• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My first act when I win:

F22lemX.gif

Vyer

and now for some lotto horror stories

1. Jack Whittaker. He was already a millionaire when he won the $315 million lottery in West Virginia in 2002, according to Time. The then-55-year-old construction company president claimed he went broke four years later. His granddaughter and daughter died soon after from drug overdoses and he was robbed of $545,000 sitting in his car while he was at a strip club.

2. Abraham Shakespeare. He won $30 million in a 2009 Florida lottery and was murdered soon after. The 47-year-old was shot twice in the chest and then buried under a slab of concrete in a backyard, according to ABC News. DeeDee Moore, who befriended him after his lottery win, was found guilty of first-degree murder in 2012.

3. Ronnie Music Jr. This Georgia man was sentenced to serve 21 years in prison in April 2017 after he invested part of his $3 million lottery winnings in a crystal meth ring, according to CBS News.

4. Urooj Khan. This Illinois man died in 2012, just one day after collecting the lump sum on a $1 million win. It was originally found by a medical examiner that Khan died of natural causes, but another official found later that the winner was fatally poisoned with cyanide, according to CBS News.

5. Jeffrey Dampier. He won $20 million in the Illinois lottery in 1996 and used the winnings to help his family, according to Bustle. But his sister-in-law Victoria, along with her boyfriend, kidnapped Dampier and shot him in the head. The two are serving life sentences for the murder.

6. William Post. Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988. Soon after, his landlady sued him, claiming he had agreed to give part of the winnings, according to the Washington Post. She was awarded $5.2 million in 1992. Post had six failed marriages and was eventually convicted and sentenced to prison for firing a gun at a debt collector. He died of respiratory failure in 2006.

Sulik2

so basically if you fucking win anything.......do it privately through an attorney.....dear lord the cyanide one even for the guy who only won a mil

last two are just unreal, can't even tell your family anything

And move asap to an area where having money is nothing special. LA or NY sound about right

so basically if you fucking win anything.......do it privately through an attorney.....dear lord the cyanide one even for the guy who only won a mil

In most (all?) states, they have to publish your name (and photo?) if you win. Honestly I'm surprised the people who win hundreds of millions don't get robbed and killed more often.

KyleCross

In most (all?) states, they have to publish your name (and photo?) if you win. Honestly I'm surprised the people who win hundreds of millions don't get robbed and killed more often.
It's fucking stupid, it's like the states are jealous so they try to get you killed.

sarcastor

first rule of winning the lottery -do not tell anyone
second rule of winning the lottery - do not tell anyone.
third rule of winning the lottery - lawyer the fuck upppp

It's fucking stupid, it's like the states are jealous so they try to get you killed.

they don't publish their address and SSN and driver license numbers yo. There are over 10 million millionaires in the US. They're not all getting murdered.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
If I win I'll go into work tonight but retire tomorrow morning lol.. Or wait til Monday to keep suspicion down.

When I win I'm gonna do 3 things.

1. Pay off student loans
2. Get a Nintendo switch
3. Buy every member of this thread a free copy of the total recall reboot for no real reason.

After that, I don't have a plan.

Pretty sure those lottery horror stories come from the same article that has a stat that if you win the lottery, your chances of getting murdered, kidnapped etc are doubled or tripled. So yeah, bad idea to tell family about winning the lottery. Or anyone for that matter.

they don't publish their address and SSN and driver license numbers yo. There are over 10 million millionaires in the US. They're not all getting murdered.

Especially rule three. You might have family or friends coming out of the woodwork to sue for that money.

fourth rule of winning the lottery - disappear so thoroughly that one day you'll just stop showing up at work and people will wonder where you went they will NEVER FIND OUT

sarcastor

fourth rule of winning the lottery - disappear so thoroughly that one day you'll just stop showing up at work and people will wonder where you went they will NEVER FIND OUT

If I win I'll go into work tonight but retire tomorrow morning lol.. Or wait til Monday to keep suspicion down.

You can't disappear the next day. Especially if you bought the tickets at your local liquor store. They list the location where the winning ticket was bought on the lottery websites. and then your family will hire private investigators to find your ass!

jIJ2N7U.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You can't disappear the next day. Especially if you bought the tickets at your local liquor store. They list the location where the winning ticket was bought on the lottery websites. and then your family will hire private investigators to find your ass!

jIJ2N7U.jpg

Not if I pay a hitman to take care of all of them first.

jIJ2N7U.jpg

.......uh oh.

Hope I'm lucky since no one notices me in my town.

jIJ2N7U.jpg

Jokes on them, I bought the ticket in a big city an hour away

jIJ2N7U.jpg
So someone actually won?

sfedai0

Banned
From what I remember you can wait up to a year of purchasing the ticket to claim it. So if you really want to paly the long game, you can go about your business and then suddenly disappear after a year.

PopeReal

I got this shit on lockdown Gaf. You can pencil me in with the winning numbers tonight.

Keeping an eye on the girlfriend though, just in case.

Top Bottom