• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Life (2017) starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

kswiston

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I was already planning on seeing it to just see it anyways, so it's cool it's getting positive reviews so far.

ZeoVGM

Banned
56 metacritic

rotten tomatoes is misleading af

Actually, I think it's the opposite. I personally despise Metacritic for movies.

The original Avengers has a 69% on Metacritic while Age of Ultron has a 66%. Everyone knows that's insane.

The original Matrix? 87% on RottenTomatoes but 73% on Metacritic. Logan? 92% on RottenTomatoes but 77% on Metacritic.

It all comes down to opinions. Logan is neither a 92% or a 77% on a factual level. But I find RottenTomaotes "thumbs up/thumbs down" system to be far more in line with how audiences end up responding to movies.

Sunshine%2B%255B2007%255D%2BKaneda%2527s%2BDeath%2B32.jpg

The man had a good death on that movie. Looks like he's gonna get fucked up in Life though. A newborn kid on the way means he's gotta sacrifice himself so that his kid has a future.

Litan

Actually, I think it's the opposite. I personally despise Metacritic for movies.

The original Avengers has a 69% on Metacritic while Age of Ultron has a 66%. Everyone knows that's insane.

The original Matrix? 87% on RottenTomatoes but 73% on Metacritic. Logan? 92% on RottenTomatoes but 77% on Metacritic.

It all comes down to opinions. Logan is neither a 92% or a 77% on a factual level. But I find RottenTomaotes "thumbs up/thumbs down" system to be far more in line with how audiences end up responding to movies.

When comparing RT with MT, you use the RT average critic rating, not the tomato score.

Logan has a 7.8 vs MT's 77, so they're about the same.

Brakke

Banned
Pretty ridiculous they went with "Life" for the title. Terrible SEO, alley-oop for negative reviews to dunk ya with "Lifeless", really claims a grand scope I'm sure it won't live up to.

Looks serviceable tho. Will probably catch it.

FatalT

Banned
I'm going to a free early screening on Wednesday night and looking forward to it. Seeing this has me hyped more!

kiri

Pretty ridiculous they went with "Life" for the title. Terrible SEO, alley-oop for negative reviews to dunk ya with "Lifeless", really claims a grand scope I'm sure it won't live up to.

Looks serviceable tho. Will probably catch it.
I like the cut of your jib.

hirokazu

Man, from the trailer I thought this was gonna be a garbage-grade derivative sci-fi cashing in on a pretty faces. I could be wrong!

Qasiel

Jake Gyllenhaal in space? Colour me interested. I'm really looking forward to catching this one at the cinema.

I personally despise Rotten Tomatoes for movies since people don't understand how to read it

Busty

Banned
I should be excited for this but I'm really struggling to muster much enthusiasim to actually go and see it this weekend.

I honestly might pick CHIPs over this on Friday. I'll see if some more positive reviews can sway me any.

judhudson

I should be excited for this but I'm really struggling to muster much enthusiasim to actually go and see it this weekend.

I honestly might pick CHIPs over this on Friday. I'll see if some more positive reviews can sway me any.

CHIPs....Over this.

I don't want to judge...but dang, lol.

Busty

Banned
CHIPs....Over this.

I don't want to judge...but dang, lol.

Between this and the woefully underwhelming Alien Covenant trailers I'm just not feeling the grim/dark sci-fi thriller which is weird as it's usually my jam.

But everything I've seen of LIFE thus far has just left me feeling cold so we'll see what happens nearer the time.

Yeah but it's White People With a Tan: The Movie. There are no Iranian people in the cast at all and all the background extras are Moroccan :/

Oh don't get me wrong, you can definitely shit on it for the blatant whitewashing. I'm just saying, purely from an actual quality/entertainment perspective, it wasn't as terrible as most VG movies are

MORE REVIEWS

Time Out - How this by-the-numbers sci-fi horror managed to blast free of the DVD bin and engage A-list stars like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds is hard to figure out.

Sydney Morning Herald - A taut but puzzling space thriller.

Herald Sun (Australia) - A slick, suspenseful and stomach-churning sci-fi thriller, Life is the perfect Alien movie right now for those getting all twitchy waiting for the next Alien movie.

Independent - Daniel Espinosa's new feature provides incontrovertible proof that, well over three decades after that polyp-like succubus exploded out of John Hurt's stomach in Ridley Scott's Alien, the sci-fi horror film is alive and well.

Guardian - At the last moment, Reese and Wernick and director Daniel Espinosa hit their retro-rockets for a neat little 180-degree twist, thankfully reversing the prevailing mood of sucrose fatalism.

83% on RT

MORE REVIEWS

Time Out - How this by-the-numbers sci-fi horror managed to blast free of the DVD bin and engage A-list stars like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds is hard to figure out.

Sydney Morning Herald - A taut but puzzling space thriller.

Herald Sun (Australia) - A slick, suspenseful and stomach-churning sci-fi thriller, Life is the perfect Alien movie right now for those getting all twitchy waiting for the next Alien movie.

Independent - Daniel Espinosa's new feature provides incontrovertible proof that, well over three decades after that polyp-like succubus exploded out of John Hurt's stomach in Ridley Scott's Alien, the sci-fi horror film is alive and well.

Guardian - At the last moment, Reese and Wernick and director Daniel Espinosa hit their retro-rockets for a neat little 180-degree twist, thankfully reversing the prevailing mood of sucrose fatalism.

83% on RT

How did they rate Passengers though?

Carcetti

Saw it. Just an expensive-looking B-movie that was promising for the first third. All the big name actors are wasted with the cardboard thin script.

Maybe it's because I love The Thing and seen tons of B-horror inspired it but Life felt derivative as hell.

The worst part is that the plot hinges totally on the fact that the crew doesn't act rationally. They're supposed to be experts but the moment things start going wrong they start screeching and waving their arms in panic. The creature only goes on rampage because these dumbasses enable it constantly.

I wish this budget thad been spent on something like that indie Thing clone where space tardigrades attack the fishing boat. That had charm.

MORE REVIEWS

Saw the film, agree with this.

Plays out like some executives went "alien is hot right now, we gotta get in on some of that scifi horror cash quick" and this is what came out.

Basically a straight to dvd alien clone with a completely generic scifi-horror script to match.

Would not recommend.

karasu

The fact that Jake Gyllenhaal is in it makes me want to watch it. The fact that Ryan Reynolds is also in it makes me want to avoid it like syphilis.

fanboi

Banned
Saw it last night:

Massive spoilers.

The black guy won't die first! Actually the first one is Deadpool, which I didn't think would happen. His death is quite horrible.

The ending is that they use the escape pods (two people left, Jake G and a woman), one escape pod can carry on person so Jake as the hero jumps in and lure the thing into his pod and set of to deep space while the other navigate towards earth, during take of one of the pod is hit from debris since the station has been struck and semi destroyed from a capsule that docked and tries to send the whole station into space (this was a security measure).

So during navigation towards deep space the thing does something horrible to Jake, like really fucked up.

The other capsule lands in some ocean where fishermen sees it and goes for the rescue THE END

WRONG

the capsule that got struck was the the capsule with the women and she is sent into other space, inevitable horrible death.

The other pod is of course Jakes and you can see him through a looking glass where tentacles has penetrated him everywhere... like through his brain and whatnot... but he is still alive. The fishermen open the door although Jake screams NOOO... zooms out, THE END... of earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom