• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Jamie OD

pMDaKNQ.gif

Speaking of PROGRESS, 250 tickets left for their Brixton show seems pretty good.

The Origin's "we're all best mates" dynamic is a beautiful thing.

So if I want to get into Progress can I just jump straight in or should I go back a bit?

Pretty much, the last few shows have been setting up stuff for Brixton.

This years Super Strong Style tournament is probably a good place to start.

https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/media/chapter-30:-super-strong-style-16-day-1/47821

You can always go back and do title runs like Jimmy Havoc (Chapter 10-21) Ospreay (20-25) and Scurll (25-Now) later once/if you're into it. It's a lot easier to run through the back catalog than a PWG for example.
The Origin's "we're all best mates" dynamic is a beautiful thing.

4bWwobA.gif

Pretty much, the last few shows have been setting up stuff for Brixton.

This years Super Strong Style tournament is probably a good place to start.

https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/media/chapter-30:-super-strong-style-16-day-1/47821

You can always go back and do title runs like Jimmy Havoc (Chapter 10-21) Ospreay (20-25) and Scurll (25-Now) later once/if you're into it. It's a lot easier to run through the back catalog than a PWG for example.

4bWwobA.gif
I'll give it a look, thanks man!

Still i think... i mean they let him be absolutly not heelish when he wants. You can think it's normal in 2016 to not ask a wrestler to be 100% kayfabe in real life but he's using social network a lot and clearly doesn't give a shit about acting heel or not. he's just natural.

All i say is he won't act like a pure cheating devilish heel i think. Maybe it's for that reason that he wasn't in the loop (seemingly at least). It wasn't the usual screw job finish. it was meant to be a moment of joy. Which makes it interesting for what' coming.
The KO situation is weird and parts of it I blame on social media. The, I'm evil but I do this to put food in the table to feed my family doesn't work for the bad guy. Back in the day, they would've had his kid going for the good guy simply to show how real it was and how the kid can't get behind the father being a cheater. This kayfabe shit is too much for me, I need to let it die as they've already done.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Poor Ligero. When's he gonna get a steady employment?

orioto

Good Art™
The KO situation is weird and parts of it I blame on social media. The, I'm evil but I do this to put food in the table to feed my family doesn't work for the bad guy. Back in the day, they would've had his kid going for the good guy simply to show how real it was and how the kid can't get behind the father being a cheater. This kayfabe shit is too much for me, I need to let it die as they've already done.

But this is also about Owens always telling everyone he's not acting as a heel. he refuses to say that. He's acting naturally as a tweener actually so for him there is no limitation between the two.

Now.. What will WWE do with that. They respected it for now, but as a champ ? That also means as a heel he shouldn't have an over moveset. He should do more headlocks etc.. -__- And of course he shouldn't look strong. Which they've been pretty good at showing in the last weeks already.. Maybe it will be the contrary and now that he's a champ he'll be super Owens who could beat Cena clean.

Sephzilla

I know it's been driven into the ground but goddamn Raw is too long. Smackdown at 2 hours feels pretty much perfectly paced.

But this is also about Owens always telling everyone he's not acting as a heel. he refuses to say that. He's acting naturally as a tweener actually so for him there is no limitation between the two.

Now.. What will WWE do with that. They respected it for now, but as a champ ? That also means as a heel he shouldn't have an over moveset. He should do more headlocks etc.. -__- And of course he shouldn't look strong. Which they've been pretty good at showing in the last weeks already.. Maybe it will be the contrary and now that he's a champ he'll be super Owens who could beat Cena clean.
When you say he tells everyone he's not acting as a heel, is this in interviews?

Or maybe he's not aware that he's the bad guy. Maybe he believes he's really a good guy but the audience perceives him as the bad person?

Sephzilla

When you say he tells everyone he's not acting as a heel, is this in interviews?

Or maybe he's not aware that he's the bad guy. Maybe he believes he's really a good guy but the audience perceives him as the bad person?

Owens' character always seemed, to me, to have the perception that he wasn't the bad guy. During the entire Sami Zayn feud, even dating back to NXT, he took the stance of "what I did wasn't personal it was business. Sami's the one who made it personal".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
BJ got bookings outside of ROH??
What I'm trying to say to your obtuse ass is that he needs a REAL promotion to make an investment in him. Plus he's far better than Whitmer, that's an easy gimme there. :)

Ligero is underappreciated. Hope he gets his Ciampa moment (and probably a better comparison, Ciampa wrestled anywhere forever)

Sephzilla

Why don't wrestlers name moves after themselves like Tazplex or Steinerline

PTO
Swagger Bomb

I'm actually kind of happy that trend is dying off though. It sounds cheesy and I prefer it when they call a move by its regular name instead of whatever stupid name WWE marketing comes up with

What I'm trying to say to your obtuse ass is that he needs a REAL promotion to make an investment in him. Plus he's far better than Whitmer, that's an easy gimme there. :)

Ligero is underappreciated. Hope he gets his Ciampa moment (and probably a better comparison, Ciampa wrestled anywhere forever)
oh

yeah, i think he really would have benefitted from a cwc spot

notworksafe

It's no Sethtember but it'll do, it'll do.

Missed Smackdown last night to see a not so great movie. Worth going back to watch the DVR?

So how did smackdown handle the Daniel Bryan and miz stuff?

They re-ran the segment before the show which led to Shane telling DBry not to talk to talent that way, blah blah blah. Of course DBry calls him out on the Brock thing.

It culminates with Miz doing a promo in the ring and Ziggler coming out and challenging him right there, to show he's not a coward.

orioto

Good Art™

In interview, not kayfabe interviews, he tells people i don't really like to be a heel or a face, i just act the more naturally i can and try to stick to a coherent personality..

Owens' character always seemed, to me, to have the perception that he wasn't the bad guy. During the entire Sami Zayn feud, even dating back to NXT, he took the stance of "what I did wasn't personal it was business. Sami's the one who made it personal".
I can deal with this in a way.
In interview, not kayfabe interviews, he tells people i don't really like to be a heel or a face, i just act the more naturally i can and try to stick to a coherent personality..
Fuck this! These new jabronis come in thinking they can just disrupt what we've had going on for ages. Motherfucker has no respect!

klonere

Banned
The venue emptied amid hypocrisy about blood and sponsors, and about WWE’s defense from its class-action concussion lawsuits and the ridiculous elbows thrown directly at Orton’s head. The few lingering behind were reminded who was ultimately responsible for all this as the giant scoreboard video screen switched to colored bars and the overlay text read: VINCE

Cqbr7-yXgAAJDMS.jpg:small

Cool little article recapping Summerslam weekend.

http://fightful.com/playing-brother’s-sandbox-account-wwe-summerslam-weekend-part-2

Part 1, talking NXT/EVOLVE here:
http://fightful.com/playing-brother’s-sandbox-account-wwe-summerslam-weekend-part-1

Kaladin

Survivor Series 1997

Good sweet lord, the traditional Survivor Series matches stunk up the place this year. You had the one where they shoehorned two tag team feuds into a Survivor Series match, the one where they shoehorned gang warfare chapter # 1,609 into a match, the one where they got the rest of The Hart Foundation on a card vs a thrown together Team USA with a new guy in Steve Blackman, and finally, the one where they did another gang warfare thing with LOD vs Nation Of Domination. These all ranged from terrible to just kind of there. This left us with 3 actual matches on the PPV and these weren't bad at all.

You had Mankind trying to break down the wall that is Kane. Kane truly is a monster here and he is put over as an unstoppable force. Mankind is the perfect foil as someone who will keep coming back for more. Next you have Stone Cold getting his revenge on Owen. This is kind of just a brawl and then you have a Stunner out of nowhere to give Stone Cold the belt. Finally.....finally....we have the rematch of the century. HBK vs Bret in a match that has so much heat it's nuclear. These guys are all over the place and early on you can tell the refs are giving them a lot of leeway as they're brawling all over the place. It's a pure six slobberknocker. Then they get it to the ring and it's kind of an actual match. Bret works over HBK a lot until HBK turns it around and into a sharpshooter and the finish happens. To this day it's one of the more awkward finishes I have ever seen in a match. Earl calls for the bell, Bret looks pissed as fuck and they rush HBK out while he also looks a little pissed off. You can actually see Bret spit on Vince in the aftermath, but it's mostly a confusing chain of events that you don't really understand without hindsight and all of the exposition that has happened since.

I personally feel like Bret worked himself into a shoot by not wanting to do the finish Vince wanted to set up. He let his ego get the best of him and he thought the integrity of the Hitman character was above the bigger picture. I'm not saying what Vince did was right, but he was in a spot where he had a major player leaving his company and refusing to co-operate on the way out.

As an overall show, this wasn't good. The Survivor Series matches were kind of eh, and the best matches of the night were all brawls. There were some good brawls here, and a must watch point of wrasslin' history, but overall I give the show a C.

Fox318

Fox , you got the shoot of the month wrong , this was the real shoot of the month.
head2srspa.gif

Shibata always works like that and I'm sure he cleared it up with the performers before hand.

Imagine being Orton going to work and your boss says your job is to take elbow strikes from an MMA fighter and you have a history of concussions.

Because you know they can't blade or use blood packets because that would be barbaric so lets just have Brock pound your face in and scar up your head for life.

Survivor Series 1997

Good sweet lord, the traditional Survivor Series matches stunk up the place this year. You had the one where they shoehorned two tag team feuds into a Survivor Series match, the one where they shoehorned gang warfare chapter # 1,609 into a match, the one where they got the rest of The Hart Foundation on a card vs a thrown together Team USA with a new guy in Steve Blackman, and finally, the one where they did another gang warfare thing with LOD vs Nation Of Domination. These all ranged from terrible to just kind of there. This left us with 3 actual matches on the PPV and these weren't bad at all.

You had Mankind trying to break down the wall that is Kane. Kane truly is a monster here and he is put over as an unstoppable force. Mankind is the perfect foil as someone who will keep coming back for more. Next you have Stone Cold getting his revenge on Owen. This is kind of just a brawl and then you have a Stunner out of nowhere to give Stone Cold the belt. Finally.....finally....we have the rematch of the century. HBK vs Bret in a match that has so much heat it's nuclear. These guys are all over the place and early on you can tell the refs are giving them a lot of leeway as they're brawling all over the place. It's a pure six slobberknocker. Then they get it to the ring and it's kind of an actual match. Bret works over HBK a lot until HBK turns it around and into a sharpshooter and the finish happens. To this day it's one of the more awkward finishes I have ever seen in a match. Earl calls for the bell, Bret looks pissed as fuck and they rush HBK out while he also looks a little pissed off. You can actually see Bret spit on Vince in the aftermath, but it's mostly a confusing chain of events that you don't really understand without hindsight and all of the exposition that has happened since.

I personally feel like Bret worked himself into a shoot by not wanting to do the finish Vince wanted to set up. He let his ego get the best of him and he thought the integrity of the Hitman character was above the bigger picture. I'm not saying what Vince did was right, but he was in a spot where he had a major player leaving his company and refusing to co-operate on the way out.

As an overall show, this wasn't good. The Survivor Series matches were kind of eh, and the best matches of the night were all brawls. There were some good brawls here, and a must watch point of wrasslin' history, but overall I give the show a C.
The network cut of that ppv was eh, I remember the vhs having the aftermath with Bret's tantrum and shit. So when I rewatched, I was confused.

Top Bottom