• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us 2 in production, launching in 2015

WarpathDC

Holy shit a lot of negativity for something that might actually be good, considering that The Last of Us is amazing, and its main story can/should be expanded.

I think it comes as a testament to how perfectly the first one ended but yeah I'm shocked people don't want to go back to that world.

PBY

Banned
TLoU is new IP.

ND is not known to work on a single entry for 1 IP. They make more than one game from one IP. Jesus some of you guys like to live in lala land.
Once you make a sequel it ceases to be new IP. Everything was once a new IP.

He clarified what he meant:

I asked about a quote from an interview Druckmann gave to the PlayStation blog in which he said:
I think the world is ripe for more stories, but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on [sic] it ends with this game. We were very conscious that we didn’t want to leave this story dangling. If we never do a sequel we’re okay with it, because we told the story we needed to tell.

That quote has been taken to mean that Joel and Ellie won't feature in any possible sequel at all, though my own reading was always more loose. After all, their journey did end, but it'd seems awfully unlikely that any sequel wouldn't feature Joel and Ellie in some capacity.

"I can clarify that quote, because I've seen it misquoted," Druckmann told me yesterday. "I said this journey for Joel and Ellie is complete. In a spoiler sense, I was referring to the journey with the Fireflies and what they're after with the cure and all that. We're not continuing that.

"But as far as whether we come back to Joel and Ellie or not, or whether we come back to the world or not, that's all up in the air. I can tell you there are people in the studio that would love to come back to these characters, but the only way we would do it would be if we had something new, something meaningful to say. Because the last thing we would want to do is repeat ourselves."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606146
http://kotaku.com/who-would-star-in-a-last-of-us-sequel-creators-wont-r-586791127

HardRojo

The Very Last of Us.

I think the IP would be fine with a single installment but a sequel is understandable and maybe ND can top it, there's a chance they mess it up but I'm inclined to believe they'll get things right if this sequel is actually coming.

Ishan

I wonder if they could explore what happens when they do find a cure which is say in limited supply. Would lead to a political intrigue/ elitist with cures vs others vibe ... Def a motif zombie series dont address often and one which could lead to some interesting storylines imo.

Praise the lord. They have my full support if they keep to their word about this. If they can make a game with similar gameplay, believable characters and the same quality of writting, I'm all for it. 2015 does seem a bit early though (1.5 years dev time could make sense though, if they already have their PS4 engine up and running).

Skeff

People should realise 2015 is a long way away, assuming a q4 release, its two and a half years after TLoU release, its not that short of a timeframe for a big studio working on only one platform. Also dat time to triangle.

Darknight

Once you make a sequel it ceases to be new IP. Everything was once a new IP.

In that case, see you next gen. Im gonna be smiling playing the shit out of U4 and TLoU2. Maybe near PS4's life, they will bring you a new IP like PS3.

Seriously though Im sure they are cooking something between these games. they have 2 teams, nasa/space teases etc.

PBY

Banned
In that case, see you next gen. Im gonna be smiling playing the shit out of U4 and TLoU2. Maybe near PS4's life, they will bring you a new IP like PS3.
Hey I never said fuck old IPs. I'm out here happy we're getting gears and uncharted.

def sim

I would have been okay if they left the world alone, it ended strongly enough for it. That was never going to happen for such a well received and, I assume, successful game however. I'm alright with this if it does happen, though I would also like the original on PS4. I would hate for it to be stuck on the PS3; it's kind of a technical mess.

It would be cool, but I hope they go with new characters. In some ways I would prefer a new game entirely, because I think ND have the formula of making cinematic games down and they can apply it to almost any decent narrative they can find. Personally, I would like them to do a future, blade runner esque detective game. It would be amazing.

I think The Last of Us was fine as a stand alone game. I hope the rumor is fake.

I would love more TLOU but I don't want a sequal, either. It's a bit like watching Homeland series 1 then having it shit on when they announced (or I at least came across) series 2.

UberTag

I like the idea of a different game in this same universe focusing on different characters with a different story with the same level of care and attention to detail in the storytelling.

Have some kind of twist at the end that ties back into the first game and makes us want to play a final title to close out the trilogy.

Cabal

I think The Last of Us was fine as a stand alone game. I hope the rumor is fake.

I agree with the fact that it was a great stand alone game but honestly I would be ok with a sequel if it's done right. I think it's premature to discount the idea entirely because the story has a conclusion. Something in the same universe could be just as good if it's handled with care. Naughty Dog has a pretty good track record, if they feel like there is more to the story, then I trust they know what to do with it.

Was there a bad reaction to the DLC coming out? I've seen a lot of excitement around that but a lot of negativity around the idea of a sequel and I'm not sure what the difference is if the main story ended so perfectly.

Of course a sequel will come out, even if ND didn't want to do one Sony would still have someone else develop it. The game just made too much money for them to just end the franchise. Next year though? I say no way. I honestly believe ND will add a third team and have one working on UC one working on TLOU only a new story not related to Joel and Ellie and then a team working on a entirely new IP. I hope this isn't the case, but I could see it.

Hyunashi

I dont see why there would not be a sequel for the acclaimed title, its pretty much a potential cash cow for Sony. We live in an age where sequels are a common thing now people.

At this point ND can make Uncharted 7 and it'll still be consider a masterpiece. If they want to do TLOU2, they can go right ahead because that sequel would in good hands.

Just inject it straight into my veins. The Last of Us was my game of the generation (aside from Dark Souls), so I absolutely want them to work in the universe again, and make another "Last of Us" game, in that I want another game in the same style, mechanics, etc. I would be ok with a completely different cast and story. Perhaps even 100 years into the future, something like in the novel The Passage, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passage_(novel)).
Imagine in the last of us 2, its 100 years in the future, people have rebuilt towns again, and are growing in numbers, but the threat of the clickers is still out there, and the bandits have turned into some sort of tribal society. That would be cool.

Jachaos

I'm really all for this if true, the only thing I hope that isn't is the title. I don't want it be named ''The Last of Us 2'' but I don't think it will be anyway. As for the rest, yes please!

I would love a new IP. Pretty much want a new IP from every developer but Naughty Dog specifically. If they are making another TLOU I hope it's a different story with new characters in new locations.

Please call it 2 Last 2 Us.

Or, The Second-to-Last of Us.

How about "The Last Of Us?"

Question mark leaves it open for a sequel

Glass Rebel

I don't need a continuation of Joel and Ellie's story but if they can nail it, I'd definitely take it.

What I'd really find a shame though would be Naughty Dog just completely abandoning the world and the mechanics they have built. Make it a sequel, a prequel, a parallel story, something set in a different part of the world, anything. As long as it's good, go for it.

Naughty Dog presents:
"There Were More Of Us Apparently."

The Last of Us looked really good, so I'm pretty excited to see what they can do with the PS4.

Top Bottom