access Hollywood comments and how nothing he says could turn her against him. Since she didn't personally know the women it was no big deal anyway. The host asked her if she would feel that way if it had been her daughter he was talking about. She said she would have taken it as a compliment if he found her daughter attractive. I wanted to just tear my hair out.

Blader

Well the President can make a recess appointment and can convene a quorum to confirm.

It's not as if the Senate hasn't taken any recesses this year. They use some procedure that allows them to still technically be on call even when they're in recess, which has prevented Obama from making any recess appointments.

neoemonk

Also just gonna go ahead and post this gif for posterity:

7Rutx1z.gif

Stuff like that just doesn't surprise me anymore after the now-infamous "Chris Brown can beat me up any day!" tweets from crazy people.

The one that surprised me the most were the rash of women that were talking about how the younger Boston Marathon bomber was attractive while the lockdown was under way.

shiba5

The one that surprised me the most were the rash of women that were talking about how the younger Boston Marathon bomber was attractive while the lockdown was under way.

Not surprising. Even serial killers have groupies.
Hell, Ted Bundy married his.

Kaban

I've been been going back and forth through channels and saw bits of that Hannity interview with Bill's alleged victims. Anyone else see that?

Bowdz

What is the chance that Schumer will nuke the filibuster for all legislation? Has he personally hinted anything?

I know Reid strongly hinted they would.

The Dems had the opportunity to kill the filibuster before and didn't, why do you all think they will now if we gain control of senate?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if anything will continue to be branded with the Trump name on it after this whole thing is over.

The brand is already in the dumps, and this is before conservatives turn on him for failing conservatism by losing to Hillary.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
The Idaho Statesman endorsed Hillary. You'll have to open that in incognito mode to get behind the paywall.

Our seven-member editorial board’s vote for Clinton was nearly unanimous, and we decided this before the audio and video surfaced of Trump’s lewd 2005 conversation about women. A few expressed low to medium enthusiasm for Clinton, and one simply would not endorse her. But the board was unanimous on one count: None could endorse Trump.

I wonder if anything will continue to be branded with the Trump name on it after this whole thing is over.

The brand is already in the dumps, and this is before conservatives turn on him for failing conservationism by losing to Hillary.

Not that he has the ability to be introspective, but you have to imagine at some point after the election the thought is going to have to cross his mind that he burned his entire "empire" to the ground because of this presidential run.

Edit: On second thought he'll just continue to blame everything that happens to him on the media conspiracy and the Democrats.

HylianTom

Banned
The Dems had the opportunity to kill the filibuster before and didn't, why do you all think they will now if we gain control of senate?

We don't have much to go on, to be honest. It's definitely been discussed.

There's a pretty decent piece on SCOTUS and the filibuster from March:
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/liberals-supreme-court-filibuster-220806

The GOP's standard line has been "let the people decide. Let the next President pick." If they go back on this promise after holding things up for a year, and if they indicate that they're going to obstruct indefinitely into the future, I'm guessing that all bets are off.

UMass Lowell (uh, they do polling?) NH

10/7-10/11 (really? In the field for 5 days?)

Hillary: 45
Trump: 39
Johnson: 9
Stein: 2

RVs is Hillary +7

Hassan (D): 44
Ayotte (R): 45

RVs is tied.

Van Ostern (D): 39
Sununu (R): 41

RVs is Sununu +2.

Status