• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Jasmine Masters straight men doing drag

All that
1421673243-1.gif

I mean I get what shes going for but coming after straight people going for gay roles doesn't really make sense. The whole point of acting is you act as a character, whatever your personal characteristics or sexuality is shouldn't effect what role you go for.

I mean I'm not in the industry so obviously I may be talking out my ass, but I'm sure that LGBT actors would want to be able to go after any role and not just being pigeon-holed into the token gay character, or a trans person having to play a trans character. Niel Patrcik-Harris was loved by everyone on HIMYM when he played a straight man slut yet in real life he is as gay as a rainbow, and by using the same logic he shouldn't have been cast in that role.

Whilst I'm obiviously all for more LGBT actors to be promoted in the industry and I can kinda see the parallels of this being an equivalent to whitewashing I don't think I agree

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I mean I get what shes going for but coming after straight people going for gay roles doesn't really make sense. The whole point of acting is you act as a character, whatever your personal characteristics or sexuality is shouldn't effect what role you go for.

I mean I'm not in the industry so obviously I may be talking out my ass, but I'm sure that LGBT actors would want to be able to go after any role and not just being pigeon-holed into the token gay character, or a trans person having to play a trans character. Niel Patrcik-Harris was loved by everyone on HIMYM when he played a straight man slut yet in real life he is as gay as a rainbow, and by using the same logic he shouldn't have been cast in that role.

Whilst I'm obiviously all for more LGBT actors to be promoted in the industry and I can kinda see the parallels of this being an equivalent to whitewashing I don't think I agree
The thing is that there is plenty of roles that could be given to gay actors who are struggling to get roles for their sexuality. Most of these straight actors play the character as stereotypical as possible and get praised for something that in reality gets trashed and it's not fine since its mockery for most of the part which sometimes a simple change in the delivery can still be funny without being stereotypical. Maybe not remove straight actors from doing these roles but give people who can maybe relate to the material easier would result in better output.

Hollywood is all about the white straight men or the straight white women getting all the roles and there needs to be more opportunities for those minorities. Sure it might be some sort of typecasting but when you cant give them roles cause they are gay at least give them a gay roles instead of having the same straight actor in all the popular movies and tv shows do the role when more people could have the opportunity.

Also it is nice to see you bring Neil Patrick Harris and there is also Matt Bomer and a few more coming out these years but see the similarity of all these guys? They are mostly white people. My issue isnt only about the sexuality but diversity overall with all terms of actors. Black, Latino and asians already have it hard and if you add gay or bisexual their chances are lower of getting roles. It might be typecasting or something along those lines but at least more people are getting opportunities IMO.

..... Okay so it's another week-long scavenger hunt on social media and apparently they'll reveal the first queen next week after you whore yourself out all over Insta and Twitter.

You know what I've had?

IT.

mantidor

lol

I knew it would be some lame thing like that.

I honestly have been losing more and more interest about this season, I didn't even watch the finale of the last one, this "genius" marketing isn't helping that.

Shizuka

I've read the list with all their names, but I'm trying hard to not Google them and just wait until the first episode. At least Kim Chi is sickening.

Kinda sounds like she's mad nobody wants to book her, haha.

I agree that RPDR has changed the world of drag, some things are worse and some things are better.
It's probably much more difficult to get big gigs unless you're a RuPaul girl. I think I saw a Willam interview or something that said agents who booked queens didn't really want somebody unless they'd been on the show and had the fanbase from that who could support the project.

Most of the video is just her not liking the way other people do drag which...wasn't that something she whined about on the show as well? Haven't watched 8 since it aired.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Jasmine seems a bit ignorant. You can like certain type of drag but just because you don't like something that doesn't stop it from being drag. She wasn't going to point names but she did in Untucked with Trixie Mattel and some other younger queens in the show unless my memory fails me. If she doesn't like that type of drag don't go to watch the show and don't give coins to the queen that is doing whatever she wants to do on stage.

Also after how she was at the show it wouldn't surprise me people don't wanna book her. She can be funny and say interesting stuff on her YouTube channel but she can be too whiny and problematic when there are some queens she doesn't like. She needs to take several seats.

B-Dex

Logo has such a shit website. Saw the first 2 MTQ videos and then all it says is error. Won't even load the page in Safari.

Monocle

Here for everyone, except maybe Chi Chi DeVayne, Cynthia Lee Fontaine, and Naysha Lopez. Those three just don't seem very exciting to me at the moment.

Looks like S8 has a great roster though! Lots of fashionable queens with appealing personalities, if their intros are any indication. Derrick Barry is the only girl I'm familiar with, and that's from ages ago when I saw a Youtube vid of her doing a very good impersonation of Britney Spears. I'm loving how Tilda Swinton is Thorgy's fashion icon. That's one way to grab my attention.

I couldn't watch Derrick Barry's and Naomi Smalls' videos. Logo's media player is kind of awful.

What kind of Photoshop fuckery is going on with Derrick's head? It looks like they just pasted her head onto a different body. For that matter a lot of them look a little off in the face, like they went a little nuts smoothing them out. Has it always been like this? I don't remember noticing it before.

Comments on queens once I've watched the videos tomorrow... though it's absolutely pointless to pick favorites now, I'm always completely wrong on who's going to be good or not on the show versus their interviews lol.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Okay bob is fucking hilarious

but WTF at Derrick Barry being in a three way relationship with Nebraska Thunderfuck
how the fuck did that work out

Matt_

wait did they say kim chi was 16?

Gradon

Watched them all, so far I'm really liking Acid Betty, Bob the Drag Queen, Kim Chi, Laila and Dax. I don't really dislike anyone this season, some of them don't stand out but I'm looking forward to what many of them can bring.

Wait, Derrick is in a thruple with Nabraska from S5's make-over challenge?! I don't know why that just made me giggle when she said it!

I like Dax's attitude and outlook, not saying I see him as winning material from the promo, but I just liked what he had to say. Acid Betty seemed nervous so I will hold out on an opinion there, I've seen some pictures of him where his make-up was way wilder than the promo (I get that they were all styled for a theme), but I feel people are going to peg him as this seasons Tempest based just on these promos.

Watched them all now, no real stinkers. I liked Robbie (but feel he might go early), Thorgy and Bob seem really cool and funny, probably go far. Kim Chi didn't make much of an impression but she's the one I've heard most about before this reveal. Naysha I liked too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Haven't gone through all the queens yet, thanks to Logo's shit player. But so far I'm a fan of Bob,and hope Lopez doesn't unpack because she's annoying me already.

MrV4ltor

Haven't gone through all the queens yet, thanks to Logo's shit player. But so far I'm a fan of Bob and hope Lopez doesn't unpack because she's annoying me me already.

Naysha's probably gonna survive at least 2 lipsyncs, so be prepared for her to make it at least halfway.

okno

LIVING for this cast with the exception of Naysha Lopez and Chi Chi. This should be a fun season so long as they don't fuck the challenges up again.

MrV4ltor

no big queens this year

Does that matter tho? I'd rather have a skinny queen with a unique personality than Madame Laqueer 2.0.

First premiere is on the 22nd of February, so expect off-screen episode 1 leaks from the clubs (without the lipsync and elimination of course) around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom