• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
It seems you still don't comprehend statistics. I'm not saying there has not been any movement, I'm saying you can't KNOW THAT based on the evidence so far. Just stick to posting negative stories instead of analyzing them.
A shift of -7% in a four day tracking poll is not movement? That is way outside the margin of error.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
A shift of -7% in a four day tracking poll is not movement? That is way outside the margin of error.
I was referring to Gallup. It's quite clear Obama has, according to Rasmussen, lost some ground. Whether it is a few percent or more, there's no way to tell yet. Further, this may seem inane, but 5% of the time the margin of error is more than the stated one. Even the Rasmussen quote you posted says it could be just noise.

Like I said, she could very well take the lead in both tracking polls in the next few days. I'm just annoyed by the way some of you analyze these polls.

e: InsiderAdvantage Mississippi poll went from +6% to +17% in 3 days

Ripclawe

Banned
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080314/D8VDEDBO2.html

Michigan Democrats agreed Friday to push a do-over primary in early June to give them a say in the close presidential race between Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

Amid talks with the two campaigns, the four Michigan Democrats said in a statement they were "focusing on the possibility of a state-run primary in early June which would not use any state funding." Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, one of the Democratic participants, said a likely date is June 3.

"This option would require the passage of legislation by the state legislature, and we look forward to working with the members of the legislature in the coming days to see if this option can be made a reality," the Democrats said.

Other Michigan Democrats working on the plan were Democratic National Committee member Debbie Dingell, Sen. Carl Levin and United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger.

To go forward, any plan would require the approval of the two campaigns, the Democratic National Committee, state party leaders and Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who is backing Clinton.

Michigan Democrats need to act quickly because the politically divided legislature will have to sign off on the deal and approve how to spend the privately raised funds for a new election. Members of the Democratic-controlled state House and Republican-controlled state Senate leave at the end of the month on their two-week spring break.

The contest must be held by June 10 for the results to count under DNC rules.

Cheebs

wtf...why did the newscaster on CNN just say
"If Hillary is able to capture PA it would be a knock out punch to Obama."

syllogism

Why are we supposed to care what a random newscaster says

Shockingly it doesn't appear the Clinton camp is eager to seize the 1/2 vote deal in Florida

harSon

Banned
Kind of funny that the punishment for Michigan moving up their primary to be relevant is making them even more relevant :lol

syllogism

Obama claims Iowa gains

Iowa's county conventions were today, and they were expected to be the site of a scramble for supporters of Edwards and other candidates who left the race.

I've been getting emails all day from Iowans at conventions who say that the bulk of these free agents have broken Obama's way, and in a conference call with reporters, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe claimed that Obama has gained at least 5 national delegates.

With three of the state's 45 delegates still unallocated, he said, Obama stands at 21, Clinton at 14. On caucus day, the numbers were Obama 16, Clinton 15.

The numbers aren't final yet, of course.

But (aside from the substantial delegate gain) what does it mean?

The Obama campaign was spinning it as an indicator of where voters are going: "We did very well in the blue collar areas," said Plouffe, who said Obama had vaulted from third to first in Wapello County.

[cut some rather odd Ben Smith spin]

Sounds promising but we'll see

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/Obama_claims_Iowa_gains.html

More:

http://thepage.time.com/2008/03/15/iowa-delegate-selection-goes-on/

More Pelosi support:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jbmaeGHPflyoZifK0IsXS9tCsWvwD8VE3FU00

e: results will be available here http://www.iowademocrats.org/ and preliminary results are already up

syllogism

From NBC's Chuck Todd
We have final delegate allocation estimates directly from the Iowa Democratic Party based on today's 99 county conventions. The results, Obama indeed did gain 7 delegates to up his total from 16 (earned on Jan. 3) to 23 now. Clinton upped her total by 1, from 15 to 16 and Edwards dropped 8 delegates to 6. Those six will be up for grabs, perhaps, at the Iowa Democratic Party state convention in June.
So a net gain of 6 delegates

syllogism said:
So a net gain of 6 delegates

That's awesome news. Despite what everyone sees in the media about both Obama and Clinton, I think a lot of people are over looking how well Obama has done since Super Tuesday. I mean, he's won...Every contest aside from Ohio and Rhode Island, gained a lot of endorsements, and gained a lot of super delegates. I really wish this could be over. Obama has run one of the best campaigns in a long time. If he was up against ANYONE else in the Democratic party, they would have been knocked out a long time ago. But since Hillary was a celebrity heading into this and was considering the favorite the day she announced that she was running, it's been a lot harder. And he's still managed to win basically every step of the way in every aspect. He's won more states, more delegates, has the popular vote, has raised a ton of money, and has delivered on what he said his campaign would be about. I really feel that at this point, Hillary is doing nothing outside of spending money, hurting the party, and hurting Barack for the general election.

AniHawk

ToyMachine228 said:
That's awesome news. Despite what everyone sees in the media about both Obama and Clinton, I think a lot of people are over looking how well Obama has done since Super Tuesday. I mean, he's won...Every contest aside from Ohio and Rhode Island, gained a lot of endorsements, and gained a lot of super delegates. I really wish this could be over. Obama has run one of the best campaigns in a long time. If he was up against ANYONE else in the Democratic party, they would have been knocked out a long time ago. But since Hillary was a celebrity heading into this and was considering the favorite the day she announced that she was running, it's been a lot harder. And he's still managed to win basically every step of the way in every aspect. He's won more states, more delegates, has the popular vote, has raised a ton of money, and has delivered on what he said his campaign would be about. I really feel that at this point, Hillary is doing nothing outside of spending money, hurting the party, and hurting Barack for the general election.

Fully agreed. At this point, a Clinton win would only mean the destruction of the party, and disillusionment in politics among young voters (such as myself). Right now, she's just being selfish.

lopaz

Banned
AniHawk said:
Fully agreed. At this point, a Clinton win would only mean the destruction of the party, and disillusionment in politics among young voters (such as myself). Right now, she's just being selfish.

Yes. I can't believe what she is doing now. When you see archive footage of her back in the 90s she seems like someone who genuinely cared about politics and wanted to do good, now she's willing to risk destroying the party for the sake of her personal ambition.

mj1108

031408DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tracey Morgan on SNL just now :lol :lol :lol (just gave a pro-Obama rant)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Interviews with dozens of undecided superdelegates — the elected officials and party leaders who could hold the balance of power for the nomination — found them uncertain about who, if anyone, would step in to fill a leadership vacuum and help guide the contest to a conclusion that would not weaken the Democratic ticket in the general election.

While many superdelegates said they intended to keep their options open as the race continued to play out over the next three months, the interviews suggested that the playing field was tilting slightly toward Mr. Obama in one potentially vital respect. Many of them said that in deciding whom to support, they would adopt what Mr. Obama’s campaign has advocated as the essential principle: reflecting the will of the voters.
“If we get to the end and Senator Obama has won more states, has more delegates and more popular vote,” said Representative Jason Altmire, Democrat of Pennsylvania, who is undecided, “I would need some sort of rationale for why at that point any superdelegate would go the other way, seeing that the people have spoken.”

Mr. Altmire said he was repeating an argument that he made to Mrs. Clinton during a session at her house in Washington on Thursday night with uncommitted superdelegates
Members of Congress from states where Mrs. Clinton won or seems likely to win, including Mr. Brown in Ohio and Mr. Altmire in Pennsylvania, made a point of saying they would not feel bound by how their states voted
“A key question to me is how the candidates would affect the down-ballot races,” said Steven Achelpohl, the Democratic state chairman in Nebraska. “I think Obama would have a more positive impact on our other races out here in Nebraska.”
“Every day that this continues, people can surmise that this is going to the convention in Colorado and it could be decided by the superdelegates,” said Gov. Joe Manchin III of West Virginia, the head of the Democratic Governors Association. “There is not a superdelegate that I have spoken to who wants that to happen.”
In Ohio, Senator Sherrod Brown would seemingly have an easy task. Mrs. Clinton won his state by 10 points. If the nominating fight had to be resolved by party leaders, wouldn’t he side with her? Not necessarily.

“It’s the overall popular vote, it’s the overall delegates, it’s who is bringing energy to the campaign, it’s who has momentum,” Mr. Brown said. “It should be wrapped up before the convention, and I think it will be.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/us/politics/16delegates.html?_r=2&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print

sv47xd.gif

GhaleonEB said:
This was posted at the end of the (mercifully locked) other thread. Worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsqDTVmlKk

Hot Air had a great reaction to that vid:

A reference to Wright? Doubtful — the ugly-head-raising he has in mind has been happening “over the last several weeks,” a timeline which would seem to point away from kindly Rev. Jeremiah and towards … who? Hillary? The GOP? Or the great mysterious They that’s forever trying to engineer race-hate, lately through the appalling practice of criticizing Barack Obama for shrugging off his spiritual guru’s rhetorical poison for 20 years? By caring that he’s bosom buddies with a hate merchant, you’re letting Them win — and he simply “will not allow us to lose this moment.” So here’s six minutes on MLK, RFK, and why it’s so important not to let the project of American unity be sidetracked by pausing to wonder how seriously he takes that project when he’s not busy running for president.

LINK

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
"Last week my girl Tina Fey proclaimed that bitch is the new black. Bitch might be new black, but the new President is black, bitch." - Tracy Morgan on SNL. Don't ban me :lol

siamesedreamer said:

LINK

I had a response for you on this but I'd rather keep this a civil discussion. You did your job well enough along with others to kill the other thread. Please keep the nonsense out of this one.

AniHawk

reilo said:
"Last week my girl Tina Fey proclaimed that bitch is the new black. Bitch might be new black, but the new President is black, bitch." - Tracy Morgan on SNL. Don't ban me :lol

That was fucking awesome.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Poison! Some of the most reactionary, inflammatory language of this whole race is being used over this preacher. Meanwhile there's no actual proof that Obama supports these views. In fact, everything Obama has said up until now has shown us the exact opposite. And now we're supposed to believe that "Black Hitler" is just plotting to kill all the whities once he stops campaigning?

That's not a good response, it's just more anti-Obama BS. Take off the tinfoil hats for a bit and use your brians, morans.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
HOLY SHIT.

Darroll Hammond is an impression GOD. He's doing John McCain on SNL now and he is spot on. Got the whistle down, too.

AniHawk

reilo said:
HOLY SHIT.

Darroll Hammond is an impression GOD. He's doing John McCain on SNL now and he is spot on. Got the whistle down, too.

One of my favorites was him as Tim Russert interviewing (the actual) John McCain. It was about 6 years or so though.

syllogism

Wow, Ben Smith says Obama in fact gained even more delegates out of Iowa

Original: 16-O, 15-C, 14-E
Now: 25-O, 14-C, and 6-E

Confirmed by Obama campaign too:
Iowans went to the county conventions today to make clear that they want a Democratic nominee who will bring real change to this country and who will be the strongest candidate against John McCain. With all of the results in, Senator Obama earned 25 delegates, while Senator Clinton earned 14. Senator Obama netted ten delegates tonight. For comparison purposes, Senator Clinton netted nine delegates in Ohio.

Hillary probably won't like this one:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...3/15/AR2008031502338.html?hpid=topnews&sub=AR

Late Calls Rarely Merit Snap Decisions

By Michael Abramowitz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 16, 2008; Page A01

There is no dispute, as a dramatic campaign ad from Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign suggests, that presidents get plenty of phone calls at 3 a.m.

A sleeping Ronald Reagan was alerted early in the morning to what turned out to be the accidental shoot-down of an Iranian passenger plane. George H.W. Bush was informed after he went to bed of an apparent coup against Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev. Bill Clinton received word in the middle of the night that negotiations had broken down in the case of Elian Gonzalez, the Cuban boy whose relatives were battling the federal government to prevent him from returning home.

But in none of these cases were presidents asked to make major decisions. Instead, former White House advisers say, these calls -- and countless others like them -- were largely aimed at keeping the president informed of critical developments, particularly ones that might cause embarrassment if the public learned that a commander in chief had slept through the episode undisturbed.

"In my experience, I cannot think, off the top of my head, of a snap decision that had to be made in the middle of the night," said Henry A. Kissinger, the former secretary of state and national security adviser. In fact, he said in an interview, "I think that one should reduce the number of snap decisions to be made."

As the image of a sleeping child flashes across the screen, the announcer in the Clinton ad intones: "There's a phone in the White House and it's ringing. Something's happening in the world. Your vote will decide who answers that call, whether it's someone who already knows the world's leaders, knows the military, someone tested and ready to lead in a dangerous world."

While the scenario is not inconceivable, former presidential advisers and historians say that it misses the point that good presidential decision-making plays out over time, and in more mundane ways.

"It's a bit of a specious issue, somehow implying you need better judgment in the middle of the night," said onetime Clinton administration official David Rothkopf, author of a book on the National Security Council, and who describes himself as a Hillary Clinton supporter.

The recollections of Kissinger, senior advisers in both parties and presidential historians offer an interesting counterpoint to the suggestion by the Clinton ad that critical decisions are often made in the dead of night.

The situation that unfolded after the discovery of Soviet nuclear missiles in Cuba in October 1962, perhaps the greatest crisis of the Cold War, is a case in point.

As chronicled by historian Michael R. Beschloss in "The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev, 1960-1963," National Security Adviser McGeorge Bundy decided to wait until morning to tell President Kennedy that the CIA had aerial photos of the missiles. Bundy knew the president was tired after a late flight from New York, and he would later tell Kennedy that he concluded "a quiet evening and a night of sleep were the best preparation" for what would undoubtedly be a major crisis. Kennedy then took more than a week to craft a response with his advisers before going public with the news.

Fred I. Greenstein, the scholar of the presidency at Princeton University, said the episode "refutes the notion that presidents have to be on the job in a crisis situation the moment the crisis breaks. It shows that it might be good judgment involved in not waking people up. Presidents who desire to be up at all hours may not be wired in ways that are fully in sync with the needs of the job."

Of course, presidents have also seen the downside of their aides allowing them to sleep through the night. Perhaps the most famous episode came in 1981, when Navy fighters were confronted by Libyan jets and returned fire, downing the attackers. Reagan biographer Lou Cannon recounts that presidential adviser Edwin Meese III was in charge at the time and learned about the incident after the president and first lady had retired for the evening.

While he notified Vice President Bush and other members of the National Security Council, Meese waited for more than five hours before waking the president, who "listened to the news approvingly, then went back to sleep," Cannon wrote in "President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime." The episode exposed Reagan to a barrage of criticism for being out of touch and damaged Meese's standing in the administration.

The episode also made future presidential advisers more sensitive to the public-relations dimensions of middle-of-the-night "crises." When Brent Scowcroft became national security adviser for the second time in 1989, he remembers, the first thing the media wanted to know was under what circumstances would he wake up the president.

"I had a very simple formula: If it affected the life of a U.S. citizen, you woke the president," said Kenneth M. Duberstein, Reagan's last chief of staff. But he said: "At 3 o'clock in the morning, unless there is a nuclear holocaust coming, there is not much the president has to decide. What you are doing is starting to put into gear the response of the U.S. government on behalf of the president, not necessarily by the president."

Kissinger pointed to public perceptions in explaining why, as national security adviser, he woke Richard M. Nixon in 1970 to tell him the Apollo 13 spacecraft had been crippled. (This came after a brief "jurisdictional" dispute with Chief of Staff H.R. "Bob" Haldeman over which of them was the right person to call the president, Kissinger wryly recalls.)

"The question was: What could the president do about it? The answer was: Nothing," Kissinger said. But, he added: "We couldn't tell the public that we had not alerted the president. . . . It is important the public has a sense that the president is on top of the situation."

President Bush has rarely been disturbed while asleep, according to current and former White House officials -- largely, they say, because events have not merited it. One exception came on the night following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, after Bush had returned to the White House and he and the first lady were roused by Secret Service agents alarmed by reports of an unidentified plane in the area. The Bushes were moved to a secure location before the incident was found to be a false alarm.

Former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer tells of another episode when the president was awakened unexpectedly, this time when Reagan died in 2004 while Bush was traveling in Paris. Bush had gone to bed knowing that the former president had died, and planned to make a statement in the morning.

But Fleischer, who had left his White House job by then, was watching the television coverage of Reagan's death -- it was late in the day on the East Coast -- and called then-Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. to suggest that the president might want to say something sooner. And that is what happened: Bush got out of bed, dressed and made a statement after midnight in Europe, Fleischer recalled.

Bush's generally more laid-back posture appears to contrast with that of some of his predecessors, especially Lyndon B. Johnson and Bill Clinton, both night owls who seemed to invite interaction with their aides long past midnight. John Podesta, one of Clinton's chiefs of staff, recalls waking up his boss on several occasions.

But just as often the communication went the other way: "I would get calls at 2 o'clock in the morning," Podesta said. "The phone would ring, the White House operator would say the president is calling, and I would be stone asleep. . . . He would be watching C-SPAN in the middle of the night, and he would say, 'I think we ought to make this argument.' "

Presidential historian Robert Dallek raised a different issue posed by nighttime decision-making -- the role of unelected advisers -- in his volume last year on the partnership between Kissinger and Nixon, which made use of thousands of pages of previously inaccessible transcripts of Kissinger's phone calls.

During the 1973 Middle East war, a time when Nixon was under intense stress over Watergate, Kissinger and other senior aides agreed to raise the level of readiness of U.S. military forces in the middle of the night -- while Nixon was sleeping, according to Dallek. It was part of an ultimately successful effort to get the Soviet Union to back off threats to get involved militarily in the conflict.

In interviews, Kissinger and then-White House Chief of Staff Alexander Haig denied the account. "It was the right decision, and it was approved by the president beforehand," said Haig, who says he always alerted the president to questions of war and peace. Otherwise, he said, "you are taking responsibility for something you are not entitled to."

But Dallek said in an interview: "The only conclusion you can draw is we were lucky things came out all right. They did not act in an . . . unwise manner. But it does raise concerns that unelected officials would bypass the elected president."

sp0rsk said:
Meanwhile there's no actual proof that Obama supports these views.

Doesn't matter. Nobody can really argue with Obama's message. I'm not. But, because of his deep ties to a racialist church, he has no moral authority to deliver it.

Anyway, the claws are out, so I'll back off a bit.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The strongest answer to this entire issue of who the nomination should go to should be resolved now.

If all the super delegates got together and just unanimously supported Obama now instead of waiting for the convention, then the Democratic party could show the nation that they have their shit together.

There would be some backlash, but I think this is better than to let Hillary try and draw blood from Obama for the next few months until the convention. She's made it clear that she doesn't care about the well-being of her party, and just wants to presidency at all costs.

This won't happen...but it should.

Cheebs

New Rassmussen: 47-44.

He gained a point, she lost one. It is nowhere near fridays 50-42 of course but it seems like the Rev. Wright story may have hit its peak in terms of the effect it will have on him.

I'll wait for Gallup though, they tend to be a bit more reliable.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
One of my favorites was him as Tim Russert interviewing (the actual) John McCain. It was about 6 years or so though.

That was amazing.

"Senator ,so you're saying there's chance"

schuelma

Oh and Real Clear Politics has Obama with a 135 total delegate lead and 170 pledged delegate lead.

Pelosi reiterated in an interview last night that the superdelegates SHOULD NOT overturn any decision by the voters. I wish the leadership of the Democratic party would come out and say that they endorse Obama as the nominee. People like Pelosi and Howard Dead see the writing on the wall, they just don't want to say anything because of their position. Hillary really is just hurting the party at this point and I can't believe that either A) She doesn't realize it or B) Doesn't care.

schuelma

ToyMachine228 said:
Pelosi reiterated in an interview last night that the superdelegates SHOULD NOT overturn any decision by the voters. I wish the leadership of the Democratic party would come out and say that they endorse Obama as the nominee. People like Pelosi and Howard Dead see the writing on the wall, they just don't want to say anything because of their position. Hillary really is just hurting the party at this point and I can't believe that either A) She doesn't realize it or B) Doesn't care.

I do find it a bit odd. Are people still that afraid of the Clintons? They keep saying how a long struggle will hurt the party, and statements like these make it clear who Pelosi, Richardson, etc. are for..so why not just come out with your support and help end it?

Tamanon

Banned
Nah, it's just unseemly for the leaders to endorse a person during the nomination. The only reason Bill endorsed someone is because he's married to her.

gkryhewy

sp0rsk said:
Poison! Some of the most reactionary, inflammatory language of this whole race is being used over this preacher. Meanwhile there's no actual proof that Obama supports these views. In fact, everything Obama has said up until now has shown us the exact opposite. And now we're supposed to believe that "Black Hitler" is just plotting to kill all the whities once he stops campaigning?

That's not a good response, it's just more anti-Obama BS. Take off the tinfoil hats for a bit and use your brians, morans.

Good post. I was amazed at how ugly the other thread got - a lot of racial bitterness just under the surface of poliGAF (with gas thrown on the fire by evangelical nutjob GAF).

People consistently seem to forget (ignore?) the fact that Barack Obama is bi-racial.

Cheebs said:
wtf...why did the newscaster on CNN just say
"If Hillary is able to capture PA it would be a knock out punch to Obama."

And the other commentators didn't immediately laugh him/her off the set?

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:

LINK
Not really. It deliberately misses what he was talking about. In fact, that kind of twisting of words is exactly the kind of crap I'm tired of, both in politics and in political discussion here on GAF. It's disingenuous bullshit masked as analysis.

syllogism said:
031608DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

Obama netted 10 delegates out of Iowa county conventions
Nice. Chuck Todd should have fun with this one.

Rasmussen poll has things even as well. It’s Obama 47% Clinton 44%. Yesterday Obama was up by one. People appear to have calmed down.

Hootie

schuelma said:
Oh and Real Clear Politics has Obama with a 135 total delegate lead and 170 pledged delegate lead.

Amazing...it would be an absolute miracle if Hillary catches up. Let's hope that doesn't happen. :D

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
Details.
A pretty stunning gain out of Iowa for Obama, where an Iowa Democratic official confirmed to me just now that the county convention results will translate into a 25-14-6 edge for Obama over Clinton and Edwards.

That's a gain of nine for the Illinois senator over the results reported in January, while Clinton lost one delegate. (Edwards lost eight.)

It's a welcome — and meaningful — gain for Obama on a tough weekend, and a result both of his long, hard work in Iowa and of a situation in which Clinton's attacks seem to be turning off party activists.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0308/Obamas_gains.html

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom