• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

MI/FL superdelegates are 15-5 for for Hillary, so not quite "50". Yet.

Anyway I don't think Obama supporters should complain too much, had FL&MI obeyed the rules, Hillary would probably be the nominee by now.

GhaleonEB

Lefty42o said:
post on huffington from obama about his religion and his church

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/on-my-faith-and-my-church_b_91623.html

Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.
Mark Penn has his thesaurus out right now. "You forgot one!" Press release immanent.

harSon

Banned
Super Delegates from Florida and Michigan should be stripped. I agree with the notion that we should not disenfranchise the people of those two states because of their state governments incompetence... but the Super Delegates are fair game IMO.

Lefty42o

Banned
syllogism said:

Anyway I don't think Obama supporters should complain too much, had FL&MI obeyed the rules, Hillary would probably be the nominee by now.

well if we look at the effects of obama organizing and campaigning in a state and apply that to that happened in mi/fl no she would not have the nomination.

infact instead of the 20-30 delegates from florida alone she is looking at it would have been closer to the 5-10 she got from ohio. thats why both elections were unfair.

even adding in results of mi/fl he would still be ahead in every measure as he is now. the only diff is hillary would have a path to the nomination btter than she does now where she is about dead in the water with out the support of every last super uncommited.

infact had MI/FL had real election its likely obama would have done much better in both. and hillary would have dropped out. she is only in it cause she claims obama can;t win a big state. thats what ohio and texas meant to her campaign.

so no had they waited hillary would not be the nominee.

edit: forgot to mention the next fact that thy both came well befor the inevitable hillary was no loner inevitable.

syllogism

Lefty42o said:
well if we look at the effects of obama organizing and campaigning in a state and apply that to that happened in mi/fl no she would not have the nomination.

infact instead of the 20-30 delegates from florida alone she is looking at it would have been closer to the 5-10 she got from ohio. thats why both elections were unfair.

even adding in results of mi/fl he would still be ahead in every measure as he is now. the only diff is hillary would have a path to the nomination btter than she does now where she is about dead in the water with out the support of every last super uncommited.

infact had MI/FL had real election its likely obama would have done much better in both. and hillary would have dropped out. she is only in it cause she claims obama can;t win a big state. thats what ohio and texas meant to her campaign.

so no had they waited hillary would not be the nominee.

edit: forgot to mention the next fact that thy both came well befor the inevitable hillary was no loner inevitable.

If FL/MI primaries had been on super tuesday, I think it would have been difficult to catch up in Florida as the demographics seem to favor Hillary. The results could very well have then affected the other February primaries and the superdelegate flow, but yes perhaps Obama might still have been competitive.

Obama will talk about Wright on CNN,MSNBC and Fox today.

GhaleonEB

It's ironic, actually. FL and MI wanted to move their primaries up so they had more influence in the election. I think they did, but only by not being counted initially.

sangreal

syllogism said:

What super delegates? Super delegates are part of the state delegation. No state delegation = no super delegates. What am I missing here?

syllogism

sangreal said:
What super delegates? Super delegates are part of the state delegation. No state delegation = no super delegates. What am I missing here?
Once there is a deal, and there will be, she'll get those superdelegates.

Obama will be on Hannity today, hah.

Tamanon

Banned
sangreal said:

All of this talk is about seating the state's delegates. If the state gets sat as part of a deal, the the super delegates would most likely be also.

mosaic

go eat paint
syllogism said:
Had FL&MI obeyed the rules, Hillary would probably be the nominee by now.
I don't know about Florida, but Michigan's primary was originally supposed to be in early March. Judging by the sentiment here in Lansing and on the Detroit-based TV stations I get, the odds are good that they would have come close to a 50/50 split. Probably a slight lead for Hillary given the "open primary" factor. This was Romney land back in January. In any case, had we here in Michigan gone to the polls this month, it'd still be a deadlock... just they'd both have a few more delegates.

GhaleonEB

On a call with some of his major California donors yesterday, Barack Obama acknowledged that Pennsylvania will be a steep uphill battle, and said that his aim is to get within 10 points of Hillary there, something that he said would be a "victory" for him, according to a donor on the call.

"He said that Pennsylvania is tough for them and that the demographics really are not the best for them," the donor tells me, adding that Obama was speaking to the group of 40-odd contributors via conference call.

"He said his goal is to finish within 10 points, and that that would be a victory for them. He said he'll be making a big effort there, but that she should win it and that the goal is to finish within 10."

Asked for comment on the conversation, Obama spokesperson Bill Burton didn't deny that it had taken place, saying: "She has a big lead, she won Ohio by 10 points and she is the favorite -- but we will fight as hard as we can for votes and delegates."

Obama's remarks are significant, because defining a Pennsylvania victory (and defeat) in such specific terms could make it tougher for the campaign to frame the actual results when they happen should he lose by more than 10 points. If he comes in under 10, however, setting expectations in advance this way could help.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/03/obama_tells_major_donors_that.php

Cheebs

You know. Watching day by day how national (and statewide) numbers go up and down depending on that days news I have to wonder.

Who are these 10%~ of voters who change their vote daily depending on what the lead story on CNN is that day? Who has a mindset like this?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Cheebs said:
You know. Watching day by day how national (and statewide) numbers go up and down depending on that days news I have to wonder.

Who are these 10%~ of voters who change their vote daily depending on what the lead story on CNN is that day? Who has a mindset like this?
1) There are margins of error.

2) I've recently met some people that vacillate constantly, and their stances are somewhat reactionary to whichever candidate they currently feel is most slighted by the media and/or the other candidate.

Tamanon

Banned
LOL, McCain actually said that he wouldn't be surprised if Al Qaeda did a large attack in order to influence the election.:lol

Cheebs

Tamanon said:
LOL, McCain actually said that he wouldn't be surprised if Al Qaeda did a large attack in order to influence the election.:lol
Usually that works in FAVOR of republicans. Scare tactics and the like.

Xisiqomelir

Rur0ni said:

Much better, ty.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/13/clinton.black/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton apologized to a gathering of black newspaper publishers Wednesday for a top fundraiser's controversial comments that Sen. Barack Obama's race has helped his candidacy.

Sen. Clinton at the National Newspaper Publishers Association event in Washington on Wednesday.

The New York senator found herself in the hot seat after the remarks by Geraldine Ferraro -- a former New York congresswoman, Democratic vice presidential candidate and Clinton supporter.

"I rejected what she said and I certainly do repudiate it," Clinton said at the National Newspaper Publishers Association meeting in Washington.

Ferraro resigned from the campaign Wednesday after widespread criticism over her comments about Obama's race, originally published late last week in the Torrance, California, Daily Breeze.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept," she said.Video Watch analysts weigh in over Ferraro's comments »

Clinton was asked about remarks her husband, former President Bill Clinton, made while on the trail for his wife in South Carolina last month in which he seemed to imply that Obama's success in South Carolina would largely be based on his race.

"I'm sorry if anyone was offended. It certainly was not meant in anyway to be offensive," she said.

She even apologized for President Bush's lackluster response regarding Hurricane Katrina.

"I apologize and I am embarrassed that our federal government so mistreated our citizens."

Her aides say this is not a mea culpa tour, but rather a clear message that she has not given up on the black vote.

"So the numbers are skewed and it appears that we are losing ground in the African American community. She is not conceding that vote whatsoever," a Clinton spokesperson said.

But looking ahead, she certainly has her work cut out for her.

While Obama has steadily seen his African American support grow -- 78 percent in South Carolina, 90 percent in Virginia and 92 percent in Mississippi -- Clinton has lost ground.
advertisement

"They're open to her, but at this point they're kind of lukewarm because of the disparaging comments of some of her people, not necessarily hers," said John Smith, chairman of the NNPA.

While Clinton tries to minimize the damage, she is leaning on loyalists like Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter. High profile supporters will help, but Clinton needs votes to win and she will almost certainly campaign relentlessly to get them.

Rejects and repudiates, but does she denounce it? :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So how many times now has Clinton and Obama agreed to not attack each other, only for the campaigns to start attacking again in only a few days?

Xisiqomelir

Cheebs said:

Idiots and the gullible.

AniHawk

grandjedi6 said:
So how many times now has Clinton and Obama agreed to not attack each other, only for the campaigns to start attacking again in only a few days?

There's a slight difference. Obama('s campaign) attacks Hillary on the issues and her lack of transparency. Hillary('s campaign) attacks Obama personally with lies and divisive comments.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cheebs said:
Usually that works in FAVOR of republicans. Scare tactics and the like.

Doesn't it work good either way for the repubs? If nothing happens that means the surge is working = McCain was right.

If they get worst in Iraq means they are only doing it to put a dem in the white house = McCain needs to be in the white house.

I don't agree with this.

Tamanon

Banned
Triumph said:
Wait, what else is he gonna be on tonight? AC 360 and Colmes?

Yup, they just played his interview on FOX, was done by Major Garrett who acted like a prosecutor.:lol Handled the fire well though. Probably the most hostile interview I've seen of a sitting politician.

Triumph

Banned
Tamanon said:
Yup, they just played his interview on FOX, was done by Major Garrett who acted like a prosecutor.:lol Handled the fire well though. Probably the most hostile interview I've seen of a sitting politician.
Yeah, I just tuned in and saw one of the Faux talking heads saying that Obama had "tied his Presidential hopes" or some such crap to the notion that he'd never been present for one of Wright's tirades. I chuckled and changed the channel.

Honestly, it's for the best that this has happened so far out from ANY primary. That way it should be out of the news cycle. Can you imagine if this had been part of the "kitchen sink"? Ouch.

Of course, I should note that I agree with Wright re: America's stupid foreign policy coming home to roost. Saying "God damn America" is pretty dumb, tho. (especially since I don't believe in God, lol)

Tamanon

Banned
Triumph said:
Yeah, I just tuned in and saw one of the Faux talking heads saying that Obama had "tied his Presidential hopes" or some such crap to the notion that he'd never been present for one of Wright's tirades. I chuckled and changed the channel.

Honestly, it's for the best that this has happened so far out from ANY primary. That way it should be out of the news cycle. Can you imagine if this had been part of the "kitchen sink"? Ouch.

Of course, I should note that I agree with Wright re: America's stupid foreign policy coming home to roost. Saying "God damn America" is pretty dumb, tho. (especially since I don't believe in God, lol)

Out of context yeah it's a pretty dumb thing to say, but when you combine it with his reasoning and compared to having us sing God Bless America it makes sense.

But yeah, angry black man preaching against the whites. This should go over well:p

I still don't get though why Obama doesn't state very clearly that to cast him as a racist is nonsense. He should really push the fact that because his mother was white and father was black that he's above that sort of thinking and behavior and can unite the country.

A couple of quotes from Glenn Beck's article up on CNN that I found should be mentioned.

Americans aren't disenfranchised because our leaders won't count votes in a couple of states. They're disenfranchised because our leaders aren't doing their jobs. They're disenfranchised because after working hard to support their families and to raise kids who understand the difference between right and wrong, their leaders do exactly the opposite.

But no matter what you think should happen, you have to admit that Clinton's idea that we should simply count her "wins" in Florida and Michigan is completely ridiculous.

In fact, if you played a rimshot and a laugh track behind her every time she recited that line, people might actually agree to a two-drink minimum to see her speak. How could you possibly count the results from an election when your main opponent wasn't even on the ballot (at least in Michigan)? You can't -- unless you think the rules are simply there for your own amusement.

After all, what would it say about personal responsibility in this country if we allow the two states that broke all the rules to end up having the biggest say of all?

Lefty42o

Banned
maximum360 said:
I still don't get though why Obama doesn't state very clearly that to cast him as a racist is nonsense. He should really push the fact that because his mother was white and father was black that he's above that sort of thinking and behavior and can unite the country.

cause its hard. in the black community its hard for people to say your black if your mixed. he has already been hit with the not black enough line.

Tamanon

Banned
Plus, you can be racist and be mixed anyways.

The argument isn't that the Reverend is racist, it's that he's anti-American, either one is off, but that's what it is.

Tamanon said:
Plus, you can be racist and be mixed anyways.

The argument isn't that the Reverend is racist, it's that he's anti-American, either one is off, but that's what it is.

The media is playing this from both ends though. I think at this point he's proven himself as the black candidate. He shouldn't disown that, but instead emphasize that he's also part white. We'll see where this is in a week or so. That will likely determine if this thing has staying power. Of all the other issues though, this could affect his attempts at the Presidency the most.

The best way out of this really, is to offer Hillary the veep spot and have her go out as his attack dog. She can reign the white and mostly female vote back in.

Cheebs

You kids aren't going to like this.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Advertisment

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Saturday shows Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton essentially even in the race for the Democratic Presidential Nomination. It’s Obama 46% Clinton 45%
(see recent daily results). This reflects an unusually sharp change from yesterday’s results when Obama led by eight points and reached the 50% level of support for the first time. Daily tracking results are collected via nightly telephone surveys and reported on a four-day rolling average basis. Last night’s results were very favorable for Clinton and it remains to be seen whether this marks a lasting change in the race or is merely statistical noise. Single night results are based upon very small samples and are more volatile than the overall tracking poll.

Obama went from +8 to +1 post-Wright.

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs said:

Lemme tell you, race relations in this country will be awesome if the first black president is foiled by America reacting to a black preacher;)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cheebs said:

He'll rebound back. Unlike you apparently :p

nwhbm1.gif

Mike M

Nick N
ToyMachine228 said:
A couple of quotes from Glenn Beck's article up on CNN that I found should be mentioned.

Americans aren't disenfranchised because our leaders won't count votes in a couple of states. They're disenfranchised because our leaders aren't doing their jobs. They're disenfranchised because after working hard to support their families and to raise kids who understand the difference between right and wrong, their leaders do exactly the opposite.

Statements like this make me wonder if the person saying them realizes that "disenfranchisement" isn't the same thing as "disenchantment."

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0316edit1mar16,0,2616801.story

We said in that same editorial that Obama had been too self-exculpatory in explaining away his ties to Tony Rezko. And we've been saying since Nov. 3, 2006—shortly after the Tribune broke the story of Obama's house purchase—that Obama needed to fully explain his Rezko connection. He also needed to realize how susceptible he had been to someone who wanted a piece of him—and how his skill at recognizing that covetousness needed to rise to the same stature as his popular appeal.

Friday's session evidently fulfills both obligations. Might we all be surprised by some future disclosure? Obama's critics have waited 16 months for some new and cataclysmic Rezko moment to implicate and doom Obama. It hasn't happened.

Obama said Friday that voters who don't know what to make of his Rezko connection should, in the wake of his discussion with the Tribune, "see somebody who is not engaged in any wrongdoing . . . and who they can trust." Yes, he said, he comes from Chicago. But he has risen in this corrupt Illinois environment without getting entangled in it.

Obama tries to live by "high ethical standards," he said. Although "that doesn't excuse the mistake I made here."

Obama should have had Friday's discussion 16 months ago. Asked why he didn't, he spoke of learning, uncomfortably, what it's like to live in a fishbowl. That made him perhaps too eager to protect personal information—too eager to "control the narrative."

Less protection, less control, would have meant less hassle for his campaign. That said, Barack Obama now has spoken about his ties to Tony Rezko in uncommon detail. That's a standard for candor by which other presidential candidates facing serious inquiries now can be judged.

This theoretically should put Rezko to bed. He basically answered all their questions for an hour and a half on the subject and they concluded that there was nothing wrong with what he did.

Cheebs

It didnt have a chance to make it to the network news outside of ABC, just cable so we havent seen the full extent of this yet. Sunday morning network political shows will cover it nonstop. We'll probably know the full impact of the story on monday's daily trackings.

After that, just gotta hope everything cools down again.

syllogism

GhaleonEB said:
Rasmussen closed down as well. Freaking media. Playing the public like a piano.
Uh, while I certainly think Hillary might even take the lead, that swing doesn't really prove anything especially since the day before that the lead was mere 2%.

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs said:
It didnt have a chance to make it to the network news outside of ABC, just cable so we havent seen the full extent of this yet. Sunday morning network political shows will cover it nonstop. We'll probably know the full impact of the story on monday's daily trackings.

After that, just gotta hope everything cools down again.

What? It started on ABCNews. The response didn't make network news, but the preacher certainly did.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Uh, while I certainly think Hillary might even take the lead, that swing doesn't really prove anything especially since the day before that the lead was mere 2%.
What? His lead on Ras yesterday was 8, today its 1. Yesterday on Gallup it was 6, now its 3.

Also both sites use multi-day tracking. 4 for Ras, 3 for Gallup.

meaning Fridays results were MUCH higher for Hillary than the overall tracking shows. Obama by pure mathematical statistics will go down more tomorrow due to the strong wed-thrus numbers being factored out.

Don't be surprised if she retakes the lead by sunday. Just remember, 5 weeks till PA. This will be over with by then.

Tamanon said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0316edit1mar16,0,2616801.story

This theoretically should put Rezko to bed. He basically answered all their questions for an hour and a half on the subject and they concluded that there was nothing wrong with what he did.

That's what I've been saying he should do about this pastor business. Get it all out in the open infront of the press. Let them ask their questions to end the speculations, and hopefully in a few days/week it will all be a faint memory (except on right wing talk radio).

Cheebs

maximum360 said:
That's what I've been saying he should do about this pastor business. Get it all out in the open infront of the press. Let them ask their questions to end the speculations, and hopefully in a few days/week it will all be a faint memory (except on right wing talk radio).
He also wisely did it when the media is obsessed with Wright so rezko gets no play.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
What? His lead on Ras yesterday was 8, today its 1. Yesterday on Gallup it was 6, now its 3.

Also both sites use multi-day tracking. 4 for Ras, 3 for Gallup.

meaning Fridays results were MUCH higher for Hillary than the overall tracking shows. Obama by pure mathematical statistics will go down more tomorrow due to the strong wed-thrus numbers being factored out.

Don't be surprised if she retakes the lead by sunday. Just remember, 5 weeks till PA. This will be over with by then.
It seems you still don't comprehend statistics. I'm not saying there has not been any movement, I'm saying you can't KNOW THAT based on the evidence so far. Just stick to posting negative stories instead of analyzing them.

e: in fact the news cycle has been so negative, it's very likely she will take the lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom