• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Elliott's "Whiskey Nerd" was a brilliant addition to The Brodeo.

Andrew.

Banned
gfwbrodeo580.jpg

...I just wish we had heard more of him. Forgive me dudes, as I know I'm really late to the GFW party. I was introduced to them last year, long after everyone had parted ways and yet I find myself still going back every couple months or so and listening to the majority of the podcast catalogue from 2007 up until the end.

Which brings me to Whiskey Nerd. Elliott's white trash southern hick with a penchant for Taco Bell wrappers, boogers and talking shit. There was a brief period in 2007 shortly after Heroes of the Web was introduced, where each GFW episode opened up with some Whiskey Nerd monologue or sketch (occasionally Ralphie) and I find these to be pure genius. Not only does it showcase Elliotts natural comedic and musical talent, but they also managed to stay relevant to the groups ongoing discussions whether it was the nastiness of the indoor of a GameStop, griefing, or just simple reminiscing about the "Glory Days" of gaming.

I have compiled a list of these performances, so we all can relive the glory days of this podcast, and the devilishly comedic greatness that is Krill:

The Whiskey Nerd Manifesto - The classic monologue. Booger stalactites and greasy ZBoards signed by Fatality. "Lemme buy you a Nachos Bel Grande baby..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKLCheLWZLU

Whiskey Nerd Blended With Some Radiohead-esqueness - "Ain't nobody cosplays as a six-legged SimCity building with a TV antennae on top! That's right! I gotcha made.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOknrNDA9ho&feature=youtu.be

Whiskey Nerd Takes On Jeff's Original Fallout Gunplay Complaint - "Well Jeff I usually do not post here, but when I see remarks like these I just have to comment. Let's set the way-back machine to the Old West.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oucP1S5IuXw

Whiskey Nerd Goes To A Local Game Shop - "I spit sunflower seeds on the lot and park a booger on Boogerman. PRE ORDER BONUSES YA BITCHES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGR1BL8Akd0

Whiskey Nerd Vs Ralphie (8-Bit Mile Rap Battle) - "You're a liar and all the guys here know this. The only thing I fear, is your Taco Bell halitosis."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjWDBeuhMFM

The Glory Days - "Beasts of burden, barely worth mentionin'. Such and such was better before, no questionin'."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAD939M2ykY

Jerk For The 9.5 - "9.5 is a great way to go. I'd hate to say 10. Ethics y'know."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rr1mRG1giM&feature=youtu.be

Jeff Green has been teasing a new podcast for awhile now on his Dark Souls streams. I hope Shawn is on and the podcast is the successor to GFW Radio we always wanted. Coming this year sometime, supposedly

The Whiskey Nerd never gets old. I still listen to the manifesto from time to time

Andrew.

Banned
Jeff Green has been teasing a new podcast for awhile now on his Dark Souls streams. I hope Shawn is on and the podcast is the successor to GFW Radio we always wanted. Coming this year sometime, supposedly

The Whiskey Nerd never gets old. I still listen to the manifesto from time to time

I was actually surprised Shawn wasn't part of that kickstarter game magazine that Green and Ryan Scott are participating in.

Ianan

Heroes of the Web will always be GOAT. The "Married to Sonic" segment has me in stitches every time

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I was actually surprised Shawn wasn't part of that kickstarter game magazine that Green and Ryan Scott are participating in.

He works for Irrational, it'd be a conflict of interests for him to write for a games mag.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah I know who he works for, I just didnt think it would be that much of a conflict since the mag seemed to be heading in a more independent route and avoiding everything corporate. Still sucks though.

see5harp

I always that particular voice was sorta dumb. Just sounded like Buck 65 which is probably the sort of rap he liked.

Listening to GFW radio got me through a really hard time in my life. I remember not really caring about anything else going on around me except when the new episode would come out. I recently went back and listened to all the older episodes and I was laughing just as hard. I know a lot of people told Shawn and the rest of the crew that they loved the podcast and miss it but I'm sure I'm not the only one it helped pull out of a depression even if it was only for 90 minutes a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcwes0-77iY

One of my favorite bits/

If you are interested in the comedy found in the saddest places people from the internet gather more than the delivery then there are a handful of twitter accounts to follow.

@Goons_TXT
@TumblrTXT
@Batoto_TXT
@R9k_TXT
@Mlp_txt
@Reddit_txt

Trigger warnings for just about everything.

I always think of the whole "why so low" debacle whenever a gaffer gets outraged over a review.

Same here. The discussions on GFW Radio have colored my perception on the enthusiast press and games in general quite a bit. Review scores, website clicks, publisher power/pressure etc. They covered many important (and to this day highly relevant) subjects on there.

It's a shame the voice of GFW Radio has been silenced. It kept getting better and better right up until Shawn and Jeff left.

Twinduct

Never got another podcast to fill the void. The cast of the brodeo just jelled together so damn well. Kinda wish Shawn would do a regular podcast again :<

Is there any other podcast that handles gaming and comedy so well? (I mean podtoid was my go to one and now DJ). Not to turn this into a 'recommend me a podcast' thread of course, just curious if I missed any decent ones.

Sulik2

The Bombcast is the closet thing we have to the Brodeo. Its a slightly different vibe but it can be just as funny.

Andrew.

Banned
The Bombcast is the closet thing we have to the Brodeo. Its a slightly different vibe but it can be just as funny.

It may be seen as "the closest thing" and I dont want to turn this into a GB Vs Brodeo thread but from the casts Ive heard of theirs, those GB guys got nothing on what the crew to GFW brought to the critical and analytical table.

Granted, I missed out on the Ryan Davis days so maybe it was a better and more insightful show before he passed.

randomwab

It may be seen as "the closest thing" and I dont want to turn this into a GB Vs Brodeo thread but from the casts Ive heard of theirs, those GB guys got nothing on what the crew to GFW brought to the critical and analytical table.

Granted, I missed out on the Ryan Davis days so maybe it was a better and more insightful show before he passed.

I always felt that Idle Thumbs came close to the more critical, analytical side of GFW. But hell, as much as I love Idle Thumbs, even I have to admit that it's hugely dropped off in quality recently. It's slowly becoming the indie game podcast which is fine to a level, but it feels like all they do these days which isn't all that I want to hear from those guys.

Twinduct

I always felt that Idle Thumbs came close to the more critical, analytical side of GFW. But hell, as much as I love Idle Thumbs, even I have to admit that it's hugely dropped off in quality recently. It's slowly becoming the indie game podcast which is fine to a level, but it feels like all they do these days which isn't all that I want to hear from those guys.

You mean you don't enjoy hearing about Dota & Spelunky? :p

I kind of get where you are coming from though, it feels more like a 'what's new with the thumb boys this week!' than the previous stuff.

MoosiferX

Man, it's been a while since I've heard the sweet sounds of the Whiskey Nerd. Still holds up!

Makes me yearn for the glory days of 1UP. With a tear in my eye.

GolazoDan

I just listened to the (superb) This Year collection of GFW Radio since I never heard it the first time around. The Whiskey Nerd stuff's obviously amazing but I really enjoyed the discussions about games journalism, particularly regarding preview coverage and the firing of my main man Jeff Gerstmann. Especially because every point they made (in like 2007) came up in last year's discussions about the quality of games journalism and the enthusiast press.

I think I just really like Jeff Green though. What a man. What a man's man.

ACESmkII

Whiskey Nerd is a legit MC...

...That battle LOL

Where did Shawn get the music he was rhyming over? Some of those tracks are pretty damn good.

Andrew.

Banned
What's so remarkable is that even though the guys are having discussions that are six years old, so much of what they discuss is still relevant today. Im not even talking about the enthusiast press and corporate talk, but the analytical roads that Shawn would take in discussing FPSes (All his Crysis, Bioshock and Half Life 2 talk) still sticks and makes so much sense in 2014.
Im finding I approach games much differently than before since I started actively listening to them.

Brak

Whiskey Nerd is a legit MC...

...That battle LOL

Where did Shawn get the music he was rhyming over? Some of those tracks are pretty damn good.
Zooted Granny from GAF did the production for quite a few of the tracks. Haven't seen him post in a long time though.

I just don't get the worship for what the CGW podcast turned into. I know it used to be very dry and safe, but I kind of liked that, it felt more thoughtful than a lot of podcasts at the time. Then Elliot really started going crazy with his schtick, and the others started trying their hand at it, and I'm glad they had fun, and I'm not saying the thoughtful content was completely gone, but it certainly got buried. I think the point when they spent something like 10 minutes shitting on an 8-year-old (at the time) website about marrying fictional characters was the point I gave up. That wasn't what the podcast was for, to me.

CzarTim

I just don't get the worship for what the CGW podcast turned into. I know it used to be very dry and safe, but I kind of liked that, it felt more thoughtful than a lot of podcasts at the time. Then Elliot really started going crazy with his schtick, and the others started trying their hand at it, and I'm glad they had fun, and I'm not saying the thoughtful content was completely gone, but it certainly got buried. I think the point when they spent something like 10 minutes shitting on an 8-year-old (at the time) website about marrying fictional characters was the point I gave up. That wasn't what the podcast was for, to me.

NfkCCas.png

Andrew.

Banned
I mustve missed out on the other "schticks" that Jeff, Nergle, Bobito, Darren and Molloy contributed.

Elliott was the only one who seemingly designed and planned out his sketches for each episode as long as he was given the Greenlight.

El Sloth

Banned
I mustve missed out on the other "schticks" that Jeff, Nergle, Bobito, Darren and Molloy contributed.

Elliott was the only one who seemingly designed and planned out his sketches for each episode as long as he was given the Greenlight.
You're forgetting that whole elaborate Ryan Scott schtick Jeff and Shawn did.

Andrew.

Banned
You're forgetting that whole elaborate Ryan Scott schtick Jeff and Shawn did.

When was this? I know they've joked around about how some fans thought that Ryan was just one of them doing a voice. And of course the obvious moments where they pick on him for not talking much...

randomwab

When was this? I know they've joked around about how some fans thought that Ryan was just one of them doing a voice. And of course the obvious moments where they pick on him for not talking much...

...so I guess you still believe in Santa then too, huh?

Andrew.

Banned
...so I guess you still believe in Santa then too, huh?

Alright now Im confused. Can someone clear this up? Was Ryan Scott not really there and it was just someone doing a voice/impersonation?

Christ Im late to the party on this. I find that really, really hard to believe.. That's like some Kaufman stuff right there.

CzarTim

Alright now Im confused. Can someone clear this up? Was Ryan Scott not really there and it was just someone doing a voice/impersonation?

Christ Im late to the party on this. I find that really, really hard to believe..

How did you not get this? Ryan was clearly a bit. You could even tell when it was Jeff or Shawn doing the voice if you paid close enough attention.

Andrew.

Banned
How did you not get this? Ryan was clearly a bit. You could even tell when it was Jeff or Shawn doing the voice if you paid close enough attention.

Dude youve got to be fucking with me.

Send me a link where this finally comes to light.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The weird part is how they both find the time to do The Geekbox every week. It's why they stopped their own podcasts.

Top Bottom